Help me improve my Mono-Bug Team!

Here's my team on Marriland Teambuilder: http://www.marriland.com/tools/team-builder#1269|1121|1210|1289|857|864|

Ook, so for my first ever competetive team, I decided to go with a Mono-Bug Team. Maybe not the best for a n00b, but Bugs just have a very certain attraction to them, and it helped me narrow down my choices from the vast pool of Pokémon. Now on to the team!

My team is really quite simple. Fast and Strong, quite dependent on entry hazards and not especially good at the defensive, but if I play my cards right it usually yields great success!

Accelgor Focus sash | Sticky Hold
Hasty | 252 S.Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Bug Buzz / Focus Blast / Spikes / Yawn

Accelgor functions mainly as a suicide lead to lay as many layers of Spikes as possible before fainting.
Though I've dicvored that he's quite useful for other purposes as well thanks to his great speed. I try to save him from getting taken out if possible so that he can be used to revengekill speedy Pokémon, since his speed is fairly unmatched even if the opponenet is boosted. Yawn is great for allowing for a free switch in ( Usually to Forretres) or for just forcing the opponent to switch out.

Forretress Leftovers | Sturdy
Careful | 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 Df
Stealth Rock / Rapid Spin / Toxic Spikes / Volt Switch

Nothing really special here. Rapid Spin is a must since Stealth Rock destroys my team. Toxic Spikes are incredibly useful, and Volt Switch to maintain momentum. I don't usually open with Forretres since I'm really dependet on rapid spin, and can't afford him being taken out.

Crustle Leftovers | Sturdy
Adamant |252Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Df
Shelll Smash / X-scissor / Stone Edge / Earthquake

This guy is a beast and I love really really like this Pokémon. Sturdy usually guarantees at least one Shell Smash, and unless I'm facing really bulky Pokémon, it's usually enough to outspeed and sweep half of the opponents team. Stone Edge is really good at Destroying almost anything, and it covers my weakness to fire and flying. This Pokémon is quite hard to get into play though, since any entry hazards will make sturdy useless, and with his terrible speed he won't be able to outlive anything without shell smash. This set is also really dependant on outspeeding the opponent, so he's easy to revengekill with a priority move. Still, I've had really great success with Pokémon.

Yanmega Leftovers | Speed Boost
Modest | 252 S.Atk /104 Df / 152 Spe
Protect / Air slash / Bug Buzz / Giga Drain

Good sweeper! Covers Fighting and Ground Types. One speed boost is usually enough, otherwise I quickly become reliant on luck that protect will work twice. Giga Drain is my only real coverage against water-types, plus it heals the pokemon a little. He's usually capable of taking a hit unless it's super effective, and with stalling every other move (if possible) with protect, I can sometimes replenish enough health with leftovers to take another hit.

Volcarona @Chesto berry | Flame Body
Modest | 236 S.Atk / 160 HP / 106 Spe
Quiver Dance / Fire Blast / Psychic / Rest

Hybrid Volcarona, both bulky and hard hitting. With rest I can afford to do a few quiver dances, and it also helps heal status problems. I put psychic on there because I was having a hard time against Tentacruel, since he could resist all my pokémon. Don't know if it has really helped that much, the ideal is to switch out Volcarona against water types.

Scizor Focus sash | Technician
Adamant | 252 HP / 252Atk / EVs
Bullet Punch / X-scissor /U-turn / Superpower

Honestly, I don't like this scizor at all. I thought that I needed a pokemon that could take hits so that I could witch him in, but unlike forretres also deal some damage. I skipped choice items because I thought them to be too limiting. I wanted to be able to use U-turn whenever I wanted. Also, U-turn does inlfict a considerable amount of damage. Problem is though, he lacks too much speed, which makes him really worthless. Focus sash is there to make sure he's able to at least use superpower once against heatran, but even that don't work.
All in all, I think this scizor needs to be replaced with a different bulky hard-hitter or simply be improved.

Problems:

Well, first of all, Heatran seems to be used in just about every other OU team, wich is really frustrating. It's really hard for my team to counter Heatran. My only counters are Scizor and Accelgor, with the first being too slow and the latter not being powerful enough. I need a way to counter Heatran!

My team is also very dependent on Crustle to take out Fire-types, but I find him hard to set up up mid-game so I usually use him early on which leads to him being dead when the fires start plummeling through my team later on in the match.

Bulky Pokemon that can heal themselves are really really hard to take out. The worst of the worst is Milotic, because I have no moves that can really hit water types hard and with substitute, recover and aqua ring it becomes a real pain. I guess, the only real way to take it out with my current team is if I manage to badly posion the thing, and even then it's a pain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)