SS OU Help me improve my team (Wish Clefable Balance)

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpD / 252 HP
Bold Nature
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
The only rocker, check to those pesky electric types, and check to Dracovish as well. Toxic is very useful to cripple incoming switch ins. I may use it as lead to bait Ferrothorn and Excadrill checks, but it's better to keep it later in the game. I don't know if i should use Knock Off or Protect instead of Scald, since the first provides insane support, and the latter scouts movesests and posible choice items. And lastly, i find Seismitoad to be a bit useless if Zeraora or Dracovish aren't in the game, and even so, it gets worn down real quick before it cam check those, specially Zeraora, I've learned to play around it, but it can snowball into 6-0 my team.

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
Standard set for Excadrill. Good check to Clefable, late game cleaner, and hazard removal, it also checks some fire types, like Rotom Heat and Cinderace (via switch). Swords Dance is mainly for Aegislash, since it can OHKO any variant in shield form. I once ran a Focus Sash lead, but i really needed Rapid Spin for the long run, as well to make sweeps. Naturally struggles against Flying types that aren't weak to it's STAB moves, but I don't have a lot of options for flying types in the team.

Dragapult @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute
- Dragon Darts
Some kind of revenge killer set alongside Dragon Darts, Sucker Punch and Dragapult overall decent speed. I've been having trouble in deciding to use Leftovers or Life Orb, since the power drop is severely noticeable, specially regarding to Sucker Punch, but Leftovers eases it's role as a revenge killer in the early game. I tried a bait set with Fire Blast to catch Corviknight off guard, but it didn't work out that well. I'm thinking off swapping Substitute for something else, like Psychic Fangs, or even Phantom Force. It's just that Substitute is sometimes useful, and sometimes a waste of a slot, usually depending on the matchup against some teams (mainly against HO or balnace), or how far in the game. In general, Dragon Dance has been really useful in catching things off guard, but only if the fairy and steel mons are gone, really good in the late game, but bad on the early game.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk /252 Def
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave
My main check to the dangerous Seismitoad, and a general annoyer. Often comes as a bait set, since i don't carry any form of hazards on it. Rocky Helmet eases the matchup against physical threats, specially Zeraora and Bisharp. Im thinking on swapping Thunder Wave with something more useful, since i found that 90% of the games i played I've never used it, but i can't decide between Curse, Iron Head or Body Press. Iron Head is for Clefable, Curse is for utility, and Body Press is for opposing steel types and incoming Bisharp

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Teleport
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
Basically the glue of this team. It's a whish passer and a special sponge. Provides overall support on the team and longevity to my other defensive mons. Clefable often becomes overwhelmed by other attackers, since is reliant on Wish to heal, and the passive recovery provided by the Leftovers. It's also REALLY passive, though. Magic Guard + Life Orb were useful against Ferrothorn, Clefable's worst enemy, but i think the utility provided by Wish + Teleport is way better, it helps sustain basically the whole team.

Rotom-Heat @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
Rotom serves it's role as a decent pivot, and a hazard removal. One of the best checks to Ferrothorn and Corviknight, though i often find if dying beforehand, so that's an issue. Since I'm not using Nasty Plot, Rotom struggles a lot with Clefable, so I'm always forced to switch out, basically granting a free wish. Burning an opposing Zeraora, or a Melmetal is crucial, but Defog is always appreciated, since this team doesn't uses many hazards, so I can't decide which of those i should swap out.

This team carried me from 1200 to 1350 ish, but now I'm unable to surpass that mark

My main problem is Corviknight, since the only check is Rotom, and it molds over my team if that thing is not alive. Dracovish is also really annoying if Seismitoad isn't with good health, and i find myself struggling with Excadrill. I thought about using a scarfed version of Rotom, but I can't decide between the hazard removal, or the utility provided by the scarf. I actually tried that set on the lower ladder, and it helped out with Dracovish, and stall via trick, but the boots are soooo useful, and Defog as well..
Destroy this team, reveal it's fatal flaws, make it bite the dust, but please help me improve it >~<
Thanks ^-^

Last edited:
I would not use drill and rocky helmet ferro drill is best use on play style such as sand and HO. Also Your Team lack a solid revenge kill options and a ghost resist. Also Rocky helmet is not a great set you need leftover longevity i would also make rotom CM with Discharge to force para on clef with Pain split to help with Zera but your biggest prob are def ghost type like gengar and pult because the just get to click Shadow ball against you. https://pokepast.es/a34b5c3ea0020014 here my version of your team hope you enjoy

What's up, this is a decent team but I think it's got a few shortcomings and issues overall that could be improved upon.

Major Changes

Seismitoad → Hippowdon

For the kind of team you've layed out, I think Hippowdon is the perfect fit. Considering you don't necessarily need Seismitoad as you've got Ferrothorn, I don't think you'll miss out on that much. Hippowdon is really useful because it improves your overall matchup against Excadrill and Terrakion, which can quite easily overwhelm you with Seismitoad. Beyond that, it enables Sand Rush Excadrill, which is a formidable form of natural Speed control on these kinds of teams as it can greatly ease the matchup against Pokemon like Zeraora and Gengar.

To start things off, I'd like to comment on your Dragapult set and why it's quite flawed. First of all, Dragon Dance Dragapult hardly fits on teams outside of hyper offensive teams; it simply doesn't capitalize off the options presented on other kinds of teams quite as well as other sets do. Beyond that, the specific Dragapult set that you are using is completely walled by a multitude of prevalent Pokemon, including Clefable, Ferrothorn, and Corviknight among many others. Ultimately, that means that this set isn't really viable.

Anyways, I don't think Dragapult adequately adresses some of the issues with this team, the most notable issue is that it lacks a Ghost-resistant Pokemon, which is really important as it provides more flexibility around Ghost-types like Hex Dragapult and Choice Specs Aegislash, which you may struggle with otherwise. I'd like to suggest running Hydreigon instead, as it synergizes with Excadrill very nicely offensively, and also provides you with that Ghost-resistant Pokemon. Considering some of the following changes, Roost Hydreigon has worked out the best for me, as it provides reliability and this team is very good at wearing down Kommo-o quickly and pressuring Mandibuzz, so there's not much need for Draco Meteor.

Minor Changes

As mentioned previously, Sand Rush Excadrill synergizes much better with the Hippowdon change because it provides natural Speed control which is very useful for Zeraora and Gengar.

Without Melmetal in the tier, I'd definitely recommend Leftovers, as they allow you to narrowly avoid being 2HKOed by Choice Band Dracovish. Beyond that, I'd like to suggest that you run Spikes instead of Thunder Wave, as Spikes can make switching into Excadrill, Hydreigon, and Rotom-H much more punishing for checks like Kommo-o and Seismitoad. In my opinion, Body Press is preferable to Power Whip, too. It allows Ferrothorn to adequately pressure Hydreigon, Excadrill, Biosharp, as well as opposing Ferrothorn. Meanwhile, Power Whip doesn't really do a lot for you beyond immediately pressuring Seismitoad, which isn't punishing you super heavily otherwise and generally doesn't want to engage anyways.

This isn't very significant, but I'd like to suggest running 7 Speed IVs to get the slowest possible Teleport against other Clefable while still outspeeding Hippowdon.

I don't really see the need for Defog Rotom-H. With a Rapid Spin Excadrill, the compression simply isn't important and I think your team benefits from running Toxic way more, as it makes wearing Pokemon like Kommo-o and Seismitoad way easier. Overall there's not really a need for Will-O-Wisp either, as you're totally fine against Bisharp. Nasty Plot's a better option overall because it aids greatly in softening teams for Hydreigon and Excadrill. This is also more of a preference thing, but I'd suggest dropping Volt Switch for Discharge because it's way more reliable against Pokemon like Togekiss.

:sm/hippowdon::sm/excadrill::sm/hydreigon::sm/ferrothorn::sm/clefable::sm/rotom-heat:
Importable

What's up, this is a decent team but I think it's got a few shortcomings and issues overall that could be improved upon.

Major Changes

Seismitoad → Hippowdon

For the kind of team you've layed out, I think Hippowdon is the perfect fit. Considering you don't necessarily need Seismitoad as you've got Ferrothorn, I don't think you'll miss out on that much. Hippowdon is really useful because it improves your overall matchup against Excadrill and Terrakion, which can quite easily overwhelm you with Seismitoad. Beyond that, it enables Sand Rush Excadrill, which is a formidable form of natural Speed control on these kinds of teams as it can greatly ease the matchup against Pokemon like Zeraora and Gengar.

To start things off, I'd like to comment on your Dragapult set and why it's quite flawed. First of all, Dragon Dance Dragapult hardly fits on teams outside of hyper offensive teams; it simply doesn't capitalize off the options presented on other kinds of teams quite as well as other sets do. Beyond that, the specific Dragapult set that you are using is completely walled by a multitude of prevalent Pokemon, including Clefable, Ferrothorn, and Corviknight among many others. Ultimately, that means that this set isn't really viable.

Anyways, I don't think Dragapult adequately adresses some of the issues with this team, the most notable issue is that it lacks a Ghost-resistant Pokemon, which is really important as it provides more flexibility around Ghost-types like Hex Dragapult and Choice Specs Aegislash, which you may struggle with otherwise. I'd like to suggest running Hydreigon instead, as it synergizes with Excadrill very nicely offensively, and also provides you with that Ghost-resistant Pokemon. Considering some of the following changes, Roost Hydreigon has worked out the best for me, as it provides reliability and this team is very good at wearing down Kommo-o quickly and pressuring Mandibuzz, so there's not much need for Draco Meteor.

Minor Changes

As mentioned previously, Sand Rush Excadrill synergizes much better with the Hippowdon change because it provides natural Speed control which is very useful for Zeraora and Gengar.

Without Melmetal in the tier, I'd definitely recommend Leftovers, as they allow you to narrowly avoid being 2HKOed by Choice Band Dracovish. Beyond that, I'd like to suggest that you run Spikes instead of Thunder Wave, as Spikes can make switching into Excadrill, Hydreigon, and Rotom-H much more punishing for checks like Kommo-o and Seismitoad. In my opinion, Body Press is preferable to Power Whip, too. It allows Ferrothorn to adequately pressure Hydreigon, Excadrill, Biosharp, as well as opposing Ferrothorn. Meanwhile, Power Whip doesn't really do a lot for you beyond immediately pressuring Seismitoad, which isn't punishing you super heavily otherwise and generally doesn't want to engage anyways.

This isn't very significant, but I'd like to suggest running 7 Speed IVs to get the slowest possible Teleport against other Clefable while still outspeeding Hippowdon.

I don't really see the need for Defog Rotom-H. With a Rapid Spin Excadrill, the compression simply isn't important and I think your team benefits from running Toxic way more, as it makes wearing Pokemon like Kommo-o and Seismitoad way easier. Overall there's not really a need for Will-O-Wisp either, as you're totally fine against Bisharp. Nasty Plot's a better option overall because it aids greatly in softening teams for Hydreigon and Excadrill. This is also more of a preference thing, but I'd suggest dropping Volt Switch for Discharge because it's way more reliable against Pokemon like Togekiss.

:sm/hippowdon::sm/excadrill::sm/hydreigon::sm/ferrothorn::sm/clefable::sm/rotom-heat:
Importable

I agree with pretty much all the changes, but something is bugging me... Isn't this team still weak against Dracovish? I know Ferrothorn forces it out, but it's more like a passive check, I don't have any way to actively counter it, since Hydreigon gets outsped anyway with scarfed Dracovish, and even if a banded variant comes in, Hydreigon doesn't have any dragon moves to counter it? How should i play around Draco with this team (and the other one made by Calamity Greed?

Major Changes

Seismitoad → Hippowdon

Minor Changes

Importable
Wouldn't Conk absolutely destroy this team?

Wouldn't Conk absolutely destroy this team?
252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 170-201 (40.4 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery hippo can out stall conk be forcing burn and sand damage and keeping up pressure with eq

252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 170-201 (40.4 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery hippo can out stall conk be forcing burn and sand damage and keeping up pressure with eq
And if Conkeldurr doesn't carry Poison Jab, it can 2HKO it with Moonblast

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?
I just want to mention that Close Combat over Drain Punch is often run on Conk, especially with how common/reliable Wish passing from Clef is. Here's the calc for CC vs Hippo:

252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 219-258 (52.1 - 61.4%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

However, there really aren't any safe switch-ins against Conk, except for Galarian Weezing, and although I love that mon, it's not very viable beyond just switching into Conk and Zeraora.

SBD 1301 if you're really worried about Conk, you could run 136 Speed EVs on Clef to outrun it, but I wouldn't recommend that because Clef is your main Special Wall and diminishing its SpDef makes you much weaker to things like Kyurem. You could also try running a ghost like Gengar or Dragapult over Hydreigon and then maybe something like Mandibuzz over Rotom-Heat, but switching into ghosts against Conk is usually too risky to be worth it. Gengar and Pult do a better job of revenge killing Conk than Hydreigon though, since they don't have to fear Mach Punch, but Rotom-Heat can usually threaten out Conk anyway, especially if it's coming off of a CC SpDef drop and/or Rocky Helmet damage.
Overall though, I think that the team that Jordy suggested is solid. Conk is just really scary and difficult to play around...unless you join the likes of us Galarian Weezing users. In all seriousness though, Galarian Weezing is pretty much worse than Rotom-Heat in every other way besides being able to switch into Conk, so he's usually not worth using. Still love him though lol

Last edited:
I just want to mention that Close Combat over Drain Punch is commonly run on Conk, especially with how common/reliable Wish passing from Clef is. Here's the calc for CC vs Hippo:

252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 219-258 (52.1 - 61.4%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

However, there really aren't any safe switch-ins against Conk, except for Galarian Weezing, and although I love that mon, it's not very viable beyond just switching into Conk and Zeraora.

SBD 1301 if you're really worried about Conk, you could run 136 Speed EVs in Clef to outrun it, but I wouldn't recommend that because Clef is your main Special Wall and diminishing its SpDef makes you much weaker to things like Kyurem. You could also try running a ghost like Gengar or Dragapult over Hydreigon and then maybe something like Mandibuzz over Rotom-Heat, but switching into ghosts against Conk is usually too risky to be worth it. Gengar and Pult do a better job of revenge killing Conk than Hydreigon though, since they don't have to fear Mach Punch, but Rotom-Heat can usually threaten out Conk anyway, especially if it's coming off of a CC SpDef drop and/or Rocky Helmet damage.
Overall though, I think that the team that Jordy suggested is solid. Conk is just really scary and difficult to play around.
I was worried about Conk after those calculations. I'm thinking of swapping the Hydreigon from Jordy's team with a Dragapult, since it helped check weakened Conkeldurr decently, but, again, it leaves me without a ghost resist... I might try to use Mandibuzz, too
I'm gonna try both Calamity Greed and Jordy's teams, with the aforementioned adjustments, thanks, for like, the 128282th time

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?
I was worried about Conk after those calculations. I'm thinking of swapping the Hydreigon from Jordy's team with a Dragapult, since it helped check weakened Conkeldurr decently, but, again, it leaves me without a ghost resist... I might try to use Mandibuzz, too
I'm gonna try both Calamity Greed and Jordy's teams, with the aforementioned adjustments, thanks, for like, the 128282th time
If you are going to swap the Hydreigon for a ghost on Jody's suggested team, I would recommend using this Dragapult set:
Dragapult @ Spell Tag
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn

As you said, without Hydreigon, you don't have a ghost resist. If you do replace Hydreigon with Dragapult, I think you do probably want to replace Rotom-Heat with Mandibuzz as well. Mandibuzz's set can vary a lot. You're probably always going to want Roost, U-turn, and either Foul Play or Knock Off. I prefer Foul Play because it helps against things like Excadrill and other setup mons, but Knock is really good too. Most people run Defog on Mandibuzz but you probably could go without it with Excadrill for spinning. Defog is nice though if you're afraid of Screens HO. I personally like running Taunt on Mandibuzz a lot to shut down things like Pex, Ferro, and Toad. Toxic is also nice against things like Hippo, Toad, and Kommo-o. You could also run Knock Off and Foul Play if you really wanted. Personally, I would go with this Mandibuzz set, but it's up to you:
Mandibuzz @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpD / 96 Spe
Careful Nature
- Foul Play/Knock Off
- Roost
- U-turn
- Taunt/Toxic

Again though, replacing Hydreigon and Rotom-Heat with Dragapult and Mandibuzz may make you a little more solid against Conk (although that's not guaranteed either because Pult is far from a safe switch into Conk and Mandibuzz can't really threaten Conk), but it does make you more weak in other areas as well. Specifically, you'll end up weaker to very common threats like Clef, Corviknight, Zeraora, and Kyurem. That's why overall I believe that the team Jordy suggested is about as good as you're going to get. Sure you're weak to Conk, but Rotom-Heat can threaten it out and pretty much every team is weak to Conk in some capacity. You can't have an answer for everything.

Last edited:
If you are going to swap the Hydreigon for a ghost on Jody's suggested team, I would recommend using this Dragapult set:
Dragapult @ Spell Tag
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn

Without Hydreigon though, you don't have a ghost resist. If you do replace Hydreigon with Dragapult, I think you may want to replace Rotom-Heat with Mandibuzz as well. Mandibuzz's set can vary a lot. You're probably always going to want Roost, U-turn, and either Foul Play or Knock Off. I prefer Foul Play because it helps against things like Excadrill and other setup mons, but Knock is really good too. Most people run Defog on Mandibuzz but you probably could go without it with Excadrill for spinning. Defog is nice though if you're afraid of Screens HO. I personally like running Taunt on Mandibuzz a lot to shut down things like Pex, Ferro, and Toad. Toxic is also nice against things like Hippo, Toad, and Kommo-o. You could also run Knock Off and Foul Play if you really wanted. Personally, I would go with this Mandibuzz set, but it's up to you:
Mandibuzz @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpD / 96 Spe
Careful Nature
- Foul Play/Knock Off
- Roost
- U-turn
- Taunt/Toxic

Again though, replacing Hydreigon and Rotom-Heat with Dragapult and Mandibuzz may make you a little more solid against Conk (although that's not guaranteed either because Pult is far from a safe switch into Conk and Mandibuzz can't really threaten Conk either), but it does make you more weak in other areas as well. Specifically, you'll end up weaker to very common threats like Clef, Zeraora, and Kyurem. That's why overall I believe that the team Jordy suggested is about as good as you're going to get. Sure you're weak to Conk, but Rotom-Heat can threaten it out and pretty much every team is weak to Conk in some capacity. You can't have an answer for everything.
But then, if i get rid of Rotom, then i won't have any consistent answers to Ferrothorn, unless i run Fire Blast instead of U Turn, or something

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?
But then, if i get rid of Rotom, then i won't have any consistent answers to Ferrothorn, unless i run Fire Blast instead of U Turn, or something
You could also run Gengar with Nasty Plot, Shadow Ball, Sludge Wave, and Focus Blast over Dragapult to threaten Ferro. That set might actually fit better than Pult because it gives you more of a breaker and a threat to Clef. However, giving up Rotom-Heat makes you much weaker to things like LO Grass Knot Zeraoara and Corviknight. The point is that you can’t have an answer for everything, and especially not Conk. Again, the only true answer to Conk that I know of is Galarian Weezing, but using that beautiful mon opens you up to plenty of other weaknesses as well.

Ok! I don't actually know if this is like, orthodox or something, but I'll post the adjustments later. Do i have to do it on a different comment (in this same post)or i just put the changes by editing of my previous comment? (plz help)

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?
Ok! I don't actually know if this is like, orthodox or something, but I'll post the adjustments later. Do i have to do it on a different comment (in this same post)or i just put the changes by editing of my previous comment? (plz help)
Uh, I don't know all of the rules so I apologize if this is incorrect, but I think you can just add an edit to your post and list whatever you've changed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)