I Win by Hax

I just got back into the game two days ago since Latias came back in D/P and I must say, the game sure has gotten a lot funner. I've been using this team to some success, getting to rank ~200 on the Pokemon Battle Center server of Pokemon Online (pimpoleon, lol).

Team Overview:

And here's the standard OU team:

Metagross @ Lum Berry
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch
I personally think this is one of the best leads right now, simply from using it. Metagross doesn't fear much, probably only Hippowdon and Gyarados. This Survives +1, LO Flamethrowers from Genesect and most unboosted fire attacks at full health. I just set up Rocks and either stay in and kill things, or switch out for later use. Lum Berry is for those annoying things that set up Rocks then uses status moves. Just Meteor Mash/EQ them and finish them up with a Bullet Punch.

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute
Heatran absorbs fire attacks if I really need it to. Sub up and this thing can combat Tyranitar pretty well and especially Excadrill. Comes in on Ferrothorn and fire off STAB Fire Blasts. Fares off against Gliscor pretty well if you have a Sub up or predict it switching in.

(Garchomp) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
A Chomp that my friend and I made. Max Atk EVs to maximize damage output on the Outrage. 120 Spd EVs hits 445.5 (herp) and it outspeeds base 85s with a Scarf and things like Gyara and Dragonite after a DD. The rest of the EVs are put into HP for more bulk. This thing can survive unboosted EQs from Excadrill and kill it with EQ after you get rid of their Balloon.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SAtk / 128 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
Standard Washtom. This thing has pretty good synergy with Heatran. Will-O-Wisp misses way too much for me, but it's good to weaken things that set up. Also can be used to counter stall a bit. STAB Hydro Pump is crazy strong and pretty good for neutral damage on things. Pain Split is for a weak form of recovery and is funny to use on Blissey. Counters Chandalure pretty well.

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 8 HP / 252 SAtk / 248 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Priority Subs are useful for scouting and prevents Breloom from Sporing you. From there, you can set up Nasty Plots and fire off STAB Thunderbolts or HP Ice for universal coverage on most Pokemon. I believe 248 EVs is all you need to outspeed the base 110s like Gengar.

Conkeldurr (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Guts
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Payback
Conkeldurrp is beastly. Takes physical hits like a champ and does huge damage. Bulk Up when you can and Drain Punch to heal up. Payback gets those ghosts and psychics that like to switch in, and Mach Punch is good for revenge killing. People also like to use things like Toxic and Thunder Wave to wear it down, but Guts just makes that a bonus instead of an asset.

Threats
  1. Calm Mind Virizion
  2. Calm Mind Reuniclus
Hello Lang Jai, this seems to be a solid team, just a few threats that you may have trouble against. It seems that Virizion could switch into Garchomp's Earthquake or Stone Edge, or come in on Rotom-W to get in a Calm Mind boost, which will aid it in bringing this team down with boosted attacks. Reuniclus is in the same boat as Virizion, as it can come in on Conkeldurr and Garchomp's relatively weak Fire Blast, force both out and gain a valuable Calm Mind boost to make it easier to rip through your team, and use Recover along the way to remain healthy.

Solutions:

• Solution A: Specially Defensive Jirachi over Metagross
IMO, Metagross is the weakest link of the team, you really have him just to "lead" the team, which isn't so much of an important role in the metagame anyway, thanks to Team Preview letting your opponent send in something that beats Metagross. Jirachi however is a similar Pokemon to Metagross with a similar typing, but with extra perks of being a great check to Calm Mind Virizion and Calm Mind Reuniclus, and other Special Attackers such as Specs Latios and Calm Mind Latias. Calm Mind Reuniclus cannot 2HKO Jirachi with any of its boosted attacks, while it will usually go down between Iron Head flinches and Wish to keep Jirachi alive. Virizion can also be handled in a similar way, except you have Fire Punch as well which has a chance to 2HKO the musketeer (and Thunder wave slows it down so something like Heatran can revenge it later if it switches out). With this, I think you should try Stealth Rock over Substitute on Heatran, as you don't lose anything, since Tyranitar and Excadrill are handled pretty well by your team, which is one of the main reasons you used it as listed in the description. Heatran makes a sturdy user of SR, being able to switch in mid game thanks to its handy resistances to set up the rocks.

Outside of handling the dominant Special Attackers, Jirachi is also a good team player, assisting the team with Wish, which Thundurus finds especially useful with Stealth Rock and Substitue constantly sapping away at its health. In fact, I'd like for you to try the Prankster set, which utilizes Taunt and Thunder Wave to stop potential entry hazard set up from the likes of Deoxys-S and Ferrothorn. This also allows Thunderus to be a good starter in most battles, as most players want to set-up hazards first thing in the match. The paralysis support from the two will also help Heatran and Conkeldurr later on in the game, as they would be able to outspeed the 'mons that are meant to be faster and maim them with strong assaults.

Movesets:

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Spe
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Thunder Wave / Body Slam
- Wish
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
---

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave / Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
---

So to summarize:
  • SDefensive Jirachi > Metagross
  • Prankster > NP Sub set on Thundurus

GL

The only difference in that Garchomp than ALL of the ones used by EVERYONE was its EV spread and its bad because Scarf Chomp doesn t get his job done with that few EVs invested in Speed. He needs to Outspeed base 92 this gen with Scarf

@LK; Thank you for the great suggestions.
Funny you mention Virizion, because I did have minor issues with it when facing this one guy who used an SD set of it. And you're right, those two CM Pokemon are quite a big threat to me and I will definitely test out Jirachi. You're suggesting a set that runs something along the lines of Fire Punch, Iron Head, Wish and Thunder Wave, correct? EDIT; didn't see the sets in the spoiler tags, sorry. Heatran's can definitely take over the role of setting up Rocks, but I do like setting up Rocks in the beginning and Metagross' bulk was perfect for that. I'll test it to see how it works out.

I'm not sure if I would like the Taunt/T-Wave set of Thundurus as much because it seems to lack power in being able to sweep. I do like getting a priority T-Wave off to help pave the road for my next Pokemon to come in, however. Would Thundurus be a good lead if I ran that set?

I seem to have some issues with Volcanroa occasionally, is there anything I can do as an out for it? Will T-Wave Thundurus be a decent way to get rid of Volcanroa?

The only difference in that Garchomp than ALL of the ones used by EVERYONE was its EV spread and its bad because Scarf Chomp doesn t get his job done with that few EVs invested in Speed. He needs to Outspeed base 92 this gen with Scarf
Why base 92s?

The EVs spread was supposed to have enough HP to survive a hit from +2 Excadrill's Earthquake after switching into Rocks, but I still need to take a few points off of attack for that so I'm not sure if I'd stick with it.

Max speed on thundurus to at least tie with another thundurus. 4 EVs in HP are useless anyway

Max Atk EVs to maximize damage output on the Outrage. 120 Spd EVs hits 445.5 (herp) and it outspeeds base 85s with a Scarf and things like Gyara and Dragonite after a DD. The rest of the EVs are put into HP for more bulk.
Bulk for what? Chomp serves as a revenge killer, he needs max speed to revenge Lati@s, +1 Mence...Those HP EVs are useless, too

I'm not sure if I would like the Taunt/T-Wave set of Thundurus as much because it seems to lack power in being able to sweep. I do like getting a priority T-Wave off to help pave the road for my next Pokemon to come in, however. Would Thundurus be a good lead if I ran that set?

I seem to have some issues with Volcanroa occasionally, is there anything I can do as an out for it? Will T-Wave Thundurus be a decent way to get rid of Volcanroa?
Well TBH, your current set isn't really utilizing Thundurus properly since Substitute really shortens Thundurus's life span in addition to the SR weakness. You could just use Focus Blast over Substitute and use a Life Orb. Yes, Thundurus would make a good "lead" in that it can incapacitate many of the SR users usually sent out at the start of a match, like an anti-lead of last gen. For Volcarona, you have Garchomp to revenge it with Stone Edge, keeping him safe when you see Volcarona on Team Preview would be a good idea, so it shouldn't be a huge problem. Thundurus does help with the issue, since a paralyzed Volcarona won't be sweeping you anytime soon, and that goes for pretty much any Speed boosting sweeper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)