In-Game Tier List Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I soloed Gyms 6~8 as well as the before Victory Road battle against Cheren only with Doreida, sleep powder, leech seed, butterfly dance and giga drain (He had Jaroda too!)

Doreida for In-game top tier

Beat the game (White) yesterday, here's my reflections.

Daineki - High Tier. Amazing during early/mid game, Shell Blade + Evolution at 17 is quite potent. Continues to get great movies throughout the game too (particularly Megahorn, you should pick up a Heart Scale before you find the Move Relearner. I know I did, can't remember where though). Don't forget to pick up and give him Boiling Water. Occasionally a bit slow and mine seemed frailer than I'd expect, maybe had bad IVs, but overall a great starter.

Muurando - Meh tier. Pretty strong for early game, Take Down and Crunch early is nice and Intimidate is helpful. But that's basically all it gets until Wild Bolt, at Victory Road. Pretty bulky though, would not really recommend him but if you really want to use him, he's definitely passable.

Hihidaruma - God tier. Think everyone else has said enough. The only thing is that if he doesn't one-shot something, he gets hit hard. But he does one-shot a lot.

Oobemu - Bad. Really, really bad. Hits hard, but he gets outsped by everything and doesn't have much bulk. Completely helpless against dark types too.

Dorzuyuu - God tier. I should point out that I pick him up pretty late, a bit before 7th gym (first Moguryuu I saw in the game). My perception may be skewed, since I got him at a pretty late level, and I had my X-Scissor TM on me. But 10 minutes later with Tabunne farming + the Lucky Egg Araragi give you to catch up, and he was just slaughtering everything. Rock Slide + EQ + X-Scissor is an amazing combination, and of course he gets Swords Dance, and he gets all this fairly early. I think I was able to set up and sweep on 3/4 (Ghost, Psychic, and I think Dark too) of the Elite 4. Again, I do not know how Moguryuu fared early game (can pick him up as early as before 2nd gym). But he was definitely the MVP coming down the final stretch. It probably helped that I never took off the Lucky Egg, and thus was a bit overleveled (51 going into E4).

I'm curious about the ghost pokemon of this generation, any one who used them, what would you rate these pokemon? (Also, apply preevolutions if you caught the pokemon in that form)

Desukan

Burungeru

Shandera

Goruugu

Also, to answer the question about Burungeru (ghost jellyfish) asked earlier, its found on route 4, 17 and 18.

Ok here are all the pokemon i tried out so far:

Wotter: This guy is an incredibly little samurai. I have been using him all the way up to the 6th gym (which i am at now) and he hasn't failed me yet. High tier.

Monkey trio: I don't know anything about the other 2 monkeys because i have the fire one, but the fire one is just a dissapointment. And i dislike the water monkeys face. Undecided tier

Zebolt: By far my favorite pokemon of gen 5. This thing is just awesome in game. Once you get him to learn Spark he can beat just about anything bar ground types. He also gets Nitro Charge. Medium high tier

Doryuzu: He is pretty cool looking, and hits like a monster truck, and in game is all about attacking. Once he gets Earthquake he is just awesome. He sucks early game tho. Medium High tier

Aaken evo: He is no good before he evolves. Once he evolves he is an awesome pokemon if not holding an item, and has Stone Edge/ Rock Slide. Medium tier

Hihidaruma: he is just awesome. Even before he evolves he gets Fire Punch, but Hustle has dissapointed me on the prevo. He also gets Cheer Up. Once he evolves he can have Flare Blitz, Thrash, and Hammer Arm for one great in game set. High tier

Kibago evo line: i haven't evovled it into an Ononokusu yet, but so far i havent liked the 2 prevos. They level up horribly slow, and aren't very good in battle. I don't no how Ononokusu will do, but these two are pretty sorry. Low tier.

Dageki: Pretty good early game. He allows you to do very well against the 2nd gym, and he also gets a powerful STAB in Double Kick. Later in game i haven't liked him much, and ended up just sitting him in my pc box. Medium low tier

I'm having trouble choosing my flying type for Pokemon Black. Shinpora looks amazing(according to the posts here) but has rubbish attack, and the main reason I want a flying type is for Fly, which was physical :P

The other Pokemon I'm considering is Aakeosu. Aakeosu is very powerful, with great offensive and speed stats(140/112 Atk/SpA and 110 Spd) but with sucky defenses. It's ability also hinders it.

I want an opinion from someone who's used the Aaken line. Does Aaken's ability affect you much in-game?

I'm having trouble choosing my flying type for Pokemon Black. Shinpora looks amazing(according to the posts here) but has rubbish attack, and the main reason I want a flying type is for Fly, which was physical :P

The other Pokemon I'm considering is Aakeosu. Aakeosu is very powerful, with great offensive and speed stats(140/112 Atk/SpA and 110 Spd) but with sucky defenses. It's ability also hinders it.

I want an opinion from someone who's used the Aaken line. Does Aaken's ability affect you much in-game?

Edit: Also, has anyone used Shanderaa?
According to everyone else shinpora only really uses 3 moves and it still dominates with them. (Air slash/psychic/shadowball) so you could still have fly for flying around

Aaken's ability doesn't really affect my playthrough because it basically hits like a truck and never really gets hit back. Yes it's a glass cannon, but Pokemon is such an easy game that it doesn't really matter.

:3 I have a question like Kristy.

How early can you capture an Emonga and is it of any worth in-game without dragging the party down? I've heard somewhere you could trade for one?

About what gym do you get Aaken or the turtle?

And is Shikijika any good?
You can actually get the fossils (Aaken and the turtle), after the 3rd gym but before the 4th gym. You have to go through the desert and you'll find it in the Ancient Castle.

I haven't tried Shikijika but it seems quite strong. With Wood Horn/Jump Kick/Faint Attack/Return, you have perfect coverage. Not to mention it's final evolution looks awesome. The thing also learns SD, Double Edge, Megahorn and Wild Bolt if you're interested.

:3 I have a question like Kristy.

How early can you capture an Emonga and is it of any worth in-game without dragging the party down? I've heard somewhere you could trade for one?
You can find it in Route 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Dragon Sprout Tower, Giant Hall, Fertility Shrine, Illusion Forest (got this from Serebii).

Or if you go past the 6th Gym city, you'll find a house where a guy will trade you a Lvl. 30 Emonga for a Gantoru (2nd evolution of that rock with one eye)

Has anyone tried the Shibirudon line yet? How early on does it come? I've been intent on using it when the games finally come to Europe.

This thread just makes me even more excited. I'm really glad that Shinpora is such a powerful force, because it's a pretty damn awesome Pokemon.

Has anyone tried the Shibirudon line yet? How early on does it come? I've been intent on using it when the games finally come to Europe.

This thread just makes me even more excited. I'm really glad that Shinpora is such a powerful force, because it's a pretty damn awesome Pokemon.
Earliest I found him was in the electric cave...which was I believe between fifth and sixth gym. Seemed pretty rare, I only saw one going through the place.

Earliest I found him was in the electric cave...which was I believe between fifth and sixth gym. Seemed pretty rare, I only saw one going through the place.
Its a really crappy ingame pokemon. Only gets a proper move with level up at lv 39. And any FE pokemon should have at least 70-75 speed to even be considered viable for ingame.

And yes Mebukijika is really cool. Jump Kick/Wood Horn/Wild Bolt/Double Edge is amazing combined with 95 base speed.

Its a really crappy ingame pokemon. Only gets a proper move with level up at lv 39. And any FE pokemon should have at least 70-75 speed to even be considered viable for ingame.
Well that's a bit of a let down. At least it leaves me room for Shinpora (and there's probably another free space considering how incredibly late Monozu shows up...)

I soloed Gyms 6~8 as well as the before Victory Road battle against Cheren only with Doreida, sleep powder, leech seed, butterfly dance and giga drain (He had Jaroda too!)

Doreida for In-game top tier
Seems like a time consuming method to win. How long did battles usually go on for/what was your strategy most of the time?

Seems like a time consuming method to win. How long did battles usually go on for/what was your strategy most of the time?

> Put first poke to sleep
>Leech seed

DID IT WAKE UP?

Y: Sleep powdre
N: Butterfly dance.

Repeat till you used Butterfly dance 5 times, heal up if necesary

SPAM GIGA DRAIN/SLEEP POWDER

yeah.

For the rest of my team

Daikenki (Hiago): This guy is cool. He beats the shit out of things with surf all day. He also gets X Scissor, Revenge and other shit for great coverage. Sadly his nature gives me -atk + sp. atk. But he is still a great attacker, although frail and not too fast in my opinion. Mid Tier.

Muurando (Angie):
I love this dog. Can take hits beter than Hiago, has a monstruous attack stat and decent speed. She crunches and take downs and digs bitches and doesn't afraid of anything. Mid-High Tier

Rankuurusu (Quixo):
To be completely honest, he was complete shit before he evolved into Rankuruusu. He had monstruous SP.ATK, but was killed by everything and everyone in one hit. Now that he evolved, he has more decent defenses. And if you send him to fight against the appropiate foe he is a valuable asset. He just sucks early-mid game. Mid-Low Tier

Goruggo (Weiss):
I love this guy. Picked him up, evolved him, gave him FLY FOR GOD'S SAKE. He has monstruous attack and can take hits fairly well. He only lacks a good STAB ghost move for me, since he didn't come with Shadow punch (I should amke my heart scale useful, eh?). Earthquake will be pimp when he gets to lv 50. Quixo and Weiss make the Fighting Type E4 a joke. He is also awesome.

Nattorei (Tetsu):
Amazing Tank. Great Attack. Power whips bitches to oblivion and always has explosion just in case. Took out Ghost E4's Desukan at lv 42 in three hits. Mid-High Tier

Doreida (Rosie): lol High-God Tier. I just soloed the psychic E4 with her

Although take into account, I'm still grinding at the E4 and not done with the game

Mijumaru: Top or High Tier
Samurai otter is amazing. Its balance of defense lets it dish out hits, and take a bit too. It loves mid game where there are lots of Ground and Fire types. And if, for whatever reason, you decide not to use it, it learns a crapload of HMs. Its only low point IMO is Electric gym.

Vultina: Middle Tier
Its offense might suck, and its not around for a lot of the game. But Dark and Flying is excellent against 3 of the 4 Elite Four. It also has a wonderful combo against physical attackers in the form of Flatter + Punishment.

The Three Monkies: Low Tier (Water possibly a bit higher)
They should all be grouped together. They're so similar. Basically, they exist to make the first gym easy mode, and then they go rot in a box. Cut utility is nice, and Water Monkey does have Surf, Waterfall and Dive utility as well.

Chillarmy: Upper Middle Tier
Its a great replacement for Yorkie in the game. Technician + 3 multihit moves (of Normal, Grass and Rock) hurts a lot. Wake Up Slap is also its best way of damaging steels, and it gets a Technician boost too. Its evolution stone comes up pretty soon; feel free to evolve it after Level 31 (Gets Wake Up Slap). However, its frailty is a big downfall.

Desukaan: Lower Middle Tier
It does a great job as a wall while you heal the rest of your Pokemon, but its stuck with Shadow Ball as its only means of decent offense. Its also painfully slow. Will-o-Wisp is a nice touch though.

Tamagetake: Utter Trash tier
It has no movepool, no offense, and only mediocre defense. Sure it gets Spore, Toxic and synthesis through level up, but it can't use it when it dies in two hits. Spore isn't even gotten until Lv. 50. Anything that resists Grass is something it has problems with, and lots of Pokemon resist Grass. Oh, and no HM utility either. (Chroneko>Tamagetake)

Gear: Middle Tier
Its movepool is sparce, consisting of only Electric, Steel, Normal and Rock Smash. But it does have three useful moves: Gear Saucer, a 50BP Steel move that hits twice (effectively 150BP), Body Purge, a steel version of Agility, and Gear Change, which is a combination of Agility and Howl. Gear Saucer is really all it needs for offense; after a Gear Change, things die.

Mamanbou: Middle Tier
Its really bulky, but its offensive movepool only consists of Waterfall and Wake-up Slap. It really shines in Doubles or Triples though, using Wide Guard and Helping Hand (possibly Healing Beam if it can target allies) to aid its teammate(s) out.

Shikijika: High Tier
Its gotten during the middle of the game, and it is sickingly useful. It comes near a Ground gym, and Grass type>Ground type. Faint Attack gives it somewhat of an advantage in the Flying gym (against Kokoromori), and Jump Kick lets to destroy the Ice gym. A combination of Wood Horn/Jump Kick/Megahorn (gotten with Heart Scale) lets it pretty much solo the rest of the game.

OK so I just beat the 7th gym and my team stands at Smuglord / Fossil Turtle / Centipede / FireGorilla / Mole / HMSlave. My thoughts on each of the following-

Smuglord- The only thing this guy really has going for it is bulk and speed. It doesnt get good coverage moves; I have to deal with Leaf Blade / Return along with Coil and Giga Drain for my moveset. Smugleaf does decently well during early game though, Grass Mixer is a pretty damn awesome move, especially along with an early Growth. In fact, you can just Growth up on anything that wont do super effective damage to you, and then just sweep the remainder of the opponents team. Its evolutions are also pretty good at tanking through tough fights. But IMO Wotter would be a better starter considering the lack of very good water mons in this game, as well as it having better offenses (75 / 75 for Smuglord is very mediocre) and better movepool in Megahorn and Revenge by Heart Scale and level up respectively.

Turtlemon- I got this as soon as I could, and seriously, this guy is a fucking beast. he comes at Lvl 25 when you revive it- to put it in perspective, Gym 4's strongest mon is at Lvl 26. Sure you have to trek back to Gym Town 2 to revive it, but its worthwhile IMO. Solid Rock and Sturdy are both great abilities, and it gets Aqua Jet early on to bypass its abysmal speed. You can then teach it Rock Tomb via TM and Dig / Smooth Over (from gym 5) to complete its moveset. Crunch is pretty helpful as well. Its evolved form kicks even more ass- it learns Shell Break at lvl 40, Aqua Tail at 45 and Rock Slide at lvl 51. Im struggling to say how good this turtle dude is, its just sooo goood.

Centipede- You get the first form at around lvl 15-18 in the forest after 2nd gym, and it learns some good moves soon- Poison Tail at Lv 19 and Bug Bite at Lv 22. But after that, its a pretty big burden until it evolves into the final form at Lv 30. And then it starts to shine. 112 Base speed is excellent, and 90 Attack is good enough ingame, especially with access to high power moves such as STAB Megahorn from Heart Scale. It can also learn Smooth Over and X Scissor, TMs which you get soon enough after evolving it.

FireGorilla - You get its prevo at lvl 15-19 in the desert, even higher in the hidden part, and it comes with Fire Fang and Headbutt. If you leave the building of trainers in Hiun city for this guy, you will get your powerhouse in no time. I got mine at lvl 15, took it through that building and came out with a lvl 19~ powerhouse. The only trainers it had some trouble with were the Basurao users. The Bug gym helped it level up till 22, when it learns Fire Punch. The gym leader was just OHKOd throughout, apart from the Rock / Bug who should be no trouble for any other mon not weak to Rock Blast. After that it just keeps getting better, with Flare Blitz and Thrash fairly early on. After evolution, encourage Flare Blitz just OHKOs everything. Thrash and Hammer arm also give good coverage alongside. This mon singlehandedly makes the Fire monkey and Fire starter absolutely redundant. A must have on every team.

Mole- I got lucky with him and managed to catch a lvl 10 prevo in the first cave in a shaking patch. Its a bitch to raise until lvl 19 since its so frail and you cant really take foes out with Fury Swipes and Metal Claw quick enough, but after Dig at lvl 19 it starts to get better. Slash, Claw Sharpen and Rock Slide all in the 20s is great, and evolution at 31 is pretty decent too. However, one may be better off holding evolution till level 33 when the prevo learns EQ (as opposed to lvl 36). After this he gets Swords Dance at lvl 42 and by then you get a moveset of SD / EQ / RockSlide and one of Slash / Xscissor / Shadow Claw, which is pretty awesome considering your core moves are all learned by level up.

I also used Terrier until gym 5, and it was a pretty damn good tank. Intimidate was helpful, and STAB Take Down just OHKOd everything, and Crunch was great for hitting ghosts. But then it starts getting redundant and you get tempted by other, more exciting Pokemon on your journey and just have to let the little guy go :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)