Hangin' with the big guns (Offensive)

Hi guys, and thanks for checking out my rmt.
I originally created this team with the intention of getting the highest rank possible. It's a pretty simple goal, but I've never had a great rating before, so I though this was a good place to start.
The team peaked at 509/6737, but usually hangs around the 750 mark. I'm hoping that with your help it can spear a little further up.
I'm not going to write out a teambuilding process, because I basically threw some pokemon together and tweaked the sets.

Deoxys-S @ Focus Sash Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Fire Punch
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Superpower
I chose Deoxys-S as a lead because I'd seen him used a lot in Ubers and was eager to try him out now he's dropped down. Taunt and Stealth rock are staples for a suicide lead. Fire Punch OHKO's 4/0 Genusekuto and cripples Nuttre, and Superpower is a OHKO on all the lead Tyrantiar I've seen, as well as denting almost everything that doesn't resist it.

Darkrai @ Life Orb
Trait: Bad Dreams
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Dark Void
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
Darkrai is so good this Gen it's not funny. I usually bring him in after Deoxys dies, fire off a Dark Void and provided it hits, something is dying. Nasty Plot increases his special attack to astonomical levels, and then Dark Pulse and Hidden Power [Fighting] provide fantastic coverage, hitting everything but Heracross at least neutral. I have been having issues with Roobushin however, who survives a Hidden Power and OHKO's back with Drain Punch.

Shaymin-S @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd

- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Choice Scarf Shaymin-S is an excellent disruptive pokemon, because Air Slash and Seed Flare together rip holes in pretty much every strategy one cares to think of. Earth Power rapes Heatran without Balloon, and if it has one, Air Slash does a pretty good job of popping it ready for something else to come in and deal with it. Hidden Power [Ice] rips through most dragons, and punches holes in the bulkier ones ready for a later sweep.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
- Roost
Latias rounds out my trio of special sweepers with an offensive Calm Mind set. Roost lets me recover off LO damage and damage from SR should they be up. Calm Mind turns it into a monster, and the two attacks give fantastic coverage and STAB. I went with modest over timid since after a Calm Mind, this thing can take a hit or two anyway and Roost off the damage, so I feel the extra power is worth more than the speed.

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Eccentric
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Transform
Scarf Ditto is IMHO the best revenge killer in the game hands down. If I wrote a threatlist, this would be on every other line but it gets rid of so much stuff and does it again and again. The Spe EV's and nature are to help it transform quickly if I get hit by Gastro Acid while switching in (Extremely unlikely, but it costs me nothing), though in that situation it's probably dead anyway. Against Balloon users, I try to have another of my team pop the ballon and then bring ditto in to smash them up. (This is my standard strategy against Doryuuzu if Breloom can't KO for whatever reason.)

Breloom (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
Technician Breloom does a pretty good job of rounding out the team, though I sometimes feel it's a bit of a weak link. Spore puts stuff to sleep and allows me to setup a SD, after which Mach Punch Kills anything faster and Bullet Seed kills anything slower. Against Evo Stone Chansey, I try to set up 2 Dances to ensure the KO with Mach Punch.

Well thanks for taking the team to read this RMT, and I hope you have some suggestions to take it from a 'pretty good' team to an awesome team!

FF

24 Hour Bump.
Has nobody got comments? I can't break the 500 barrier, so I'm assuming there's some problem with the team. At a glance, I'd say opposing ditto can be a pain, but It's not too bad.

Yes, I've got a few comments. =)

Wow, you really did seem to kinda throw this team together. I mean no disrespect, but did you seriously just pick whatever you thought some top threats were, tossed them in, and expected to win? That's not proper teambuilding at all, really....not that there's a standard, but you would think you could put a bit more thought into making it.

Ok, first off, that Deoxys-S set is lacking. It can be beaten by virtually any Fighting-type lead. Replace Superpower with Psycho Boost or a similar STAB move. You can take care of things like Tar with your Rai or Loom.

Darkrai is a good poke yes, but most people hardly seem to know how to use him properly at all. He's EASILY revenged by priority from the likes of TechniLoom and Roo, two EXTREMELY common threats. You already have one sleeper on your team, and Dark Void does not have perfect accuracy, so you might as well replace that with Substitute. Come in when you please, threaten a Void (hopefully your opponent has not seem Loom yet or they might suspect something, then again you do have a fairly low rating) but set up a sub instead. From there either plot up or attack.

Shaymin-S is decent, but I think you could do a bit more with him by abusing a subseed set. Keep Air Slash and Seed Flare, replace the other two with sub and seed, and have Leftovers as your item. You can stall out a LOT of pokes with him hiding behind a sub and using that glorious 60% flinch chance.

Latios, IMO, is not as good as Latias when it comes to CM sets. You are highly vulnerable to status there, and Los does not have the same bulk that Las does, which is something virtually required when you aren't using a set with a boosting move of +2 or more. Since I took away your ScarfMin, use a scarf on Los and use it as a revenge killer. It has higher attacking stats for a reason. A simple set of Dragon Pulse, Draco Meteor, Surf, and Thunder will serve you well.

Ditto is Ditto....although when using him here's a tip you should have in mind. NEVER send him in against a poke known to use Substitute or that boosts its Defense as well, unless it has a move that is supereffective against itself. Case in point: Urugamosa. It boosts its SDef, so it would be hard to kill, but sometimes they carry HP Rock. Or, for example, Toxicroak. They sometimes use subsweep sets in the rain. When Ditto is sent in on a sub, he cannot transform. Break those first with another poke, and if you're not sure if they'll throw one up, toss in a sacrifice to be sure. Ditto is too valuable.

And now for Breloom. Don't try to wait around and set up in front of Chansey. In the same amount of turns it would take you to set up another SD and finish it off, you could do the same with two Mach Punches. What I'm trying to say is, don't risk your opponent carrying something like Ice Beam or Flamethrower. You say he's a bit of a weak link, and frankly I think you're just not using him right. I think it's safe to say everyone knows how to use him: bring him in on a resisted attack and a poke he outspeeds, Spore, SD, and sweep. Maybe you're not following the formula correctly? Ionno. If you're using him to revenge things like Dory or Darkrai (and you should!), if they already have up an SD send him in AFTER a poke gets killed. And don't try to keep him in on anything he can't OHKO or you can take care of with another poke.

And some side comments I guess are....you have a large Bug weakness...so try to keep D-S alive for Geno...you've also got no Steel to suck up Dragon moves, so watch out there. Add a bit more to your descriptions. It all seems very vague. And I tell everyone this, but ADD A THREATLIST!

All in all it seems to be a decent team to me.

iirc, chansey's spatk is too weak to ice beam/flamethrower and thus use seismic toss.
blissy is the one with a decent spatk to ko.
(Correct me if I'm wrong please)

now to the rate:
I'm not going to write out a teambuilding process, because I basically threw some pokemon together and tweaked the sets
if you tweaked it, can you specify your tweaks and state the reasons. esp if you don't have a threat list.

Besides the common type weaknesses with no resistances, using two sleepers who depend on the sleep to set up is not a great idea.

bleu's rate is great, and I mean no disrepect when I say the metagame is too much when a team like this works.

Looks like a promising team, with some decent offensive capabilities, but there are some gapping holes that need to be adressed. I think Breloom is out of place on this team in its current state. Two Sleep inducers is kinda redundant because of Sleep clause, and I feel like it is a bit too frail to be able to check Doryuuzu (since it's usually introduced late game) and switch-into resisted attacks. In Breloom's slot, I think a Bulk Up Roobushin will fare much better on this team, adding some overall well needed bulk and setting up on defensive teams. Drain Punch / Mach Punch / Bulk Up / Payback with Leftovers, Brave (0 Spe IVs) and 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SpD, is ideal.

Moving into bigger problems, Dragon-Pokemon are definitely going to be problematic, lacking a Steel-type right now is an issue that simply cannot be ignored. Other clear issues with your team is weaknesses to some threats, mainly opposing Shaymin-S and CB Scizor (with Bullet Punch it can ravage your team once everything is sufficiently weakened). Consider replacing Deoxys-S with a Balloon Heatran, which will give your team a bit more bulk whilst still setting up SR, keeping it offensive, and adding a Steel type to absorb those Dragon moves (and retaliate with Dragon Pulse), as well as a check to a multitude of threats such as Shaymin-S and Scizor. Use this set:

Heatran @ Balloon | Timid | 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Fire Blast / SR / Earthpower / Dragon Pulse

I think that 'switching' Latios and Shaymin-S' roles will be a beneficial change for this team. Latias is more suited for revenge killing purposes, while Shaymin-S will work much more effectively with a different set. Use Choice Scarf Latios with Draco Meteor / Surf / Thunderbolt / Trick and an offensive 252/252 spread, which will give you another effective check to set-up Pokemons alongside Ditto. Run a Subseed Shaymin-S over your current set, Leech Seed / Seed Flare / Substitute / Air Slash with Leftovers and a Timid nature. This will give Shaymin-S much more survivability and makes it even more dangerous because this set, virtually doesn't have any 'counters', so give these changes a shot.

As for minor changes, Focus Blast > HP Fighting is an obligatory change, in my opinion. I realise that the accuracy may be unappealing, but it does net you some crucial KOs against Heatran and Tyranitar, which certainly makes it superior to HP Fighting. gl!

I'm going to echo Bleu Soul. I see four Uber suspects and a Ditto. What's to comment on? There's nothing original here, you just picked the absolute strongest pokemon and threw them together. I see no team cohesion or overall goal. Most people wouldn't feel compelled to comment as a result.

Deoxys-S should have Spikes or Magic coat.

Latias makes a better Calm Mind user than Latios. Use Choice Specs with Trick.

You are screwed by Trick Room Rankurusu btw.

and that's all she wrote.

Thanks for the comments.
I'll consider all the suggestions. I CAN teambuild with thought, and I have a stall team that I'm still tweaking that's been over 6 hours in the making, but for this, I was really just trying to throw a load of broken shit together and see how far up the ladder I could get. So far I'm thinking of revising to Balloontran/Voidkrai/Subseed Skymin/Scarf or Specs Latios/Ditto/Bulk-Up Roobushin.
Off to do some testing.

Sorry for the double post, but I've decided to retire the team. I'm really sorry for wasting your time, but with suspect voting coming up, I can't see the team escaping unscathed from the banhammer, and I've decided I much prefer stall to a more offensive playstyle. The whole slow-and-steady wins the race thing suits me more, and it give more oppurtunities for planning and synergy imho, which I like. I probably won't post a rmt immediately. I'm in the process of completely revising my team, and I'll likely only keep one or two pokemon the same. (For reference, my 'current' team is Erufuun/Nidoqueen/Nattorei/Burungeruu/Celebi/Mamanbou. Mama is definately the mvp, with a bit of investment, I've had it take a life orb Landlos explosion and wish off the damage no problem.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)