How leaving Pokémon Showdown! helped me get a girlfriend

as a competitive singles player i feel honored to be part of one of the few 'nerd' subcultures left that would probably be offputting to tell a date you take part in. things have been out of balance since most of the other ones became normal to like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
Ullar has a wife ask him
bro, i lucked the hell out. the odds of everything in my life to that point happening to leadme to meeting here when and where I did are EXPONENTIALLY tiny. like, i can draw a straight line from one meaningful choice or life event to another in a long, long chain that all had to fall into place. All of those events had to be chained together as precisely as they were in order for me, a Mississippi bum who lived with his parents, to be visiting a friend in Chicago over Xmas and New Year's. And on top of that, for me to (VERY UNCHARACTERISTICALLY for my paralyzingly anxious ass) try to find a Tinder hookup while on vacation. And for her to be looking for a NSA date to a New Year's party! And those are just the final pieces of the puzzle that end with me saying, "And the rest is history".

all i did was ride the wave and be myself. and trust my gut, because...when you know, you know. if there's any advice i can give, it's this: don't second-guess yourself if a good thing comes along that you don't know if you deserve it or if it should have happened. take what is good, whether you seek it out or if it finds you.

also, joining smogon is a big part of the chain of events that led me to her. so make of that what u will

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)