Here Comes The Boom!

This team I am about to show you has been my most successful Gen VI team so far, with a stellar record of 50-12. It has been used in both the OU Beta ladder and Pokebank OU ladder and has been able to compete. This team is designed for OU Beta and as always, there probably are some flaws. Without further adieu, here is the process.

Well, first off, I needed to bring the boom. So the most obvious selection was Exploud. So I began to build a team around the walking explosion.

I wanted to bring more boom and that's what Noivern does. Also, having a flying type take Fighting moves directed towards Exploud is a definite plus.

As always, since I'm carrying a Dragon Pokemon, I needed a Steel Pokemon. I choose MegaScizor because who doesn't like guys with chainsaws for arms? The bulk, the typing, the utility, the awesomeness, everything. He keeps those pesky Dragons and Fairies in check.

Since this team revolves around Exploud, having something else take Fighting attacks is a major plus. Gengar is a monster this time around with Ghost attacks being resisted by only Normal types. Levitate also gives my team another ground immune Pokemon. I mean seriously, who doesn't love Gengar?

I can't describe why I picked Rotom-W outside of Rotom-W being great for my team. He's the ultimate pivot, is immune to Earthquake, provides offensive attacks my team very badly needs, etc. He just fits on every team I make so at this point, I feel like saying "Because it's Rotom-W".

I needed something to clear Stealth Rocks and other hazards away from this team and I was like, "you know, Avalugg's a badass, why not use him?". So I put him here and started to win with this wonderful team. But after a few battles, I realized something was off about the team So I needed to make a few changes.

Avalugg, while he was good at spinning hazards away, just wasn't enough of a threat. I replaced him with the beast that is Excadrill. Excadrill's offensive power makes him that much better for the team. His typing doesn't add any weaknesses that my team had with Avalugg except for Water (which my team already has 2 resists for). He has done way better as the spinner than Avalugg ever did.

Noivern wasn't bringing the boom like I had hoped. Dragonite fits much better as I did not have a dedicated Physical sweeper. Dragonite is quite a bit bulkier and is a greater immediate threat. He has way more synergy with Exploud than Noivern did.

That's the team, now it's time to show you what the boom is really about:

@

Scrappy / Modest
252 HP / 252 SpA / 6 Spe
Boomburst
Fire Blast
Focus Blast
Ice Beam

I bring the boom, he brings the shakalaka. After hearing about Boomburst, I knew I had to run something with this move. Scrappy Exploud is obviously the best choice. Nothing is safe from him. Choice Specs Boomburst deals a crapton of damage to anything that doesn't resist it, pretty much OHKOing everything. Yes he's the weak-point of this team but this is who I wanted to build my team around and he's not as worthless as one might think. Because of his Boomburst, everything that isn't Tyranitar or Blissey risks getting 2HKO'd. I run max HP for bulk and has come up clutch many, many times. Run the speed EVs because I shall always beat other boomers who forget to do so. I used to run Overheat over Fire Blast because of Power and Accuracy but after the -2, it's become more apparent that Fire Blast is better. Other moves are quite obvious. Yes, he is basically click Boomburst and win and it's glorious. Too much fun to use.

@

Multiscale / Adamant
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 HP
Outrage
Earthquake
Fire Punch
Dragon Dance

As I said before, this used to be Noivern. Dragonite is the only Physical sweeper on the team, which is the big reason why I replaced Noivern with him. His item also used to be Weakness Policy but due to the make-out of my team, opponents were reluctant to throw Ice Beam at him so I have opted for Lum Berry as it's been quite beneficial for his sweeping attempts.

@

Technician / Adamant
252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 SpD
Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
U-Turn
Pursuit

Here's the deal with MegaScizor; a few of my Pokefriends and I are trying out best to make an optimal MegaScizor. Trying really hard to do so. So far, this set seems to make the most out of MegaScizor. He definitely runs a SD set better than regular Scizor does due to his increased bulk. I might change the EVs around to make his bulk optimal but I am still tinkering with it. But anywho, MegaScizor is here for utility. He keeps momentum, revenge kills, and pursuit traps threats that my team faces. Swords Dance gives him some extra oomph. His revenge killing capabilities is key here as he's the only true revenge killer I have on this team.

@

Levitate / Timid
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 6 Def
Substitute
Disable
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast

Oh my dear Sub Disable Gengar, what would I do without you. You straight up murk people with all your glory. Ruining set-ups, sweeps, everything. You just don't care what the opposing Pokemon does, you cold hearted killer. Your typing compliments everything this team needs while providing the ridiculous Ghost STAB that is only stopped by the rare Normal types. Set up your Substitute and watch the opponents fear your mere existence as you Disable their only way to hurt you. You fear nothing and gaze into the souls of those who fear you.

@

Levitate / Modest
232 HP / 56 SpA / 220 Spe
Volt Switch
Hydro Pump
Will-O-Wisp
Hidden Power (Ice)

Rotom-W is way too useful this generation. Every team I have made or one of my PokeFriends make has included one, but not because we want to, but because he fits on every freaking team so well. Water / Electric STAB is way too useful to pass up, he's got the bulk in the right places, a trollish speed stat, etc. I might replace Hidden Power (Ice) with Shadow Ball as I rarely click on it and it usually doesn't do enough damage to the Pokemon that it would hit and because Ghost moves are really freaking good this time around. Rotom-W is my other pivot, completing the VoltTurn core of the century with MegaScizor. Will-O-Wisp is so god damn useful as well, I'd probably be lost without it. He keeps the teams balance and allows it to function. He is also my most common lead.

@

Mold Breaker / Adamant
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 HP
Swords Dance
Rapid Spin
Earthquake
Rock Slide

Excadrill is the best spinner this generation, bar none. His attack is so high he doesn't give a front door about having Life Orb or not. Swords Dance is there for the extra power and you have his obvious 2 move coverage. As I stated before, Avalugg was in this position and while Avalugg did a great job at removing hazards, Excadrill provides the offensive threat that Avalugg lacked. Mold Breaker is there so that Gengar has to think twice before switching in. Air Balloon cause it's the best item for this adorable.....metal mole? I don't know what it is but doesn't matter; his awesome typing an utility is here to stay.

This team brings the boom for sure and can deal with almost every threat in the OU Beta ladder. This team has had trouble with MegaVenasuar, MegaLucario, and to an extent, MegaKangaskhan. I hope you all find out how to bring the boom as well.

Last edited:
Really like you're team. Boomburst is amazing :P. Tried it on showdown and i've had some good success with it. The only things i see that are weird are why not stealth rocks on excadrill and why leftovers instead of black sludge on gengar?

This is for prebank OU so Excadrill cannot get stealth rock, I do plan on giving it to him once December comes around.

Black Sludge and Leftovers are basically the same thing, doesn't make a difference and if Leftovers gets tricked it can't be used against me, unlike Black Sludge

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)