Rejected Improve the recognition of a shiny pokemon on your team

Currently, the only way you can tell if a Pokemon is shiny in battles is when they enter the field. There's nothing to indicate that it's shiny when you hover over the six members of your team. Right. This is done to protect tactics that use shiny pokemons, I assume. But my point is not about that. It's about you currently being unable to check whether or not you have a shiny pokemon on your own team and not on the opposing team. When you're in a random battle, it's impossible to know if you have a shiny pokemon until you play them on the field. There is no indicator.

My suggestion is to have information, along with the others (pokémon name, pokémon type, pokémon hp, pokémon skill, pokémon item, Atk, Def, SpA, SpD, Spe and the 4 moves) that says " shiny" that is visible to you, and becomes visible to the opponent when you send your shiny on the field.

This will mostly help random and new people.

(01) If the chance of a glowing pokemon appearing randomly is that low, 1/1024, it would be great to have an indication in the basic information you get from your pokemon when you hover over it. Novice players won't always know they have a shiny pokemon on their team (even when pokemon enters the field) and it would be good to know that (with a visible indicator in pokemon info when hovering over it). "Hey, look, I have a shiny!" It's a nice/interesting thing to talk about.

(02) This would optimize the hunts in [Generation 8] Random Battle Unrated (challenges/events). Instead of just checking by hovering over your team's pokemons easier (as I'm suggesting now), currently you're required to manually submit them one by one (with my suggestion this will no longer be necessary).

My suggestion is to have information, along with the others (pokémon name, pokémon type, pokémon hp, pokémon skill, pokémon item, Atk, Def, SpA, SpD, Spe and the 4 moves) that say "shiny" :

(A) Not visible to your opponent in team preview (overused, for example);

(B) Visible to both players if their pokemon is already on the field (the opponent is also able to see the word "shiny" when hovering over your pokemon if your pokemon has already entered the field and revealed which is shiny);

(C) Just like pokemon information is being saved as the battle goes on (for example, if a Snorlax revealed Leftovers, even if it leaves the field you will be able to hover over the Snorlax Sprite and see in the information that the item is Leftovers), once a shiny pokemon is revealed, the information will continue to be visible not only to you, but to the opponent as well, even after the shiny pokemon leaves the field (after all, the information is now known and makes sense).

It would also be nice, just if possible, a message somewhere in the battle or in the battle chat, indicating the rarity of finding a shiny in case you found one, informing you of the chance of 1/1024.

Last edited:
Note: Even with !showteam (even because visual information adds too), I believe it can be something low priority, QoL.

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I'm going to reject this. If a visual indicator of "the Pokemon's color is different than normal" isn't enough, then I'm not sure what adding something to the tooltips hover would add. Since this is chiefly for identifying Pokemon in random battles, you likely aren't going to notice the "hey, I'm Shiny!" indicator because it's not a regular occurrence. Surely you would notice the color difference before the tooltips indicator. If you're unaware of what a Shiny even is, then I don't think a "I'm Shiny!" indicator would mean much either.

As you have already identified yourself, the showteam command can be used if you are, for whatever reason, attempting to find a Shiny in random battles as quickly as possible. I don't really see the appeal myself of mass-forfeiting games until you find a Shiny. But even assuming that's a thing, it doesn't in any way tailor to Showdown's primary purpose, which is competitive battles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)