Hitmontop [QC 2/3] (QC rejected 3/3)

Sapphire.

Es gibt Licht, wo immer Sie sind
is a Contributor Alumnus
QC Checks: Kushalos, radianthero156
GP Checks:

Overview
########

Hitmontop faces a ton of competition, and usually, its job is done better by other Pokemon, especially Forretress as a defensive Rapid Spin user. However, it has incredible bulk and access to Intimidate. In addition, it has access to Rapid Spin and has a decent offensive presence as it sports a base 95 Attack, which Forretress does not. It also has access to priority from Sucker Punch, allowing it to pick off weakened foes. It also has a move that most Rapid Spin users yearn for, Foresight, which prevents identified Ghost-types from spin blocking. However, Hitmontop is not without its faults; it faces competition with other Rapid Spin users such as Blastoise and Starmie, which are more offensive. In XY, Defog was buffed, so now it removes hazards on both sides of the field, making Hitmontop hard to fit onto a team. Nonetheless, Hitmontop can be a worthwile addition to certain teams.

Rapid Spin
########
name: Rapid Spin
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Toxic / Foresight
move 4: Sucker Punch / Stone Edge
ability: Intimidate
item: Leftovers
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
nature: Impish

Moves
========

Rapid Spin is obviously the most important move, allowing Hitmontop to remove entry hazards from your side of the field. Close Combat prevents Hitmontop from being total Taunt bait, and also serves as its STAB attack. The third move is a toss up. Toxic is the preferred option, putting a timer on walls or deadly sweepers. However, Foresight allows Hitmontop to use Rapid Spin and Close Combat on Ghost-type Pokemon, unless they have two of them. However, if the opponent doesn't have a Ghost-type Pokemon, this move wastes a moveslot instead. The last move is also a toss up. Sucker Punch is the preferred option, allowing Hitmontop to pick off weakened foes. Stone Edge, however, provides great coverage and lets Hitmontop to punish the Flying-type Pokemon that try to switch in.

Set Details
========

The given EVs maximize Hitmontop's physical bulk and minimizes damage taken from hazards, which it will be switching into a lot. In conjunction with Intimidate, most physical attackers have a hard time taking Hitmontop down. Leftovers compliment Hitmontop's physical bulk, allowing it to heal damage it might have taken from entry hazards or status such as burn and poison. An Impish nature is used to further increase Hitmontop's bulk.

Usage Tips
========

Be careful when you see a Ghost-type on your opponent's team. If you predict them switching in, use Foresight so you can use Rapid Spin, or Toxic to wear them down. However, note that if your opponent has two Ghost-types, it allows them to spin block. Hitmontop can easily switch into many of the prominent physical attackers in the tier, thanks to Intimidate. Do not try to switch Hitmontop into super effective special attacks, as they will hurt a lot. Lastly, try not to get Hitmontop inflicted with status because it has no way of curing it, this getting worn down really easily.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that appreciate hazard removal such as Yanmega, Darmanitan, and Chandelure make good partners. Psychic-types such as Mew and Slowbro make great partners because they can switch into Psychic moves aimed at it, and in return, Hitmontop can take on the Dark-type moves directed at them. Cleric support from Florges and Umbreon make fantastic partners, as they can cure status and pass huge Wishes to improve Hitmontop's longevity. Umbreon in particular has excellent type synergy with Hitmontop.

Other Options
########

Hitmontop can run an Assault Vest set, however it gets worn down very easily and is outclassed by Blastoise as a bulky offensive Rapid Spin user. Earthquake can be used to hit Poison-types such as Nidoking and Nidoqueen, however it's really hard to find a moveslot for it. Aerial Ace can be used to KO Heracross and other common Pokemon in the tier, though it has little use other than that. High Jump Kick can be used to deal massive amounts of damage, but sadly, it can miss and upon missing, Hitmontop loses half of its HP. Mach Punch can be used as another form of priority, although Sucker Punch is generally better since it gives Hitmontop a way to hit Psychic-types that fill the tier. Technician can be used as an ability, but Hitmontop is outclassed in offensive roles and Intimidate is one of the only reasons to use it.

Checks & Counters
########

**Psychic-types** Psychic-type Pokemon such as Mew and Slowbro can force Hitmontop with their powerful STAB attacks, or burn it with Will-O-Wisp and Scald, respectively.

**Fairy-types** Fairy-types such as Florges and Aromatisse resist both Close Combat and Sucker Punch and can use it as setup fodder to Wish pass or force it out with their STAB attacks.

**Ghost-types** Ghost-types such as Sableye and Mismagius stop Sableye right in its tracks because they are immune to Close Combat and Rapid Spin. Both have access to Taunt as well as Will-O-Wisp. However, if you predict them switching in, use Foresight and then you can use Rapid Spin to remove hazards on your side of the field. Note that if the opponent carries two Ghost-types, Hitmontop can't remove hazards.

**Nidoqueen and Nidoking** Nidoqueen and Nidoking resists almosts all of Hitmontop's moves, and can force it out with their powerful special attacks.

**Status** Status such as burn and poison wear down Hitmontop really fast because it has no reliable recovery or any way to cure it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't really call Hitmontop a "great" Pokemon. It faces a ton of competition from a lot of other Spinners/Defoggers, and in general is outclassed by Forre as a defensive Rapid Spinner. In the Overview, I'd instead emphasize how this thing faces a ton of competition and its job is usually done by other Pokemon, especially Forretress, but it's benefits (such as a good defensive typing, Foresight, Intimidate, etc) make it worthwhile on certain teams.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Definitely need to mention Technitop in OO. How did that slip through?

I would prefer hitmontop using technician over intimidate because hitmontop has many priority attacks that powered up by technician.Technician also boost rapid spin's power.Technician with assault vest also work well that made hitmontop bulky.With EV spread252 atk/4 speed/252 Def,item assault vest,technician,and mach punch,bullet punch,rapid spin,and aerial ace,hitmontop becomes a top threat. you better try this set.

Sapphire.

is a Contributor Alumnus
HP should be 248 rather then 252
Why should it be 248 HP EVs? Explain please.

Definitely need to mention Technitop in OO. How did that slip through?
I thought about adding that, though I didn't know what to say. Intimidate is like the only reason to use Hitmontop.

I would prefer hitmontop using technician over intimidate because hitmontop has many priority attacks that powered up by technician.Technician also boost rapid spin's power.Technician with assault vest also work well that made hitmontop bulky.With EV spread252 atk/4 speed/252 Def,item assault vest,technician,and mach punch,bullet punch,rapid spin,and aerial ace,hitmontop becomes a top threat. you better try this set.
Its priority attacks are still walled by a lot of stuff and AV Hitmontop is bad because it gets worn down really easily and stuff like Mew and Florges exist. Also, it's not like Technician will boost Rapid Spin's power so much it'll do a lot, but thanks anyway! I'll add Bullet Punch to Other Options, though.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
248 HP minimizes damage taken from hazards. It's a small detail, but it's probably worth implementing, especially considering this thing is going to be switching into hazards a lot to clear them.

Also TechniTop should probably be mentioned in OO, though mainly to advise against it.
Hitmontop resists SR anyway, so I don't really understand why that is much of an issue, seeing as Spikes are rather uncommon.

Hitmontop resists SR anyway, so I don't really understand why that is much of an issue, seeing as Spikes are rather uncommon.
I'm just saying you're only losing 4 HP EVs for the ability to take less damage from Stealth Rock and Spikes, which Hitmontop will be switching into relatively often. It's worth it for sure, I'm not really sure how you could say otherwise.

Martin

I'm just saying you're only losing 4 HP EVs for the ability to take less damage from Stealth Rock and Spikes, which Hitmontop will be switching into relatively often. It's worth it for sure, I'm not really sure how you could say otherwise.
I guess it also minimizes poison and burn damage, so I guess that could be another reason. Scratch what I said.

Sapphire. make sure to point out that Foresight should only really be used on a predicted switch (remove the point about Sableye taunting before you foresight while you're at it because that isn't going to be what's stopping you from using Rapid Spin if you are a half-decent player due to you only using it on switches), and make sure to say that double-ghost strategies screw Hitmontop over too.

Sapphire.

is a Contributor Alumnus
I guess it also minimizes poison and burn damage, so I guess that could be another reason. Scratch what I said.

Sapphire. make sure to point out that Foresight should only really be used on a predicted switch (remove the point about Sableye taunting before you foresight while you're at it because that isn't going to be what's stopping you from using Rapid Spin if you are a half-decent player due to you only using it on switches), and make sure to say that double-ghost strategies screw Hitmontop over too.
Uh I think I already mentioned about predicting foresight on the switch, I can't find where I talked about Sableye. XD I added the double Ghosts thing. Thanks!

Martin

Uh I think I already mentioned about predicting foresight on the switch, I can't find where I talked about Sableye. XD I added the double Ghosts thing. Thanks!
Sableye is in C&C.

Just make sure the double ghost thing is in C&C and not only hidden in the overview, just in case you do dat by accident (which you won't, but better safe than sorry :)).

Like I said on the VM, I don't see Hitmontop having a big enough niche. Intimidate is very cool, but without Foresight you're almost always better off using Forry as a Spinner that can't get past Ghosts, and Foresight alone doesn't even beat Froslass teams.

Therefore,

QC Rejected 1/3

Sorry

Reactions: g

Martin

Like I said on the VM, I don't see Hitmontop having a big enough niche. Intimidate is very cool, but without Foresight you're almost always better off using Forry as a Spinner that can't get past Ghosts, and Foresight alone doesn't even beat Froslass teams.

Therefore,

QC Rejected 1/3

Sorry
Hitmontop has pleanty going for it, and Frosslass shouldn't be an issue for it as a spinblocker due to its reliance on predicting around Sucker Punch and Foresight. While I agree with you that it has no reason to not run foresight and that should be changed immediately, Hitmontop having Intimidate, Foresight and Sucker Punch means that Ghost-types are going to have a big job predicting around Hitmontop as they may switch in on a Foresight, and then if they don't switch in on Foresight they then have to predict around the two moves (if they attack, Hitmontop may go for Sucker Punch and deal heavy damage. If they don't, it may use Foresight and then go for 'spin. It is too much prediction to deal with in order to reliably spinblock. The only way ti stop Hitmontop from spinning reliably is through the use of double-ghosts, which leaves your team with a weakness to Dark- and Ghost-type moves. I think thats a pretty big niche if you ask me.

Sapphire. On the topic of dark-type weaknesses, you could mention users of pursuit in team options to trap double-ghost strategies.

edit: Ok. I have a slightly revamped version of the set here.

Remove
Moved Away

Moved To
(Comment)

Rapid Spin
########
name: Rapid Spin
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Close CombatForesight (Foresight is completely necessary to let you spin on ghosts and is more imprtant than CC and Sucker Punch)
move 3: Toxic / ForesightSucker Punch (Sucker Punch is more important than CC and is, once again, vital for the mindgames it creates)
move 4: Sucker Punch / Stone EdgeToxic / Close Combat (These moves are filler and depend on the team. Stone Edge isn't worth a moveslot)
ability: Intimidate
item: Leftovers
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
nature: Impish

Last edited:
The problem with hitmontop is it needs foresight to be able to spin on ghosts but without toxic it has no actually way to get through them. In the case of a 2 ghost team, which most people should be running if they're using spikes stacking hitmontop can predict as many ghost switch ins as it likes but still fail to actually get a spin off (and in the case of sableye just get taunted so it can't foresight) so IMO there's way better spinners out there that pretty much give hitmontop no valuable niche in the metagame.

Therefore I'm going to have too

QC rejected 2/3

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
qc rejected 3/3

also for the record it should be 252 hp not 248 hp idk why people put 248 on random mons that dont need it lol

Sapphire.

is a Contributor Alumnus
qc rejected 3/3

also for the record it should be 252 hp not 248 hp idk why people put 248 on random mons that dont need it lol
I put 252 HP originally, but people told me to change it to 248 HP EVs. :I
Anyway this analysis is rejected now; Ernesto, you can now move this to outdated / locked analyses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)