Innovators

Looking at this thread, I'm not sure we even could come up with a better list. There are a lot of misconceptions and misjudgments in this thread already. An artist or social commentator could probably go on and on about how Leonardo da Vinci influenced society and innovated art, and the same could probably be done to Socrates. The problem is that people look for immediately recognizable "innovators", even if they actually shouldn't be credited for what they did. That's why so many people are underappreciated and certain people are overappreciated.

Honestly, Steve Jobs and Thomas Edison were more businessmen than inventors/innovators. I mean, okay, for Jobs you have the iPod, various ergonomic stuff, and a "user-friendly" attitude toward his OS, but it can definitely be argued that he was just as "evil" as, if not more than, Bill Gates, due to his popularization and propagation of certain unseemly business practices. (Not that Bill Gates didn't also do this, but... Come on, a chip that makes the OS not run if the computer isn't a Mac? Measures increasingly limiting the control you have over your own iPod?) For Edison, we don't even know how many of his so-called inventions we can really attribute to him. Plus, he campaigned like a true politician against the evils of alternating current, which was really superior to direct current and is thankfully what is in use today. With Bell, it's kind of funny because the telephone isn't necessarily his invention. Mark Zuckerburg is similar, but Shinryu already addressed that plenty.

See the theme here? The idea that "innovation involves using and spreading the use of an invention that already was invented" can be boiled down to business practices and luck. I just can't look at that and think, "Wow! These people were great innovators because they made the right moves with the resources they had!" I'm not saying that savvy businesspeople aren't innovative, but that this treatment really overvalues them. Notice how Nikola Tesla isn't on the list at all.

Temple Grandin is a weird case. I've heard that her slaughtering methods are not actually superior to others. I also think that she gets kind of overvalued precisely because of her autism. I'm not saying that Grandin is another evil witch or whatever, but we should always think before looking at any individual and saying that this represents autism.

The greater problem at hand is that we disagree on what innovation IS. I would say that innovation is something that changes society and/or our understanding of ourselves and the world, which does NOT mean something that most people perceive to have done so. I would consider both Galileo and Newton two of the greatest innovators of all time, owing to their "invention" of extremely important ideas that shaped how we see reality today. The idea that there is no privileged state of rest is huge because of the sheer insight it gives to various phenomena, and it eventually led to Einstein's special and general relativity. Newton formulated gravity and the three classical "laws of motion" and even invented calculus to do so. Einstein himself is in the same boat, as well as Archimedes, who can be considered the true inventor of the very basic ideas of calculus.

in which case I'm ashamed and disappointed to be the first person to mention Nikola Tesla, the man history forgot (thanks in large part to Thomas "Douchenozzle" Edison)
dammit I took too long to post

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
glad adam is reppin tesla i was like fuck guys come on!!!

edison is a hack

eta: capefeather, the thread subject is innovators, not inventors

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy

I mean, he wrote a freaking book that served as the main textbook for teaching geometry for nearly 2300 years.

Okay fine, it does seem like I mix up invention and innovation, but I think it's hard to distinguish between the two when you're talking about ideas. You invent "tricks" to innovate and articulate "ideas" in new ways. Tricks and ideas tend to come hand in hand, though. I guess it could be argued that Galileo and Newton are more inventors than innovators. Einstein could still be considered largely an innovator of his relativity theories, since it was Poincaré who "invented" Lorentz transforms but never really looked at the physical consequences the way Einstein did.

If we really want to talk about "innovation" in physics in particular, I suppose we could look to reformulations. The way people learn about this stuff now is a lot cleaner than it was when they were originally proposed, thanks to the efforts of people you don't normally hear about in everyday life, such as Joseph Louis Lagrange, Emmy Noether and Hermann Weyl. We could also look to experimentalists, because man, people were (and still are) super-cunning with experiments. People like Ernest Rutherford (nucleus) and Thomas Young (double-slit experiment) did things that I am quite frankly amazed at.

EDIT: Euclid's a very good one!

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
chaos is more of an innovator than mark zuckerburg

also the greatest innovator is god!

karl marx
Marx was an idiot. (How did he make your list but Adam Smith didn't?)

On topic who is Temple Grandin?

My top 5 would probably be (in no specific order): Jobs, Gates, the guy who made air conditioning standard, Crapper (if you use a toilet, he should be on your list), and Ford (the car guy not the president).

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
The only Apple products I have ever used were those old computers in our highschool programming classes. Can anyone explain why Steve Jobs was an innovator? My experience with apple products and the history of apple is severely limited. I understand why Bill Gates could be considered an innovator. He spearheaded a company that basically put his product in nearly every household in America and many around the world. Everybody uses PCs. Is it because Apple products are hip?

Marx was an idiot. (How did he make your list but Adam Smith didn't?)
Marx wasn't an idiot at all. He just had too much faith in the future leadership of the Communist party, and hoped that they would work to further the cause of the people rather than their own selfish gains (If you say that makes him an idiot, John Locke and Baron de Montesquieu are also idiots).

Although, I must agree that Adam Smith should be on there.

Was Steve Jobs an inventor? Not really. Was he an innovator? Absolutely. Innovation isn't really creation, its more of a revamp, which you must give him credit for. Also, a bit late, but @idunno, so Bill Gates copied GUI? The first Apple computer was made out of parts from Windows computers. I'm pretty sure thats gg.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I've been thinking a bit about Bach, though in terms of innovation I am not really sure it is the right word to use. I mean, he was really innovative in an incredible number of ways, but I dont think that is really the important aspect of his work. None of it is really a quantum leap in music.. I think for him it is more of a case of being just really fucking good at his craft, rather than being extraordinarily innovative. I think you could probably make the case that Beethoven was more innovative, but still, comparing him to Newton or Galileo I just dont think he really did enough..

@idunno, so Bill Gates copied GUI? The first Apple computer was made out of parts from Windows computers. I'm pretty sure thats gg.
There was never a computer company named Windows and Microsoft never made computers, regardless. They specialized in software leases. If you hadn't noticed computers that run Windows are made by third party manufacturers.

Jobs basically innovated twice, and then just wrung every last drop out of them.

His major innovation was the concept that technology was a fashion accessory - then he just rereleased existing objects (some of which had been) and slapped a $2000 price tag on them, and hey-presto.

The second innovation, which was something he got from some Danish designer, was the idea that you should make things intuitive to use. People will use an intuitive tool that does a worse job far more readily than one that does a better job but requires a lot of work to use and understand.

breh

強いだね
Well, I decided to look up the definition of innovator (the word walks a fine line with "inventor") and got this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innovator

I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one who didn't know who Temple Grandin was. I'm not sure why 21 or so people responded that she was the greatest innovator.

There was never a computer company named Windows and Microsoft never made computers, regardless. They specialized in software leases. If you hadn't noticed computers that run Windows are made by third party manufacturers.
Ok, I'll admit what i said was worded horribly >.>

I meant to say that it was from computers that ran Windows, which is why he was an innovator, not an inventor. I'm not hating on Apple (hell, this is being written on an iPhone), it's just pretty much fact that most (not all) of what Steve Jobs did was redo already-made products (There were MP3 players before the iPod, tablets before the iPad, etc)

So, in a nutshell, Steve Jobs really is a great innovator, not inventor.
...except for autocorrects existence. Worst. Innovation. Ever.

I meant to say that it was from computers that ran Windows, which is why he was an innovator, not an inventor.
That makes no sense. The Apple II was released in 1977. The first version of Windows was released in 1985.

You should rather point out that the Apple II was designed and built by Steve Wozniak, not Steve Jobs. Jobs never really did anything on the engineering side, he was more interested in design and usability (fields in which he was indisputably a genius). Bill Gates is in the same boat, minus the genius.

As for the topic, as a computer scientist, I have a sweet spot for Charles Babbage, Ada Lovelace, Alan Turing, Alonzo Church and John McCarthy. I'm somewhat unimpressed with everything that's been done since.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I think that if we base our list on who created technology that most affected and changed society it would be, and then we agree that technology is tangible and not political, for example a caste system is a technology but it isn't tangible so we won't include such innovations or developments, then my list looks like:

1. Ferdinand Verbiest- invented the automobile, which was then mass produced efficiently and affected huge change in cultures world wide.
1a. The guy (some say Henry Ford) who invented the assembly line in order to efficiently mass produce things. You can also argue that the assembly line changed wars from being fought mostly militarily to being fought economically, though that is my own abstraction.
2. The U.S Government- listed as second for developing the internet, which has fundamentally transformed global culture. I'm sure someone will try to explain that it was a private company that developed the internet, pre-emptive 'step off bro' if you actually buy that crap.
3. The Wright Brothers- aircraft is an extremely important precursor to several other technologies, and it is my opinion that the ability to step on a plane and in a few ours be in a completely different place fundamentally changes how societies think of the globe in terms of size.

So that's my list, I think if I had to add one more I would add the scientists who developed genetic engineering of crops as it has a had a profound affect on agriculture and societal norms regarding gender roles in work in developing nations like India. Honorable mention then to Gregor Mendel for doing a lot of foundational work in studying genetics with plants.

2. The U.S Government- listed as second for developing the internet, which has fundamentally transformed global culture. I'm sure someone will try to explain that it was a private company that developed the internet, pre-emptive 'step off bro' if you actually buy that crap.
I would say that Tim Berners-Lee was an even bigger innovator since he created the World Wide Web which made web addresses possible.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I forward the notion that Colin Chapman or Charles/John Cooper for basically re-writing the laws of Motor Racing along with Jim Hall (Chaparral). They all did things which no one else had thought of at the time. Cooper put the engine in the back (which is pretty much the standard for ALL racing vehicles bar tintops), Chapman understood how lightness affected tyre wear/engine wear and partially aided in bringing Aerodynamics into F1 and Jim Hall created the unbelievable wing/suction CanAm cars of the 70's.

I guess under sports you could have Fosbury too for re-inventing how to do the High jump :| I guess I see Innovation as taking something that already exists and tweaking it until it's a lot better than it was. Like a totally new way of looking at things.

I realise that My post about Newton and Galileo was taken the wrong way. It was supposed to be a sarcastic statement at many people I've met who have quoted those two as inventors of Gravity.

On topic though I agree with everybody who puts forward Newton, Galileo, Archimedes, Euclid and Nikola Tesla. This is Because their discoveries have shaped the world in terms of engineering and the way we live our lives. Ernest Rutherford should be on the list because with his Gold Foil experiment and therefore the discovery of the nature of Atoms, he revolutionised and innovated our perspective on science. Neils Bohr and Louis De Broglie innovated science again by making steps towards the discovery of the Quantum behaviour of matter and light by proposing Wave-Particle Duality. Einstein "split the atom" or more so showed that it could be split. However the discovery of Nuclear power and Energy hasn't innovated society or advanced it. The Tense Stalemate that was the Cold War showed that Nuclear Weapons have pushed the development of civilisation backwards as it were.

Einstein's Theories of General and Special Relativity again helped advance our knowledge, but as of yet, haven't innovated much of our daily lives. So therefore I believe that as great a man as he is. Albert Einstein isn't an Innovator.

Also, The Physicists at Cern needed an awesomely cool way to tell everyone about their results, so they invented the internet. Pretty Cool.

Einstein's Theories of General and Special Relativity again helped advance our knowledge, but as of yet, haven't innovated much of our daily lives.
GPS is a textbook example of things that would be completely screwed up if we didn't use Einstein's relativity to calibrate things. I just personally don't like the idea of something having to be relevant to everyday life to be considered an innovation, because then things would never be innovations when they happen, but rather, they'd retroactively become innovations. This is also a case where the terms "invention" and "innovation" are hard to distinguish. It's one thing for something to be developed and then for someone else to come along and make it fit for commercialization (whatever form that happens to take at the time). It's another thing for something to simply catch on due to someone's business savvy or whatever.

Filippo Brunelleschi is one that hasn't been added. This dude from the Italian renaissance was the first person to use geometric perspective in his art. He's a pretty big name for those who are interested in Art History.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)