Having trouble with creating teams in OU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have made attempts at creating versatile OU tier teams, but I haven't found any combination that has worked for me. I have found some favorites, but when using them I often times don't cover a specific weakness that my team has. Overall, I guess you could say I have trouble finding good Pokemon to both support my team as well as counter common threats. I know how to counter many threats and build balanced teams, but my main problem will always be making a seemingly good team, then losing by unpreparation. I then go back and see what I can fix to make sure I don't lose to a certain strategy again, and I can't fix anything that won't make me weak to something else. If anyone is good at having one or two Pokemon sets that counter a lot, it would be nice if someone could name a few worth using on a team with no particular theme.
The ones I know worth using on any team to ward off a lot of threats include so far:
- Tyranitar
- Heatran
- Magnezone
- Machamp
- Suicune
- Blissey
- Jirachi
- Gyarados
- Salamence
- Rapid Spinners
- Rotom Appliances
All the rest I find are too specific and mostly only counter certain things but find a downfall on other Pokemon that aren't listed as a threat or counter to them, such as Zapdos, Swampert, and Dusknoir. I have tried sets on these that are meant to beat nearly everything they can't handle by statusing or using unpredictable moves. This has worked most of the time, but I suppose my weakness has been not having certain elements on my team needed to beat certain threats. Currently, the team I am using is this:

Metagross @ Occa Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/236 Atk/12 Def/8 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
---
Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flash Cannon
- Signal Beam
---
Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
---
Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP/220 Def/36 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Leech Seed
- Recover
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Fire]
---
Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Fire Punch
- Stone Edge
---
Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/112 Atk/144 Def
Sassy nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Payback
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
---
These Pokemon are very general and counter nearly everything that their type is super-effective against. Often, this team gets battered enough, then all of a sudden I pull out something unpredictable, like Crocune, and my opponent's strategy plummets. Metagross is such a great lead, although I've heard he fairs better without using Stealth Rock, as most of my efforts are to kill the other lead, unless against Hippowdon or Swampert. I suppose options to his last slot could be Grass Knot, Rock Slide or something else with better coverage, but Meteor Mash, with an Attack raise, beats down even Rotom appliances. My Occa Berry makes Metagross slightly useless for the rest of the game as he can only take the one Fire attack before dying or me having to switch. I suppose the biggest weakness I have on this team is that anything faster and with the ability to KO most of my Pokemon like a D-Dance Kingdra wins the game automatically. This is mainly because I have no Choice Scarf users that can catch Dragon Dancers. Magnezone is a big threat with his ability to trap steels in a little box. Skarmory can switch in on Metagross easily, which is why Zone exists. Magnezone now beats every Rapid Spinner there is, as Donphan is now in UU. Hidden Power Ice is so I can switch in on a Outraging Dragon, take a hit perhaps, then KO. Besides that, his moveset is too obvious for me. Crocune is there because he soaks up status users, beats down every foolish Rotom appliance, that sneaks in trying to get a KO. Needless to say, Crocune beats any team that isn't prepared for him. I like him better than Swampert, as he can take a hit on both ends even better after a CM. Celebi is there along with Tyranitar with the whole Scizor weakness. But that's why Zone is here. Celebi pwns Gyarados's face. Kills Scizor if he foolish enough to stay in after he has Superpowered or Bullet Punched. Grass Knot does horrible damage to Celebi's other big counter, Tyranitar. The only thing that can go head to head with her is Zapdos. He dies from Zone too. Forretress is just my novelty spinner, although I like Starmie better as he is more offensive, and Tentacruel's Knock Off is so great. What I'd have to say is that if not for Suicune, Heatran blazes through my whole team. If anyone has an pointers for me, well, that would be grand, or something. I know about me not having a Rapid Spin Blocker or a nice Ghost type, but I didn't see it fitting in much. I may however get rid of Celebi for Gengar or Dusknoir, or Magnezone for SleepTalk Rotom-H. So far my win streak has been 8-0, but I still don't feel comfortable with the way it works. I feel like I'm missing a lot.

looks to me like you're having a problem with coming up with actual ideas for a team rather than having a problem with shoddy battle itself. If you want some help, join battling 101; it's a great resource for new players. A new round will show up in about a week.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
Olie's suggestion is good, or you could make a thread on the Rate My Team forum (that follows its rules, of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)