VGC HIPPOVISH! Dracovish + Hippowdon for VGC 2021

Its been a few months back into my abusive relationship with Pokemon, and VGC2021 has been kicking my ass. I can't get used to it; the higher power levels, the Ultra Beasts running rampant, Tapu Fini making all my fav dragons shrivel up and cry, its been a lot. I appreciate Metagross and Regirock seeing usage again with Dynamax/Weakness Policy, but I canNOT deal with the new horses, and whats the point of scarfing anything when Regieleki outspeeds regardless.
However, in times like these, something came to me. I scrambled to my desk, I scrolled down, and saw something that would change my perception on the game forever.

1608951934367.png

What this game needs is not the arrival of a new king, but the return of an old god.

Vish Vish Bish (Dracovish) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs

Looking at it again, I realise that Dracozolt is probably the better one just cuz it has higher attack and actual usable dragon STAB, but never mind I like Dracovish's chunky derpy face. Rock Slide and Psychic Fangs are honestly just window dressing, we're here to click one move and one move only: Cru- no its Fishious Rend, which BLASTS through most Pokemon's defenses and slams for big damage. Sand Rush fixes its one issue of mediocre speed, but then again its still no Excadrill. Crunch is nice here too for Dragapult, most 'pults stay in expecting the Rend to just roll off them, only to get shut up by a banded Dark type slap to the face, or more specifically a bite to the jugular.

not gonna lie its only after looking at this whole thing I wish I had built this around Dracozolt instead LMAO.

Lilliefish (Nihilego) @ Power Herb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Meteor Beam
- Sludge Bomb
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect

OK I was ragging on ultra beasts, but not gonna lie, out of all of them, Nihilego has been the most fun for me to use. Meteor Beam + Power Herb is a fun little combi that I never thought would be all that incredible considering its essentially a move you can't ever use again after first use, but getting one free SP. Atk boost while using a move like that is pretty nice. With strong special attack, the ability to snowball and decent coverage, it serves as a strong special attacking threat, something this team sorely needs.

Whether or not its the best Pokemon for the job is questionable though.

Hippowdon (F) @ Misty Seed
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Impish Nature
- Yawn
- Slack Off
- High Horsepower
- Protect

I've seen Tyranitar and Gigalith as the most popular Sand Setters, but no one talks as much about Hippowdon. Now aside from the fact that hippos are badass and are one of the greatest animals ever, Hippowdon plays a defensive/supportive tank. Yawn puts anything to sleep that isn't something that the team can deal with effectively, and a combination of Slack Off and Protect help keep it alive for long stretches of time. As a side note, being a ground type means it SMASHES Regieleki, which is a slightly worrisome matchup in some situations.

The main issues I have with it is its All My Friends Are Dead syndrome against Flyers, and being paired with the next Pokemon on the list also limits when and how it can use Yawn.

Fyish (Tapu Fini) @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 236 HP / 4 Def / 204 SpA / 12 SpD / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Protect

Tapu Fini is one of the top mons in the meta for its incredible bulk and strong coverage. Water/Fairy covers a decent amount of the scene, and Muddy Water's ability to drop accuracy is useful too. With Calm Mind it can set up gains and sweep, and with the addition of Moonblast, it can take out most anything.

To be completely honest, I slot it in on a whim suggestion from the VGC chat on Showdown, I have no clue whether or not I want to keep it around. Only real benefit it serves is as something that can survive against Glastrier TR, which this team doesn't really have a real dedicated answer to.

Chiffon (Urshifu) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unseen Fist
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch
- Wicked Blow
- Detect

On the opposite spectrum of Fini, we have a Pokemon with immediate power and only decent bulk, foisted up to the top of usage rankings due to its coverage and incredibly strong Wicked Blow. Urshifu SSS is here to smack most of the troublesome matchups this team might have, anything that Fishious Rend might be biting off too much it can chew. Things like Metagross, Glastrier and Stakataka can't eat a CC, and of course, any Dragapults can suck a punch from this one.

I didn't know how to feel about it at first, but its genuinely come in clutch in a few situations, especially paired up with the final member on this team:

Rachi (Cinderace) @ Life Orb
Ability: Libero
Gigantamax: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- High Jump Kick
- Iron Head
- Bounce

If we're talking about returning champions, none have had a bigger reign in the meta pre-2021 than this one. Now its being used a decent amount less, but its still nothing to sneeze at. Its ability to cover most of the bad matchups the team has is really important for the team to function, especially its strong matchup against the water-killing Rillaboom. Max flying can also help boost non-Dracovish team members speed to compete and smash through faster competition.

And thats the team! I'm still not completely sold on this obviously, but I hope most of you bigger brained individuals can help me patch weaknesses in this team comp. Even if you can't, wellll, thanks for reading anyways! This years been rough and if this lil team guide contributed to your day, it makes me happy to try making more.

Pokepaste is right here: https://pokepast.es/7d4b324aac7e3ad4

Have a Merry Christmas, happy holidays and have a great new years!

I would suggest replacing Calm Mind with Icy Wind on Tapu Fini. 204 SpA+Modest means you already hit decently well, and Icy Wind would allow you to continue to outspeed things with Cinderace, Nihelego, and possibly even Urshifu instead of solely relying on Sand Rush Dracovish. You could also entirely replace Tapu Fini with Tailwind Prankster Whimsicott or Electroweb Regieleki. Sand Rush is good, but weather is much easier to stop/change. Tailwind, Icy Wind, and Electroweb are much harder to stop, requiring Taunt, Wide Guard, Snatch, Mist, Wonder Guard, Lightning Rod, Abilities that prevent Stat Reduction, or Protect/Detect.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)