XY OU Hyper Offense - Stardust Crusaders (peak 1808)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-141696754

Hey guys, I've been playing on Showdown casually for about a year, and now I really want to make a team that will shine. This combination of pokemon seems to work for me so far, though I'm still pretty low on the ladder, so I want to see what you guys think. (Btw, I'm still not too familiar with pokemon "roles," so my explanations may be a bit brief).

This is my main revenge killer. Outrage and EQ for STAB, Fire Blast for hitting Ferrothorn/Skarmory/Forretress, and Stone Edge for EdgeQuake combo. It's also good for outspeeding fast threats like Greninja and Mega Manectric or 2HKOing pesky rotom-washes. The things that garchomp can't touch are physical walls like gliscor and possibly other garchomps due top speed tie. Mamoswine is a problem with ice shard. Basically your standard scarfchomp set.

Silver Chariot (Mawile) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Iron Head/Fire Fang/Brick Break

Mawile is pretty much my late game sweeper and mega. It's almost guaranteed to kill one thing in a game. Swords Dance for boosting, sucker punch for priority, and play rough/iron head for coverage. The only downside is that it's kinda slow, but the priority sucker punch is I think makes it hyper offense. Intimidate is also great for wearing down physical attackers, and its steel/fairy typing gives great synergy with garchomp. Originally, I switched out iron head for fire fang, but realized I couldn't hit heatran, so I switched it to Brick Break. It can't OHKO skarmory at +2, but it still does a butt ton and Ferrothorn is OHKO'd at +2, so I'd say it's a fair trade-off. And I don't need fire fang for aegislash when I have sucker punch.

The Fool (Thundurus) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Grass Knot/Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave/Nasty Plot

My (kinda) supportmon. Prankster allows me to T-wave and cripple things so that my other guys have a better chance of sweeping. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to use grass knot or nasty plot, so I just put grass knot there for coverage. Thundurus gives my team an immunity to Earthquake, which is super effective against t-tar and mawile, and pretty much wrecks my team in general. I replaced Grass Knot with Focus Blast as per Nog's recommendation, but decided to forgo Thunder Wave for Nasty Plot because nothing really stays in on a t-wave anyway, and I almost never get parahax. Honestly the only things I can think of that get crippled by t-wave are greninja and *maybe* talonflame but I rarely ever see those things anymore. My favorite part about running nasty plot over t-wave is setting up to +6 on a Chansey, focus blasting it to death, and then proceeding to sweep.

Hierophant Green (Tyranitar) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Adamant Nature
- Superpower/Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

This is the only thing on my team that can't outspeed most things in the tier. Used as my SR lead and to wall talonflame. EdgeQuake combo for coverage, and Superpower for hitting Chansey/Blissey. Tyranitar's rock/dark typing in my eyes is both beneficial and hindering, as I can wall talonflame pretty well, but things like conkeldurr and superpower lando-t can ohko it. I decided to switch out Superpower for Fire Blast as it's much better for hitting ferro and scizor.

Magician's Red (Volcarona) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz/Hidden Power Ground
- Giga Drain

This is my special set up sweeper. I'm using leftovers and giga drain for gradual recovery since I would be boosting with Quiver Dance, and then Fiery Dance/Bug Buzz for coverage. Heatran walls this set which is why I have Ttar, Garchomp, and Starmie to switch in. Volcarona is probably always the first to die next to starmie since it's so frail. Thundurus-t-waves can cripple it, but I have 3 things on my team to handle t-wave. I run HP ground as of now to catch heatrans by surprise but it doesn't even OHKO at +1. Maybe it's because I frequently switch to Timid nature but still. I rarely ever use Bug Buzz.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald/Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Secret Sword

Keldeo has great water/fighting typing and amazing coverage. Hydro spam is amazing as it hits everything like a truck (except when I miss), doing about ~30% damage to rotom-w. Scald is okay when I want to guarantee a hit, but I hardly ever use it. As such I may switch it out for Icy Wind. HP Flying is great because it catches a lot of opponents off guard, and lets me kill a lot of things that would otherwise wall keldeo, namely amoonguss and mega venusaur. Lastly, Secret Sword is one of my favorite moves. It ignores all stat boosts and is surprisingly strong; it almost OHKOs Chansey, which is incredible.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

This is a much better rapid spinner than starmie. Air balloon gives me another ground immunity plus immunity to spikes and sticky web, and the sand rush works well with tyranitar's sand. At first I thought the ttar-excadrill core was overused and somewhat cliche, but now I see its usefulness. Earthquake and Iron Head are the primary STAB moves, rapid spin is, well, rapid spin, and rock slide because excadrill doesn't get stone edge. It kinda doesn't hit that hard but air balloon is better than LO.
SCRAPPED

Hermit Purple (Garchomp) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge

Star Platinum (Starmie) @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam

And yeah, free cookies to anyone who gets the nicknames. Right now my main threats are probably greninja (If garchomp dies), Rotom-W, Conkeldurr, and probably sableye. My only form of burn/status protection is natural cure starmie, but it can't take a rotom-w t-bolt or volt switch. yare yare daze.

Anyway, thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Hey Thirdbird, I am here to rate your team. Really like the fact that you are trying to bring back some threats from BW OU and use them in XY OU. Some of these work and some don't as they are either outclassed or simply outdated. In regards to your team Starmie is one of that that are outclassed in both an offensive Water type and as an offensive Rapid Spinner. Try running Keldeo over Starmie to help wall break with Tyranitar and clear the way for Volcarona. Choice Specs hits stupidly hard and right now it's the best set to run because of its immediate power. Many teams have little to no good Keldeo swap ins so you can simply click any move and blow holes into the enemy team.

Assuming you make the previous change, you are now left without any sort of hazard control. Earlier I told you that Starmie was outclassed as an offensive Rapid Spinner and it's true in every way; because of this I suggest you change Garchomp to Excadrill. With this change you keep a fast Ground type but with Excadrill you aren't choice locked in nor do you have to predict very often meaning he is quite user friendly. What you lose in Dragon typing and Fire coverage (not like Volcarona isn't still on the team) you make up in raw power and speed as well as another answer to Talonflame, who up until this change caused the team a fair bit of problems. You only have one Ground immunity as is and dont have much of an answer to opposing Sand Rush Excadrills so Air Balloon is the preffered item, but Life Orb can be used if you feel you need more power. I suppose you could run a Choice Scarf set if you would like to be more reliable outside of sand to out speed key threats but with a Tyranitar already on your team, it would be a waste.

Some smaller changes include most of the EV spreads on your team. While they are generally pretty standard, most are suboptimal in your specific case. For example an SD Mega Mawile would want to run an EV spread of 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe rather than the bulky one you are currently running so you can out pace base 60's and 70 and still have a respectable amount of bulk leftover. In regards to Thundurus I cannot stress how important Focus Blast is. Grass Knot would be for...? Kabutops? Handled by Focus Blast. Quagsire? 2HKO'd by Focus Blast, Keldeo, and Volcarona easily. Focus Blast also allows you to smash Excadrill and Ferrothorn, both of which could be an annoyance if you let the wrong things die too early. Lastly things that are weak to Stealth Rock or that carry a Life Orb should almost always have odd EVs so they take less damage from recoil and such. Place the 4 HP EVs into Defense and replace your Leftovers with Passho Berry. There isn't any other item that should be ran on Volcarona if you are using a Hyper Offensive team. It provides a great lure and can allow you some security against powerful Water type attackers such as Keldeo. Hope I helped!
Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Secret Sword

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

pj

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
hi,
i would suggest this moveset for volcarona this works for me pretty good hope works Good for you

Magician's Red (Volcarona) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Roost

Also, I'm a bit concerned about focus blast. Although it provides superior coverage (quag is also a major problem for my team), the miss rate is pretty high, and I'm generally unlucky.

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
You need pursuit on Tyranitar, as Dark is incredible offensively this Gen and will offer your Tyranitar a bit more utility outside of setting up rocks. Everything else has basically been hammered out of this team, and nice work!

Honestly, starmie is pretty bad this gen, since the main spinblocker in XY is no longer jellicent, it's aegislash, which can OHKO starmie with shadow ball and can't get 2HKOed by surf. The suggestions that Nog made are really good and sand rush exca can usually clear away your hazards.
Also run fire fang on mawile it really helps against the bulky steel walls like skarmory, ferrothorn, etc. who can set up hazards on you.

Thank you so much for your advice, guys. I implemented these changes (save for pursuit tyranitar, but only because I just read that now), and my laddering experience has been a lot more enjoyable. Currently I'm at the high 1600s - low 1700s, which is the highest I've ever been. I'm very appreciative of the help given here :)

Ducky209, if I were to run pursuit, what would I replace? Crunch?

I also started running Psychic on Thundy for Mega Venusaur. Talonflame, I've found, hurts this team a lot (especially U-turning on the predicted ttar switch). Thoughts, anyone?

Uhh, okay, WTF:

Look at the guy's team.

I'd like to think it's just a coincidence that he has the exact same team as mine, but with 62 distinct pokemon in OU + BL, there are 39,978,267,840 different ways to make a team. I understand that synergy and diversity narrow down the combinations, but how the hell did this guy create with the exact same team i have?

Last edited:
What's the problem? You posted it on a RMT, so you knew people would have access to it. He was fighting Shofu and wanted to use a good team, and he chose yours. Seems less like a "wtf" situation than a situation where you should feel proud of your team because someone liked it and it performed pretty well against Shofu.

"Imiation is the sincerest form of flattery" - Charles Caleb Colton.

Nice team, though, I'm about to gen it and use it myself.

Last edited:
Yeah, I took the team. I didn't take it myself a friend of mine did since I asked him I needed a OU team since I needed an OU team to use for my stream. He chose yours because he thought it was a good team. I know shofu personally so getting a battle with him wasn't hard since I can just skype message him and ask for one and that's how that battle came out. I did make tons of misplays in that battle so in a way your team should have won. I was inexperienced with the team to begin with so like Thomas said you should be proud your team can actually take on shofu and even have the chance to beat him. Honestly think if it had smooth rock over leftovers on Tyranitar I actually woulda won that. It's not like I took credit and told shofu "yo I made this team myself" I would never do that. I'm a streamer myself and I respect people and give credit where it is due. so you should calm down friend, the team was great and I just happened to use it against shofu. I'm here to admit I used your team. Hopefully this clears things up.

Edit: As you talked about focus blast having a bad miss rate. I hope you caught me missing the focus blast on the switched in magnezone. You're not the only unlucky one here T_T....

Ah, okay. That's understandable; thanks for clearing that up :) and you played well against shofu :P

And sorry for accusing you; its just that I spent a lot of work on this team and I was kinda unnerved (no pun intended) when I saw the exact same one

Now to email this thread to my friends lmao

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
solid team thirdbird

A quick fix I think you can make is to give Tyranitar a ton of speed EVs to outspeed defensive Lando-T's so you can try to knock it out with ice beam to give your excadrill and mawile better opportunities at sweeping later on in the game.

Tyranitar (M) @ Smooth Rock / Leftovers
EVs: 36 Atk / 220 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

leftovers can bluff a defensive set I guess and handle talonflame better and the special attack is to knock out lando-t after rocks 100% of the time, and the combination of Ice Beam and fire blast can 2hko even spdef ferrothorn. Earthquake is for bisharp and Azumarill as you need a little bit of prior damage on azumarill to be able to knock it out with volc's giga drain.

also on volcarona i would consider running a pasho berry for cb azumarill and scarf keldeo. with passho you can take their hits and heal up to full with giga drain.

Wow, amazing team! Although, tiny change. The 4 HP evs on Volcorona & Thundurus should be put to Def/SpDef, in order to have an odd HP number and take less damage from SR.

solid team thirdbird

A quick fix I think you can make is to give Tyranitar a ton of speed EVs to outspeed defensive Lando-T's so you can try to knock it out with ice beam to give your excadrill and mawile better opportunities at sweeping later on in the game.

Tyranitar (M) @ Smooth Rock / Leftovers
EVs: 36 Atk / 220 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

leftovers can bluff a defensive set I guess and handle talonflame better and the special attack is to knock out lando-t after rocks 100% of the time, and the combination of Ice Beam and fire blast can 2hko even spdef ferrothorn. Earthquake is for bisharp and Azumarill as you need a little bit of prior damage on azumarill to be able to knock it out with volc's giga drain.

also on volcarona i would consider running a pasho berry for cb azumarill and scarf keldeo. with passho you can take their hits and heal up to full with giga drain.

Thanks for the tyranitar set, chimpact. T-tar is the poke I change the most, so I'll try this out.

Earthquake is probably the best coverage move, but this team is pretty weak to talonflame without T-tar's stone edge. Exca has a shot at revenge killing with sand rush, but no talon would wanna stay in on that. I hate that hit-and-run bitch smogonbird.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)