ORAS OU Houdini

Here's a fun squad I've been using lately that I thought I'd share. Probably not the most solid thing out there but fuck using stale ass balance and stall pls stop using boring teams.

Houdini

In Detail

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Grass Knot

Magic Mega Meta, houdini himself. He is a really good wall breaker in the current meta, thanks to the fact he can hit all of his counters with a tough claws boosted super effective hit. Hippowdown, Slowbro, Heatran and Ferrothorn are all bulky ass fuckers who don't wanna let Talonflame and Gyarados have fun, so this set does a great job in luring them in and weakening them to the point where they can no longer wall my sweepers. Hammer arm and grass knot respectively are easy 2hkos on the aforementioned mons. If you are as lucky as goldensun, meteor mash will always get the Atk raise, allowing you to muscle past landorus therian and gliscor as well. Metagross is also a nice stall destroyer, since it eviscerates those fucking unaware cores and beats down skarm eventually with hammer arm. Hasty nature was chosen to max out Meta's speed, allowing him to force a speed tie with a bunch of things like Gengar, Latios and Latias. Since Metagross already has godly defense, hasty seems to be the best nature so you can take draco meteors and hydro pumps better etc.

Talonflame @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Natural Gift

Talonflame is a great revenge killer/sweeper/lure and how I play it depends on the opposition's team. If they have a rotom-w, I definitely want to bait it in with SD and smash it with a 100BP grass move thanks to Liechi Berry. Against other teams he fulfils the role of sweeper, cleaning up end game after a SD. Gale wings is a great ability obviously as it allows talonflame to check a bunch of dangerous threats with Brave Bird. I use Jolly nature since it outspeeds opposing adamant CB talonflames which are pretty threatening to my squad. The EVs also speed creep the standard SD talon as well i believe.

Ferrothorn @ Chople Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Atk / 164 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed

Ferrothorn is a pretty nice utility poke, albeit passive as all fuck. He is my primary Electric/Water/Dragon resist and check for [insert assorted strong attackers here]. Gyro Ball is literally the most useless move ever so I opt for the manly combination of knock off and power whip. Power whip is actually crucial for this team since it does enough to scary mons like Landorus-i for talonflame to pick off with brave bird. It also prevents shit like Gyarados subbing on you and DD'ing for free. Knock off complements power whip and is a cool auxiliary move that makes ferrothorn more of a nuisance, knocking off choice items, life orbs, leftovers etc. One example that springs to mind is getting the scarf off magnezone, so it can't trap metagross or revenge kill. Leech seed is a nice move to heal ferrothorn and allows it to sit in on slowbros. Leech Seed + Powerwhip wears it down nicely, especially if I can toxic it with dugtrio first. Chople berry is awesome because i can stay in on Gengar, Keldeo, Lopunny etc and get off a thunder wave or knock off/power whip, crippling them for the remainder of the match.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

I've always loved dugtrio ever since i was 6 years old and raped Lt. Surge with it. Dug is a nice addition to this team since it can trap Bisharp, Manectric, Heatran, Tyranitar and a few others. Trapping the latter two is obviously huge since it makes life a lot easier for talonflame to SD up and attempt a sweep. Trapping bisharp is quite useful to since its a pretty nasty mon and can sucker punch Metagross, Talonflame etc. Pretty standard set really. Stealth rocks obviously is a must, and stone edge provides a nice coverage option along side EQ. Toxic is nice for things like Slowbro, Sableye, Landorus therian, Hippowdon etc. since most mons that like coming into dug hate toxic.

Gyarados (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 144 HP / 176 Atk / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

Sub DD Gyarados is a very dangerous mon, as it can set up easily on choice locked moves from a whole lot of mons i.e. Keldeo. It also sets up on Ferrothorn, who cannot leech seed and whose measly piss-weak gyro ball cannot break sub. The sub also protects you from rotom-w, as you sub as they volt-switch out, giving you the next turn to DD again or straight out attack. Bounce is a nice move as it gives you a secondary stab to hit Venusaur, Latios, Suicune, Keldeo, Azumarill etc. while also giving you a free turn of leftovers. Overall, Gyarados is a great addition to the team and has nice offensive synergy with mega Metagross and Talonflame, as they work together to break down each other's checks ad counters.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

Latios rounds out the squad by providing defog support since Talonflame and Gyarados have weakness to stealth rocks. Psyshock & Draco Meteor the obligatory stab moves and are pretty self explanatory, no need for me to elaborate there. Hidden power fire gives me a way to cripple Ferrothorn, Metagross, Bisharp etc. who love to come in on both of Latios' other attacks. There's really alot you can do with this slot and I've tried a bunch of different things like Heal Block / Trick Scarf Latios but Hidden Power fire seems to be the most consistent

Final Thoughts
- Fuck Scald 100% burn.
- Also fuck Tornadus therian, that thing is annoying AF to face when using this squad, but thats gen 6 for ya, too many fucking mons.
- Thanks for reading, if anyones got any suggestions feel free to lemme know :]

Last edited:
- Also fuck Tornadus therian, that thing is annoying AF to face when using this squad, but thats gen 6 for ya, too many fucking mons.
:]

Anyways I think I'm going to go ahead and rate this team because you battled me with it for OST and it's a really well built team

First off, I'd like to suggest you Healing Wish Latias over Latios. Healing Wish is a really solid addition to your team mainly because of how Gyarados can get worn down quite easily between Stealth Rock and passive/residual damage, as well as maybe having to mid-sweep and rack up damage, and being able to have two attempts at sweeping can easily turn the tide in your game. You still will have the same firepower (for the most part), Defog, and actually will just have more overall bulk, all at the cost of one moveslot (preferably HP Fire). Healing Wish is also really good because Metagross can be suspect to priority when it's weakened, and Dugtrio can have its Sash reintact and such.

Next off, CM Mega Sableye poops all over your team if it gets multiple Calm Minds (or even just one) up, as it can spread burns to your physical attackers early-game because of Prankster, and it has enough bulk to survive Latios's Draco while subsequently using Recover. It can be a huge pain if Gyarados is gone or isn't behind a sub, and even then relying on Gyara to get just a sub up seems very shaky as a check. For this reason, I want you to consider Roost, Acrobatics, and no item on Talonflame. Swords Dance Talonflame is already a great set at crushing offense, but with Roost, you immediately become a danger to Mega Sableye, as you can boost alongside it quite easily because you boost much quicker while continuously shrugging off Mega Sableye's Dark Pulse/shadow ball and boosting with ease. Acrobatics is much better as the difference is marginal from BB, and stops you from being worn down as easily between recoil + damage, and Swords Dance fixes any damage problems. Rotom-W is definitely not a big threat to your team as it is worn down ridiculously fast between multiple Acrobatics and opposing teammate's attacks and is generally just not so much of a problem that Talonflame needs to dedicate a whole moveslot to it. This is a somewhat change, but still not something to dismiss.

Lastly, I really, really understand how valuable Knock Off seems to you especially in that Magnezone example, but overall, I feel like Spikes is the better choice in that last slot due to the fact that it makes it so much easier for Gyarados to sweep in the end because of stealth rock + 1 layer of spikes doing a quarter damage to grounded neutral pokemon, and since Gyarados and Talonflame both work as win conditions, the hazard support is great.

This is mostly all I can find. This team is solid and I think my changes are really going to improve it. Hope you make use of this :)

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Flare Blitz / Taunt
- Roost

the first big weakness that i noticed is landorus (therian form too if holding earth plate). the only thing that prevents them from sweeping (the rock polish sets) is ferrothorn which gets 2hko'd. the one of the cooler arswers to it is hydreigon. i recomend it over other checks or counters since it not only stops its two forms but also helps with mega slowbro which is another big issie for the team. unfortunatly you will have to make an double change: drop latias and ferrothorn for hydreigon and scizor. give sr to dugtrio

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thank God I don't have to see "I like mega Sableye so let me run it with Clefable and Skarm to make an original stall team" like 90% of these OU RMTs.

Now on to the actual rate:

Go with Healing Wish Latias > Latios. Like Mysteria said, you have a few set up sweepers that can be worn down easily (especially by rocks) that can really dent a team the "2nd time around" thanks to Healing Wish. I recommend the 72 HP/ 184/ 252 Spe with Timid Nature Spread to beat Life Orb Thundurus 1v1. Should you stay with Latios, lower the HP IVs to 29 to get a Life Orb number (more attacks)

Switch Stealth Rock or Spikes > Knock Off onto Ferrothorn, and give Dugtrio Memento in the new space. With the aftermentioned Set Up sweepers, Memento gives both Talonflame and Gyarados huge opportunities to begin a sweep, and with healing wish, they can resume again.

That's bascially all I have for you. Thank you for not having Mega Sableye or building stall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)