move 1: Substitute
move 2: Dragon Dance
move 3: Bounce
move 4: Waterfall
item: Liechi Berry / Salac Berry
nature: Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Gyarados has received a much needed replacement to its previously physical STAB Hidden Power Flying back in ADV in the form of Bounce. Despite suffering from low PP, Bounce's respectable base power after benefiting from STAB, along with its 30% paralysis rate, makes it a great addition to Gyarados' movepool, and an even better one at that when paired with Waterfall's 20% flinch rate. Sadly it all comes with the price of being a 2 turn move, as such Bounce is awfully susceptible to Protect stalling and because of its limited PP it will be to your advantage to avoid such encounters as much as possible. It is also worth mentioning that the Water + Flying-type combo is resisted only by Empoleon and Lanturn outside of Ubers, so type coverage will rarely be an issue.</p>

<p>The given EVs allow for 332 HP, 383 Attack, and 261 Speed. 332 HP is divisible by 4 so you activate the pinch berry of your choice after your setting up your third Substitute. Max Attack is self-explanatory for a set such as this, where massive amounts of brute strength will undoubtedly come in handy. 261 Speed on the other hand allows Gyarados to outpace everything below neutral base 80s and, after a single Dragon Dance, all non-Choice Scarf Shaymin-S, which can easily be dispatched with a STABed Bounce coming off of a 574 Attack stat.</p>

<p>Liechi Berry is recommended for the power boost, but Salac should not be ignored, as the boost it grants in Speed allows Gyarados to keep up with all those Scarf users going around. Due to the stallish nature of Substitute + Bounce, Leftovers can also be considered if one opts for a more defensive approach when setting up.</p>

Here's the set. If you have an alternate EV spread let me know (72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe perhaps?). Thanks have a nice day ^^.

I've run a gyra with bounce too, and I think the EV's should be close to the defensive resttalker set. It allows it to take hits, sub up and annoy. I have always been a fan of annoyance sets like this, which is why my subroost zapdos has fly and my subseeding sceptile has dig.

As in the Impish one on the analysis? I haven't actually tested that spread but generally this set isn't really meant to annoy that much (it does but that's not the main selling point).

It's a beast offensively with STAB flying and Water attacks which is resisted only by Empoleon and Lanturn outside of Ubers. I originally ran a full offensive spread and it usually works wonders when backed up by a spinner. I'll give a more bulky spread a shot later on today. Thanks have a nice day ^^

(I was thinking of a particular fly set obviously not Gyarados but Shoddy currently has Fly bugged iirc so that'll have to wait).

If you did use Leftovers, and got a Substitute up and it doesn't break or theres a switch;

6.25 on Sub
6.25 on Bounce T1
6.25 on Bounce T2 (Sub breaks?)

Overall you only lose 6.25% HP, so (imo) it should have some bulk in it's Substitutes, as well as gaining possible paralysis turns. If we went on the theory that 1/4 turns X is paralysed, your all good. It seems like a good set. Will there be say, 2 sets? I can't help feel this might actually be useful as a "Toxic Staller", as well as say, a Berry Boosting set?

I'll try it out later though to get a full idea.

I honestly just used adamant max attack max speed with SE, Waterfall, DD, and Bounce. It worked well with LO, since Celebi takes a heap from it(I OHKOed one, IIRC).

A bulkyish set with Sub over my SE, however, would probably work as well. Probably with enough sp. defense to take no sp. attack Celebi grass Knot.

I see that both sets work well. Maybe use the max attack/speed on the main, but in the set comments say the bulky EV's work well too...

I'm running the same set Articanus but with the self explanatory Sub > Stone Edge. I also have a Liechi Berry equipped (you could run Salac but I generally prefer the Atk boost).

I don't think there needs to be two sets as the bulkier version and EV spread can be tackled under the explanation of the actual set. Unless of course you prefer two separate sets. Thanks have a nice day ^^.

This is a set Ive tested extensively on shoddy, and it sweeps teams as long as Zapdos/Rotom is out of the picture. The only middling fact is Bounce's paltry 8 PP and less than desirable 85% accuracy, which depletes pretty quickly against defensive Suicunes and Protect Vaporeons. But other than that, it is a fine set and as Articanus mentioned capable of screwing over Celebi/Starmie/non Protect Vaporeons, etc

I think the fact that Bounce's 30% Paralysis rate + the 20% Flinch rate from Waterfall should be mentioned, as it cripples the enemy 50% of the time giving you more time to set up with DD/gain health with Leftovers.

A bulkyish set with Sub over my SE, however, would probably work as well. Probably with enough sp. defense to take no sp. attack Celebi grass Knot.
Unfortunately that takes a +Sp. Defense nature, which really compromises on your attacking power. Personally I'm just inclined to use Substitute on a predicted Celebi's Thunder Wave and Dragon Dance from there.

Finished with the pure offensive berry variant of the set I haven't actually tested Leftovers but I'll give it a shot. Thanks have a nice day ^^.

<p>With the advent of Platinum, Gyarados has received a much needed replacement to its previously physical STAB Hidden Power Flying back in ADV in the form of Bounce. Despite suffering from low PP, Bounce's respectable base power paired with STAB, along with its 30% paralyze rate makes it a great addition to Gyarados' movepool, and an even better one at that when paired with Waterfall's 20% flinch rate. The Water and Flying-type coverage is resisted only by Empoleon and Lanturn outside of Ubers, so type coverage will rarely be an issue.</p>

<p>The given EVs allow for 332 HP, 383 Attack and 261 Speed. 332 HP is divisible by 4 so you activate the pinch berry of your choice after your setting up your third Substitute. Max Attack is self-explanatory for a set such as this where massive amounts of brute strength will undoubtedly come in handy. 261 Speed on the other hand allows Gyarados to outpace everything below neutral base 80s and, after a single Dragon Dance, all non Choice Scarf Shaymin-S, which can be dispatched with a STABed Bounce coming off of a 574 Attack stat.</p>

<p>Liechi Berry is recommended for the power boost, but Salac should not be ignored as the boost it grants in Speed allows Gyarados to keep up with all those Choice Scarf users going around.</p>
Nice one :D

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/gyarados

[SET]
name: SubBounce

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With the advent of Platinum, Gyarados has received a much needed replacement to its previously physical STAB Hidden Power Flying back in ADV in the form of Bounce. Despite suffering from low PP, Bounce's respectable base power after benefiting from STAB, along with its 30% paralysis rate, makes it a great addition to Gyarados' movepool, and an even better one at that when paired with Waterfall's 20% flinch rate. It is worth mentioning that the Water + Flying-type combo is resisted only by Empoleon and Lanturn outside of Ubers, so type coverage will rarely be an issue.</p>

<p>The given EVs allow for 332 HP, 383 Attack, and 261 Speed. 332 HP is divisible by 4 so you activate the pinch berry of your choice after your setting up your third Substitute. Max Attack is self-explanatory for a set such as this, where massive amounts of brute strength will undoubtedly come in handy. 261 Speed on the other hand allows Gyarados to outpace everything below neutral base 80s and, after a single Dragon Dance, all non-Choice Scarf Shaymin-S, which can easily be dispatched <deleted> with a STABed Bounce coming off of a 574 Attack stat.</p>

<p>Liechi Berry is recommended for the power boost, but Salac should not be ignored, as the boost it grants in Speed allows Gyarados to keep up with all those Scarf users going around.</p>

Here's the set. If you have an alternate EV spread in my mind let me know (72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe perhaps?). Thanks have a nice day ^^.
Cool set ^_^ I like your avi by the way! *non-sequitur*

P.S. Young superhuman!Junior passes you this message: Leftovers can also be viable on a SubBounce set ^_^ he also threatened to suppress hugs unless I explained why. Stallish Bounce, recover, etc. etc. yeah its just leftovers.

Thanks a lot Misaki for the grammatical corrections and the lesson on English ^^ (glad you like the avatar btw yours is pretty good as well, Samurai X iirc?).

Needs some mention about the obvious downside of Bounce and how to overcome it/not get outpredicted or something

I think a mention of Thunder should be made, as it can hit Gyarados in the charge-up phase of Bounce, which is bad for obvious reasons if you aren't behind a Substitute.

By the way, hi guys. *wonders if anyone remembers me*

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/gyarados

[SET]
name: SubBounce

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Gyarados has received a much needed replacement to its previous (removed "ly") physical STAB Hidden Power Flying back in ADV in the form of Bounce. Despite suffering from low PP, Bounce's respectable base power after benefiting from STAB, along with its 30% paralysis rate, makes it a great addition to Gyarados' movepool that works even better (removed "one at that") when paired with Waterfall's 20% flinch rate. Sadly, it all comes with the price of being a 2 turn move, as such Bounce is awfully susceptible to Protect stalling and because of its limited PP it will be to your advantage to avoid such encounters as much as possible. It is also worth mentioning that the Water + Flying-type combo is resisted only by Empoleon and Lanturn outside of Ubers, so type coverage will rarely be an issue.</p>

<p>The given EVs allow for 332 HP, 383 Attack, and 261 Speed. 332 HP is divisible by 4 so you activate the pinch berry of your choice after your setting up your third Substitute. Max Attack is self-explanatory for a set such as this, where massive amounts of brute strength will undoubtedly come in handy. 261 Speed on the other hand allows Gyarados to outpace everything below neutral base 80s and, after a single Dragon Dance, all non-Choice Scarf Shaymin-S, which can easily be dispatched with a STABed Bounce coming off of a 574 Attack stat.</p>

<p>Liechi Berry is recommended for the power boost, but Salac should not be ignored, as the boost it grants in Speed allows Gyarados to keep up with all those Scarf users going around. Due to the stallish nature of Substitute + Bounce, Leftovers can also be considered if one opts for a more defensive approach when setting up.</p>

Here's the set. If you have an alternate EV spread let me know (72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe perhaps?). Thanks have a nice day ^^.
Just fixed to "flow" better. It's too bad how Vaporeon with Protect so easily walls this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)