XY OU Improving a Bulky Offense Team (Currently at 1500)

This team was built around bulky-offensive pokemon with an emphasis on the FWG core of Heatran, Mega-Venusaur, and Rotom-W.The team is currently around 14-1500 on the PS ladder and still climbing, but there are definitely improvements to be made.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp

Heatran is usually the lead to set up SR and check things like Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Talonflame. Lava Plume is the obligatory attacking move with a nice chance to burn. Protect makes predicting this set a nightmare and allows to stall for burn damage/Lefties recovery. Will-o-wisp is a nice way to surprise sets who will try to set up on this Pokemon like Garchomp and Gyarados.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Offensive Venusaur becomes a menace simply because of it's ability to remain tanky while dishing out major damage with Dual-STAB's. The moveset is pretty self-explanatory, with HP-fire just there to deal with steel-type resistance to the STAB's. The best thing about this pokemon is that many teams seem to have either only 1 or 0 responses to him.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Completing the FWG core, Rotom-W plays a fairly utility based role on this team. Holding WoW just in case Heatran dies or can't reliably switch in to checks allows Rotom-W to stop a lot of physical attackers. Pain-Split is the only way that Rotom-W stays "healthy" but isn't that reliable. The other two moves allow for Rotom to switch out of otherwise painful matchups and for it to have some offensive presence.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 192 Atk / 4 Def / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

Gyarados makes use of the switches that Venusaur and Rotom-W force and sets up a free Substitute that lets it beat out most checks. It's usually relegated to mid/late-game damage and cleanup. It pairs well with Excadrill to form a strong Water-Steel offensive core.

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Latios serves as the team's revenge killer and a powerful special attacker. Sometimes it even functions as a late game cleaner with psyshock. Its purpose is very obvious, and it is extremely predictable. But when it gets a chance to shine, it easily breaks down the enemy team.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Excadrill with Air Balloon is surprisingly good. Pseudo ground immunity gives it a lot of free switch ins. It's a strong physical attacker, which compliments this team well. Rapid spin is very helpful to clear SR for Gyarados. It pairs nicely with Gyarados and Rotom for its electric immunity and overall synergy with the team.

Team Gripes

A lot of the time, some Pokemon don't seem to do what I want them to do.
-Heatran is only good at setting up stealth rocks, but after that is almost completely useless.
-Latios is a strong revenge killer but I don't like getting locked into Draco Meteor, and Draco Meteor sometimes even misses. It also gives the opponent free switches after the revenge kill.

Changes Considered

-Replacing Latios with another Revenge Killer that is not as prone to being easily exploited. (Talonflame?)
-Putting Rapid Spin with SR on Excadrill and replacing Heatran with a different Spinner/Defogger. Excadrill could also keep RS and add a different SR user.

pj

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
Hi buddy you have gotta nice team there still I have a few suggestion like
1)Let see heatran moveset I suggest that will-o-wisp>toxic/roar I see rotom-wash which an counter Physical attacker like garchomp so no need of will-o-wisp roar may help in some time.

2)you can try calm mind keldeo over gydarados cuz I think it can actually act well atleast better than gyarados moveset are
Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 52 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Calm Mind
3) finally I see problem in your Ev spread of Rotom-wash I would suggest this EVs: 252 HP / 88 SpD / 168 Spe as it will outspeed mega herracross with 252 Spe and Adamant nature which may cause you trouble after Latios is Dead
and have fun with this team

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)