ITT, Post interesting teams you've encountered on PBR Wi-Fi

One thing I like about random Wi-Fi is the option to exchange Friend Passes with someone who may have a potentially interesting team. Most notably the Japanese players who tend to use weird UU and BL monsters. Also because they play 3v3 competitively they usually have really interesting strategies that you wouldn't expect to see in 6v6 play around here (no SR / Spikes!).

This is the coolest team I've played by far:

Empoleon @ Expert Belt
Modest
Surf
Ice Beam
Grass Knot
Agility
Does a surprisingly decent job of sweeping once it gets Agility in an environment where Blissey is not on every team!

Azumarill @ Splash Plate
Brave
WaterFall
Aqua Jet
Focus Punch
Double-Edge
I wonder why he went for Brave instead of Adamant? perhaps advance preparation for Trick Room teams!

Drifblim @ Sitrus Berry
Bold
Double Team
Stockpile
Baton Pass
Hypnosis
Haha classic. From what I've seen, there is no shame in "hax" strategies in Japan. lol Double Team. Note this also has unburden for x2 speed after Sitrus Berry!

Ludicolo @ Big Root
Calm
Giga Drain
Hydro Pump
Leech Seed
Toxic
Counters Kyogre quite decently! And apparently Item Clause > Leftovers.

Dusclops @ Leftovers
Sassy
Pain Split
Confuse Ray
Will-O-Wisp
Night Shade
I know for a fact -speed nature > neutral for walls regardless of move selection, at least from all of the teams Ive seen from Japanese players. This further proves my Trick Room theory.

Buterfree @ Focus Sash
Timid
Sleep Powder
Stun Spore
Super Sonic
Bug Buzz
surprisingly 2HKOs my 31HP / 13SDef T-tar, the only logical OU sand streamer in this environment!

I also faced another really neat team with Venusaur / Charizard / Blastoise / Sceptile / Blaziken / Swampert, which has me thinking most people aren't playing too seriously on Wi-Fi (I know the team above has its obvious weak points, as I can't even beat my own CPU controlled team with it :\)

And apparently these guys don't care too much about IVs either, I spent a good hour or so tinkering with level 50 stats on NB, and from the looks of things they only really bother shooting for 1 or 2 31s and the rest are usually mediocre, or at times, incredibly crappy to the point where I know we'd just trash it.

Also note:

-I faced an EV trained Max HP / SDef / Rest / Sleep Talk / Sheer Cold / Horn Drill @ Lefties Lapras, quite epic.

-I've only seen like 3 Uber teams, all of which were quite poorly crafted. Though perhaps this is Nintendo trying to match opponents up fairly.

-Also the couple of Choice Specs Latios I faced imply Lati are not uber in Japan, or else they'd just use Soul Dew.

And yes, I would actually appreciate it if you posted cool teams you've faced on PBR Wi-Fi, not only to invoke an interesting discussion, but because I spend quite a fair bit of time studying this kind of stuff.

I've never play in the PBR, but in the Wifi BT, I fought a lot of Infernapes and Garchomps, but also appeared some Glaceon, Sceptile, Flygon, Froslass... Do you know some japanesse forum to "try" to read their teams in RMTs or it will be quite difficult?. Do you speak Japanesse? xD

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Off topic, but is there a way to make Random Wi-Fi Battles 6on6? They're always 3on3 for me, so I've tried it once, got D/C'd on and not played a random Wi-Fi match since.

The team I faced wasn't original / weird or anything though. Gengar, Garchomp & Milotic.

Most of the teams I face are the horrible rental pass teams. :( I need to unlock more colluseums so that isn't as much of an issue.

Off-topic, is it just me, or would a thread about PBR wi-fi not be better suited for the wi-fi sub forum?

On-topic, the most unusual team I saw was an all bug team with Yanmega, Vespigueen and Heracross. Hera and Yanmega ran normal sets (Hera had a Lo, CC megahorn, stone edge, and i can't remember the third move, Yanmega was hypnosis, bug buzz, air slash and ???) I can't remember what vespiqueen used, but i remember it thrashed me horribly at the time

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Agility Empoleon is badass. That sounds like a team I'd run on PBR; I'd definitely be too lazy to evolve Dusclops! It's good to know there are still battlers who like having fun on an environment as open as PBR.

I used a Focus Sash Weedle / Sleep Powder Substitute Butterfree / and Parafusion Pachirisu to destroy OU teams on PBR. Horray for abusing lack of sleep clause!

I used a Focus Sash Weedle / Sleep Powder Substitute Butterfree / and Parafusion Pachirisu to destroy OU teams on PBR. Horray for abusing lack of sleep clause!
Please tell me that weedle was only for the psychological effect.....
Otherwise no sleepclause is broken and wins you games. Try breloom.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Please tell me that weedle was only for the psychological effect.....
Otherwise no sleepclause is broken and wins you games. Try breloom.
What's wrong with Butterfree? They have the same base speed, Butterfree is obviously not going to be switching into SR, and it has Tailwind for support (it's better than most people think, I kid you not), amongst other things.

Breloom is stuck with the generic Spore-Sub-F-punch that people are tired of. And Butterfree's movepool allows it to double powder when necessary or take out Insomnia users, barring Noctowl and Honchkrow (although Bug Buzz hits for neutral on the latter and only has 1 more base speed, possibly outrunning it if said Honchkrow doesn't carry +speed).

I don't have Wi-fi, but my novelty teams reign in-game. Magnet Rise P2/Sweeping Rhyperior literally streaked me through, especially in the 2v2 colosseums.

I really, really hate the uber hax in-game. My game hates me, I've had to play through the rental ones at least twice because I keep losing to crits and misses.

Porygon2 @ Quick Claw (I had nothing better other than Lum Berry xD)
252 SA/130 HP/64 HP/64 SD

Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Magnet Rise
Recover

Rhyperior @ Choice Band
252 Att/252 Def/6 HP

Crunch (Ghost types otherwise wall the set)
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Hammer Arm

Yeppppp. Go novelty.

What's wrong with Butterfree? They have the same base speed, Butterfree is obviously not going to be switching into SR, and it has Tailwind for support (it's better than most people think, I kid you not), amongst other things.

Breloom is stuck with the generic Spore-Sub-F-punch that people are tired of. And Butterfree's movepool allows it to take out a lot of Insomnia users, barring Noctowl.

I don't have Wi-fi, but my novelty teams reign in-game. Magnet Rise P2/Sweeping Rhyperior literally streaked me through the game.
I wasn't ditching butterfree, I was ditching weedle for breloom. I think butterfre is really good, but weedle still sucks.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I wasn't ditching butterfree, I was ditching weedle for breloom. I think butterfre is really good, but weedle still sucks.
Weedle doesn't learn sleep powder, though, that's how I got confused, sorry. =(

I really hated Neon Colosseum for giving me fucking Kakuna every match. I ended up just poisoning things and dying. x_x

To answer a few questions:

No, I can't speak Japanese though it would be pretty neat to meet someone who could fill us in on their rules.

I don't know if this would be suiting for the Wi-Fi forum as most of those threads there are geared directly towards Wi-Fi trading and Battling.

No, you can only do stadium matches on random Wi-Fi, 3 Pokemon for a single battle, 4 for a double.

Also I meant Dusknoir, not Dusclops. What's strange though is that I have faced plenty of Unevolved Pokemon on well constructed teams.

I saw a dude with an all eevee teem. It was soo easy to beat. They... share weaknesses.

EDIT: I meant eevee evolutions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)