Help With More Lenient Tournament Rules

At my local school, they are having a 4th gen tournament with the winner reseaving a copy of either Pokemon Black or Pokemon White. After looking at the rules, I noticed they weren't playing by the standard OU rule set.

-Each battle will be a singles battle with six Pokemon on each side

-Uber Pokemon are banned

These include – Mewtwo
- Mew
- Wobbuffet
- Lugia
- Ho-oh
- Wynaut
- Salamence
- Latias
- Latios
- Kyogre
- Groudon
- Rayquaza
- Deoxys
- Garchomp
- Dialga
- Palkia
- Giratina
- Manaphy
- Darkrai
- Shaymin
- Arceus
-OHKO Clause

-Sleep Clause

-For more information about the above clauses go to http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/intro_comp_pokemon#clause

-All battles will be fought over Pokemon Battle Revolution for Wii

-All pokemon over level 50 will have their level adjusted to level 50

-Only Pearl, Diamond, Platinum, Heartgold and Soulsilver versions for the Nintendo DS can be used

-If all Pokemon faint due to Explosion or Selfdestruct, the user loses

-Perish Song and Destiny Bond will fail if used by a team's final Pokemon

-A disconnect will count as a loss
And that's it. No other clauses like Ivasion or Freezing or even Species! I asked the head of the tournament, and he responded stating that the matches would be "more interesting" with less rules to bound the players.

Now, as ask you much wiser then me how I could use this lack of solid rules to my advantage. I know I could easily spam Double Team like crazy, but I was looking for more creative ways to break the norm (seeing I'm sure with everyone else playing, Double Team will be all around). I'm not formiliar with what movesets are even banned from the normal OU rules, I couldn't seem to any sort of list. Also, any threats you can think of or ways of dealing with them would be nice, seeing I don't know what other people could do with these lack of rules.

I know the basics of creating a team, what weaknesses to look out for, but I'm still just learning by the way. Sorry for any "noob-ish" questions in advance.

Thank you for reading this post, and I hope to get some great ideas with what to do with all this freedom.

It's a fourth-gen tournament, so no Inconsistent.

But Rain Dance might be nice.

Will Rain Dance + Thunder and Hail + Blizzard always hit, even after a couple Double Teams?

If its your local school, is anyone actually competitve enough to use Double Team effectively. (Yes you do need some form of skill to pass of Double Team)
Anyway because its your school and you would probably know a lot of people there, then I suggest you use whatever you can to annoy the hell out of them. Rain Kingdra, FlinchJirachi, FlichTogekiss, Hail with Snow Cloak+Choice Band+Ninjask Baton Pass Double Team/Speed+Earthquake+Mamoswine = EPIC PWNAGE
;)
Good luck

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I'd pack Pokemon that know perfect accuracy moves like Aura Sphere and Aerial Ace, just to be safe.

I had one question, what move sets are banned from regular play? I couldn't seem to find a list or page of any kind on the web.

Oh, I thought some Pokemon like Misdreavus had some movesets that they deemed too cheap. I know in certian RMTs, people state different moves because one has become illegal to have on a Pokemon.

Tentacruel @ Leftovers *** Morpheus
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Calm nature (+SpD, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Electric] / Knock Off

The last part of my "secondary" damage, Toxic Spikes. Rapid Spin + Knock Off is illegal, so I decided on Rapid Spin here. Toxic Spikes means Restless Dusknoir and Spiritomb can't stop me, and Gengar is too frail to keep coming in (and can't OHKO Tentacruel, anyway). Hidden Power Electric helps vs. Empoleon, Starmie, enemy Tentacruel, and Gyarados, mostly, all of which are more common foes for Tentacruel than Garchomp, Dragonite, Celebi, or Salamence.

Now that Tentacruel can use Knock Off and Rapid Spin, Knock Off is definitely an excellent choice. HP Electric would mostly be for keeping enemy Tentacruel at bay and as a back-up against Ice Fang / Bite Gyarados, while Knock Off screws over everyone.
Why is that banned?

Also, isn't there a way to abuse Perish Song so much it is illegal, or am I going crazy?

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I think it has to do with egg moves, Vomer. Illegal egg move combinations and all that.

Moves that are guaranteed to hit, are likely a very good idea. You should probably have a No Guard Machamp for the sheer fact that he will hit no matter how many double teams have been used. Rain Dance + Swift Swim + Thunder is pretty smart as well.

If they ban Shaymin, then it isn't an OU tourney.
Yeah, I've noticed they don't real know what's going on. Pretty sad seeing the majority of the people running it are over 20.

And yes, a Machamp will be a much needed member with all the Double Teaming.

A Rain team should work, but I was personally thinking Hail over Rain, because it would be able to go on forever, instead of having to start Rain Dance all over again every 5 or 7 turns. With Snow Cloak, I could spam evasion even higher then everyone else. Plus, Blizzard would work just like Thunder in Hail.

Any other thoughts on how to go about this Tournament?

Ask Zarator; he won the Just Clause tournament.

His team consisted of:
  • Lead Crobat as it can set up Rain Dance while preventing Double Team spamming with Taunt.
  • 2 Rain Support Bronzong as they can take hits and set up Rain Dance, while one of them also sets up SR
  • 3 Swift Swim Kingdra as they have extremely high sweeping potential in the rain. One is special, one mixed and one physical which leaves you walled by nothing (bar Defensive Empoleon)

His team consisted of:
  • Lead Crobat as it can set up Rain Dance while preventing Double Team spamming with Taunt.
  • 2 Rain Support Bronzong as they can take hits and set up Rain Dance, while one of them also sets up SR
  • 3 Swift Swim Kingdra as they have extremely high sweeping potential in the rain. One is special, one mixed and one physical which leaves you walled by nothing (bar Defensive Empoleon)
Holy...

You know what, that sounds kind of fun. I never even thought of using multiples of the same Pokemon.

His team consisted of:
I will now cry in the corner. Holy freeholy is that scary.

As far as I'm concerned, you can have fun with this tournament. If your only facing kids from your school, you can forget about facing fully EVd Pokemon completely. Almost any team will suffice. Just be creative in whatever you do. As for the Crobat x1, Bronzong x2 , and Kingdra x3 format. It would be easy to build, but how much fun is it to create a team that is not your own?

One last thing, if it wouldn't be too much to ask, post the results as to where you placed.

As far as I'm concerned, you can have fun with this tournament. If your only facing kids from your school, you can forget about facing fully EVd Pokemon completely. Almost any team will suffice. Just be creative in whatever you do. As for the Crobat x1, Bronzong x2 , and Kingdra x3 format. It would be easy to build, but how much fun is it to create a team that is not your own?

One last thing, if it wouldn't be too much to ask, post the results as to where you placed.
Well, they aren't quiet kids. They are the "Assosiation of Wargamers" club at my university. All I really know about them is that they are super into video games. I have no idea what I'm getting into, as these guys can be anything from people who have no idea who an EV is, to people running Paraflinch Togikiss. I really am going into a war field against an unknown enemy.

Plus, prize is a new copy of Black or White. I second copy would be nice to own.

I know I could use my "bros," but really, in the end isn't it all about winning?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)