It's a whole new world we live in

Hey!

Just introducing the team: I created this team for a monogen champ, so I decided to test it. However, it failed epically, then I changed some things, but it's not so good yet. Actually, I tried to make a real monogen team, but Johto is not quite THE generation for this metagame.

Prologue:

The first pokemon that I thought. Honestly, I think he is the Johto icon. I don't know whatelse to say.

Scizor is just like TTar, imo. Explain why I chose him? Well, it's not like Scizor and Tyranitar cover each other, but Scizor is a Scizor and in a johto monogen, he can not stay on the bench.

The third is Kingdra. I needed a good water and fire resist, and at the same time, I can use the rain to my avantage, since Politoed is very used.

Hazards are such a problem, as well as leech seed and what could I do to counter Scizor and hazards? She is the answer. More details below.

Prepare for your doom because Salamence is here. No, he is not a Johto member, but I was lack of late game sweeper, since Heracross is a piece of shit on OU and he dies to ember.

The last member of the team. Hazard setuper and physical wall. More info below.

The Team:

Sinner (Tyranitar) (M) @ Electric Gem
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 SAtk / 20 Spd
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Pursuit
- Thunder
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
--- He is such a majestic pokemon. Previously, he was a bulky bander, but is not so good, as the set was in DPPt. I see no need to use crunch, pursuit does everything I want. The magic here is Thunder: I hate Politoeds and the team can't kill it easily, but any Politoed will try to predict the switch and boom, thunder (ok, 50% acc can screw up my plan). Is not an OHKO, but it hurts.

Doom (Salamence) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower
--- No only a mid and late game sweeper, but also a good check for some pokemon. The feared MixMence from DPPt is back. Do I have to explain it more?

Evil Woman (Kingdra) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 136 Atk / 136 SAtk / 236 Spd
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Waterfall
- Surf
- Outrage
- Draco Meteor
---Another mix, another check and another sweeper. Taking advantage of the rain, she can easily be a revenge killer. Surf is only for physical walls like Gliscor, Skarmory, Donphan... Draco Meteor hurts Jellicents and Outrage finishes it. Most of them doesn't predict a mix Kingdra.

Wizard (Xatu) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn
- Roost
- Heat Wave
---As I said above, I used to have trouble with hazards and Scizors and she is the solution. She is more of a scouter and Scizor killer than a real wall. Bullet Punch bander adamant can only 2HKO (even with SR), while Heat Wave is OHKO. The EVs on speed are just to outspeed Scizors, Celebis...

Killers (Scizor) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 8 Def / 232 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
--- Here comes the star. I didn't want a bander Scizor or the standard, so a friend of mine told me about this set and it's so good... I admit he misses U-Turn, however he can do a great job, only using these two. This pokemon can takes hits of everything that hasn't the name of "fire" and counter or recover.

Iron Maiden (Skarmory) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 96 SDef / 8 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
--- The wall. Only spikes, not SR because I use Xatu for bounce it back. Furthermore, she's my second counter for Scizor (althought she can't kill it easily) and physical things.

Epilogue:
I don't wanna make a threat list, so here are the final considerations: My main sweepers (Kingdra and Scizor) are covered by themselves (and the others too), so this team can win some matches (not only because of this, but you understood), but of all the matches I've played, I can only remember having trouble with Thundurus and other Kingdras. Venusaur can do that, as well, if they carry sludge bomb and hp fire, but I didn't see any of them.

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is a very good and unique sand team. But, there is always room for improvement for at team. :)

-Personally, I like the T-Tar set; it's creative and unique. Despite that, it isn't as viable as you think. Thunder + Sand Stream is a terrible pair. If Thunder; WITH Electric Gem doesn't 1HKO Politoed, then there isn't reason to have Thunder, especially with its 50% accuracy in Sand, which is far from reliable. You also have no SR setter, which has completely shaped up the metagame of Pokemon. I suggest a Support Set For Tyranitar. Not only will it setup SR, it's power and enhanced defenses in rain are made to good use. Here is what I recommend:

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 202 SpD / 54 Spe
Nature: Lonely
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Fire Blast

This set is pretty common for T-Tar. Pursuit for those hit-and-runners, Crunch is main STAB. Fire Blast is to check Scizor, one of T-Tar's biggest threat. The EV setup allows T-Tar to outspeed Scizor. It is +1Spd in sand anyways, so T-Tar doesn't suffer that much.

-Change Salamence to a Choice Scarfer. One reason for that is that your team lacks a Scarfer, something vital to almost any OU team, as it allows revenge killing. Scarf + Moxie make a great pair to overwhelm the opponent. The set would be this:

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EV: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Claw

That's all I have for your team; sorry for the weird format, I usually rely on Teambuilding, which is on PS, so I hope it's readable ^^; Good luck with your team! =)

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Hi there!

This is a really solid team with great synergy and a good use of an underrated threat in Kingdra, so huge props for that. However, this team has some fatal flaws that I see, and hopefully with my rate, it can become even better, improving your team and ironing out those aftermentioned flaws. With all that said, let's get up to my rate. First off, I would like to suggest running a full-fledged Specially Defensive spread on Tyranitar over your current one. I don't see any reason to run Electric Gem + Thunder, as Tyranitar has a lackluster Special Attack stat. Meanwhile, with this set, you are able to do what Tyranitar does better than most Pokemon in the entire metagame, which is set up Stealth Rock, which is basically a must have in the current metagame. Moving on with your team, I would definitely use a Rain Dance set over your current one. This set is absolutely phenomenal, as it allows you to take advantage of Kingdra's two excellent STAB moves, while also being a standalone Rain Dance sweeper or being able to take advantage of opposing Rain teams with an insanely high powered Hydro Pump. Moving forward, your Scizors EV spread is a little weird, so I suggest running a straight up EV spread of 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe and a Adamant Nature over your current one. The given EV spread and Nature practically gives Scizor the power and Speed it needs to potentially every threat that appears in front of it. Now, staying on your Scizor, I would recommend running Superpower over your current choice of Roost. With Superpower, Scizor has a way to hit it's #1 enemy, Skarmory and Heatran for some siginificant damage. Well that's about it for me. I hope my advice helped. Have fun and good luck in your future endeavours!

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Fire Blast

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 40 HP / 240 SpA / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Surf

• Tyranitar
    : Current Set -> Special Defensive​
  • Kingdra
    : Current Set -> Rain Dance​
  • Scizor
    : 252 HP / 16 Atk / 8 Def / 232 SDef -> 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
  • Careful -> Adamant​
  • Roost -> Superpower​

~Dr Ciel~

I really appreciate your sugestions (Tyranitar above all), but I need more a counter (or a killer) to Thundurus. Do you have any one?

SpeciallyDefensive Rotom-W is a good counter for Thundurus I've found. It kindda defeats the object of them having it on their team, so it's more a hindrance than a counter but it will have much more trouble beating the Rotom than the Rotom has of walling it everytime.

It's also pretty easy to get it into BP range with a Choice Band Scizor or 1 Dance, the Rotom would make this easier aswell, especially with Volt Switch on a good prediction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)