VGC Hail Offense - My Attempt at Regulation C

I have very little experience in any doubles format, but decided to give this generation a go after watching some Wolfe's vids on YouTube. I ended playing around with the idea of scarf Armarouge with Lava Plume into Baxcalibur with Thermal Exchange. While this combination doesn't get to come off regularly, I feel like I might accidentally be onto something that works pretty well at least in the lower ladder (1300s on Showdown). I'm interested in hearing what more seasoned VGC players have to say of the concept. I'd like to also note that I'm not familiar at all with EV'ing process so I pretty much have max max stats on everything.

Armarouge @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Level: 50
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Armor Cannon
- Psychic
- Tera Blast

This team will contain a lot of very off beat sets and Armarouge is no exception. The choice scarf set outspeeds all major offensive threats and is able to get some early KOs especially when the ooponent reads the team preview wrong. Lava Plume is for the gimmicky combo with Baxcalibur while teratype Fairy with Tera Blast is nice to avoid being KO'ed by Chien-Pao's Sucker Punch and anything Chi-Yu likes throw at you while being able to hit it back with a strong stab move.

--------------

Baxcalibur @ Loaded Dice
Ability: Thermal Exchange
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Protect
- Glaive Rush
- Icicle Spear

A very strong mon that takes a lot of teams by surprise. Icicle Spear is very nice being able to OHKO frail mons that usually would rely on their focus sash or sturdy. With the hail support it gains considerabel bulk to set up deadly dragon dances. Tera Fire may seem suboptimal, but I wanted the tera type flow with the Lava Plume strategy as fluently as possible.

--------------

Abomasnow @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Icy Wind
- Leaf Storm
- Helping Hand

In my mind, a natural support option for Bax was Abomasnow, as the snow will provide extra bulk for more set up opportunities. With tera Water, it is able to be a solid defensive asset, allowing it to last for many turns providing screen support, speed control and Helping Hand boosts. Leaf Storm is a nice offensive move to let it better check the likes of Palafin, (tera water) Annihilape and Chien-Pao, among other things.

--------------

Iron Bundle @ Life Orb
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Hydro Pump
- Protect

Offensive Iron Bundle takes a lot of teams by surprise, but it doesn't rely just on the surprise factor. Being able to outspeed all of the main offensive threats, most notably Flutter Mane, allows it exert some serious early game pressure. Tera water is great both defensively and offensively as it removes the weaknesses of ice while boosting Hydro Pump's power.

--------------

Murkrow @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Haze
- Tailwind
- Quash

Murkrow is by far the most situational member of the team. Mostly useful in some specific scenarios, such as intimidate, trick room and DondoGiri match ups. Due to its passive nature, you can't really bring it with Abomasnow, as together they simply fail to make enough damage.

--------------

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Tera Blast
- Brick Break

The last member is there to check a lot of mons that the rest of the team struggles with like Flutter Mane, Chi-Yu, Annihilape, Torkoal and Grimmsnarl. Tera Blast is nice for checking opposing fighting types, although Iron Hands is still a big problem for this squad. Brick Break is an awkward but much needed gimmick to stop the team from completely losing to Grimmsnarl match ups. Additionally, it is a very nice option for opposing Kingambits. Dual weather is a double edged sword, but personally I have found it to work quite well.

Why is TTar brave not Adamant(though I'd consider Careful w/ AV?) Tera Blast isn't special by default, it varies based on higher stat. I'd do calcs based on what you need to ohko-run as little Atk as you can and go for a high even SpD cause AV +50%.

I can't imagine you'll tera Murkrow much if at all, but why Fire? A better defensive type, or dark for Foul Play, makes more sense imo. I guess burn still affects it if you're not fire, but on the whole your team isn't weak to burns so I think it's ok to not be fire.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)