ORAS OU How did Mega Gardevoir get so fast?!

Hello everyone! This is one of the most unique teams I’ve created, and it’s absolutely terrifying if you don’t know what’s happening. I peaked at 1478 on the ladder, so it seems to be good. (Note that I’m not that great a player; I frequently make really stupid mistakes and lose when I clearly should have won. I’m pretty sure this could easily be 1500+ if I were a little more experienced.)

The ultimate objective of this team is unique, terrifying, and actually quite simple: baton pass an Agility to Mega Gardevoir and proceed to sweep entire teams. However, pulling this off is rather tricky. Most notably, I have to remove or cripple certain priority users, mainly Talonflame, (Mega) Scizor, and Mega Metagross (with Bullet Punch). I also need to avoid Prankster Thunder Waves from Thundurus and Klefki, which will instantly stop Gardevoir’s sweep. Only after these threats are removed can I attempt to pass an Agility and clean up.

This was built around Mega Gardevoir from the beginning.
I needed a Baton Passer to get Gardevoir to +2 speed. Gliscor was the best option because it can Sub+Protect for as long as needed, waiting for full paralysis, Life Orb recoil, move misses, or switches.
I wanted something to support Gliscor and Gardevoir, and Whimsicott does an excellent job.
I added a Stealth Rocker and a Talonflame and Scizor counter.
I chose Magnezone to easily trap and kill pesky Steel types.
I added a secondary check to Talonflame and Scizor, as well as a blanket check to many boosting sweepers that can set up on Gliscor.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast

Garchomp is my Stealth Rocker and one of my Talonflame and (Mega) Scizor checks (the other being Quagsire). Rocks are very important for this team, since they break Sashes and Multiscale (Mega Gardevoir at +1 still can’t OHKO bulky Dragonite through Multiscale). The chip damage also adds up throughout the battle, making it easier for Gardevoir to sweep. I’m running the bulky Tank Chomp set because that’s the best option against Talonflame, Scizor, and many other priority users except Weavile. Fire Blast is for Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory, all of which need to be weakened or taken out before Gardevoir’s sweep. I use Dragon Claw over Dragon Tail because I don’t want to be forced to move last, which helps in killing slower Pokemon and in the rare case that I pass an Agility to Chomp (this can happen if I mess up and lose Gardevoir). The EVs are meant to outspeed Jolly Bisharp, which threatens Gardevoir with Sucker Punch. I usually lead with Garchomp to set up rocks, unless I’m predicting that the opponent will lead with something that can easily kill Chomp. In that case, I’ll probably lead with Whimsicott.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Agility
- Substitute
- Protect
- Baton Pass

Gliscor’s job is to Baton Pass an Agility to Gardevoir. Ideally, Gliscor will be behind a Substitute when passing, so that Gardevoir gets in undamaged. However, Gardevoir can still come in without a sub on weaker special attacks like HP Ice. Protect allows me to fully regain Substitute recoil due to Poison Heal and is great for scouting and getting the Toxic Orb activated. Agility is required for passing the +2 speed boost, and Baton Pass is likewise obvious. The HP EVs hit a Poison Heal number, and I dump the rest into the defenses. My defense investment is so lopsided because that increases the chances of my substitute surviving one (weak) physical hit. I’d rather have a substitute live two turns than be bulkier on the special side, since that means Gardevoir gets in without damage. The 0 Attack IVs are to minimize damage from confusion and Foul Play; this idea is also used on Gardevoir, Whimsicott, and Magnezone, so I won’t repeat it there.

I bring in Gliscor on bulky Pokemon (Hippowdon, Chansey, Mew, etc.) or physical attackers that aren’t super effective (Garchomp, Landorus-T, etc.), or on Pokemon that are paralyzed (and that hopefully don’t have an Ice move). Here’s why paralysis helps Gliscor: if the opposing Pokemon is fully paralyzed when Gliscor uses Substitute, then I get a free Agility or Baton Pass. I can simply spam Sub+Protect until this happens, or until the opponent switches. Usually the opponent will figure this out and switch on one of my Protect turns, which is remedied by sometimes using Substitute twice in a row. I’m often able to predict the switch and can get the Sub. Another technique I use with Gliscor is PP stalling – if the opponent is using a move with less than 16 PP, then they will eventually be forced into using a different move at some point, and usually this move is non-damaging or is too weak to break the substitute. Since I have many chances to do a double-Substitute, this usually works out in my favor. Another thing Gliscor can do is stall for the opposing Pokemon to die from poison or Life Orb recoil. Since no one expects this set on a Gliscor, the surprise factor causes many switches and therefore free turns for Gliscor to set up.

Gardevoir (F) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 160 Def / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Gardevoir is the star of the team. Calm Mind is very useful when Gardevoir comes in on a Special Attacker, allowing Hyper Voice or Psyshock to OHKO pretty much everything at +1. Focus Blast, although inaccurate, is necessary to beat Steel types. I don’t run HP Fire because that would leave me completely walled by Heatran, and since Gardevoir is my only sweeper, I really can’t afford to be walled by anything. I don’t actually Focus Blast that often because I try to weaken Steels before bringing in Gardevoir so that they can be KO’d with Hyper Voice. Focus Blast is pretty much used when there’s no other choice, at which point I can’t really complain about the accuracy. Also, if I get into a position where I know I can win if I hit one Focus Blast, then I’ll go ahead and take the 70% win rate. It’ll even out eventually.

I’m assuming that Gardevoir will always be passed +2 speed, and the EVs are centered on that idea. There’s no need to run Timid or very much speed, since Modest and 96 speed is enough to outspeed literally everything outside weather except Scarf Latios (and a Scarf Latios can’t really hurt Gardevoir). Without so much Speed investment, Gardevoir becomes much more powerful – I maximize Special Attack and dump the rest of the EVs into Defense to better take priority moves (and all relevant ones are physical). Check out these calcs:

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 160 Def Mega Gardevoir: 208-246 (75 - 88.8%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 160 Def Mega Gardevoir: 169-199 (61 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 160 Def Mega Gardevoir: 196-232 (70.7 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 160 Def Mega Gardevoir: 136-162 (49 - 58.4%)
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 120 Def Mega Gardevoir: 118-139 (42.5 - 50.1%)
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 160 Def Mega Gardevoir: 94-110 (33.9 - 39.7%)
(Gardevoir is still OHKO’d by Bullet Punch from Scizor.)

This means that I can sometimes unleash Gardevoir even before all priority users have been removed; I simply need to ensure that the priority users are weakened enough so that Gardevoir can OHKO them. Further, I need to be wary of chip damage such as Spikes and Sandstorm. If done correctly, getting Mega Gardevoir at +2 speed is essentially an instant win.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Encore
- Stun Spore
- Tailwind
- Memento

Whimsicott supports Gliscor and Gardevoir by spreading paralysis. Gardevoir can be used to revenge kill paralyzed opponents (or severely dent whatever switches in), and Gliscor loves setting up on paralyzed opponents. Encore is a very annoying move for the opponent and pretty much forces a switch. Tailwind is useful because it gives Mega Gardevoir a temporary +2 speed boost which it can use to punch gaping holes in the opposing team before the tailwind expires. Magnezone is also a good user of the Tailwind boost. Memento is used as a last-ditch effort and greatly helps Gliscor set up both Agility and Substitute.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Magnezone is the dedicated Steel trapper, eliminating Steels that give Gardevoir trouble. I use Specs over Scarf because HP Fire with Scarf fails to OHKO Scizor. However, this does leave Magnezone outsped by max Speed Scizor. Another reason to use Specs is that Magnezone sometimes gets +2 Speed anyway (either from Whimsicott’s Tailwind or passed Agility by Gliscor). The 84 Speed EVs let Magnezone outspeed min-speed Skarmory.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Scald
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Quagsire is the secondary check to Talonflame and (Mega) Scizor, and it helps support Gliscor and Gardevoir by spreading burns. He’s the check for any boosting sweepers thanks to Unaware. Since Quagsire is so slow anyway, I figure he might as well be minimum speed for use against Trick Room teams. Earthquake also helps against opposing Steels. Gliscor can abuse Quagsire’s Toxic by Sub+Protect stalling.

List of Pokemon to weaken or kill before setting up Gardevoir (top priority first):
  • Thundurus: Kill; prankster Thunder Wave cripples Gardevoir.
  • Klefki: Kill; prankster Thunder Wave cripples Gardevoir.
  • Scizor (almost all variants, including Mega Scizor): Needs to be killed or burned and weakened because Bullet Punch can OHKO Gardevoir.
  • Talonflame: Needs to be killed if banded; otherwise needs to be weakened to 63% for OHKO with Psyshock (if the Talon is bulky). (Non-Band Jolly Brave Bird does max 84% to Gardevoir.)
  • Mega Metagross: Needs to be killed if running Bullet Punch, weakened otherwise (Focus Blast does 52%, Hyper Voice does 38%).
  • Jirachi: Weaken; Focus Blast does 31% minimum, or 47% at +1. (Might as well kill with Magnezone; Jirachi can’t do much to Magnezone anyway.)
  • Skarmory: Weaken; Focus Blast does 46% minimum, or 69% at +1.
  • Heatran: Weaken; Focus Blast does 65% minimum, or 97% at +1.
  • Ferrothorn: Weaken; Focus Blast does 74% minimum, or OHKO at +1.
  • Excadrill: Weaken; Focus Blast does 76% minimum if specially defensive. Hyper Voice does 49% minimum.
  • Chansey: Weaken; Psyshock does 35% minimum, or 52% at +1. (Chansey can Thunder Wave or Toxic!)

Threats:
  • Talonflame, Scizor, Mega Scizor, Mega Metagross: It’s obvious why these are threats, and for the most part it should be obvious how I deal with them (Garchomp and Quagsire). There’s another trick for Scizor and Klefki that I haven’t discussed: set up Gardevoir normally, and when Scizor/Klefki comes in to stop the sweep, switch to Magnezone to trap. Then, set up again later (or use Whimsicott’s Tailwind).
  • Weavile/Mamoswine: I’m *very* ice weak, and that makes battling Weavile an absolute pain. My best bet is to paralyze it and then use Zone or Quag.
  • Serperior: My two usual answers to setup sweepers are Whimsicott (Stun Spore) and Quagsire (Unaware), but neither of these can touch Serperior. The only thing I can do is use Tailwind and revenge with something (or two!).
  • Thundurus: This can’t be paralyzed and typically runs HP Ice. The only thing I can do is Tailwind and revenge with Mega Gardevoir. If it switches out, I can only hope that I can set up before it comes back.
  • Gengar: I once had a Gengar evade Stun Spore, and it proceeded to wreck the team (it also had Icy Wind).
  • Other fast special sweepers: The majority of my team invests in physical defense but not special defense. If a special sweeper can avoid getting paralyzed, it poses a huge threat to the team.
  • Taunt: Whimsicott and Gliscor both utterly fail against Taunt. I just have to play around that carefully. The good thing is, Gliscor can use Agility while the opponent switches to the Taunt user, and then Gliscor can outspeed and Baton Pass to Gardevoir while the opponent uses Taunt.

Replays (trying to demonstrate a variety of tactics I’ve learned to use):

Things I’ve thought about or tried:

Two other Pokemon can pass speed to Gardevoir: Scolipede (with Speed Boost) and Mew (with Rock Polish). I’ve tried both, and neither is as successful as Gliscor. Scolipede can’t Sub+Protect stall for long before he dies from recoil, which is a problem when trying to set up on paralyzed Pokemon or on moves with low PP. It’s also weak to Stealth Rock, which limits how many chances I get to set up. It’s incredibly frail, and I almost never was able to have a Substitute live more than one hit. Plus, Scolipede doesn’t have the same kind of surprise factor as Gliscor; when you see a Scolipede with Speed Boost, you immediately start thinking about who it’s going to pass to. Mew is another option but suffers from some of the same problems: it can’t stall for very long at all, so getting a Substitute to Gardevoir is almost impossible. Further, Mew attracts Dark types moves, which is terrible for Gardevoir when passing without a sub. Remember, while the Ice weakness is bad, passing to Gardevoir is more important, since it’s necessary in almost every single battle.

I’ve tried using Klefki before as a Prankster paralyzer (also running dual screens) but I found that it wasn’t nearly as useful as Whimsicott. It simply did not disrupt the opposing team consistently, as Whimsicott does (with Encore). The dual screens also didn’t help much, since they would pretty much disappear by the time Gardevoir got onto the field. Thundurus is the final Prankster paralyzer option, but it has the same Ice weakness, so switching Whimsicott to Thundurus won’t help with that.

I’ve thought about HP Fire on Gardevoir over Focus Blast. The only things that HP Fire hits harder are Ferrothorn and (Mega) Scizor. I shouldn’t be staying in on a Scizor anyway, since Bullet Punch OHKO’s Gardevoir. Ferrothorn is actually not that hard to deal with in my experience, whereas Heatran is more menacing.

Final thoughts:

I’ve tried really hard to get rid of my glaring ice weakness, but to no avail. Gliscor is my best option for passing, which was explained above. Garchomp serves two purposes – setting up rocks and being my Talonflame and Scizor checks. I can’t think of another Pokemon that can serve both purposes except Landorus-T, which still has the same Ice weakness. Whimsicott also seemingly can’t change, as explained above. At this point, I feel that making significant improvements to this team would require a major overhaul.

Thus, I am completely fine with an overhaul as long as the core idea remains the same: pass a +2 speed boost to Mega Gardevoir. I know that raters are typically told not to change too many Pokemon, but in this case, it just might be necessary to get improvements. I would like whatever help I can get.

Thank you to everyone who rates!

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Bold Nature
- Agility
- Substitute
- Protect
- Baton Pass

Gardevoir (F) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 160 Def / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Encore
- Stun Spore
- Tailwind
- Memento

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Scald
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Last edited:

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't really like Quagsire on this team that much. It works in theory but in practice it just saps any and all momentum you may have gained. You also lack a sufficient way of dealing with keldeo because every time it comes in it gets a free kill. Because of this, I recommend a change of Quagsire to latios.

Latios plugs in a lot of holes, namely a keldeo weakness alongside a general lack of good water resists (whimsicott can only do so much). Latios gives you a good water resist while also enabling you to drop powerful Draco meteors or Psyshocks on your opponents. A set of dual stabs + roost + thunderbolt should do the trick.

Other than that, give whimsicott moonblast over tailwind because not having any attacks on a mon is a death sentence in this metagame, and tailwind is really not needed.

Latios set:
Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Thunderbolt

Hello Clone! Thanks for the rate. Being honest, I'd have to say that I disagree about Latios > Quagsire. I agree that Keldeo is a threat to the team (it falls under the "Other fast special sweepers" category that I listed). However, I usually manage to beat it, since Whimsicott can paralyze it or give Gardevoir a Tailwind boost, so then Gardevoir can OHKO it. Further, Keldeo can't do that much to Gardevoir aside from the Scald burn, so bringing in Gardevoir usually forces Keldeo out (and nothing enjoys switching into Mega Gardevoir).

The main problem with Latios is that it further makes the team weak to ice! This is something I'm desperately trying to fix, and adding a 4th ice-weak Pokemon isn't going in the right direction. Quagsire is my only real answer to Weavile, and a shaky one too.

I also disagree with having Moonblast on Whimsicott. Yes, Taunt becomes a pain to deal with, but so many times Tailwind turns Gardevoir into a late-game win condition. If the opponent is down to 2-3 Pokemon and none can beat Gardevoir, then Whimsicott's Tailwind usually means a win for me. Further, since Whimsicott has Prankster, Tailwind will always activate before the opponent's Taunt. The third replay listed shows and example of Whimsicott's Tailwind greatly assisting Gardevoir in sweeping.

Thanks again for your comments!

I have a suggestion, why not use the following Lando T set instead of Chomp, it also fulfills most of the rolls mentioned, is vry threatening after an AgiliPass while still checking talon, M-Scizor among other things, while also countering non HP ice Thundy and checking the keychain, while it can, worst case scenario eat a HP Ice and KO, provides a check for M-Meta while also being able to pivot and the Intimidate + U-Turn can help bringing in Pokemon that was not possible before. While you do lose the useful chip damage Chomp provides, you can compensate by the toxic on Quag and forced swithes. Here's the set:

Landorus-Therian @ Earth Plate / Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: {Insert Your Favorable EV Spread Here}
______ Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Smack Down
- U-Turn / Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Just a thought - Ever considered Doom Desire Jirachi > Magnezone, helps at chip damage, forms a nice turn-turn core with lando, and checks steels. Just a thought though.
Nitpick Alert: You put Tornadus instead of Thundurus in the Threat List!!!

I've been running the team a bit because I liked the concept, and I think if you try swapping quagsire and whimsicott to klefki and slowbro, you will have a solid check to keldeo and weavile as well as two very versatile pokemon. I don't advise dual screens klefki, but a set of thunder wave play rough spikes and either fairy lock, heal block, flash cannon or foul play in the last slot along with a standard defensive slowbro set. Slowbro also keeps your team from being obliterated by mega medicham who would steamroll the entire team otherwise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)