Ability: No Ability
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Outrage
They're garbage.

The Blastoise offers no support and is CurseLax bait. Blastoise is not even viable with its best set.

The Gengar neither Explodes nor Destiny Bonds. How does it threaten or secure kills?

Scizor, Slowbro, and Arcanine are barely viable even with their best sets, much less Quick Claw.

Who does this fucking Dragonite hit for more than 25%?

Go look at and use some samples to see what good sets look like.

How come Gen 2 is the only gen where there's no restrictions to Baton Pass? Is it just that bad here?

EDIT: Probably not "only" but... a good portion of them do have a baton pass clause or something of the sort

How come Gen 2 is the only gen where there's no restrictions to Baton Pass? Is it just that bad here?

EDIT: Probably not "only" but... a good portion of them do have a baton pass clause or something of the sort
No Magic Bounce and no Taunt to prevent Roar/Whirlwind, moves that are present in 95% of teams, even in the most offensive ones.

Also, unfortunately there is one restriction. Mean Look/Spider Web + Baton Pass is banned, my Umbreon is sad.

Hello,

I'm hoping this is the right place for this, since it's the only place I could find to ask a question. I wanted to ask how the stat rollover thing in GSC works. For context, I was in an OU battle and I had brought in Skarmory to hold off my opponent's Snorlax. I was confused because Snorlax used Double-Edge, the message " In Gen 2, a stat will roll over to a small number if it is larger than 1024." and my Skarmory took 63% from an unboosted, resisted attack. I felt very cheated in the moment and didn't really know how to respond. I tried to look up this interaction but didn't see anything. I assume this is just something I don't know about gen 2, but I was hoping someone could clear it up so I don't feel as cheated here. Thank you for any responses.

Edit: Also I had reflect up when the attack took place.

Here is the replay, it happens on turn 16.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen2ou-1813148905-84ivnj27tj1xa1ab7mncczsin6kxxi2pw

Last edited:
Hi I'm new to the GSC metagame, i was planning to use Pikachu as a lead, what kind of team should i build around it?
Edit: and yes i know about Snorlax

Hi I'm new to the GSC metagame, i was planning to use Pikachu as a lead, what kind of team should i build around it?
Edit: and yes i know about Snorlax
I'm not horribly farmiliar with GSC but I had a few thoughts

- I don't see why you'd want to lead Pikachu, unless it's specifically to beat Cloyster. Pikachu doesn't have a lot of bulk and a suicide quest doesn't seem like a great use of it honestly?
- Also you might wanna try something more mainstream if you're just starting out because Pikachu is really hard to use in general (it doesn't take any hits remotely well)

I'm not horribly farmiliar with GSC but I had a few thoughts

- I don't see why you'd want to lead Pikachu, unless it's specifically to beat Cloyster. Pikachu doesn't have a lot of bulk and a suicide quest doesn't seem like a great use of it honestly?
- Also you might wanna try something more mainstream if you're just starting out because Pikachu is really hard to use in general (it doesn't take any hits remotely well)
So should i use Cloyster insted if so what kind of team should i build around it?

So should i use Cloyster insted if so what kind of team should i build around it?
Cloyster fits in all kind of teams, it's one of the best GSC Mons. If you want to use it with Pikachu, an example team could be this:
-Cloyster.
-Zapdos.
-Snorlax.
-Golem.
-Gengar/Exeggutor (choose whatever you like more).
-Pikachu.

Generic Boom offense team, but with Pikachu as second electric. Won't be a Top Tier team, but will get enough wins.

I'm trying to do a potential Rentals 6v6 Format analysis and I wanted to save a bunch of the sets to do some calcs on them. Is there a way to edit stat exp and then save the set?

FriendOfMrGolem120

aka. FOMG
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
On Sulcalc you can edit stat experience/EVs for GSC, unlike on the official PS Damage Calculator. The team import button seems to be broken, at least it doesn't work on my end - so I believe it's currently not possible to save your custom sets there.

I'll move this post to the GSC Simple Question, Simple Answer Thread.

On Sulcalc you can edit stat experience/EVs for GSC, unlike on the official PS Damage Calculator. The team import button seems to be broken, at least it doesn't work on my end - so I believe it's currently not possible to save your custom sets there.

I'll move this post to the GSC Simple Question, Simple Answer Thread.
That link seems broken. Do you have another?

Looks like Sulcalc is down :psysad:. I am still able to use it. In this thread Sulcata states that it can be used offline, so everything needed seems to be already stored in my browser.
I found a workaround you might be interested in. It's a little iffy but it gets the job done. Simply use gen 3 on the calc. There are a few issues with pokemon that have more than 100 EVs added to each stat, but otherwise it does what it needs to.

Siatam

is a Tutoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
RoA Leader
Bulbapedia states that critical hits in GSC are 6.64% (17/256 as opposed to 16/256). I can't find sources stating this pretty much anywhere else. Is this documented properly somewhere? Is it implemented on PS? I'm mostly just curious
If this disassembly is anything to go by, yes the base crit chance in GSC is 17/256. (1/15) Edit: Unless Bulbapedia is also wrong and it's actually 17/255?

PS source code calculates it as 1/16. Lines 545-552, the critical (heh) part being the "16" on line 548.
Code:
let critRatio = this.battle.runEvent('ModifyCritRatio', source, target, move, move.critRatio || 0);
            critRatio = this.battle.clampIntRange(critRatio, 0, 5);
            const critMult = [0, 16, 8, 4, 3, 2];
            let isCrit = move.willCrit || false;
            if (typeof move.willCrit === 'undefined') {
                if (critRatio) {
                    isCrit = this.battle.randomChance(1, critMult[critRatio]);
I believe PS is calculating crit odds incorrectly. Nice catch.

Marty can you verify?

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Bulbapedia states that critical hits in GSC are 6.64% (17/256 as opposed to 16/256). I can't find sources stating this pretty much anywhere else. Is this documented properly somewhere? Is it implemented on PS? I'm mostly just curious
If this disassembly is anything to go by, yes the base crit chance in GSC is 17/256. (1/15) Edit: Unless Bulbapedia is also wrong and it's actually 17/255?

PS source code calculates it as 1/16. Lines 545-552, the critical (heh) part being the "16" on line 548.
Code:
let critRatio = this.battle.runEvent('ModifyCritRatio', source, target, move, move.critRatio || 0);
            const critMult = [0, 16, 8, 4, 3, 2];
                if (critRatio) {
                    isCrit = this.battle.randomChance(1, critMult[critRatio]);
I believe PS is calculating crit odds incorrectly. Nice catch.

Marty can you verify?
Nice catch indeed; it'll be fixed on PS shortly.
Diff:
-           const critMult = [0, 16, 8, 4, 3, 2];
+           const critMult = [0, 17, 32, 64, 85, 128];
                if (critRatio) {
-                   isCrit = this.battle.randomChance(1, critMult[critRatio]);
+                   isCrit = this.battle.random(256) < critMult[critRatio];
                }
            }

Hello. I am logging back into my ancient account from when I was 16 to ask one question about a metagame I'm not super familiar with: how exactly do you breed Present and Heal Bell on Chansey/Blissey, since the necessary parents are mutually exclusive and mothers don't pass on moves in GSC? Thanks in advance.

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
Hello. I am logging back into my ancient account from when I was 16 to ask one question about a metagame I'm not super familiar with: how exactly do you breed Present and Heal Bell on Chansey/Blissey, since the necessary parents are mutually exclusive and mothers don't pass on moves in GSC? Thanks in advance.
Granbull learns both Present and Heal Bell and can pass them on, though I'm not sure why it's not listed as a possible parent for Present on Bulbapedia

Alright gsc uubl confuses me. Explain why these pokemon are banned from uu. Smeargle,clefable,venusaur,muk, donphan, porygon 2, and meganium. Like smeargle especially confuses me on how it's still uubl when you've banned baton pass in gsc uu.

BeeOrSomething

Daylight Savings Time sucks
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Alright gsc uubl confuses me. Explain why these pokemon are banned from uu. Smeargle,clefable,venusaur,muk, donphan, porygon 2, and meganium. Like smeargle especially confuses me on how it's still uubl when you've banned baton pass in gsc uu.
Tiering decisions done by gsc players on azure heights 10 years ago and (to my knowledge) smeargle in 2016 decided what was and wasn't bl, treating it as more of a borderline tier rather than a banlist, similar to adv's large BL.

Some of these pokemon like Smeargle and Muk would potentially be fine in UU (though side note baton pass as a whole isn't banned in UU, only agility + baton pass), though it would take a lot of community interest and time to get them tested. Though I can definitely say a good deal of BL pokemon like Porygon2, Houndoom, and Jolteon would almost definitely be overpowered in UU and deserve their BL spot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)