Monotype "I Fixed My Internet!" - A Monotype RO's 1007th post RMT

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I finally reached the 1000 post mark! Whoohoo!

I wanted to do an RMT for it, but I got to 999 without realizing it. Truthfully, I ended up with the most fitting 1000th post for me: a random post in the Monotype forum.

I planned to delete an old post and post this, but in the process of writing it I made a couple more posts...
I started playoffs in Monotype's ladder tour...
then a post in the PS staff forum...
then some posts for Monotype seasonals...
and another for someone ghosting in the LT playoffs...
...and here we are with my 1000th 1007th post RMT!

I haven't really built for the Monotype metagame in a while, so I don't have some innovative team archetype to share. Although, I do have a fun team that features a unique CharY set! Without further ado, I present:

I Fixed My Internet!

Teambuilding Process

I keep a list of cool sets that I want to build around and this was on it. Charizard-Mega-Y is known as one of the premier wall breakers in both OU and Monotype. However, it also features a good SpD stat and gets access to Will-o-Wisp. Thus, I aimed to build a team around SpD ZardY.

I knew I wanted to build Flying because Fire doesn't have the team support to really make use of the ZardY set. All Flying teams have a crippling weakness to Stealth Rock and I knew this team would be passive, so I wanted two 'mons with Defog to reliably control hazards. Thus, I added Zapdos and Skarmory. Also, these 3 create a nice core that takes neutral damage from all of Flying's weaknesses: Zard for Ice, Zapdos for Electric, Skarm for Rock and Ice.

At this point I wanted something to set SR of my own because Defog Skarm just doesn't have room for it. It came down to Lando and Gliscor, but I opted for Gliscor. I liked the idea of a status sponge and something to help break down bulkier builds. Moreover, Gliscor has reliable recovery and doesn't get worn down as easily.

I had a nice set of checks to a good chunk of the metagame, but 'mons like Mega-Gardevoir or Latios could cause problems with Psyshock and specially-oriented moves capable of breaking through Zard + Zapdos + Gliscor. Mega-Latias also looked like a pain in the ass. Thus, I added a mixed defenses Togekiss with a spread tailored to check/counter Mega-Gardevoir, LO Latios, and Mega-Latias. Beyond that, it gave the team a bit of speed control and a nice way to cheese myself out of a tough spot w/ flinches—something I have no shame doing.

For the last spot I wanted a revenge killer/cleaner since the other 5 'mons could check most of the meta. Flying has a number of choices for this slot, but I went with Scarf Moxie Mence. It lets me revenge kill Mega-Latias and Kyu-B and runs through so many types in the end game. It is criminally underrated in Monotype imo.

The Team

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 108 SpD / 152 Spe
Calm Nature
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Dragon Tail / Defog / Solar Beam

I know everyone thinks of this as a wallbreaker, but it actually has more special bulk than Zapdos (a common special wall in Monotype) and a good support movepool. Moreover, ZardY retains its attacking capabilities with this set. For comparison, this set hits roughly the same SpA stat as 252 SpA Latios, and it gets the Drought boost. This is my team's Ice "resist". It can switch in on any 'mon that uses Ice Beam and not be 2HKO'd, unless they have other coverage to hit Zard with (e.g. LO Kyu-B).

The given EVs maximize its special bulk, while still outspeeding Jolly Mega-Heracross. You can run less speed if you put Brave Bird on Skarm, but I like Iron Head. I wouldn't go under 263 speed though because Bisharp could become annoying for the team to deal with.

Will-O-Wisp neuters most physically-oriented threats that can't OHKO and often lets you Roost up before KO'ing or pivoting. WoW is also a nice way to generate the chip damage Moxie Mence needs to sweep.

The final move really just comes down to personal preference. I like to run D-tail so I have another way to phaze the opposing team and annoy opposing Dragon-types that like to switch in on ZardY. Defog also works, but I think it is better served on Zapdos for the Fairy matchup. Solar Beam is also fine for the Water matchup, but I find Zapdos + Toge + WoW Zard lets Moxie Mence clean w/o issue if you play well.

There are a ton of calcs that emphasize just how hard this thing is to take down, but this is one of my favorites:

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 248 HP / 108+ SpD Mega Charizard Y: 142-169 (41.2 - 48.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Defog

This is really the standard fare for a Flying team. It is your check/counter to almost every physical attacker in the meta. It also deals with the physically-oriented Ice-type attacks that Charizard doesn't want to take (e.g. Weavile, Mamo). I run Iron Head to KO Mega-Diancie, but you can move that role to Gliscor if you'd prefer to run something else in that slot. Whirlwind phazes threats like Mega-Gyarados or Dragonite. Roost is obligatory and I think 2 'mons with Defog is required on a team this passive.

Not really anything else to say here.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 152 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Defog
- Roost

This is the other half of the standard SkarmDos core on Flying. It is one of your Electric-type attack switch-ins and an amazing special wall. I really like Volt Switch on Zapdos (s/o Sabella), it lets you keep momentum while minimizing risk. Since I have a bulky Zard, I can run Toxic over Heat Wave. I still run enough speed to move first against base 70's, though. Admittedly, I don't have a good reason for this aside from that is what I normally run. As with Skarmory, Roost and Defog are obligatory.

Another option I've considered was moving Defog to Zard and using Substitute on this, but I haven't tried it yet. In that case, you'd want Thunderbolt over Volt Switch.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock / Toxic
- Roost

Gliscor is your status sponge and secondary Electric-type attack switchin. This was originally put on the team as a way to lay Stealth Rock, but over time I've found I prefer Toxic. Essentially, I end up Defogging my own hazards away 90% of the time, which results in wasted turns. Also, Taunt + Toxic is incredibly annoying to deal with for so many teams and really helps in the Normal matchup. I run the standard SpDef Stallbreaker set, but w/o the Def EVs that let it check +2 Bisharp. There is likely a more optimal set for this team, but I haven't bothered to find it.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 164 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder Wave

As I mentioned in the teambuilding process, the 4 'mons listed above can check a good chunk of the metagame, but are troubled by specific offensive threats: Mega-Gardevoir, Latios, Mega-Latias, Kyu-B. This Togekiss set gives you a check/counter to each one of those.

The HP + Def EVs mean LO Latios' and Mega-Gardevoir's Psyshock can't 2HKO, while the standard mixed LO Kyu-B can't pick up an OHKO with Fusion Bolt (you get to Twave it and Roost). That Def investment also prevents +6 Azu from KO'ing with Aqua Jet, while the 16 speed EVs let you outspeed 252 Spe Adamant Azu, so you can Air Slash it for ~30% if you're in a pinch. Mega-Medi is also a pretty big threat, but this thing can take an Ice Punch and Twave or bop it for ~90%.

The SpDef investment lets it comfortably switch in and Roost on Mega-Gardevoir's Hyper Voice and Mega-Latias' Ice Beam/Thunderbolt. It can't counter LO Ice Beam/Tbolt Latios 100% of the time (~40% chance to 2HKO from full), but it can switch in and Roost stall if you force it to Psyshock using Zard/Zapdos.

Aside from checking those threats, this set also makes for a nice secondary win condition with Nasty Plot. Many of the more passive teams in the metagame struggle to break this + Gliscor, while the more offensive builds struggle to break through the defensive core without losing to Moxie Mence. Alternatively, you could run Heal Bell in that slot, but I don't like how that interacts with Gliscor. Finally, you can also consider a set with a bit more Def investment for checking Medi (at the cost of LO Latios' Ice Beam/Tbolt becoming more of a problem), but I haven't had too much trouble with Medi to date.

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

This is another pretty standard set. It has 2 jobs: 1) Revenge KO things like Mega-Latias and Kyu-B. 2) Clean in the late game. It does both of those things exceptionally well.

The 2 Dragon STABs are pretty much required imo. Outrage for power, Dclaw to reliably sweep weakened teams. EQ is excellent vs. Water teams, which typically carry a severe weakness to Ground-type attacks. The last slot is just filler, but I chose Fire Blast to hit Avalugg that switch in when I try to revenge Kyu-B on Ice teams. I don't think I've ever clicked it, though.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 108 SpD / 152 Spe
Calm Nature
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Dragon Tail

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Defog

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 152 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Defog
- Roost

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Roost

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 164 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder Wave

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

~~~~~~~~~​

It has been a fun first 1000 posts and there are a ton of people that have made it a blast! I'm not really big on a massive list of shoutouts at the end of these things, but I do want to highlight a couple groups. If you're not listed, it isn't b/c you're not appreciated.

Monotype Room Staff: I'm not tagging anyone here b/c hopefully you'll stumble across it at some point. You guys are awesome and make the room/community such a fun place to be! The title of this RMT is an inside joke from this group, for those that were wondering.

Monotype Council People (past and present): Thanks for helping to shape the metagame and community into what it is today. Anttya Acast DoW iVid all falls down Eien rnbs Paleo

Monotype community, in general: I might hate how we have cliques, or the inevitable drama that you guys create over seemingly trivial stuff; but, it is truly fun to oversee this community! A special thanks to all of you that have been leading projects in the forums and in the room for such a long time. Dream Eater Gengar Dece1t (I'm not tagging ppl that I tagged earlier)

OM Leaders: The Immortal and Eevee General. Thanks for giving the Monotype community a chance to grow into what it has become.

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Hey scp, first off grats on 1000 posts!

This team looks pretty cool, Salamence on Flying teams can be really fun, and it checks Kyurem-B which is a big threat to Flying. There are only a few changes I'd make.

You have a hard time switching into Mega Medicham, obviously, since that thing is a monster. I'd recommend Brave Bird > Iron Head because it OHKOs Mega Medicham and is pretty much your only Pokemon that lives a hit from it after Stealth Rock (if it has Ice Punch). Choice Scarf Salamence and a few of your other Pokemon can check it if Stealth Rock aren't up but it's nice to have a safety measure for it because against hyper offensive types such as Fighting, you won't always be able to Defog.
Regarding this slash I'd definitely go with Solar Beam so you're not walled by Water-types. It's also really nice for hitting Ground/Water-types such as Swampert and Gastrodon which can get pretty annoying since your way of beating them is stalling them out with Toxic or flinching them down with Togekiss.

Hope I helped, good luck with the team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)