Guitar Hero/Rock Band Discussion

Well, I'd search for a thread like this and check for its existence, but the forum search feature is down.

So basically, does anyone here play Rock Band or Guitar Hero?

I'm really looking for bandmates/drummers to compete against. I play expert drums pretty well, and I wouldn't mind playing with some Smogonites.

To be honest I hate those game franchises for a few reasons. I think why not just buy a guitar / bass / drum set and learn how to play? The other reason is all the annoying fan boys who treat a certain band like God because they heard one or two songs from them off of Guitar Hero / Rock Band. To me I just find it disrespectful to call any band your favorite if you've yet to listen to a full album by them. For example my little brother annoys me to death sometimes when he overplays Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne over and over and treats him like God, he knows Black Sabbath exists too but he doesn't bother checking them out or Ozzy's first two solo albums. Anyway I am currently learning guitar.

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
To be honest I hate those game franchises for a few reasons. I think why not just buy a guitar / bass / drum set and learn how to play?
Because we want to play a video game that can be picked up and learned in an evening and is a lot of fun to play with a group of other like minded individuals, instead of spending months (years? a lifetime?) learning how to competently play an instrument.

This "play a real instrument" line is really worn out, so lets keep it out of this thread.

To be honest I hate those game franchises for a few reasons. I think why not just buy a guitar / bass / drum set and learn how to play?
I think Mingot has covered this adequately. Also, it costs about 80 bucks for a plastic drumset and if you're a savvy shopper, 10 bucks for a plastic guitar. My cheapass Epiphone Les Paul Special II cost me 170 bucks, with just about every guitar upwards of that.

The other reason is all the annoying fan boys who treat a certain band like God because they heard one or two songs from them off of Guitar Hero / Rock Band. To me I just find it disrespectful to call any band your favorite if you've yet to listen to a full album by them. For example my little brother annoys me to death sometimes when he overplays Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne over and over and treats him like God, he knows Black Sabbath exists too but he doesn't bother checking them out or Ozzy's first two solo albums. Anyway I am currently learning guitar.
What's wrong with discovering bands through the video games? I for one owe my love of metal to Rock Band. My friend had ...And Justice For All by Metallica. I liked what I heard, got into Metallica, and then it grew outwards from there. I also owe Rock Band my discovery of Mastodon.

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I play, not as much as I used to though. I have 5 starred everything on expert except Six, Through the Fire and Flames and some GH1 songs.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To be honest I hate those game franchises for a few reasons. I think why not just buy a guitar / bass / drum set and learn how to play? The other reason is all the annoying fan boys who treat a certain band like God because they heard one or two songs from them off of Guitar Hero / Rock Band. To me I just find it disrespectful to call any band your favorite if you've yet to listen to a full album by them. For example my little brother annoys me to death sometimes when he overplays Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne over and over and treats him like God, he knows Black Sabbath exists too but he doesn't bother checking them out or Ozzy's first two solo albums. Anyway I am currently learning guitar.
I find it disrespectful when people start telling other people what their favourite bands are or aren't. Probably no where near as annoying as elitists who hate music video games because they play an instrument. Why buy a guitar / bass / drum set and spend years learning if you don't really have the desire (or talent) to do so? Some people like playing a rhythm game with their friends every now and then.

As mentioned, it's also an awesome way to discover new songs. Not sure why you think it's not. You hear a song or two from Rock Band, you like them, you check them out, buy more of their music. Some bands see huge increases in sales on iTunes after their songs are in Rock Band or Guitar Hero.

Not to mention this is another revenue source for musicians in a time when sales of their music is supposedly dwindling.

Giving everybody the ability to "play" along with their favourite bands is absolutely great. Your statement is tremendously ignorant.

Well I think Megadeth90's criticising people who hear a couple of good songs on the games, but then DON'T "check them out, buy more of their music". People who'll say "Oh yeah Dragonforce are great" when they've only heard TTFATF on Guitar Hero III.

Well I think Megadeth90's criticising people who hear a couple of good songs on the games, but then DON'T "check them out, buy more of their music". People who'll say "Oh yeah Dragonforce are great" when they've only heard TTFATF on Guitar Hero III.
You got the example right.

I own the whole band set for the Wii (guitar hero instruments). I'd love to play, but unfortunately, they are being borrowed by a friend of mine. I normally play hard mode on guitars (sometimes expert), medium on drums (though I rarely play drums), and beginner with vocals and I still fail at it lolz (the best I got on a song on beginner mode was 3 stars). Haven't played bass mode at all because I'm more into the guitar (as if there's a major difference anyway), and I own the game because I don't have the time and money to learn to play the real instruments.

I enjoy the games, they're a different sort of challenge to your usual video game (no fighting bosses and stuff like that) and most games don't actually challenge your dexterity or co-ordination whatsoever. I know it's nothing like playing an actual guitar/drums/whatever, but it's something nice to chill out and play every once in a while. I mean, like mingot said, it's so easy to pick up and play (if you're remotely competent) and you don't have to worry about tricky stuff like you do when playing an actual instrument.

My favourite Guitar Hero game is World Tour, since it has the best song list I reckon. Nothing matches the three Tool songs on World Tour on any other Guitar Hero, along with a few other songs in particular.

What I do not like about Guitar Hero is people forming opinions of a band based on the songs floating around on the game. I mean, I like Shiver, and that made me download Coldplay because maybe they weren't as crap as I originally thought, but turns out they are. But if I heard Shiver and said "fuck yeah Coldplay are awesome" I'd have to call myself a (BAN ME PLEASE).

It made me also check out Lacuna Coil (who are awesome) and probably a few others who I don't remember. It's quite good to find a few bands, since a few of the songs were by bands I'd never even heard of before, which was good and bad. Also it gave me increased appreciation for the bands since I was playing, say, Schism on bass and was thinking throughout the song "how the fuck do Tool play this song with actual instruments", it gave me much more respect for their skill.

Man this post is long for no apparent reason.

Also I play bass on Hard usually, but can do Expert on some songs.

I mostly play Rock Band for the Wii. I picked up the drums and disc for GHWT once, it didn't end well. My drums broke on the second day I played them. After that I took a hiatus from playing Rock Band, and now I'm starting to play the plastic guitar. In fact, I'm playing right now! I can play all the songs on Hard (except Visions but really who cares) and I'm currently trying to play Expert. I also used to play drums, but then my drum kit broke twice. I'm planning to buy a new set at GameStop tomorrow. I can play most of the songs on expert, but not any of the "Impossible" ones (painkiller, panic attack).

On the "Play a real instrument" thing: I in fact do play a real guitar, and yet I find Rock Band much funner.

I actually own, but haven't yet played, World Tour. I've got all the songs on 3, and was playing through Aerosmith. (I _don't_ particularly like Aerosmith, I just bought the game because it was cheap, 8 quid I think.)

Question: Will Rock Band instruments work with Guitar Hero World Tour. The other day I saw a Rock Band instruments (only) pack for a pretty good price. I wouldn't mind a second guitar for when friends come round, and the drums would be a bonus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)