ORAS OU I Only Have Eyes For OU - Currently above 1800 ELO

Ladies and gentlemen, I've been churning. I've been twisting and turning. I've been hot, bothered, and positively burning. Why, you may ask? Well, my very own handmade handcrafted manhandled team has progressed past the dull agricultural backwater of the sub-1800s ladder and reached the smoky towns and exciting industrialism of the super-1800s ladder. Now, there's not really anything significant about getting above 1800 ELO, especially because I'm probably going to slip back into the 1700s with one lost game, but for me it's quite refreshing to see. About a week ago, I tilted so hard I lost over 200 points and almost ended up in the 1400s. Yeugh. Luckily, I managed to stay above Columbus' discovery of the Americas and make a personal comeback.

But let me describe the team. It's Trick Room. Yeah, yeah, press back, close this tab, throw out your computer, but before you do that hear me out. This, I believe, is the most successful Trick Room team that has ever existed in OU 6th gen. I'm venturing this belief because a certain user by the name of Jojobobo has in his signature the words "Most successful OU Trick Room team of 6th gen? Trick Room Doom Squadron - http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/trick-room-doom-squadron-1750-top-75-on-ladder.3562822/". Since my team is slightly higher than that, I guess I myself might have a more successful team. Most successful or not, it's good in my eyes, and I only have eyes for OU.

Let's get onto the team.
First member, step forward!

Bronzong (aka "Bellraiser")

Bellraiser (Bronzong) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion

I'm bringing RU into OU in style, and by style, I mean whatever visual thing Bronzong has going on. Seriously, this Pokémon looks like the Terminator's perpetually stoned backpack. That's not to deny that I love this Pokémon, though, and that's definitely not to deny that this Pokémon has great utility. Those who've read my other Trick Room RMTs can attest to my use of Bronzong on pretty much all of them, due to a variety of factors. One: it has a great typing and is immune to Ground type moves, letting it body more than half the meta at this point, including things that would threaten other Steel types like Landorus. Two: It has access to both Trick Room and Stealth Rock, letting it lead, or switch in, against various Pokémon and set up favorable conditions for the rest of the team. And once it's done, I can switch out and save this thing for later, or grab some momentum by using Three: Explosion, one of the best momentum grabbing moves in the game when you use Trick Room. Not only does it do insane damage even without investment, but it lets another one of my team members come in for free. Lastly, there's Gyro Ball, which is good for hitting things like things like Clefable, which inexplicably like to paralyze this thing and thus increase its power, and fast offensive mons like Mega Diancie.

The EV spead maximises Defense instead of Special Defense, in order for Bronzong to take High Jump Kicks from Mega Medicham and Mega Lopunny better.
Next member, please step forward!

Porygon2 (aka "Smoothie")

Smoothie (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Recover
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam​

His evolution may be crazy, and his pre-evolution may be a bit rough around the edges, but this Pokémon, like Goldilocks, is just right. And just like a good porridge or a comfy bed, this 'mon is smooth, too. Don't get it confused, though. Under the right conditions, this team terror can be quite the bear. Eviolite lends Porygon2 an obscene amount of bulk, almost more than it knows with what to deal with. This allows it to switch in on powerful attacks, especially those from the physical side, set up Trick Room, and either attack or Recover stall. If Download boosts Smoothie's Attack, its BoltBeam coverage is pretty weak. However, if Download boosts Smoothie's Special Attack, BoltBeam becomes a force to be reckoned with, to the point where Porygon2 can sweep teams without special walls. The average team has at least 3 Pokémon weak to Thunderbolt or Ice Beam, and at least 3 Pokémon that will give Porygon2 a favorable boost, so it finds use in pretty much all my games. Beyond that, Recover stalling is very useful for various purposes, like stalling away Rain or Sun, or wasting away Draco Meteors from Latios or Latias. Very few opponents can muscle past Smoothie, it's usually forced out by status or a wish to preserve momentum.

The given EV spread is pretty obvious. Even with no Defense or Special Defense investment, Porygon2 is still the most bulky 'mon on my team when it comes to physical or special attacks.

Volcanion (aka "Spicy Funyun")

Spicy Funyun (Volcanion) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave​

Ahh, Volcanion. I don't know what I would do without this Pokémon. Oh wait, I do. I'd have a Fire Blast/Scald Slowbro and it'd suck because it'd have no power, coverage, water immunity, or way of dealing with other Volcanion. Spicy Funyun, I believe, is the real reason why this team is so successful, more than any other Pokémon. It has the coverage Slowbro doesn't. It has the Steam Eruption, a move that's pretty much Scald with a power boost, that Slowbro doesn't. Most importantly, it has the great raw power that Slowbro doesn't, the raw power that allows me to run a Leftovers set to promote longevity while still smacking teams raw. 'Mons that would really hurt my team suddenly find themselves countered by Volcanion, 'mons like Heatran, Talonflame (especially the bulky variant), Ferrothorn, other Volcanion, Breloom, bulky Jirachi, Weavile, etc. Heck, even this thing's counters don't appreciate Steam Eruption. Latios/Latias despise burns, and a burn on even defensive Starmie lets me beat its Recover stalling. Naturally, Steam Eruption is Volcanion's best move, although Fire Blast is great at missing smoking Steels. Sludge Bomb is mostly for Clefable, Azumarill, and the rare Mega Altaria. Lastly, Earth Power is for other Volcanion, which I outspeed under Trick Room. Most Volcanion are Choiced anyway, so I can catch it on an unfortunate move and smack it with Earth Power. And that's all. I liked Volcanion, so I put a ring on it.

The given EV spread reaches an odd HP number so Volcanion doesn't take too much from Stealth Rock. Notice that Volcanion actually has a Modest nature instead of a Speed-depleting Quiet nature. This is because I want it to outspeed mons like Chansey on stall teams, teams where I don't set up Trick Room.

Breloom (aka "Baeloom")

Baeloom (Breloom) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb​

I've always thought that Breloom was an underdog. It has pitiful stats for an OU staple (seriously, it has a BST of 460 in a tier where many 'mons have a BST of 700). Really, the only things that save it are the same things that put it on my team: strong priority, super stong STAB, and Spore. All of those things are valuable assets on a regular team, but Trick Room makes them more valuable. Under Trick Room and with the given nature and EV spread, Breloom can pretty much outspeed anything. This means that almost everything that can revenge it now can't. For example, both Charizard formes, among other Pokémon, get BTFO by Rock Tomb. Furthermore, Water types with Ice Beam like Manaphy now find they can't outspeed and kill Breloom anymore, and that the only thing they can do is get supermurdered with Bullet Seed. Come to think of it, Bullet Seed pretty much destroys everything that doesn't resist it. Even things like Clefable have the chance to be OHKOed by it. Likewise, Mega Manectric can't switch in safely, since even after Intimidate it's still an easy 2HKO unless I get unlucky. And if an enemy Pokémon decides that it can body both Bullet Seed and Mach Punch, then Breloom can simply decide to put it to sleep and give my team some swinging momentum. The only things that can deal with this thing reliably under Trick Room are Grass types that resist Mach Punch and Talonflame. Even Ferrothorn isn't safe. Many a spiky ball has tried to come in on a predicted Spore and ended up 2HKOed by Mach Punch.

The given EV spread maximizes Attack and general bulk. It's pretty simple.

Mega Gardevoir (aka "Old Yeller")

Old Yeller (Gardevoir-Mega) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast​

In Disney's tragic film, Old Yeller is dog who produces many a tear in children's eyes when it has to be put down due to rabies. Likewise, tears come to my eyes when my very own Old Yeller dies, not because I'm one of those perverted freaks, but because this member of my team is just so gosh darn useful. Disclaimer: This Pokémon is neither yellow in color or cowardice. Rather, it's just a plain yeller. If I sweep, it's usually because of this thing, and it's usually because this thing just can't use its indoor voice. Hyper Voice + STAB + Pixilate is a smorgasbord of power that blows back everything and is comparable to five hits of Bullet Seed on the special side. Things just die to it. Landorus? Dead on arrival. Anything offensive? D-d-d-dead. Anything hit supereffectively? They're kicking the bucket. What Hyper Voice doesn't deafen Focus Blast or Psyshock takes care of - which is usually things like Ferrothorn, Heatran, Amoongus, or Mega Venusaur. Between these three moves, few things can truly counter Old Yeller, although things like Jirachi and Scizor give it pains. And while Old Yeller is stupidly frail physically (the mega form put 20 points into Attack instead of Defense, wtf?), it has considerable Special bulk with HP investment. This lets it set up Trick Room on various occasions, thus supporting itself and the team. Lastly, thanks to Jojobobo for inventing this set. I am in your debt.

The given EV spread is simple as well: maximize general bulk and Special Attack.
Now some of you readers might have red flags going up. "Hey, Phil," you might say, "this is the same team as last time!" Well, fear not, citizen. It's a different team, if only slightly. However, the new member makes all the difference.

Alright, last member, it's your time to shine!
Mew (aka "Pink Slime")

Pink Slime (Mew) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Impish Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off​

Like its associated meat filler product, Pink Slime was put in to add bulk. Don't be squeamish: there's more than enough meat in Pink Slime for it to soak up hits, so to speak. Pretty much, my old team used a Tornadus. This was fine, but that made it so that my old team was completely destroyed by Mega Lopunny, Mega Medicham, and other fighting types which, by nature of their STAB, Porygon2 could not wall. Mew switches in on all of them, walls all of them, burns all of them, and Soft-Boiled stalls all them. Burns also neutralize, or at least mitigate, physical setup sweepers - assuming that they hit (I've taken recently to calling Will-O-Wisp Will-O-Miss like the rest of 'em). Mew is also useful in that can Defog, which is much appreciated as my team has only one member immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes, and a Volcanion which really appreciates the lack of Stealth Rock. Beyond that, Mew has Knock Off, which helps against everything, especially Chansey. While there's some stuff I wish that this Pokémon could do that it can't, it still does well for a Pokémon of such small stature and such little actual meat content.

The given EVs for Pink Slime are interesting. Its speed set such that it can just barely outspeed Jolly Bisharp and get the burn on it so that it, you know, doesn't threaten my team as much. Mew's high speed is also useful for doing stuff like burning stuff like Scizor and Mega Heracross which think they can outspeed me. The rest of the EVs are put into Defense so that Mew can take as much on the physical side as possible.
And that is my team, people!

Please give your most brutal, soul-crushing critique. Savage this team. Chew it up. Abuse it. Just let me know what I can do to improve - especially against stall. God, I hate stall. It's Trick Room's nemesis. But anyway, please rate. I won't be offended. My love is not some kind of blind love, but I only have eyes for OU.

Bellraiser (Bronzong) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion

Old Yeller (Gardevoir-Mega) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Baeloom (Breloom) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Brave Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb

Pink Slime (Mew) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Psychic

Smoothie (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Recover
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Spicy Funyun (Volcanion) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave

Last edited:
Nice TR team! To be fair, I think MattyBrollic beat us both to the peak unfortunately (see here) - that's why I keep that all important question mark in my sig! And in my defense, Volcanion wasn't released when I made my team!

In terms of feedback, on the Breloom you could consider running SD over Spore and/or Lansat Berry with Natural Gift in the place of Rock Tomb. Flying Natural Gift still gives pretty nice neutral coverage and lures things like Mega Venusaur, while SD gives definite power over Spore which can be a little unreliable (pokemon waking up and eating you alive).

In terms of making general changes to make you more robust against stall, it's kind of tricky to suggest a particular mon to switch for another. I actually had a great time with Ursaring at one point, Facade with Guts and STAB (and possibly SD) hits unbelievably hard - OHKOing almost any resist after a single boost (I think I worked out at one point it does pretty much the same damage as a +1 LO Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent) - and it has absurdly good coverage (Play Rough, Ice Punch, Fire Punch, Thunder Punch Hammer Arm, Crunch, Seed Bomb, Gunk Shot) plus you don't have to worry about status and it is very slow. The trouble is, it is a little fragile unfortunately.

For a set, here you go:

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance / Protect
- Facade
- Fire Punch
- Play Rough

Play Rough tackles Dark types like Mega Sableye and Tyranitar, Fire Punch get's steels like Skarmory, STAB Facade gets everything else for an ass-tonne of damage, here's one example against Unaware Clef:

252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 331-390 (84.2 - 99.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Protect saves you against Knock Offs on that first turn, however Swords Dance makes you a killing machine.

Hoopa, particularly with Nasty Plot and LO, also does a dandy job against stall with Psyshock and Shadow Ball so long as you use it outside of Trick Room.

Good luck on the ladder, and I'm glad to see TR Mega Gardevoir still getting some use!

That accursed MattyBrollic just makes me want to crawl back into my groundhog hole. He's got me beat by 5 points!

Also, wow. Ursaring. You've got a knack for taking Pokémon I've thought were utter trash in OU and making them seem very appealing. That suggestion is so crazy is just might work. Unfortunately, I don't know what to replace for it. Every member of my team is essential. I could consider Breloom.

I'll also give your Breloom suggestions a try. Amoongus and Tangrowth are pains in the side of my team, especially when on stall teams.

Scotti

we back.
Let me just say. This team is fucking HEAT!!

I don't use Trick Room much, so I don't have that much knowledge on it, but I do know about the OU Metagame. The only thing I can recommend is running Hp Grass over Earth Power. Earth Power really only helps you hit Volcanion, while Hp Grass helps against most of the things that Volcanion has trouble with. This will help as you won't have to waste Trick Room turns when you can defeat the Volc switch ins with Volc itself.

That's all I have really. You could also look into running Toxic Orb Breloom over your current set, for a better match up vs stall team. However I don't know how important mach punch on breloom is on Trick Room, but if you don't need it, I would definitely look into running Toxic Orb Breloom. Just seems to work a lot better. Overall Toxic Orb Breloom, could be a great help to your team.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Brave Nature
- Bulk Up / Swords Dance / Rock Tomb
- Superpower
- Seed Bomb
- Spore / Rock Tomb

I hope I helped :]

Jojobobo, Punxsutawney Phil, MattyBrollic,

I just wanted to say, I love innovative players like yourselves i.e. people who use non-OU Pokemon effectively, so much so that they're suddenly viable in OU. I personally find it boring to see multiple OU teams consisting of the same repetitive Pokemon. Players like yourselves are inspiring!

In any case, as for team, I don't want to recommend any drastic changes. But that's because the team is already solid and I like seeing non-OU Pokemon being used in OU, it takes both skill and brains. So well done for that. The only change I do recommend is altering Volcanion's Nature to a Quiet Nature.

I understand your reasoning for keeping Modest Nature (because you wanted to out-speed Chansey), however:
1) Even if Volcanion out speeds Chansey, it won't be able hurt Chansey at all. Here are some calculations...

252+ SpA Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 102-120 (15.8 - 18.6%) -- possible 6HKO
252+ SpA Volcanion Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 102-120 (15.8 - 18.6%) -- possible 6HKO
252+ SpA Volcanion Sludge Bomb vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 56-66 (8.7 - 10.2%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252+ SpA Volcanion Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 56-66 (8.7 - 10.2%) -- possibly the worst move ever

In short, a Quiet nature would probably be best at the end of the day. It would also allow Volcanion to out-speed more Pokemon in Trick Room. The only reason for keeping a Modest Nature would probably be for hitting Clefable with Sludge Bomb. However Bronzong can KO it fairly easily.

I hope these changes improves your team, so with that; have a nice day :D

Thanks guys for the rates. I changed Modest nature to Quiet nature on Volcanion, but I'm pretty sure the only thing it underspeeds now is Azumarill. I'm also trying out Toxic Orb Breloom, but the loss of power and priority hurts. Priority is really good on a Trick Room team and with Toxic Orb I have no priority. I decided to change out Sludge Bomb on Volcanion to HP Grass. It makes my Volcanion wallable by Mega Altaria, but nobody uses Mega Altaria anyway.

Thanks guys for the rates. I changed Modest nature to Quiet nature on Volcanion, but I'm pretty sure the only thing it underspeeds now is Azumarill. I'm also trying out Toxic Orb Breloom, but the loss of power and priority hurts. Priority is really good on a Trick Room team and with Toxic Orb I have no priority. I decided to change out Sludge Bomb on Volcanion to HP Grass. It makes my Volcanion wallable by Mega Altaria, but nobody uses Mega Altaria anyway.
Hello again,

Just wanted to add:
1) Under Trick room, Volcanion still out speeds Azumarill since most Azumarill sets have EVs in speed. Additionally they never run a speed reducing nature, so Volcanion should be able to beat it fairly easily. Outside of Trick room, Volcanion doesn't fear Azumarill, so being out-sped so usually fine.
2) Toxic Orb Breloom is terrible (lol). By terrible, I mean it doesn't suit your Trick Room Team, you need all the power you can get because Trick Room doesn't last for a very long time. So quickly beating your foe is very important. And yes, priority is a must on Trick Room; especially out side of Trick Room. I recommend the life orb set (an all-out-attacker with perhaps Spore or Swords Dance would suffice. Rock Tomb would also be beneficial for flying types bar Talonflame).
3) Last but not least, I strongly suggest that you put Sludge Bomb back on Volcanion. HP Grass isn't very important as it's often used to beat the likes of semitoad, Quagsire and Gastrodon. But all of these can be taken care of by Breloom and Gardevoir. So Sludge Bomb is more important, again; without it Azumarill can hurt and play with Volcanion via Knock Off etc, and Volcanion won't be able to hurt it back. Plus Mega Alteria sets up all over it. Another bonus is that Sludge Bomb can give Volcanion a means of intimidating the Lati-twins (some of its biggest counters). Why? Because it has that 30% to poison which will cripple them. With HP Grass you're completely wall and leaving yourself vulnerable to all sorts of Pokemon. Sludge Bomb can even cripple all Volcanion's counter e.g. Seimitoad via poisoning.

I hope that improves your team man, it's really good exactly how it is.

Thing is, Sludge Bomb has a base power of 90, and Steam Eruption + STAB has an effective power of 165. Therefore, on a Water resist Sludge Bomb has 90 power whereas Steam Eruption has 82.5 power. The power difference really is insignificant to the point where damage from neutral Sludge Bomb roughly equals damage from resisted Steam Eruption or Fire Blast. Plus Steam Eruption has that 30% burn chance. Non-Toxic poison is never better than burn, so I believe I'm fine without Sludge Bomb.

It makes more sense to just spam Steam Eruption on a Latios/Latias than put in a coverage more that isn't supereffective against them. The only problem is Steam Eruption's low PP, but on a Trick Room team you're never going to use it all up anyway, and even then you can try to conserve by spamming Fire Blast.

HP Grass has great utility on Volcanion in that it not only hits Water and Ground types hard, but also in that it 2HKOs key Volcanion checks on the switch, like Natural Cure Starmie, Physically Defensive Rotom Wash, and Keldeo.

252+ SpA Volcanion Hidden Power Grass vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 136-162 (44.8 - 53.4%) -- 90.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Volcanion Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Starmie: 166-196 (51.2 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Volcanion Hidden Power Grass vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 158-186 (48.9 - 57.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

This gives me great momentum, which is crucial on a Trick Room team. It can also do some good damage to things like Manaphy and Slowbro. Your Azumarill point is good but HP Grass is still a 2HKO after rocks, unless the Azumarill is Assault Vest. The lack of Sludge Bomb allows Mega Altaria to set up, but I'm not scared of Mega Altaria when I have Bronzong. Even if it has Fire Blast I can get a Trick Room unless I'm less than 50% health.

Other than your Volcanion thing, your other points are good. Technician Life Orb Breloom is mostly superior to Poison Heal Breloom.

Sorry for the long bump, but I edited Mew's spread to give it Knock Off and more Defense. I also just had to share a milestone.

http://imgur.com/a/6WvKx (link since images seem to be working weird)

Yep. I'm in the centennial club. I've never done this before, mind you, and I never expected to do it with a Trick Room team, so I'm just pretty happy about this. btw i'm not closed to advice still so you can lay it on me

Sorry for the long bump, but I edited Mew's spread to give it Knock Off and more Defense. I also just had to share a milestone.

http://imgur.com/a/6WvKx (link since images seem to be working weird)

Yep. I'm in the centennial club. I've never done this before, mind you, and I never expected to do it with a Trick Room team, so I'm just pretty happy about this. btw i'm not closed to advice still so you can lay it on me
Congrats man, great job on reaching that mile stone. That's incredible! You're now one of the top 100 players on Smogon! ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)