Done Improve help for non-autoconfirmed users trying to talk in modchat/PMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
Battles do a pretty reliable job of prompting someone to register if they haven't already, but I've noticed that the Help Room still gets loads of questions like "what is autoconfirmed" and "what is a ladder battle"? To help with this, I am proposing some minor changes:

1706915890398.png
An unrelated conversation with Felucia brought to my attention that this is the message you get if you try to chat in a room with modchat set to autoconfirmed (ac) and you're 1) not registered OR 2) registered but not ac.

For unregistered users, I was thinking we change the wording here to something along the lines of

"Moderated chat is set. To speak in this room, your account must be autoconfirmed, which means being registered for at least one week and winning at least one ranked game."

A lot of new users do not realize that having a username =/= having an established account, and "ladder game" isn't as universal as "ranked" or "rated" is. Can we also get a second sentence that says "Register now or join the Help Room if you have further questions about this process!" where "Register now" opens the window to add a password, and "Join the Help Room" is a button/hyperlink that takes you to the room?

I was hoping to somehow fit in the whole /faq ac part about "In order to prevent spamming and trolling, most chatrooms only allow autoconfirmed users to chat. If you are not autoconfirmed, you can politely PM a staff member (staff have %, @, or # in front of their username) in the room you would like to chat and ask them to disable modchat. However, staff are not obligated to disable modchat." but this information is kind of privileged, as it's probably best if new users aren't pressing staff to disable modchat en masse. I also couldn't figure out a way to add this without turning the "modchat is set" msg into an unappealing textwall...

1706916669484.png

Similarly, can unregistered users trying to PM someone get the same option to go to the Help Room w/ further questions?

Last edited:

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
Redirecting to help is a lot, I think - not generally big on hardcoding specific rooms in the core server code - but the message change is certainly trivial enough, and probably would help a fair bit. I can and will do that right now.

EDIT: this is done, will be marking this as complete

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)