National Dex I am (Pseudo) Legend | Peaked #1, 2004 with 92% GXE

(Photo taken by a friend, ironically I was driving at the time and didn't even know until later)

(Yes 2004 and the #1 Peak did not happen simultaneously, but it makes a great title!)

Hello everyone! It's resident ladder-meme and totally someone's alt Bitana, here with another very fun team to use in the National Dex OU ladder.
The inspiration for this team was extremely simple, I listened to the pseudo-legendary rap above and thought 'I wonder if I could make 6 of these work, they're all cool.'
Turns out, they can work! (if you play around the quintuple fairy weakness)

I knew from the start that these 4 would be on a team such as this. They have the most synergy out of all my available options, as Garchomp and Tyranitar are naturally suited to wallbreak so that Dragonite can sweep in the late game, and Metagross has the crucial role of taking on Fairy and Ice type hits for the other 3. Tyranitar and Mega Garchomp compliment eachother when it comes to wallbreaking, as Garchomp's Earthquakes are boosted by Sand Force, while Garchomp surprises the physically inclined walls that come in on Tyranitar with its powerful special attacks.

These last two on the other hand were much tougher picks. I had Goodra and Salamence as potential alternative options, but ultimately Hydreigon's amazing revenge-killing potential and Kommo-o's deadly Z-move set and ability to lure fairy types in sold me on them as them as my last two slots. Interestingly, this means I am over eight times weaker to fairy attacks, but that's a given considering the options I was working with.

Save ya if I wanna (Dragonite) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed

The original Pseudo-Legendary. The Dragon-Type sweeper. It's Dragonite!

In this team, his main purpose is to sweep in the late-game, after all threats have been removed. Jolly nature is used to outspeed Lopunny at +1, Dragon Claw is there to revenge kill Mega Charizard X and Mega Latias, Fire Punch to hit OHKO Kartana and Mega Scizor if at +1 and Extreme Speed to outprioritize Weavile's Ice Shard and potentially revenge kill threats weakened by the rest of the team. Dragonite is easily the most flexible slot in terms of moveset. Dual-Wingbeat, Earthquake, even Ice Punch are all viable alternatives, but I've found these 3 moves to work best for me. Heavy-Duty Boots was chosen as the team lacks any form of hazard removal.

See the 9 flash (Tyranitar) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 48 SpD / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

The Pursuit Trapper. The Wallbreaker. It's Tyranitar!

As one might expect given this set, T-tar's goal in any given game is fairly simple. Break through anything that might stop Dragonite's or Hydreigon's rampage with his devastating STAB moves and Pursuit + Earthquake combination. The main pursuit targets are Weavile locked into Knock-Off, Mega Latias lacking Aura Sphere and occasionally Moonblast-locked Scarf Tapu Lele's. I run Earthquake because I find having to rely on Stone Edge's shaky accuracy against Tapu Koko and Toxapex very annoying, but Ice Punch is a viable alternative if the Gliscor matchup seems worrying. I've never really considered Fire Punch, as I have sufficient Fire coverage, but it would be useful against Sp. Def Corviknight. The spread allows it to live a Timid Specs Moonblast from Tapu Lele from full, and gives it a 50% of living a Modest Specs Moonblast.

See me grossing (Metagross) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch

The Meteor Masher. The Fairy Check. It's Metagross!

The only Pseudo-Legendary not weak to Fairy type, Gross' inclusion on the team was never in question. As the only answer to them on the team, Metagross has the important role of switching into all the Moonblasts and most of the Ice Beams aimed at its teammates. Assault Vest is required to fulfill this job, allowing Metagross to switch repeatedly to powerful Fairies like Tapu Lele, Boots Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini. Meteor Mash is the main STAB Move, particularly useful against Fini. Earthquake smacks Koko and Heatran, Ice punch OHKOs most Landorus and very importantly stops a potential +0 Scale Shot Garchomp sweep. Bullet Punch is essential to stop Weavile forcing out Metagross after it has taken rocks damage, as the team cannot afford to switch into Weavile repeatedly. The spread maximizes both Metagross' longevity and its power to abuse its great coverage.

Quakes when I move (Garchomp) @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

The Mega. The Rocker. The surprise Mixed Attacker. It's Garchomp!

When I decided on the first four members of the team, I knew that Mega Garchomp would be my best option for the mega evolution slot. Between its impressive power in Sandstorm and its ability to deny Defoggers with powerful mixed attacks, I felt it was the best option I had for a rocker. Rash nature is there to maximize Chomps power, which is very worthwhile against sp. def Corviknight and phys Gliscor thinking they can take on a standard rocks Chomp easily. The moveset is fairly self explanatory, but I'll note that on lead vs Landorus-T the best option is usually to Draco Meteor them for about 60-80% depending on the spread, then click rocks (On most games lacking Weavile or Tapu Lele, Garchomp is usually the designated lead). Occasionally it is better to remain un-Mega'd, as Rough Skin can come particularly handy against U-turn spam and multi-hit moves like Surging Strikes or even Triple Axel. (For example, 2 Rough Skin hits can put Weavile in Bullet Punch range from Metagross)

Getting Ahead (Hydreigon) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

The Three-Headed Hydra. The Revenge Killer. It's Hydreigon!

A team as weak to fast Pokemon like Weavile and Scarf Tapu Lele as this one simply requieres a Scarfer, and here that job falls to Hydreigon. This set is a time-honored classic from this Pseudo-Legendary's introduction all the way back in the original Black and White. Draco Meteor smashes lightly chipped threats like Medicham, Lopunny among others who regularly take Rough Skin and Sandstorm damage. Dark Pulse is a very spammable STAB move, particularly useful in the late-game with a nasty Flinch chance. Fire Blast is there to cover Kartana and Weavile without relying on Focus Blast and to have additional coverage against annoying threats like Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor. U-turn is Hydreigon's most useful move on this team, taking advantage of common switchins like Chansey, Clefable and opposing Tyranitar to gain momentum. The EVs are self-explanatory, but I'll note that I run max speed for the occasional Scarf Urshifu which would be very annoying otherwise.

Blaze been crazy (Kommo-o) @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 188 Atk / 104 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab

The original Z-Move user. The only Dragon/Fighting Type. It's Kommo-o!

As the final addition to the team, Kommo-o's moveset and spread were the hardest to finalize. With one of the strongest Z-moves in the game, it was too tempting to pass it up, but it's ability to wallbreak on both sides even without it's Z-move is what ultimately granted it the spot on the team. With the given spread, Kommo-o can OHKO Tapu Lele with Poison Jab at +1 without Rocks up. The rest was put into enough speed to outspeed Jolly Mamoswine and other base 80s and then into Sp. Atk to give the Clangorous Soulblaze an extra oomph. Close Combat rounds out the set and provides the team with a way of smacking Chansey, which otherwise proves difficult to handle because of Stone Edge's shaky accuracy. Soundproof was chosen in order to not instantly lose to opposing Kommo-o Z-move or Ditto, but Bulletproof could be used as well if Ferrothorn's gyro ball or Specs Lele's Focus Blast prove to be annoying that day.

We can play around with Metagross as much as we want, punish them for clicking Moonblast as well as we can, but the truth of the matter is that a team with 5 Fairy weaks struggles to deal with well-played Fairy types. It's important to remember that both Mega Garchomp and Tyranitar can usually take at least one hit from these, so on occasion its worthwhile to take damage on both over Metagross to chip them down. This is specially useful if you've conditioned your opponent into expecting Metagross and they overpredict and click a move different from Moonblast. On a different note, whenever you see a Tapu Lele on the opposing team, expect it to come out first, so lead Hydreigon and get a U-turn off on it.

As one might expect from a team with 4 Dragon types, Ice types are an issue. Particularly those such as these three, who all have a super effective move to OHKO Metagross with the exception of Kyurem. Against Weavile, make sure to lead Hydreigon as getting 50% off of a U-turn is absolutely worthwhile. Kyurem can usually be handled using a combination of Tyranitar and Metagross, with Hydreigon being around to outspeed and OHKO it with Draco Meteor. Mamoswine can at least be outsped by Kommo-o, but ultimately you'll have to outplay it to win.

Dread it, run from it, Stall arrives yet the same. Mega Sableye on its own is an issue for the team to handle, as no Fairy moves means it has no super effective moves to use on it. Usually the threat of Kommo-o z-moving or poison jab poisoning it is enough to force it out, but that just leads to further problems! Gliscor is particularly annoying for the team as usually the only Ice move on hand is Metagross Ice Punch, which doesn't kill phys def and cannot switchin to Earthquake regardless. Phys def is usually not that much of an issue as Mega Garchomp can break through it, but there's very little the team can do about Sp. Def Gliscor. Sp. def Bulk Up Corviknight also gives alot of trouble, as Fire Blast is easily PP Stalled by it on both Garchomp and Hydreigon. Crit fishing using T-tar's Stone Edge might be the best option.

Once more, shared weaknesses haunt this team's every move. In this case, T-tar and Hydreigon both share a Fighting weakness, and the only Fighting resist is the late-game win condition Dragonite. Not to mention most Fighting types run Ice coverage. In the case of Buzzwole and Lopunny, the threat of Kommo-o going for it's Z-move after they've taken a kill is usually enough to force it out. Medicham is tougher to handle, but Rough Skin damage from Garchomp can go a long way to putting it into Hydreigon range. Bulk Up Buzzwole with good prediction is likely a threat, but Kommo/Garchomp/Hydreigon should all be able to handle it.

Save ya if I wanna (Dragonite) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed

See the 9 flash (Tyranitar) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 48 SpD / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

See me grossing (Metagross) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch

Quakes when I move (Garchomp) @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

Getting Ahead (Hydreigon) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Blaze been crazy (Kommo-o) @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 188 Atk / 104 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab

I had a lot of fun building this team and testing it out on the ladder, but I recognize that the shared weaknesses hold it back from being usable in 'serious' play. I mostly went for the peak because it would look nice on the title, and even then I held the rank #1 spot for about 20 minutes (But oh they were some glorious minutes!). I think that the most important part about a team like this though is not how objectively good it is, but rather how good it feels to play. And on that note I've gotta say, it's just a lot of fun. Dracoing Lando-T's who stay in on chomp t1, DDing with Kommo as the opponent goes into their specs Lele expecting to stop the Z-move, even simply clicking Ice Punch or Earthquake correctly with Metagross against a Landorus/Heatran combination is intensely satisfying and I would and will definitely do it again.

And hey, next time you have a wacky teambuilding theme in mind, don't dismiss it out of hand! It might be tons of fun, and let's keep it real here, if I could do this anything can work. *cough* natdex ladder is free *cough*.

s/o to the Agents Discord, my frens who helped out with the screenies and all the people I flex on on the daily, you know who you are.

Pressure Pokemon like Corviknight, Zapdos, and even Suicune are issues for the team. In particular, the team probably loses to a well played max Sp. Def Bulk Up or Iron Defense Corviknight. The best options to handle it are to Fire Blast it with Garchomp after it has mega'd for about 56%, but even that can be stalled out with Leftovers. Usually however, Corviknight struggles to setup against all 3 of Hydreigon, Tyranitar and Garchomp so I've found myself beating it eventually. As for Zapdos, it's not too much of an issue. Most Zapdos players are reluctant to click Volt Switch, as it allows Chomp in, so I usually simply go T-tar and click a massive banded Edge on a switchin or Pursuit trap the Zapdos if I think chip damage on it is necessary for Dragonite to win later.

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
Peak replay, apparently it's a nice ladder team :)
dont you love it when you beat someone, both players leave, and then they come back after youre gone to call your team a cteam and talk shit. good times.

that said it truly is impressive that you peaked at 2000+ elo with a team with 5 dragons lmao (ttar is a dragon), congrats!

Last edited:
nice I've been trying to make this work for a while myself with goodra. there was also somewhat recently an aim vid doing this same thing. sick team ty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)