Metagame Inheritance

I was trying to think of some fun sets to use, and I came up with this, not the best idea, but I thought it could be fun. (probably)

Tapu Koko (Magearna) @ Life Orb
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fleur Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Aura Sphere
- Volt Switch

It's fast Magearna, without it's good typing and bulk and most of its power. (and tapu koko w/o elec surge) I thought the idea of a fast user of Fleur Cannon would be nice, and Tapu Koko came to my mind. It gets STAB on volt switch and tbolt, so that's nice. Soul Heart helps it increase it's low spatk so it could probably be used as a cleaner in late game.

Another fun set, also involving Tapu Koko again:

Tapu Koko (Dedenne) @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Cheek Pouch
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Play Rough
- Wild Charge / Thunder Punch
- Recycle /

(hahahaha)

This one probably won't be as viable, but still sounds like fun. Dedenne donating to Tapu Koko gives it the Fairy STAB it wanted (still no elec surge) and also gives it Cheek Pouch + Liechi Berry, a combination that can be useful when subbing, healing it and giving it a free attack boost. Wild Charge is a Electric STAB, but slashed Thunder Punch incase you don't want to keep wearing yourself down. Recycle is there to restart your Berry. (not like i expect people to actually use this)

^
Yeah the donor clause is a complete mess atm, seems like the only thing it looks for is the ability then it takes a swing.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7inheritance-526967391
This replay got just about everything wrong.
Cloyster Weavile is called Trumbeak
Crustle Dodrio is called Vullaby
Tyrogue Bewear is called Gurdurr
Assuming Mold Breaker Haxorus Garchomp was called Pangoro (used Dragon Dance)
Sylveon Tapu Koko is called Gardevoir-Mega
Xurkitree Tapu Koko is called Nihilego
Carracosta Gyarados is called Cosmeom (lmao)
Technician Bullet Bunch Kartana is called Minccino
Crawdaunt Greninja is called Yungoos

The only thing it got right was Tapu Lele Alakazam because the ability is exclusive. Probably would've guessed my Tapu Bulu Terrakion too for the same reason. God knows what it would've picked for the Sheer Force Gengar.

So if this metagame couldn't be approved without the donor reveal mechanic in place I think it should probably be fixed asap.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Screenshot_2017-02-01-09-30-15-1.png

I also keep receiving this as an error although I only inherited from Salamence amd Masquerain as Intimidate users. Maybe it's mixing up the illigalities somehow?

Also yeh ban inheriting from Sableye asap.

Edit: Srry lol didnt realize it came out this big, was on mobile

Last edited by a moderator:
Would this be a useable wallbreaker?

Heracross (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite
Ability: Moxie (Post Mega: Technician)
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pin Missile
- Bullet Seed
- Earthquake/Bulldoze/Rock Blast
- Swords Dance/Arm Thrust

252+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 198-234 (57.5 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 198-234 (49 - 57.9%) -- approx. 98.8% chance to 2HKO
Technician Bullet Seed lets you go through Unaware Tapu Fini and Suicune
252+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Pin Missile (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 288-342 (64.8 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Pin Missile takes care of Unaware Cresselia

EQ, Bulldoze, and Rock Blast are there if you're stupid enough to keep him in against a fire type.
Then you can go with either SD for Boosting or Arm Thrust for coverage.

Magearna seems like it'll be fun to use in this meta since it has so many options that can work well. There's tornadus-T for regenvest, sableye for prankster support, and more
Magearna will definitely be fun, but for RegenVest, Tornadus-T isn't the best. Better options are:

Audino (Magearna) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast

Reuniclus (Magearna) @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball/Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Both of these give her STAB in Dazzling Gleam and Flash Cannon, respectively, and some pretty nice coverage. I'd probably go with Audino though, as she has the wonderful BoltBeam combo and Fire Blast, but It's up to the user. Sad thing is that none of them get Volt Switch.

Magearna will definitely be fun, but for RegenVest, Tornadus-T isn't the best. Better options are:

Audino (Magearna) @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast

Reuniclus (Magearna) @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball/Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Both of these give her STAB in Dazzling Gleam and Flash Cannon, respectively, and some pretty nice coverage. I'd probably go with Audino though, as she has the wonderful BoltBeam combo and Fire Blast, but It's up to the user. Sad thing is that none of them get Volt Switch.
Magearna's definitely gonna be fun. This is the set I've been trying out today and it's been incredible so far:

Starmie (Magearna) Leftovers
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 SpA
Sassy Nature (+ SpD, - Spd)
IVs: 0 Atk, 0 Spd
- Dazzling Gleam
- Rapid spin
- Recover
- Scald

This set right here is about as solid a spinner as you can get. Even without investment, analytic with a negative speed nature is used over natural cure to keep Magearna from being too passive (it's already immune to toxic anyways). Its only two weaknesses, ground and fire, are both nailed by scald and the 30% burn chance commonly patches up its defense. Can't handle set up sweepers tho. With analytic and 130 SpA, you could also go for an offensive set with Starmies movepool (Flash Cannon, Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, T-bolt, Psyshock, etc).

Here's a team that saw decent success on the first day. I topped the ladder at one point, but then again, it's only the first day of OmotM, so take that with a grain of salt (heh). I won't go into a ton of depth here, but this is a team with a very strong defensive core that paves the way for win conditions like Garchomp, Mega Gyarados, and sometimes Celesteela. The team has some great answers to lots of the current meta trends, so give it a try! Might be worth testing if you're looking for a team to climb with, or just want to learn the ropes of inheritance.
Garchomp @ Zygarde
Swampert @ Miltank
Kommo-O @ Starmie
Gyarados @ Carracosta
Celesteela @ Swoobat
Magearna @ Sableye
dat sub 60% GXE
upload_2017-2-1_22-51-41.png
p.s. there's no EV optimization, but I think anything of that sort is bogus when there's not even a meta yet.
Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Milk Drink
- Earthquake
- Heal Bell

Kommo-o @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Skill Swap

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Lax Nature
- Psych Up
- Air Slash
- Knock Off
- Roost

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Metal Burst

This whole "reveal" thing still doesn't work right. Bounsweet doesn't get Queenly Majesty, but if you use QM you get nicknamed Bounsweet. Also Cranidos and Nidoran don't get a lot of the moves that Rampardos and Nidoking/queen get, but if you use those moves you still get named after the LC mon. The Immortal

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-gen7inheritance-527324953
On the whole idea of being nicknamed the LC mon, I think it would be better to use the fully evolved mon rather than the LC mon. Also I think how the donor is revealed should be changed. Instead of changing the entire nickname to he name of the donor, I'd say it be better to show it as a tag under the HP bar. (The tag shows the donor)

EDIT: there are instances in which the fully evolved mon can't be used, but can't P.S. just use something similar to the dexsearch command using the pokemon moves and ability to find out who the donor is?

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
So apparently, if you have a Zoroark on your team, the names of your other mons stay the same rather than changing to what they're inheriting from? Is that how it's supposed to be or is that just another problem that all omotms have early in the month?

Also

Anyone else like the reveal mechanic when it only revealed a mon of the same ability as the one you're inheriting from? It's basically the same as just revealing ability for people that have basic level knowledge, but it really seemed to be a good compromise between no reveal mechanic vs complete reveal mechanic.

This whole "reveal" thing still doesn't work right. Bounsweet doesn't get Queenly Majesty, but if you use QM you get nicknamed Bounsweet. Also Cranidos and Nidoran don't get a lot of the moves that Rampardos and Nidoking/queen get, but if you use those moves you still get named after the LC mon. The Immortal

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-gen7inheritance-527324953
The original Inheritance code wasn't designed with this reveal in mind. Also, changing the donor clause to two is impossible. I need to rewrite the whole thing, which isn't easy given the complexity of Inheritance. For now you'll have to make do with the current version. At least you know the correct evolution family, right?

But what about:

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]

This moves+ability combination is legal on 32 different Pokemon in standard play. For some reason it currently defaults to Tirtouga. This makes me think that it should choose randomly between all the potential donors, but even then that's not super competitive as I can only bluff certain moves if I get lucky and get the name of a certain donor. At the same time I can't think of any reason it should default to tirtouga over any other potential donors.

I don't understand why I am always getting a "set is illegal" message when trying to build a mega-aggron. I was considering the following set :

Clefable (Aggron) @ aggronite
Ability : magic guard
EVs : 248 HP/252 Att/8 SpD
Rigide nature
- Belly Drum
- Iron tail
- drain punch
- knock off

Why is it illegal? It should get back filter when mega-evolving, and that's it! Can someone explain this to me, please?

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
I don't understand why I am always getting a "set is illegal" message when trying to build a mega-aggron. I was considering the following set :

Clefable (Aggron) @ aggronite
Ability : magic guard
EVs : 248 HP/252 Att/8 SpD
Rigide nature
- Belly Drum
- Iron tail
- drain punch
- knock off

Why is it illegal? It should get back filter when mega-evolving, and that's it! Can someone explain this to me, please?
Apart from the inheritance legality bugs, Mega Aggron is not permitted to be used due to its mega stone being unreleased in SM.

Reactions: nv
I've been having fun with the Ultra Beasts this time around.

Nihilego

Good Donors: Solrock, Nidoking
Good Sets: Special Wall, Offensive Hazard setter
Solrock offers it Levitate and reliable recovery in Morning Sun, although it has to make do with Ancient Power. It also gets Will-O-Wisp, and scares off Fire-types so it's quite a good Burn spreader. Or you could run an offensive hazards set inheriting from Nidoking - Sheer Force Sludge Wave, Earth Power and Ice Beam let it hit extremely hard. Overall a decent mon, but nothing spectacular.

Solrock (Nihilego) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 200 SpD / 60 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp / Toxic
- Morning Sun
- Ancient Power
- Earth Power

Nidoking (Nihilego) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock / Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam / Fire Blast

Pheromosa

This thing is OP. Extremely fast and pretty powerful, on the downside it is quite frail. Most of the sets I've seen have been Protean sets inheriting from either Greninja or Kecleo, but I've had good results with a Guts set inheriting from Heracross - Guts gives it amazing power, and Heracross gives it twin 120 BP STABs in Close Combat and Megahorn. On the downside it dies to pretty much any strong neutral move, but it's still extremely threatening.

Kecleon (Pheromosa) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Sucker Punch

Heracross (Pheromosa) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Facade

Xurkitree

Honestly, I've been disappointed with this thing. Yes it hits insanely hard, but its lacklustre Speed, low bulk and lack of resistances make it really hard to switch in. While you can patch up its Speed with either a Choice Scarf or a Rock Polish set inheriting from Rampardos, on the whole I wouldn't recommend this thing. I swapped it out for Tapu Koko and never looked back.

Tapu Koko (Xurkitree) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Rampardos (Xurkitree) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Modest Nature
- Rock Polish
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast

Kartana

This thing is amazing here. So far the most popular set is a Steelworker set inheriting from Dhelmise, and honestly it's easy to see why. Anchor Shot has the power of a STAB Close Combat, and you get Power Whip as well, and even some nice coverage in Earthquake, a boosting move in Swords Dance and even Rapid Spin. I've also seen sets inheriting from Tapu Bulu, but I'm not a fan of those. I've tried an all out attacker set inheriting from Sudowoodo - recoil free Wood Hammer is very nice, although apart from Sucker Punch there's not much reason to use that over the Dhelmise set. So...just stick to the Dhelmise set and you'll be fine.

Dhelmise (Kartana) @ Life Orb
Ability: Steelworker
Jolly Nature
- Anchor Shot
- Power Whip
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance / Rapid Spin

Celesteela

Well rounded stats let Celesteela pull of a number of roles, and it can do them all effectively. The set I've had the best results with is an Unaware wall set inheriting from Swoobat. But it can also be a bulky sweeper with a Quiver Dance set inheriting from Vivillion - Compound Eyes makes Hurricane very spammable - or a Curse set inheriting from Snorlax (Thick Fat means it basically only has one weakness). I've also seen it run a Shell Smash set inheriting from Carracosta, but I'm not a fan of that one. It's well worth using on your team.
Swoobat (Celesteela) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Roost
- Toxic
- Heat Wave

Vivillion (Celesteela) @ Leftovers
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Sleep Powder

Snorlax (Celesteela) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Heavy Slam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
To be continued...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)