I think I've got something going here

Alright guys and girls here's the thing: I've been having trouble building a team lately, and I think I have something going here. Any thoughts are welcome.

XYZ (Charizard) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz

I wanted to try out Megazard X for a while, so I decided to now. He's here to do some damage, plain and simple. He comes in, mega evolves, maybe get a Dragon Dance in, and then tanks whatever pokemon is on the field. I picked Dragon Claw over Outrage like many people do because of fairy pokemon running around. I'm thinking about trading something off for Roost, but I'm not sure what if I do. I'm also thinking I might run something more like Tankzard, but that's less likely.

Shadow Realm (Gengar) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt

Gengar comes in as a special sweeper and a pretty good revenge killer. He can switch into ground moves that Megazard X and Heatran despise, and can hit most pokemon for neutral damage at least. The timid nature is to try and outspeed as much as he can because he's frail. There isn't much else to say about his except switch ins are risky business unless you know you can do it. I might be tempted to switch him for a bulkier mon like Aegislash if he starts failing me, but so far so good.

Nin Nin (Greninja) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Greninja usually comes in as a lead unless I know what to expect. Scald is there over Hydro Miss (Pump) because I like the better accuracy and the nice burn chance. U-Turn can provide momentum of to neuter things like Chansey. Dark Pulse is there because it is. I might switch that move though. Ice Beam to take down dragons. The focus sash assures at least one attack.

Kyaa! (Garchomp) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge

Scarfchomp is a fantastic revenge killer. A plus speed nature along with the scarf makes it so he out speeds almost anything, and Garchomp's fantastic attack stat makes it so he can tear any injured mon apart and tons of healthy ones too. Outrage over Dragon Claw for higher damage and because I'm locked into one move anyway, Earthquake for STAB of course, Fire Blast for the pesky Ferrothorns, and Stone Edge to take care of Zapdos or ice types thinking they can switch in.

Riot Police (Heatran) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Dragon Pulse
- Lava Plume
- Ancient Power

Assault Vest Heatran is my favorite Heatran. I've tried all of the other ones and I could never really get them to work. Heatran can take some special hits and dish them out too. It's a pretty standard set, but with Ancient Power thrown in to pick off weak mons and try and get a boost. That being said, it's most likely going to be replaced by Flash Cannon considering it hasn't done too much yet.

Sanic (Ferrothorn) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

The physical wall, and one of my favorites. He can tank pretty much any physical hit that isn't fire type, and causes huge amounts of damage even if he does go down to contact. The combination of the Rocky Helmet and Iron Barbs really takes a toll on anything that wants to touch it. Leech Seed makes up for the lack of Leftovers, and protect to scout/stall Leech Seed recovery.

Problems I've noticed with this team is that if I can't get Greninja in Gliscor gives me a hard time. Even my Scarfchomp can't break through him without a crit. Heatran can also give me a hard time if Garchomp can't come in and Megazard can't either.

Besides that I'm open to suggestions, so let me hear them.

EDIT 1: I changed Gengar to the Life Orb set and changed Curse for Stealth Rock on Ferro.

Last edited:
Hey there! Dropping by to give some suggestions.

First of all, I think your Char-X set is solid, and I have nothing to add to that. However, I think that your other sets need some optimizing. I'll start with Gengar. First of all, I think Life Orb surpasses Specs on Gengar, since one of its main selling points is that it can hit hard from a good speed tier. If you are locked to a move, you give your opponent much easier time switching around. Second of all I would switch your moveset to Destiny Bond / Shadow Ball / Sludge Wave / Focus Blast or Thunderbolt. Destiny Bond lets you take down one of opponent's Pokemon and STABs are mandatory. 4th move is whatever your team needs. I would also switch Greninja's item to Life Orb, since you will need that increase in power. I know Focus Sash lets you revenge-kill stuff, but without Life Orb, Greninja isn't that threatening. Also his best moveset is Hydro Pump / Ice Beam / Dark Pulse / Extrasensory.

K, so I know Assault Vest increases Heatran's impressive Special Defense, but it's not much use when you can't recover from said hits. That's why Leftovers is almost always a superior option on specially defensive Heatran, and Choice Specs is a good option if you want to use Heatran more offensively. The best set to use with Specs is Fire Blast / Flash Cannon / Earth Power / Stone Edge, Stone Edge because it is guaranteed to hit harder against Pokemon with 4x weakness to Rock. On Ferrothorn I really can't recommend Curse, I really don't see what you can achieve with it. Since your team lacks SR, I would just replace Curse with it. I hope my thoughts have been of help!

I'm definitely taking your advice for Gengar! I didn't even think about the fact I was missing a STAB on honestly.

I like Greninja's set as is right now, but I'll definitely give it a try if I think that it's lacking for whatever reason or I think the team need more power overall.

Like I said for Heatran: I've tried all of the Heatrans, but AV is by far my favorite one. I like the idea of healing of some damage, but AV hasn't crippled him too much yet.

As for Ferro, I think I might replace Curse with Stealth Rock like you said. I used that set in gen 5 and it worked wonders. The idea was to get some Curses off to maximize Gyro Ball's killing power and Ferro's staying power, but I'm finding it hard to do that lately.

Thanks for the advice though! I'll be making some switche pronto!

IMO, you don't need a plus speed nature on Scarfchomp unless you really want to be able to outspeed Volcarona or Salamence or something after a boost. Also, I would say Dark Pulse is redundant with Shadow Ball, you might consider Extrasensory instead. I would also second Sludge Wave on Gengar to hit fairies. Right now, your only SE against fairies is Gyro Ball on Ferrothorn, and most fairies are special attackers, which makes physically defensive Ferrothorn a bit unreliable. Flash Cannon on Heatran would work too.

Timpsu's suggestions were spot on. SpecsTran is a powerful wallbreaker and great coverage. If wallbreaking with Heatran isn't your thing, I suggest running Choice Scarf. With max Speed, Heatran outpaces Timid Greninja and speed ties with Timid Noivern (this is Modest btw). Other than that I do have a few minor suggestions. One, replace Ferrothorn's Curse with Stealth Rock. Stealth Rock makes Zard think twice before switching in (especially Y and maybe non bulky X, especially those without Roost). Speaking of Charizard, I'd move those 4 HP EVs on Zard to hit an odd number in HP. This allows Zard to switch in on SR twice before Mega evolving and four times after. I'd also recommend you try out LO on Greninja. Or maybe even Expert Belt to bluff a Choice set.

Sorry if my suggestions were a bit, well, rushed. I am in a bit of a rush right now so yeah. I do hope I helped and good luck with your team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)