It's all about BALANCE

Hi All! Before I begin, let me thank you for taking time to read this post, and also to Bribes because I somewhat used his presentation format of his team. Also, I have no idea why my pictures refuse to stay small. If someone can tell me how to fix the problem, your suggestion is greatly appreciated :D

My team focuses on being balanced in terms of offense and defense, short and long matches, and at the same time synergise well by having appropriate counters of each pokemon in my team.

My walls have healing abilities, allowing the team to be less liable to wearing down in the long run. Sandstorm is beneficial for my team overall, as the 6% less healing for Blissey does not usually matter, but occasionally causes problems for Latias as it carries Life Orb.

Jirachi - The Anti-Lead
Blissey - The Special Wall/The Cleric
Hippowdon - The Physical Wall
Tyranitar - Offensive Physical
Lucario - Speed Physical Sweeper
Latias - Speed Offensive Special

Overall, this team has done a good job, clinching me wins around 80% of the time, but I would definitely want to increase that percentage. Therefore, by listing my team, I hope that I can share some of my strategies, and also look forward to any suggestions you all might have for my team.

The Leader

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP/252 ATK/252 SPD
Nature: Adamant
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Trick
--------
It has always been my favorite lead. Its typing grants 8 different resistances, immunity to poison, and only 2 weaknesses. It has highly commendable stats as well, with a base 100 for every single stat. The set I use is an anti-lead Jirachi.

Iron Head and Thunderpunch have a heightened rate of pulling off their effects thanks to Serene Grace, and Iron Head is painful with Choice Scarf, flinching and killing pokemon quickly. I managed to pull off 8 flinches in a row against a Swampert, KOing him thereafter. In fact, Iron Head can be used against lead Pokemon who usually aren't used as leads, and if weak enough it is as good as dead.

Jirachi vs Top 10 Leaders (As of May 2009):

Metagross - True, they do have access to Earthquake which can harm me, but most of the time they will start if off with Stealth Rock. Hence, it's safe to Trick them, and then Stealth Rock them while they switch to another Pokemon. With Metagross on Choice Scarf, it is easier to defend against it as it is restricted to the attack it uses after it comes out later during the battle.

Azelf - Lead Azelfs run Focus Sash, and thus Jirachi can easily outspeed with its Choice Scarf and Iron Head it, usually flinching it on the first attack and KOing it on the next. It won't have a chance to Fire Blast back.

Swampert - I face problems with Swampert, because Swampert users have a higher chance of using Earthquake compared to Metagross since not all Metagross has Earthquake equipped, and is more dangerous. Sometimes I would risk it and use Trick while he starts off with Stealth Rock, but then again it may be safer to switch to Latias. Opinions anyone?

Jirachi - In the past I used to face situations where both Jirachis use Trick, which is just plain irritating and places it in a enigmatic situation. Now I just Stealth Rock while he Tricks me since it has no effect anyway, and then switch out.

Aerodactyl - Similar to Azelf, just that Jirachi brings it down to 1% due to its Focus Sash, and then KOing thereafter.

Infernape - Too risky! Iron Head and Thunderpunch don't do much to it, and they have access to Flare Blitz or Close Combat. I usually switch to Hippowdon as it is a solid counter, but I lose against Nasty Plot Infernapes, who would OHKO Hippowdon with Grass Knot after a Nasty Plot setup.

Hippowdon - They usually switch out so I just use Sleep Powder and set up Toxic Spikes.

Ninjask - I have two options, and either would work: Trick it and then setup my Stealth Rock, or switch to Hippowdon and Stockpiling while he Subs and Sword Dances, and then Roaring by predicting when he would Baton Pass.

Bronzong - Against Trickzongs I end up with the Double Trick scenario, but for other common Bronzong leads they usually Hypnosis or Stealth rock first, so I would trick anyway. In the event they do Earthquake, I won't get OHKOed, so I would switch to Hippowdon or Latias on the second turn.

Tyranitar - Iron Head, nuff' said.

EVs are obviously: Ensure that Jirachi would always strike first and strike hard whenever needed.

The Healer

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def/40 Sp. ATK/216 Sp. Def
Nature: Calm
- Aromatherapy
- Softboiled
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave

I chose the Cleric variation for Blissey. My team can be crippled by status conditions, such as Hippowdon by Toxic or Burn, and Latias by Thunder Wave, or Tyranitar by burn... you get the idea. Hence, I would switch in on special attackers with Blissey and use Aromatherapy to heal all of them.

The Showstopper

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 176 HP/84 DEF/248 Sp. DEF
Nature: Impish
- Stockpile
- Slack Off
- Roar
- Ice Fang

One of the most irritating, 'g@y' as some people would call it, Pokemon out there. After Stealth Rock setup from Jirachi, switch him in on a physical attacker, and proceed to Stockpile your way. After 3 Stockpiles, you would probably only need to worry about a Grass Knot from a Offensive Celebi or a Choice Specs Leaf Storm from Rotom-C, if not just Slack Off any residual damage and you would heal 56% (Including leftovers). I changed Earthquake to Ice Fang to handle Flying types or Dragon types who think they can avoid taking damange from Hipppowdon, and do some damage to Skarmory esp.

The Calamity

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 176 ATK/252 DEF/80 Spd
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail

The monster of my team, boasting 604 ATK. It ensures at least a kill, and Pursuit is deadly when used correctly.

For now, I am still learning how to switch him in effectly, so I think I may need some advice for that. This Offensive powerhouse kills or dents most pokemon with the exception of Swampert and Vaporeon (when Aqua Tail is used), and Scizor/Lucario Obviously owns it upside down. I would be glad if someone could suggest how I should use Tyranitar in this team.

The Blur

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 ATK/4DEF/252 Spd
- Extremespeed
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Due to Stealth Rock weakning my opponent's pokemon and being weakened severely by Hippowdon's roaring or Latias' Surf/Thunderbolt, Extremespeed cleans the floor and then Lucario retreats as soon as the opponent sends in a Pokemon that could harm Lucario. Lucario on its on is monstrous, able to sweep everything late game after a single Swords Dance boost.

Edit: Ice Punch --> Stone Edge to handle Gyarados, who is a greater nemesis for my team compared to the likes of Gliscor

The Confident

Latias @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 128 Sp. ATK/124 HP/252 Spd
Nature: Timid
- Recover
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Grass Knot

Latias is a great fast Special Attacker, but more importantly it is durable due to the High Special Defence and Recover. It manages to take non STAB Ice Beams effectly, often taking 35% damage at max, and can easily shrug if off with recover. I usually switch it in when Swampert appears. Grass Knot takes Swampert and other Ground types out, while I can setup Calm Mind on Special attackers.

What I observed
I get owned by Trick teams in the long run, and Trick users like to Trick my Hippowdon and Blissey. Maybe it is because I forgot the Latias and Gengar have Trick sets, but still it is a weakness that I must learn how to overcome.

Threat List
Defensive Threats

Blissey - Lucario pwns it upside down, but Jirachi and Tyranitar have no problem dealing with it. My Blissey can heal off the Toxic/Thunder Wave it might throw at my team, unlike their Blisseys who can't.

Bronzong - Blissey can stop Bronzongs without Explosion, while Jirachi can Trick those lead Bronzong into being useless. Lucario still can take out Bronzong with Close Combat after a Swords Dance.

Celebi - Tyranitar owns it upside with Pursuit, and Latias can somewhat stall it due to its immunities and high special Defence, but Leech Seed can be a pain. Jirachi can Iron Head it to death (yes, it occured quite a few times for me lol).

Cresselia - Jirachi is immune to most of its attacks and can pretty much Iron Head it, while Tyranitar is a perfect counter with Crunch or Pursuit. With 2 Sand Streamers, its Moonlight healing is cut too.

Donphan - Hippowdon resists it completely, while Latias can OHKO with surf or Draco Meteor due to its low Speed and Special Defence.

Dusknoir - Blissey is not afraid of its elemental punches and is immune to shadow sneak, and can heal off its usually irritating will-o-the-wisp. Not a major threat to the team.

Forretress - I haven't faced it with my team, but I forsee it to be a problem. I guess I just have to attack its weakness: low special defence. Hippowdon can withstand it easily, and maybe kill it after a few Earthquakes (?)

Gliscor - Tyranitar can Aqua Tail it, Latias is faster and can Surf it dead due to its mediocre Special Defence, and Hippowdon stops it cold, and can setup Stockpile on it.

Gyarados - Latias can withstand one Attack from it even after a Dragon Dance (Unless it carries Ice Fang), and Thunderbolt it back for a OHKO. However, I tend to switch in Jirachi for a Thunderpunch because more of them are carrying Ice Fang nowadays.

Hippowdon - Tyranitar has Aqua Tail for this Pokemon.

Jirachi - I don't know why, but my Jirachi always beats other Jirachis. If not, Lucario can still hit it with Close Combat after Swords Dance, and Tyranitar should be able to hit it hard with a Crunch.

Rotom-A - Hippowdon stops it cold, so does Blissey. Latias can somewhat defend against it as well.

Skarmory - Irritating on my Hippowdon, but it stops there. Jirachi and Latias are its counters, while Lucario can still 2HKO with with Close Combat.

Swampert - Latias, but I recall a match where I had problems stalling with Latias as the Swampert somehow is able to deal consistent 35% Ice Beams, forcing me to heal constantly since my Surf uses Life Orb, and after I hit him with a Surf, he I am forced to recover again, while he heals with leftovers. The Sandstorm also affected my healing.

Tentacruel - Jirachi, Latias, are sufficient counters, but its rapid spin (if it does carry) is inevitable. Blissey can cripple it with Thunder Wave too, and force him to switch. Its toxic spikes is not too big an issue because my Blissey has aromatherapy, but it is still irritating.

Tyranitar - Lucario is obvious, while Hippowdon can stop it easily.

Vaporeon - Latias can damage it greatly with Thunderbolt, and Blissey can force a switch. however, if Latias has already been KOed, it is harder to take it down. Jirachi usually helps to clear it in this case, but with some effort.

Zapdos - Blissey stops it cold, Latias to a certain extent, and Tyranitar will pwn it too with its increase Special Defence. Hippowdon can stop it provided it does not have Hidden Power Ice or Grass.

Offensive Threats

Breloom - Jirachi can Iron Head it on the switch, or Lucario can handle it as well because it is so frail. Spore isn't a problem because of Blissey.

Electivire - Hippowdon.

Gengar - Blissey =) Jirachi works too.

Heatran - Hippowdon, but sometimes Heatran's Fire Blast hurts my Hippowdon to 50%, and proceed to KO again with another 50% Fire Blast. I haven't done the calculations, so I have no idea how this happens. Blissey can stall if no Explosion is present, but as of yet I have not done so.

Infernape
- Hippowdon.

Jolteon - HIPPOWDON. Blissey and Latias work somewhat well. Tyranitar is viable, but I don't usually send it in.

Kingdra - Somewhat big problem for my team. I only came across it once, but I lost during that one time because I didn't predict a Double Dancer Kingdra. I suppose I would send in a Tyranitar or Hippowdon to mess his Rain Dance up.

Latias
- Blissey ^^

Lucario - Hippowdon. I mentioned him too many times. Jirachi can somewhat fight it too though.

Machamp - Oh my gawd, I just wanna kill this thing cos it's so freaking irritating. When I first faced it, I lost because I was indecisive in using what pokemon to use and I was horribly afraid of confusion damage and elemental punches. Stupid 100% Dynamic Punch. Anyway, now I use Hippowdon to stop it. My Hippowdon gets dented after defeating it, or would just cause my Machamp to flee and appearing again in the future.

Magnezone - Haven't faced it, but I suppose Hippowdon or Blissey stops it (For Hippowdon, it would fear Hidden Power Grass or Ice from Magenzone).

Mamoswine - If Mamoswine is lead, Jirachi usually Iron heads it. It causes me problems, but if I can remember correctly I managed to switch Hippowdon in, and I manage to survive by Slacking Off + Stockpiling. Still, Jirachi is the best solution.

Metagross - Hippowdon stops it cold! Stockpile set-up lol.

Salamence - It is usually a Choice Bander or Dragon Dancer. My best bet would be Hippowdon, and hopefully I can roar it out, but it would have dented my Hippowdon sufficiently. However due to Stealth Rock, it switch-in weakens it by 25%, and soon after it is weakned Lucario can Extremespeed it away.

Scizor - Jirachi/Hippowdon

Starmie - Latias/Blissey, and sometimes Jirachi

Suicune - Blissey will Thunder Wave it, forcing it to switch or Rest if it is weak, and then Tyranitar comes in for the kill. Lucario can do that too, but is slightly riskier

Togekiss - Blissey slow kills it with Ice Beam while greatly resisting it ^^ Aura Sphere doesnt do much to Blissey.

I'm dead tired now after such a long article, but I hope it was worth it. Again, thank you Bribes for having such a wonderful template. It is very detailed and covers all OU metagame Pokemon.

Without further ado, PLEASE RMT!

Unless you specifically use Thunderpunch later in the game, I think you should switch it for U-Turn on Jirachi. You said yourself that you don't use it when facing the top leads, and U-Turn would make prediction so much easier. Besides Gyarados leads, which are seen very seldom now, Thunderpunch won't be helping you much.

Jirachi is my favorite lead by far. I just love how awesome of a Trickster and Iron Head user it is.

Jirachi won't cover Scizor very well, unless Jirachi is packing Fire Punch (Fire Punch is also great for hitting hard other 'Rachi leads among other things). You might want to consider greater HP investment (108 HP EVs gets it to 368 HP), but it looks good.

Personally, I dunno how much Stockpile will benefit your Hippowdon, as chances are you'll be unlikely to get 3 Stockpiles up without being susceptible to status, being Tricked something, or perhaps even Taunted by a Gyarados. Alternatively, you could possibly give Jirachi U-Turn or Fire Punch and the Hippo SR over Stockpile.

Its good to have a cleric on your team, but I'm not sure about not having any HP EVs on your Bliss. Blissey with max HP and Def can survive an Explosion from some Heatrans, as well as possibly survive the odd CB Dugtrio (if Blissey is Bold). Blissey will probably have more trouble with Suicunes than you might expect... Ice Beam is going to do very little damage and Thunder Wave is going to slow it down, but it may not force a Rest. You might want to consider Toxic.

Latias in a Sandstorm with a Life Orb is going to have her durability greatly cut if she's losing 16.5% each attacking turn. UnSTABed Water moves are usually meh (you hit Tyranitar harder with Draco Meteor anyway and she won't survive long after that), you might want to consider either putting Grass Knot over Surf for other Ground types or replacing Surf and Draco Meteor with Calm Mind and Dragon Pulse.

LO Draco Meteor will always OHKO max HP/0 SDef Gliscor if its taken damage from SR (334-394) or even with one Calm Minded Dragopn Pulse (322-381), so yeah Surf I don't think you need on Latias.

Lucario with one SD will get hit by a Suicune with Max HP/352 Def if it is at full health (most likely coming out of a Rest), also Lucario will get OHKOed by Surf if Suicune has one Calm Mind and Lucario uses CC on that turn.

This team seems pretty above average, but I think you'll be having trouble with Defensive teams that use a bit of status. Offensive and Defensive Balance is indeed the key and I cannot stress that enough.

Your team looks like it will have a hard time switching into Swampert, without either Toxic on Blissey or Grass Knot on Latias.

Your team is quite Gyarados weak, so I definitely say keep Thunderpunch on Jirachi at the bare minimum. If you Trick the Scarf away early game, however, DD Gyarados has the potential to beat you handily, taking out everything bar Latias with ease through Waterfall and Earthquake. If said Gyarados have Ice Fang, you probably will always lose, while Stone Edge means Latias will be severely crippled.

I can't really change much on this team as it is very solid, but definitely consider Stone Edge on Lucario so that Gyarados cannot setup on your team. Ice Punch is worthless because it hits only Gliscor, and most Gliscor nowadays have enough speed to outpace even Jolly Lucario. You will be KO'd before you can strike, meaning you lose regardless of whether you have the move that would defeat Gliscor. Stone Edge still maintains your important coverage on Zapdos, Salamence, and Gyarados, all of which are important for your team to handle.

What is Stockpile for on Hippowdon? It seems quite useless without any team support that helps it stay on the field and make use of the move, such as Toxic Spikes or Spikes. Scrap it for something like Ice Fang, which at least makes DD Salamence a non-factor for this team. Or, you could go with the ideal suggestion, which is to replace Stockpile for Stealth Rock, move Hippowdon to the lead spot, and then replace Stealth Rock on Jirachi for another attacking move. My recommendation is Fire Punch because Choice Band Scizor can be a bit of a nuissance firing off powerful U-Turns which nothing on your team resists.

Good luck.

Lucario - Hippowdon. I mentioned him too many times. Jirachi can somewhat fight it too though.
The spical sets of 'Luc can cause you problems, especially if they also have Close Combat to "combat" Blissies.

Scizor - Jirachi/Hippowdon
As Mythtranier said, you do need a fire move to fight Scizors easier. Also after a SD boost Scizor is able to 2KO Hippo with Bullet Punch.

Thats all I can see.
Hope that helps. =]

:naughty:

Hm.. okay, I will make some changes.

I am still going to keep Jirachi as lead, because I think it was and still is a wonder at being an anti-lead. However, I will change Thunderpunch to Firepunch.

Some of you ask what is stockpile for? Well the basic idea is you switch in on something that it resists, and stockpile and slack off at the same time. After 3 Stockpiles, it is pretty much invisible if your opponent doesn't have STABed Grass Knots or Whirlwind on Skarmory. I pretty much encountered many times where people leave after 3 Stockpiled Hippowdon. You just keep roaring and they will take Stealth Rock Damage. Thus, I won't change that for now... Unless my team starts failing.

I will change Latias to Defensive Calm Mind set for greater Durabillity, and it will have a Grass Knot in order to better handle the likes of Swampert.

Lucario's Ice punch will change to Stone Edge for testing. Hippowdon's Earthquake to Ice Fang to handle more threats.

Thank you guys so far for the very useful comments, and do keep them coming :)

I dont have much time for a rate but just one thing, on your Top ten leads list, I question how you will sleep powder then setup toxic spikes on hippowdon...with jirachi

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)