I cannot build teams to save my life...

Well, there goes an attempt at a creative title... Basically, I've been gone for 4 month and missed out on the changes that Platinum is bring and the banning of Garchomp and Deoxys-e. So I pretty much threw together a team and tried to play back into Pokemon form. Now, for some reason, this team is way more successful than I thought it would be, and I have no idea why. Ok, enough babbling, I know y'all didn't click on this to read my autobiography, so without further ado, here is my somewhat random offensive team:

Smeargle (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Trick
- Spore
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
---
Ok, at first glance it looks just like the Scarf set in the analysis, but there are some differences. For one, I run Stealth Rock(although I don't lay it very often, but that's beside the point) and Explosion(which nobody suspects and is more powerful than you think). Basically, I Spore on the first turn to prevent SR, as several members of my team are weak to it and I switch a lot. If I can get Smeargle back in at some point, I'll Trick and cripple something(hopefully).

Scizor (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 32 HP/252 Atk/224 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Brick Break
- Swords Dance
- U-Turn
---
This is the Pokemon that I feel the most comfortable replacing. The reason being that I don't use it that much and it doesn't seem to do very much except revenge killing stuff like Gengar and Azelf. I find that I rarely get the chance to SD, and even if I do, something like Zapdos comes out and makes me switch. Suggestions to make the set better or a replacement would be helpful.

Heatran (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Explosion
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
---
This guy is awesome as it's such a great switch into anything not super effective. He creates so many problems for my opponents its not even funny. Most of the time it is an extra life, and allows me to patch up mistakes, such as letting a Mence DD up.

Gyarados (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
---
This is the best Gyarados set, IMO. It also combos with Salamence for double Imtimidate, which is useful. I've had at least 3 opponents to switch in Jolteon thinking I'm going to DD up only to eat a CB Waterfall in their face. This is also a nice counter to stuff like Scizor and the like.

Salamence (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 120 Atk/176 Spd/212 SAtk
Rash nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Roost
- Brick Break
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
---
Once Smeargle sleeps something, this is usually what I switch to. Salamence is a great early game sweeper, and lets me scout the opponent's Pokemon. MixMence creates a prediction nightmare for people, as they swtich in Gyarados only to eat a Draco Meteor. Combos with Gyarados for double Intimidate, as noted above.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP/176 Spd/80 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Psychic
---
The star of the team. This has saved my ass so many times it's not even funny. Once most of the opponent's team is weakened, I can bring out Jirachi and start setting up. I've been able to turn around 3-1 or even 4-1 defiecits with this guy.

Notes:
-This team struggles with Electivire, as it usually gets at least 1-2 kills per match.
-Special attackers give this team troubles, as nothing can really switch in, except Heatran to an extent.

So, that's it, all suggestions are appreciated!

I don't play OU so I don't know who you see most often.
Maybe add a Dugtrio over Scizor and trap Electivire and KO with EQ?
It would always work when they send out Electivire on Gyardos anyway...so it might be cool?

Or Swampert...can take anything but HP Grass.

or if you keep Scizor...get rid of Quick Attack.
U-Turn, X-Scissor, Aerial Ace, or Roost are better IMO.

Scizor seems replaceable, since you have Jirachi to do your late game sweeping. Maybe Im retarded but I dont really see how Electivire is a big threat to this team, you only have one Electric attack, and assuming Electivire comes in on the sub, Im thinking it may be possible for you to Calm Mind up even with it Flamethrowering, since you get a free one, atleast. I havnt used Electivire nor do I have significant experience dealing with it, so for all I know you'll outspeed it assuming it comes in on Sub instead of T-Bolt...

Anyways for scizor, you dont really have a great status absorber (since you probally dont want Jirachi coming in until endgame) so Id consider some sort of RestTalker or Guts Pokemon. Preferably Resttalker since you have enough offensive threats to not really need another high power attacker.

Ive been using a Careful RestTalking Swampert lately,so perhaps that could fullfil both your status absorbing needs and something to take a few hits on the special side of the spectrum??

I wouldn't worry about Electivire, I don't see why you can't revenge kill it with Heatran anyway, there willa lowys be pokemon you have to play around, and I'm confident you cant. If you go out to Salamence to intimidate when it earthquakes at Jirachi, then out to Gyara as it goes for the Ice Punch, thats two inimitdates and then you can go out to Jirachi to set to CMs up, Or something like that if you see what I mean.

I was never really comfortable myself running CB Gyara without Rapid Spin support as its job is to switch in and hit hard. if you think you can Afford it you could probably remove scizor for a Spinner such as Starmie, or if you want something with a little more attackinjg oomph so with Intimidate Hitmotop it will still scare the ... out of Blissey and can revenge Tyranitar too with Mach Punch, If you havent fouond SR to be too much of a problem then there is no need to worry about this, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't bother you.

As for Scizors spot if you're not worried about SR you could go with something like Rhyperior, second time I've suggested it in an RMT today actually (thanks Colonel M) anyway it will provide an excellent counter to Electivire with Solid Rock and resistance to Thunder Punch. CB Rhyperior would probably work well although Swords Dance or Agility Rhyperior will work too, it will provide you with a nice switch in to electric attacks aimed at Gyarados but provides a little more offensive prowess than Swampert although if you are seriously woried about Ttar running through your team you could also go with swampert as it will do better agains tthat and other problem things like HP ice Zapdos that could threaten your team.

All I've really got time for right now, but props for using CB Gyara cos its awesome >.< move onto CB Luke next like me! Anyway I hope some of this helped =D

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I actually really like the Smeargle lead. Most people no longer run Lum Berry and Priority leads, and Spore is about as good as you're gonna get in terms of shutting down SR leads. Once I can use Shoddy again I want to test this myself ^__^

Quick Attack isn't incredibly useful on Scizor. I guess it would be useful if you had a huge problem with Kingdra, but with two intimidating fliers and three Steel Types you should be able to force an Outrage pretty easily. You would do a lot better with either Roost, to keep Scizor around longer, or U-Turn, which is horribly underrated as an option on Scizor. When your opponent switches to their Scizor counter (Rotom, Zapdos, Heatran, Gyarados, etc.) you force them to take SR damage and put yourself back on the offensive. Since Scizor has literally no options against any of those except Heatran, you have jsut taken what would be an awful situation for an offensive team that doesn't really like to switch much and turned it into a great situation. Even if your opponent doesn't switch as you U-Turn, you will still deal heavy damage with Scizor's base 130 Attack, and you can still take the offensive. It is also a great way to get Smeargle back in to use Trick, SR, or Explosion. (Just to be clear, I really think you should keep Scizor. Bullet Punch is an immense help against offensive teams that spam Dragon Dance, from Salamence especially. Not to mention that Steel / Bug is amazing typing).

I would recommend dropping the Choice Band on Gyarados. Between Smeargle and Salamence you're already going to trash stall teams, so you should focus your Gyarados on taking down offense. And what do offensive teams hate more than anything? Speed! If you give your Gyarados a +Speed nature, you can outspeed all those players who try to revenge kill you with what they think is a faster Scarf Heatran or a Scarf Rotom, only to eat a deadly Waterfall. This will also make you faster than any Mamoswine, Adamant Heracross, and, of course, opposing Gyarados, which is pretty vital since your only decent option is to revenge kill with your own Heatran. You also mentioned Jolteon switching in, and Jolly Gyarados makes quick work of it and Aerofactyl after a DD.

You don't really need max SpAtk for that Salamence set to work; however, I think you would really benefit from running max speed. This will stop you from being outsped by non-Scarf Heatran, Adamant Lucario, and offensive Suicune (a huge pain with no Blissey), along with Heracross and Gallade and the other base 80s. Honestly this Salamence isn't supposed to be taking powerful hits anyway, so having the extra speed (again, to help against offensive teams) could be a huge help. Incidentally, if you take the points from SpAtk and max out your speed (you need the 336 Attack to 2HKO Bliss, as I'm sure you know), then you will be left with 319 SpAtk and 299 Speed...which is exactly what you get if you make Salamence Naughty and give it 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd. The only difference is that the extra 4 EVs you get to throw into Attack give Salamence 337 attack, beating the onld spread by a single point =P

You need to drop Salamence's Crunch for Roost. I guess it's helpful against Cresselia and it allows you to stay in longer if your opponent sends out Rotom after you Meteor or something, but Roost is what really makes MixMence a terrifying thought for Stall teams; if your opponent cannot wear it down without attacking it directly, which is a problem for stall since most of its pokemon are OHKO'd (or take massive damage) from MixMence.

Great team, and Good Luck!

EDIT: Oh damn your'e right, sorry bout that. Though it just makes me want to try it out more =P

Smeargle reaches 273 speed with Jolly and so outspeeds Aero. I also want to try out that lead now.

Also, the extra power of Aqua Tail may prove to be good for you on Gyara

Cool team, I've used that Smeargle lead... its fantastic.

Lets see.... For Scizor I recommend replacing Brick Break for X-Scissor, that will really give you some punch. Brick Break is really only for Heatran, but if you fear him, go with Superpower and replace Quick Attack so you can catch him on the switch. Either way, X-Scissor must be on the set.

@ Salamence: Try this set. I like it better for Mixmence:

Salamence @ Life Orb
Nature: Naive
EVs: 80 Atk / 176 Spe / 252 SpA
*Draco Meteor
*Flamethrower
*Earthquake
*Outrage / Stone Edge

Now, if your salamence is solely for beating stall than you can use your set, but Dragonite kind of outclasses it. This set hits harder, and poses a sweeping threat with the higher speed. Outrage + Draco Meteor kills any wall, but Stone Edge can help against some things (I heard its useful). Another Salamence set that Brawley and I have been using lately is this:

Salamence @ Life Orb
Nature: Naughty
EVs: 80 Atk / 176 Spe / 252 SpA
*Dragon Dance
*Draco Meteor
*Outrage
*Earthquake / Fire blast

Just rapes things. Draco Meteor should 2HKO most Bulky waters w/ SR.

CB Gyarados is good, so I'd keep it. Or I would use CB Mence and DD Gyarados, either way... a Choice Bander is a good fit for this team.

As for Jirachi, its sexy.

I don't play OU so I don't know who you see most often.
Maybe add a Dugtrio over Scizor and trap Electivire and KO with EQ?
It would always work when they send out Electivire on Gyardos anyway...so it might be cool?

Or Swampert...can take anything but HP Grass.

or if you keep Scizor...get rid of Quick Attack.
U-Turn, X-Scissor, Aerial Ace, or Roost are better IMO.
Ok, Quick Attack is gone.

Scizor seems replaceable, since you have Jirachi to do your late game sweeping. Maybe Im retarded but I dont really see how Electivire is a big threat to this team, you only have one Electric attack, and assuming Electivire comes in on the sub, Im thinking it may be possible for you to Calm Mind up even with it Flamethrowering, since you get a free one, atleast. I havnt used Electivire nor do I have significant experience dealing with it, so for all I know you'll outspeed it assuming it comes in on Sub instead of T-Bolt...

Anyways for scizor, you dont really have a great status absorber (since you probally dont want Jirachi coming in until endgame) so Id consider some sort of RestTalker or Guts Pokemon. Preferably Resttalker since you have enough offensive threats to not really need another high power attacker.

Ive been using a Careful RestTalking Swampert lately,so perhaps that could fullfil both your status absorbing needs and something to take a few hits on the special side of the spectrum??
Nothing on my team can switch in on Electivire, and it has to be handled carefully or else it could kill several members of my team. Will consider a Restalker.

I wouldn't worry about Electivire, I don't see why you can't revenge kill it with Heatran anyway, there willa lowys be pokemon you have to play around, and I'm confident you cant. If you go out to Salamence to intimidate when it earthquakes at Jirachi, then out to Gyara as it goes for the Ice Punch, thats two inimitdates and then you can go out to Jirachi to set to CMs up, Or something like that if you see what I mean.

I was never really comfortable myself running CB Gyara without Rapid Spin support as its job is to switch in and hit hard. if you think you can Afford it you could probably remove scizor for a Spinner such as Starmie, or if you want something with a little more attackinjg oomph so with Intimidate Hitmotop it will still scare the ... out of Blissey and can revenge Tyranitar too with Mach Punch, If you havent fouond SR to be too much of a problem then there is no need to worry about this, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't bother you.

As for Scizors spot if you're not worried about SR you could go with something like Rhyperior, second time I've suggested it in an RMT today actually (thanks Colonel M) anyway it will provide an excellent counter to Electivire with Solid Rock and resistance to Thunder Punch. CB Rhyperior would probably work well although Swords Dance or Agility Rhyperior will work too, it will provide you with a nice switch in to electric attacks aimed at Gyarados but provides a little more offensive prowess than Swampert although if you are seriously woried about Ttar running through your team you could also go with swampert as it will do better agains tthat and other problem things like HP ice Zapdos that could threaten your team.

All I've really got time for right now, but props for using CB Gyara cos its awesome >.< move onto CB Luke next like me! Anyway I hope some of this helped =D
Well, SR hasn't been too much of a problem as it's pretty much shut down by Smeargle. T-Tar haasn't been too much of a problem, though it needs to be handled carefully. Zapdos is actually pretty hard to kill, if it gets in I really have no counters and can only really hope to revenge kill it.

Massive Wall of Text of helpful rate
CB Gyara has actually been quite useful, as it gets the jump on counters who think that I need 1-2 DDs to be a threat. Will try your Mence set and changes on Scizor.

Smeargle reaches 273 speed with Jolly and so outspeeds Aero. I also want to try out that lead now.

Also, the extra power of Aqua Tail may prove to be good for you on Gyara
I've tried that, but the accuracy is a turn off.

Massive Wall of Text of helpful rate 2
Will try your Mence sets, thanks for the rate.

Thanks everyone! Now I'm off to Shoddy to test like the 9 bajillion sets you guys suggested...

Made several small changes. Made Salamence reach 280 speed, Roost>Crunch, and U-Turn>Quick Attack on Scizor. I'm starting to feel like a ground Pokemon would be quite beneficial to my team, as Thunderwaves really fuck myu dudes up.

Because Scizor doesn't get Close Combat o_o

I'd also go X-Scissor > U-Turn. Having to lose your Swords Dance on a U-Turn is foolish if you ask me.
Well, I rarely get to SD, and Scizor's basically there to Revenge Kill shit, and U-Turn lets me scout. Maybe I'll drop Swords Dance for something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)