Heliolisk (QC REJECT 2/3)

Overview
########

[Pros]
  • Heliolisk's base 109 Speed allows it to outspeed many common Choice Scarf users when equipped with a Choice Scarf as well.
  • It has a decent Special Attack stat.
  • Heliolisk possesses a shallow yet effective movepool.
  • It gets Dry Skin and Solar Power as abilities, both of which are useful if applied correctly.

[Cons]
  • Heliolisk's Normal / Electric typing make it weak to priority Fighting-type moves.
  • It suffers from Four Move Slot Syndrome.
  • Its 62 / 52 / 94 defenses make it very frail.

Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
########
name: Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Volt Switch
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Surf
ability: Dry Skin
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
evs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
nature: Timid / Modest

Moves
========
  • Thunderbolt is Heliolisk's main Electric-type STAB.
  • Volt Switch allows Heliolisk to gain momentum versus the opponent's team.
  • Focus Blast hits commin Specially Defensive walls such as Ferrothorn, Tyranitar, and Heatran.
  • Surf is mainly used so Heliolisk has a way to deal with Ground-types that try to switch in.
  • Dry Skin is great for letting Heliolisk switch in on Water-types or Water-type attacks.

Set Details
========
  • 252 Speed EVs + Timid nature + Choice Scarf make Heliolisk a quick hit-and-run Special Attacker and allows it to outspeed common Choice Scarf users (Keldeo, Terrakion, Infernape, Garchomp).
  • 252 Special Attack EVs are used to maximize Heliolisk's offensive potential.
  • The remaining 4 EVs are dumped in HP
  • Modest is better for the Choice Specs set if you are aiming to dent the opposing team as much as possible.

Usage Tips
========
  • Heliolisk is better used as a momentum gainer than as a Special threat as a number of Specially Defensive walls still adequately deal with it.
  • It's important to gauge the kind of opponent you are facing when using Heliolisk so that you can predict correctly as the Choice Set can cause you to gain as well as lose momentum.
  • Be wary of switching in on Water-types that can deal significant damage to you if you predict incorrectly; for example, switching in on a Starmie that could possible Psyshock / Psychic you is dangerous whereas switching in on a Rotom-Wash that at best can Will-O-Wisp or Volt Switch on you is better.
  • Do not overestimate Heliolisk's Special Attacking prowess on the Choice Scarf set; most non-STAB moves are not guaranteed OHKO's even if 2x supereffective.

Team Options
========
  • Sun or Rain for weather support can be useful with Solar Power or Dry Skin, respectively; this makes Mega Charizard Y a good partner as it provides Sun and can hit some of Heliolisk's checks (Jirachi, Celebi, Trevenant, Gastrodon).
  • U-turn users are also helpful for Heliolisk as they provide a VoltTurn core; Scizor complements Heliolisk well as its dual STABs cover some of Heliolisk's checks (Sylveon, Florges, Latias) and it creates a VoltTurn core.
  • Hard hitting Ice-types, such as Mamoswine, also complement Heliolisk as they check for Dragon-types that can mostly shrug off Heliolisk's hits.

Other Options
########
  • Life Orb is also a somewhat viable item to use on Heliolisk as it permits Heliolisk to alternate moves while still dealing decent damage and Dry Skin may be used to recover the recoil damage.
  • Heliolisk has access to Grass Knot which significantly helps with Water / Ground types that stop it in its tracks.
  • Heliolisk also has access to Dark Pulse which can be used to hit Latias, Jirachi, Trevenant, and Celebi if necessary.
  • If the extra power is needed, Dry Skin + Rain support + Thunder can be run although relying on weather for perfect accuracy is risky.

Checks & Counters
########

• Chansey / Blissey: Chansey and Blissey have extremely high Special Defense and HP stats, making them a solid counter to Heliolisk.
  • Volt Absorb and Motor Drive: Pokemon with the abilities Volt Absorb or Motor Drive, such as Thundurus-Therian and Jolteon, can halt Choiced Heliolisk.
  • Water / Ground types: Water / Ground types fear nothing from Heliolisk if it doesn't have Grass Knot
  • Assault Vest users: Assault Vest Tyranitar and Conkeldurr don't have to worry about most of Heliolisk's moves. Conkeldurr also scares Heliolisk out with priority Mach Punch.
  • Special walls that Heliolisk cannot hit well (and should Volt Switch out on) include: Jirachi, Celebi, Latias, Dragalge, Sylveon, Florges, and Goodra.

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Heliolisk has coverage issues, terrible stats, and no sweeping potential, making it outclassed by the likes of Thundurus and other fast special attackers. Dry Skin is useless when you are so fucking frail... It's only remerkable trait is its Speed, which alone isn't enough to give it a niche.

QC REJECTED 1/3

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
I dont think scarf is viable on Heliolisk, it's just way too fuckin weak without it.

As for pros, try to differentiate it from stiff competition. Special attacking electric types are common and many vie for a spot in OU. Heliolisk has a better offensive movepool then Raikou, Jolteon, and Mega Manectric while having a considerably better speed tier compared to Thundy-T. The ghost immunity is pretty valuable too, especially considering some aegislash are starting to run steel moves instead of sacred sword. Where does Heliolisk succeed where Mega-Manectric, and Thundurus formes fail. If you can think of something, say so.

I dont think scarf is viable on Heliolisk, it's just way too fuckin weak without it.

As for pros, try to differentiate it from stiff competition. Special attacking electric types are common and many vie for a spot in OU. Heliolisk has a better offensive movepool then Raikou, Jolteon, and Mega Manectric while having a considerably better speed tier compared to Thundy-T. The ghost immunity is pretty valuable too, especially considering some aegislash are starting to run steel moves instead of sacred sword. Where does Heliolisk succeed where Mega-Manectric, and Thundurus formes fail. If you can think of something, say so.
After some further testing, I've decided Scarf and Specs are too easy for the opponent to play around if they have a decent enough team. I've tried out Expert Belt an Life Orb as alternate options, but Expert Belt doesn't make the cut. The best set I can suggest at this point is:

move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Dark Pulse
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Surf
ability: Dry Skin
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
nature: Modest

where Volt Switch can be swapped in if hard-switching is unfavorable.

Sad to say, Heliolisk doesn't really do much better than Thundurus or Mega Manectric and only beats Thundurus-Therian in outspeeding certain opposing Pokemon. That's about all I've got for Heliolisk

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Heliolisk with Dry Skin kind of helps against switching into some of the bulky Water-types like Vaporeon and such. Too bad that it is still pretty awful otherwise. I guess at least Surf helps...

Sorry, but I agree with alexwolf on this. Heliolisk has an unfortunate case of diabades.

Bad joke.

QC REJECT 2/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)