Gyara On The Offensive - RMT

..........::::::::::Offense Is the Name of the Game!::::::::::..........

Introduction

Hey there everyone! This is Raocow....wait wrong introduction :P. This team contains two ideas I have had for a team: Life Orb three attack Gyarados, and Lum Berry Dragon Dance Tyranitar. I couldn’t choose between them, so they became the core of this team, and I stand by my choices.

Team at a Glance

Team In-depth

Roserade (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder
- Toxic Spikes
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Roserade is one of my favourite leads. Period. It usually allows me to set up Toxic Spikes from turn 2, which is always helpful. Rotom is usually around to prevent Rapid Spin. Baiting out Forretress isn’t usually a bad idea if I were to bring Scarf Magnezone out. The Toxic Spikes helps in the long run if I am switching around playing it safe, and helping TTar or Gyarados perform a clean(er) sweep.

Leaf Storm is obvious for STAB, and in all honesty, even without any boosts will take a chunk out of almost anything that doesn’t resist it. For its second attacking move, I am still debating between either HP Ice or HP Ground. HP Ground works amazingly on Heatran leads, even though it won’t usually OHKO thanks to the Shuca resistance. HP Ice works better for any kind of dragons or flyers.

Tyranitar (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 36 HP/252 Atk/220 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

This is mainly for mid-late game, it easily uses RestTalkWow Rotom-A as a set-up fodder thanks to the Lum heal. After Tyranitar comes in, most people won’t switch Rotom in fear of Pursuit, so they will usually stay in and WoW, and at Dragon Dance up. If the battle has gone on long enough, and SR + Toxic Spikes have taken effect to the opponent’s team, it should help TTar OHKO things it can’t usually OHKO.

EV spread is fairly simple, it outruns +Spe Base 110 pokes after 1xDD. Max Attack, and rest in HP. Without Crunch, using Lum + DD tactic with Rotom would honestly be a waste to be honest. Stone Edge (when it actually hits) is really powerful for another STAB move, and takes on Gyarados (even though they intimidate you). Earthquake over Fire Punch or Superpower for the following reasons: 1. Fire Punch is really only effective for Scizor, which would OHKO Tyranitar with Bullet Punch, and 2. Superpower lowers attack and defense which could really decrease my chances of a clean sweep. Earthquake handles Heatran/Magnezone just fine.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 24 HP/232 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Explosion
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Thunderbolt

One of the best Steel revenge killers ever...in fact, I wouldn’t doubt that it is the best. Bring this in on a Scizor that has used Bullet Punch, and 2HKO it with Thunderbolt, although I could use HP Fire over HP Ground to OHKO it, but I’d rather use HP Ground for quicker results with Magnezone, and the occasional Heatran. Flash Cannon works against anything like Flygon or Latias that swiches into it, although I would be switching Gliscor into something like Flygon in the first place. If I get desperate, and I need a quick kill AND I have little to no use of Magnezone, I will just Explode.

Gyarados (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 8 HP/252 Atk/248 Spd
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang

Gyarados is my second important sweeper on this team. LO Gyarados rips into teams after 1 DD, just as long as my opponent’s bulky Waters are dealt with; hopefully with the help of Rotom-H and/or Toxic Spikes damage. After they have dealt with, it’ll help immensely after Gyarados can come in and DD and then sweep. I choose Jolly over Adamant, mainly because I like to be able to outrun anything like Heatran, Mamoswine, Lucario and the occasional Rotom-A without boosts (or with if they are scarfed.

Waterfall/Stone Edge/Ice Fang actually give decent coverage, although I have considered to have Bounce over Ice Fang but I am not sure to be perfectly honest.

Rotom-h @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/136 Spd/120 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Overheat
- Trick

Originally, I had Vaporeon for Wish protection in this slot, but I figured I needed an anti-spinner so that my Toxic Spikes/Stealth Rock wouldn’t be blown away, and my efforts of weakening the opponent gradually will be wasted. Anyway, this is a bulkier version of Scarfed Rotom-H, rather than just being max speed, I have less speed and Modest. 136 Speed allows Rotom to outspeed Base 115 pokes like Azelf and Starmie with the Scarf. Max HP helps give Rotom bulk on both sides, rather than just one. Rest of the EVs just go into Special Attack.

Gliscor (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 244 HP/44 Def/220 Spd
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Roost
- Stealth Rock

Last, but certainly not least: Gliscor. Gliscor is responsible for ensuring that Stealth Rocks get sets up. This is also my answer to Lucario, and taking Scizor’s U-Turns. This Gliscor outruns anything from Roserade down, so it should be fairly easy to get rocks up. Outspeeds Jolly Lucario as well, so won’t be seeing much action from that. 244 HP takes Gliscor to the “Magic Leftovers” number, rest goes into defense.

Threats List

Abomasnow = Magnezone, Rotom-H

Aerodactyl = Gliscor (w/o Ice Fang), Rotom-H

Azelf = Tyranitar (not U-turn), Magnezone (w/o Fire Blast/Flamethrower), Rotom-H

Breloom = Rotom-H, Gliscor (either one to absorb sleep)

Blissey = Toxic Spikes Damage, Tyranitar

Bronzong = Rotom-H, Magnezone (w/o Earthquake)

Celebi = Rotom-H (w/o getting Thunder Waved).

Cresselia = Tyranitar, Rotom-H

Dugtrio = Gliscor.

Dragonite = Gliscor (for physical variants)

Electivire = Rotom-H, Magnzone, Gliscor

Empoleon = Rotom-H, Magnezone....really depends on whether Empoleon gets an Agility up fairly quickly.

Flygon = Gliscor.

Gallade = Gliscor (w/o Ice Punch).

[color=”red”] Gengar [/color]= Rotom-H on LO Varients, Same with Magnezone. Have to predict around it.

Gliscor = Rotom-H, Gyarados, Roserade

Gyarados = Rotom-H

Heatran = TTar, Gyarados

Heracross = Gliscor

Hippowdon = Rotom-H, Gyarados

Infernape = Gyarados

Jirachi = Gliscor, TTar (on Calm Mind variants), Magnezone

Jolteon = Magnezone, TTar

Kingdra = Rotom-H, Magnezone

Latias = Tyranitar, Magnezone

Lucario = Gliscor, Rotom-H (on anything that isn’t crunch), Magnezone (revenge kill)

Machamp = Gliscor, Rotom-H (not on Payback)

Magnezone = Rotom-H, Tyranitar, Gliscor

Mamoswine = Rotom-H

Metagross = Gliscor, Rotom-H

Porygon-Z = Tyranitar

Porygon2 = Tyranitar, Rotom-H

Raikou = Tyranitar.

Rhyperior = Gliscor

Roserade = Rotom-H (although it can’t take a hit from Leaf Storm)

Rotom-A = Tyranitar

Salamence = Kinda have to predict around this guy.

Scizor = Rotom-H, Gyarados, Gliscor

Skarmory = Magnezone, Rotom-H

Smeargle = Anything and everything.

Snorlax = Gliscor, Rotom-H (Threaten the trick), Gyarados

Starmie = Tyranitar, Magnezone (not really counters but meh).

Suicune = Rotom-H, Magnezone, Roserade

Swampert = Rotom-H

Tyranitar = Gliscor

Vaporeon = Roserade, Magnezone, Rotom-H

Zapdos = Tyranitar

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey, without looking thoroughly the team can be improved with some good advises, which is why you posted it here I think. So let's get started.

The first thing that I would like to mention is that currently, the team isn't needing Toxic Spikes, and being Roserade one of your favourite leads I will try to arrange the things around it.

Tyranitar: You need to know that Tyranitar's purpose for being Jolly is to outpace 115 speed base pokemons, naming Azelf, Starmie and obviously Latias and Gengar. You can't try to be bulky if you're not getting the maximum use of the set. This is the proper spread for your T-tar: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd, and try Fire Punch over EQ too (although Fire Punch is advisable to use with Babiri Berry).

For Magnezone I have a strong suggestion, and that is Calm Mind Jirachi:

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Bold nature.
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt / Flash Cannon
- Wish

This is the pokemon who is going to abuse Toxic Spikes and help the rest of team mates with a valuable support as Wish is.
take a look at your current team, who does take benefit from Toxic Spikes? the only one is Gyarados and it can still sweep very good without them. But CM Jirachi's effectiveness gets improved by pairing it with TS, so right now you are counting with two abusers of this entry hazards.
Magnezone was doing nothing else than trapping Scizor in an attempt of killing Tyranitar, but that's not such a porblem having Gyarados around prepared for lunch a Dragon Dance in that moment.
Another thing is that using Jirachi you eliminate the possibility that Zone had of becoming a set up fodder for DD Mence for example.

Gyarados: I quote a part of what you wrote: "I choose Jolly over Adamant, mainly because I like to be able to outrun anything like Heatran, Mamoswine, Lucario and the occasional Rotom-A without boosts (or with if they are scarfed.)". I don't understand that, you mention Mamoswine and Lucario as one of the reasons for using Jolly instead of Adamant, but the fact is they are never Scarfed and with an Adamant nature after 1DD you clearly outrun them. Also, Scarf Heatran has always a positive speed nature and that means that even being Gyarados Jolly 252 Sped you will never be faster than it unless you get two Dragon Dances; and the same happens with Rotom, whether they are Scarfed or not with a Jolly nature you won't practically OHKO any...
As you can see, there is no reason in using Jolly while you can get a harder attack power by going with an Adamant one ;)

Rotom-h: Here happens something very similar as in T-tar's set, your EVs spread isn't well distributed. Let's see, Smogon has found that Rotom formes with the item Choice Scarf can become good revenge killers of things like DD Gyarados (which you do not outspeed after a single DD), and you are getting totally raped by this one cause Rotom is your only answer to it. In order to fix that and maintain the bulkyness use the following spread: 200 HP / 252 Spd / 56 SpA with a Timid nature.

Summarizing, test all the things that I've suggested and if you have any doubt about them, just say it!

Hope to have helped and good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)