Pokémon Hippowdon

Your experiences with Hippowdon could be summarized with...

• I've never used or seen it, but it looks pretty terrible.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Hippowdon - The Heavyweight Pokémon

X Flavor Text - "It brandishes its gaping mouth in a display of fearsome strength. It raises vast quantities of sand while attacking."
Y Flavor Text - "It blasts internally stored sand from ports on its body to create a towering twister for attack."

Pokédex Number - #450 (National) | #049 (Coastal)

Type -
Base Stats - 108 HP / 112 Atk / 118 Def / 68 SAtk / 72 SDef / 47 Spe

Abilities:

Sand Stream: Sand Stream summons a sandstorm in battle as soon as a Pokémon with Sand Stream enters the battle. Its effects almost are the same as Sandstorm's; the only difference is that instead of lasting for five turns, it lasts for the whole battle until a different weather condition replaces it. If a Pokémon with Sand Stream is sent out in the same turn as another Pokémon whose Ability causes a different weather condition, the slower Pokémon's Ability will override the faster Pokémon's Ability. The sandstorm will last only for five turns instead. This can be extended to eight turns if the Pokémon is holding a Smooth Rock.

Sand Force (Hidden): Sand Force raises the power of Rock-, Ground-, and Steel-type moves by 30% while a Sandstorm is in effect. It also gives the user immunity to damage from Sandstorm.

Notable Moves (Bold indicates STAB):

Ice Fang (Start)
Earthquake (Lvl 40, TM 26)
Toxic (TM 06)
Stone Edge (TM 71)
Whirlwind (Breed w/ Shiftry)
Body Slam (Breed w/ Torkoal, Spheal, Sealeo, Walrein, Purugly)
Curse (Breed w/ Torkoal, Bidoof, Bibarel
Slack Off (Breed w/ Skakoth, Vigoroth, Slaking, Chimchar, Monferno, Infernape)
Stealth Rock (Transfer)

General Analysis:

Oh... poor Hippowdon. There has been almost been a year of Gen VI OU, and this guy still has no thread. Why has it taken this long for an A Ranked Pokemon to get its own thread? My honest opinion is its general anonymity. The Hippo is #100 in terms of general usage, and #54 in terms of 1760 usage, and this is, in my opinion, not enough for a pokemon with such a fantastic walling capability. With its monstrous HP stat, great defense, and fair special defense, it's able to be an amazing mixed wall that can also serve as utility for the team and hit reasonably hard.

Movesets:

Hippowdon @ Leftovers / Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream / Sand Force
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge / Toxic / Whirlwind

Set Description:

Earthquake is a very useful because it disallows other Pokemon from using the Hippo as setup fodder. Stealth Rock is also very useful because it pressures the opponent into switching less frequently and quickly handicaps powerful Pokemon like Pinsir, Talonflame, and Charizard. Slack Off is the most useful move, as it gives the beast reliable recovery! The last move is a wild card: Toxic allows the Hippo to handle Levitating or Flying-type defensive Pokemon, Whirlwind spreads hazard damage throughout the team and can prematurely end a sweep, and Stone Edge is useful for killing Charizard-Y, Pinsir, and Talonflame. Overall the set is very useful because it can check/counter common physical and special attackers such as Thundurus, Mega Charizard Y, Aegislash, Deoxys-S, Gengar, Pinsir, Talonflame, and Excadrill. Sand Stream is generally the preferred ability because it nullifies the opponent's Leftovers and provides gradual HP loss on pokemon without Leftovers. Sand Force, however, is the preferred ability if you happen to be running a team with Leftovers on Pokemon not immune to Sandstorm. Sand also hurts the recovery from Synthesis, Moonlight, and Morning Sun; so if you run Venusaur or Cresselia it is definitely the better ability. Sand Stream also gets rid of Charizard-Y's Drought, which allows it to handle it much easier.

• 112 Base attack is pretty phenomenal for a defensive pokemon and it's not too shabby for an offensive one. Curse or Banded sets could work, with EdgeQuake coverage + Ice Fang + a Filler.

Overall, Hippowdon is a phenomenal mixed wall that can handle many viable Pokemon. Hippowdon is often passed over because of its absence from the list of OU Pokemon, however Hippowdon is a great defensive Pokemon when used correctly. Seriously, just use it! People are not overselling it at all on the OU Viability list. It may be shocking how this went from B+ rank to A rank in two weeks, but what's more astonishing is that it was ever as low as B+.

Last edited:
Oh man, Hippowdon is absolutely awesome, providing the rock resistance that the zards, pinsir, thundurus, and talonflame GREATLY appreciate (and need for that matter). He is bulky and provides utility and rocks, along with good neutral attack power.

However, the one thing I don't understand is that it can run a special defensive set. While I get it has a really good HP stat and an average special defense stat, it's typing, and the current shape of the metagame, discourages it from doing so in my opinion. Greninja's and KyuB's Ice Beam, Charizard's Solarbeam, and Specs Keldeo running amok, how does Specially Defensive Hippowdon deal with that?

In my eyes, a pokemon's defensive role (be it physical or special) depends first on their resistances, then closely by stats. For example, take deoxys defense. It has a horrendous typing, but it's only defeated by ghost, dark, and bug moves. Fair enough. The most common moves of these types is Knock Off, Sucker Punch, Shadow Sneak, and Shadow Ball, with Bug type moves barely seen in the meta beyond Mega Heracross's Pin Missile, and Scolipede's Megahorn.

So, seeing as the majority of the supereffective attacks focused on Deoxys Defense will be physical, I wouldn't bother with a theoretical defensive set, but instead make it a special defensive wall (again speaking in blank theory, not the current state of the meta game).

In a similar manner, Hippowdon has a fantastic defense stat, key resistance for many top notch sweepers, as well as being able to check other physical threats thanks to the fantastic bulk.

Specially speaking, it's weak to ice, water, and grass, with ice and water being rather common. Also, specially, Hippowdon has no useful type resistances, making me question the viability of the specially defensive set.

tl;dr what's this specially defensive set I keep hearing about?

Oh man, Hippowdon is absolutely awesome, providing the rock resistance that the zards, pinsir, thundurus, and talonflame GREATLY appreciate (and need for that matter). He is bulky and provides utility and rocks, along with good neutral attack power.

However, the one thing I don't understand is that it can run a special defensive set. While I get it has a really good HP stat and an average special defense stat, it's typing, and the current shape of the metagame, discourages it from doing so in my opinion. Greninja's and KyuB's Ice Beam, Charizard's Solarbeam, and Specs Keldeo running amok, how does Specially Defensive Hippowdon deal with that?

In my eyes, a pokemon's defensive role (be it physical or special) depends first on their resistances, then closely by stats. For example, take deoxys defense. It has a horrendous typing, but it's only defeated by ghost, dark, and bug moves. Fair enough. The most common moves of these types is Knock Off, Sucker Punch, Shadow Sneak, and Shadow Ball, with Bug type moves barely seen in the meta beyond Mega Heracross's Pin Missile, and Scolipede's Megahorn.

So, seeing as the majority of the supereffective attacks focused on Deoxys Defense will be physical, I wouldn't bother with a theoretical defensive set, but instead make it a special defensive wall (again speaking in blank theory, not the current state of the meta game).

In a similar manner, Hippowdon has a fantastic defense stat, key resistance for many top notch sweepers, as well as being able to check other physical threats thanks to the fantastic bulk.

Specially speaking, it's weak to ice, water, and grass, with ice and water being rather common. Also, specially, Hippowdon has no useful type resistances, making me question the viability of the specially defensive set.

The Sp. Def. set you are most likely hearing about is the mixed wall Hippowdon with 252 HP / 252 Sp. Def +. He is in great use as due to the fact he can defeat Crumbler Aegislash with little difficulty

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 142-168 (33.8 - 40%) -- 28.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Which he then destroys with Earthquake.

And the fact he destroys Char-Y's Sun, meaning he takes

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 186-219 (44.2 - 52.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Rock Slide says hi, but that's not a Guaranteed OHKO I think...

4 Atk Hippowdon Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 292-348 (97.9 - 116.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
After Sand Damage it is though. :D

These are just two key examples that I often see it being used. Others may see more, but the fact he effortlessly checks two S RANKED Pokémon is quite ridiculous...

And here I was thinking only reason Hippowdon wasn't getting a thread was cause it fit under Old Mon discussion...

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
The glorified Special Defensive set is what I i put in the OP :P But, if you want to learn more about it, you can view the CC thread here. Trainer Au asserts why it's a really good set. It's able to handle common special attackers like Thundurus, Mega Charizard Y, Aegislash, Latios, Latias, Deoxys-S, Gengar, and Tornadus-T, and then retaliate with toxic/stone edge. Its mixed bulk is great on the set, as 118 physical bulk is pretty great, even uninvested. Here are some bulk comparisons between the sets:
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 142-168 (33.8 - 40%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hippowdon: 111-132 (26.4 - 31.4%) -- guaranteed 4HK
vs.
252 SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 190-225 (45.2 - 53.5%) -- 38.7% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 82-97 (19.5 - 23%) -- possible 5HKO

For mixed walling, the specially defensive set is much better. With investment, the difference between Shadow Ball's power can be 20%, while Shadow Claw's power only changes 12%. If you want a dedicated physical wall, the desired spread is obvious. But, if you want something else, a specially defensive spread is often preferred.

no useful type resistances, making me question the viability of the specially defensive set.
He's immune to Electric, which is huge. It can handle the typical Thundurus as well as Manectric very well. Yes, its only notable resistance is rock, and it is weak to water, grass, and ice. But, for a mixed wall, it's usually better to compensate for its lower defensive stat, especially when the other one, and its HP, are so monstrous. Specially defensive Hippo's stats are 419/274/267, while physically defensive Hippo's stats are 419/368/182. There's a huge imbalance, and if you want to be able to handle Thundurus, even if it has HP ice, 267 special defense is much more appealing than 182.
I think Hippowdon is good enough to warrant its own thread. Tbh, every A rank pokemon deserves one. Also, it has changed from being primarily a weather supporter to being a wall, so I think/hope this is a better place for it than the Old Mon Thread.

Last edited:
It's typing does not give it a lot of resistances to play with, but man this thing is awesome. I use it solely as a defensive wall and can sometimes wall whole teams out just with the Hippo. This is the set I use if anyone is wondering. I would recommend this poke very much.

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 Spd
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Roar
- Slack Off

The 32 speed evs are to outspeed Mega Mawile (uninvested in speed).

It's typing does not give it a lot of resistances to play with, but man this thing is awesome. I use it solely as a defensive wall and can sometimes wall whole teams out just with the Hippo. This is the set I use if anyone is wondering. I would recommend this poke very much.

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 Spd
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Roar
- Slack Off

The 32 speed evs are to outspeed Mega Mawile (uninvested in speed).

Would you mind giving me an idea why you would want Hippowdon to outspeed Mega Mawile? As to my use of him, being able to attack after min. speed Aegi is a big seller nowadays, so I would like your reasoning if ya wouldn't mind.

Would you mind giving me an idea why you would want Hippowdon to outspeed Mega Mawile? As to my use of him, being able to attack after min. speed Aegi is a big seller nowadays, so I would like your reasoning if ya wouldn't mind.
Well even with the 32 spd evs the Hippo is still slower than Aegislash even with min. speed. Aegislash with min. speed is 140 while Hippo with 32 spd evs is 138. So it works out both ways :). And to your question as to why I want to outspeed Mega Mawile, it's cause a +2 Sucker Punch does not 1hoko Hippo but a Play Rough from +2 does, which is why I like to get the stab eq off.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
Well even with the 32 spd evs the Hippo is still slower than Aegislash even with min. speed. Aegislash with min. speed is 140 while Hippo with 32 spd evs is 138. So it works out both ways :). And to your question as to why I want to outspeed Mega Mawile, it's cause a +2 Sucker Punch does not 1hoko Hippo but a Play Rough from +2 does, which is why I like to get the stab eq off.
By min speed, I think Salamence meant with a Quiet nature. In that case, Hippowdon will be faster.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
Yes, Aegislash with Quiet is 140 speed and Hippo with 32 evs is 138.
Don't forget EV's. The common quiet aegislash has 112 speed, so Hippo would be faster. Also, most Mawiles, or at least most higher on the ladder, use a recommended 124 EV's in speed, putting its final speed at 167. Hippo needs 152 speed EV's to beat it, which sacrifices too much bulk, imo. I guess the choice on Hippo is underspeeding Aegislash or outspeeding 0 speed mawile. You should do whatever your team needs the most.

Don't forget EV's. The common quiet aegislash has 112 speed, so Hippo would be faster. Also, most Mawiles, or at least most higher on the ladder, use a recommended 124 EV's in speed, putting its final speed at 167. Hippo needs 152 speed EV's to beat it, which sacrifices too much bulk, imo. I guess the choice on Hippo is underspeeding Aegislash or outspeeding 0 speed mawile. You should do whatever your team needs the most.
Yeah I guess you have to make a choice there, but I find Mega Mawile more threatening than Aegislash just because of the power it packs. Aegislash is easier to deal with, at least with the teams I make.

Back to Hippowdon though, I'll see if I can find and post some replays showing how effective it can be.

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sand Force actually has a use on stall teams as Sand Stream causes the other stallers to lose health and Mega-Venusaur to have Synthesis nerfed so you may want to mention that.

Well I guess the main reason why SpD Hippo is used at all is/was his ability to hardcounter Aegislash Crumbler and Tank sets. Yes it can also take HP Ice hits with relative ease and force stuff like thundurus out but that wasnt the main reason for its use. Because of that Id bet that the SpD set will decline in usage in the upcomming weeks/months since, with the rise of sub toxic Aegislash, it can no longer counter it.

Nevertheless Hippo still makes for an awesome physical wall and stealth rock setter and even though I believe that full SpD investment has overlived its purpose it can be very beneficial to put some EVs in SpD to hit certain benchmarks like avoiding the ohko from ZardY and the 2hko from tank aegis shadow ball. Its also enough to avoid 2hkos from most HP Ice users. With 120 Spd EVs it can do both and it isnt realy missing those EVs in defense because there arent many benchmarks that are lost, the only one I know of is against + 2 mega mawile who has a higher chance of ohkoing, with full def investment it still can but its less likely.

Last edited:
Well I guess the main reason why SpD Hippo is used at all is/was his ability to hardcounter Aegislash Crumbler and Tank sets. Yes it can also take HP Ice hits with relative ease and force stuff like thundurus out but that wasnt the main reason for its use. Because of that Id bet that the SpD set will decline in usage in the upcomming weeks/months since, with the rise of sub toxic Aegislash, it can no longer counter it.

Nevertheless Hippo still makes for an awesome physical wall and stealth rock setter and even though I believe that full SpD investment has overlived its purpose it can be very beneficial to put some EVs in SpD to hit certain benchmarks like avoiding the ohko from ZardY and the 2hko from tank aegis shadow ball. Its also enough to avoid 2hkos from most HP Ice users. With 120 Spd EVs it can do both and it isnt realy missing those EVs in defense because there arent many benchmarks that are lost, the only one I know of is against + 2 mega mawile who has a higher chance of ohkoing, with full def investment it still can but its less likely.
That sounds like a far more reasonable option to me and the one that serves the best purpose. Avoiding aegislash's 2KO from shadow ball is key because you want to hard wall the crumbler set and with slack and these ev's, you can.

With those 120 SpD you cant hardwall the Crumbler set, for that you need to be fully SpD. Its enough to tank Leftover/airballoon sets but not Spookyplate/Lifeorb Sets. I rarely saw Crumbler sets thats why I opted for the more physical oriented spread. And as mentioned the Crumbler will probably decline even more in usage so i dont see myself going back to full SpD anytime soon.

With those 120 SpD you cant hardwall the Crumbler set, for that you need to be fully SpD. Its enough to tank Leftover/airballoon sets but not Spookyplate/Lifeorb Sets. I rarely saw Crumbler sets thats why I opted for the more physical oriented spread. And as mentioned the Crumbler will probably decline even more in usage so i dont see myself going back to full SpD anytime soon.
Oh ok that makes more sense.

I tend to be hesitant about dropping defense investment just because with full defense investments it gives hippowdon some time to do something (toxic status, whirlwind, or hit with edgequake) against even boosted threats like +2 bisharp and pinsir and +1 char x

phil

could do worse
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I might be biased because Hippowdon is, like, one of my favourite pokemon but I feel it solidly deserves its spot in OU and should be well ahead in usage of crap like Donphan. It has multiple usages of being a sand setter (which can be nice in stall teams for additional chip damage), but can also be used as a simple mixed (you can make it solidly bulky in Sp.Def (refer to calcs against Aegis), or Def) wall which can set up rocks, has reliable recovery meaning it's very hard to wear down, Whirlwind (which IMO is the 4th move of choice) can stop setup sweepers and get additional SR damage if you force out something like Terrakion and possibly bring the opponent into another mon that is bad against the Hippo.

It's also really nice if your opponent is terrible and blindly solarbeams with YZard even when seeing a Hippo on your team.

Has anyone tried offensive Hippowdon and can give feedback about it? It seems pretty solid in theory, but I'm not sure how it is in practice.

Has anyone tried offensive Hippowdon and can give feedback about it? It seems pretty solid in theory, but I'm not sure how it is in practice.
Well, not sure how it performs this Generation, but last Generation I actually did use Choice Band Hippowdown for a while! It had the bulk to afford coming in and out and was a very solid Pokemon. I ran Earthquake / Ice Fang / Stone Edge / Slack Off if this post is any help to you haha.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
Well, not sure how it performs this Generation, but last Generation I actually did use Choice Band Hippowdown for a while! It had the bulk to afford coming in and out and was a very solid Pokemon. I ran Earthquake / Ice Fang / Stone Edge / Slack Off if this post is any help to you haha.
WHAT? Which one did you use? Hopefully not both

I was going to ask the same thing, but if roost on CB Talonflame is viable, that could sure as hell be. I would personally run another coverage move (Iron head sand force?), but slack off isn't crazy.
With T-Tar and sand force I could see it hitting really hard.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
No, Slack Off works because if I need to heal I come in, heal, switch out, it's not that silly.
Okay then. It's not as silly as Swords dance on a scarf set, which I once saw. But this isn't the thread for that :'(

And wow. I'm a bit surprised how the poll turned out. The analysis makes it seem like the Specially Defensive set is the best, but here the ratio is 5:11 (special v. physical). I really like the specially defensive set, because it can perform a very easy bait with Solar Beam, effectively locking it into a 60 BP move. But both are very good, as I've said.

Okay then. It's not as silly as Swords dance on a scarf set, which I once saw. But this isn't the thread for that :'(

And wow. I'm a bit surprised how the poll turned out. The analysis makes it seem like the Specially Defensive set is the best, but here the ratio is 5:11 (special v. physical). I really like the specially defensive set, because it can perform a very easy bait with Solar Beam, effectively locking it into a 60 BP move. But both are very good, as I've said.
Yeah, I know, it looks really weird. The other alternative there is Thunder Fang for Mega Gyarados:
252+ Atk Choice Band Hippowdon Thunder Fang vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gyarados: 196-232 (59 - 69.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
This prevents Gya from switching into it freely. Or if it feels confident and sets up.
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Hippowdon: 234-276 (65.3 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 HP / 252 Def is bulkier than 252 HP / 4 Def in case you were wondering.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
I always though hippowdon would work wonders as a support mon, but not a leadSomething like:

- Toxic
- Slack off
- Earthquake
- thunder fang

Invest some evs in HP and DEF and give attack a decent share. I haven't tried but it came to my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)