Invisibility

I just had a funny little thought about what would happen if I woke up with the ability to turn invisible at will one day. Then I realized that I actually could find no use for it whatsoever. So, naturally, I wondered what other people would do if they had the power of invisibility. You can define what the limits of invisibility are. What would you do with that power?

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I just had a funny little thought about what would happen if I woke up with the ability to turn invisible at will one day. Then I realized that I actually could find no use for it whatsoever. So, naturally, I wondered what other people would do if they had the power of invisibility. You can define what the limits of invisibility are. What would you do with that power?
Steal

CaffeineBoost

6th Best Circus Poster of 2023
is a Community Contributor
Let's have a look at our choices. Now as everybody knows, there are only five superpowers:
  • Invisibility
  • Telepathy
  • Time Travel
  • Passively and reflexively making anybody who touches you uncontrollably horny
  • Immortality
Looking at these powers, I can safely say that invisibility is comfortably within the top 3.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i think about being invisible a lot

thinking about uses tends to get sidetracked by thinking about mechanics—can you only turn your own body invisible? do you therefore need to run around naked everywhere? this would make any plans to steal anything rly weird; i think anyone viewing cctv of a suitcase full of money or w/e hovering around would figure you out, even if they couldn't believe their eyes

if you can make your clothing disappear too, what counts? could you hide a backpack? do you hide anything you touch? how big could it go? could you hide other people? would it take more effort to hide more clothing? would being invisible require a maintenance of concentration? would a failure of concentration just expose you to any onlookers, nude and all

you'd have to be so much more careful about crossing the road. frankly walking down the street could be hazardous

applications:
intelligence gathering
wetwork
theft
being one of those stagehand guys that wears black and picks people up at the theatre in order to make them look like they are flying lol

Dorron

BLU LOBSTAH
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Champion
This doesn't have a lot to do with the topic but look how a lot of spoilers allow you to scroll the page to the right (yes they are a lot)

If you are reading this I'll send you a kiss just let me know!! ;)

Not to be that guy BUT being invisible would mean that you would be blind as light needs to reflect off the back of your eyes in order for you to see.
However there is a workaround
The top layer of your skin would need to refract and reflect light in such a way that it bends around you. I have no clue if this would work though, what do I look like? A smart person?

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
Not to be that guy BUT being invisible would mean that you would be blind as light needs to reflect off the back of your eyes in order for you to see.
The top layer of your skin would need to refract and reflect light in such a way that it bends around you. I have no clue if this would work though, what do I look like? A smart
this is fun

if i were invisible i would ride carnival rides for free and also go to the theater for free

also just generally being anywhere i wasnt supposed to so that i could eavesdrop, that'd be fun

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
This doesn't have a lot to do with the topic but look how a lot of spoilers allow you to scroll the page to the right (yes they are a lot)

ohmachi has a lot to answer for

The top layer of your skin would need to refract and reflect light in such a way that it bends around you. I have no clue if this would work though, what do I look like? A smart person?
And this is why I am not a scientist. It's fun imagining a floating pair of eyeballs though (like imagining if only the surface of your eyes refracted light so you could see).

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
I've always thought teleportation would be better than invisibility. The problem with using invisibility to steal is that how do you make whatever you want to steal invisible? If you tried to rob a bank, for example, a load of money would be floating around out of nowhere. With teleportation, you can just teleport right into the safe, pick up the money and go straight back home.
you'd have to be so much more careful about crossing the road. frankly walking down the street could be hazardous

applications:
intelligence gathering
wetwork
theft
being one of those stagehand guys that wears black and picks people up at the theatre in order to make them look like they are flying lol
With teleportation you don't have to cross the road when you don't want to, you can teleport away when you're at risk of being seen while gathering intelligence, and it's equally hard to prepare for someone killing you that's invisible and someone that just jumps out in front of you whenever they want and draws a gun, surely?
if i were invisible i would ride carnival rides for free and also go to the theater for free

also just generally being anywhere i wasnt supposed to so that i could eavesdrop, that'd be fun
With teleportation, you can just teleport past the entry gate to a theatre, and steal tickets or money for carnival rides. And if you plan it properly so nobody sees you teleport in and go somewhere hidden, eavesdropping wouldn't be that hard.
Teleportation solves all those problems too.

Teleportation is pretty cool, especially regarding moving large amounts of mass across space! It might cause its own problems such as teleporting into objects or creating a loud boom when you displace the air upon arrival, though.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
I've always thought teleportation would be better than invisibility. The problem with using invisibility to steal is that how do you make whatever you want to steal invisible? If you tried to rob a bank, for example, a load of money would be floating around out of nowhere. With teleportation, you can just teleport right into the safe, pick up the money and go straight back home.

With teleportation you don't have to cross the road when you don't want to, you can teleport away when you're at risk of being seen while gathering intelligence, and it's equally hard to prepare for someone killing you that's invisible and someone that just jumps out in front of you whenever they want and draws a gun, surely?

With teleportation, you can just teleport past the entry gate to a theatre, and steal tickets or money for carnival rides. And if you plan it properly so nobody sees you teleport in and go somewhere hidden, eavesdropping wouldn't be that hard.

Teleportation solves all those problems too.
teleportation doesn't solve me being a THIEF

i steal experiences, not actual tangible stuff........

i can't believe i spent 3 minutes opening 113 spoiler tags with the expectation that i would get to see Rick Astley, only to not find Rick Astley :psycry:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)