ORAS OU Grandmaster (Medicham HO) Peak #63 OU

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

I don't consider myself a great ladder player, and I have actually peaked higher than this on the ladder before. However this is during OLT so the competition is a lot fiercer than usual once you actually reach higher ladder - I have faced players such as Leftiez, M Dragon, and PDC in the past few days - so I feel that this was more difficult to achieve than my previous high peak.

Preface:

Recently I was added to the OU Teambuilder's Workshop. I was grateful for the opportunity and had gotten to the point where I finally thought my team building skills were good enough to build teams for others and share them.

This isn't the first team that I built for the shop, but it is currently my favorite and I've been laddering a ton with it. I may peak higher than this at some point but I feel like at this point I just wanted to post it.

Teambuilding Process:

The core that I chose to take on was Mega Medicham + Pursuit Weavile (for the fat psychics that wall Medicham)

I then added Azumarill since it's simply stellar on hyper offensive builds and checks a shit ton of things.

Next I added Thundurus as my emergency button and special wallbreaker / sweeper.

I needed a revenge killer, plus my team was weak to a bunch of different things such as Talonflame, offensive fairies and Serperior so I added ScarfTran

Last up needed Stealth Rocks and who better than Garchomp the God since I was lacking switchins to just about everything from Bisharp to Mega Lopunny.

Team In Depth:

grandmaster (Medicham) @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch

Mega Medicham is so insanely powerful. Once touted for its ability to pressure many balance builds, these days I think its actually quite strong against offense too, especially if running a dual priority set like this one. Jolly Nature just because Adamant isn't really needed for much and Jolly beats out some lower speed tier positive nature stuff as well as losing a speed tie at worst to other base 100s. Bullet Punch forms the dual priority core and does a shit ton to mega fairies - it cleanly OHKOs Diancie and has a shot to bop Gardevoir after Rocks. Being able to pick off weakened threats is really clutch too.

assassin (Weavile) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

Weavile is a god right now, applying a ton of pressure to most offense and even some balance teams that rely on things like Torn-T as speed control. Medicham pressures Weavile's already limited number of checks, primarily things like Clefable and Klefki, while Weavile threatens fat psychic types that can cockblock Medicham. Pursuit is basically just to eliminate those things. After using all variants of Weavile extensively I find that this is generally the most useful fourth moveslot especially on HO for removing Latis, although Low Kick is really nice sometimes too.

tsunami (Azumarill) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Power-Up Punch

Offense has almost no safe switch-ins to this thing and even bulkier builds can struggle to stop it. It's my Zard X / Weavile / Sand Offense / etc check. I'm running a weird set that if you've followed any of my posts you have probably seen me talk about by now. Lum + PuP is a set that I've really taken a liking to lately. PuP was always one of my favorite things to use on AV Azu because while it's not a massive threat like BD, the cost of setting up is so much lower and you still become fairly powerful. I'm using a Lum Berry here because this is my team's only real Keldeo switch-in, and it is my lead against Mega Sableye which is a bit of a bastard for this team. The EVs outspeed Clefable with the rest in bulk since I kinda need it sometimes. On Band sets I tend to run more speed but the bulk is a bit helpful here.

divine judgment (Thundurus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Focus Blast

It was not so long ago that some people were calling for Thundurus to drop in the viability rankings. With Hoopa-U in the mix, offense is back on the rise and Thundurus is once again quite fearsome. When I originally built the team I had Grass Knot for Hippowdon and Quagsire, but since it's not a Nasty Plot variant, Quag stall can beat this set with Chansey anyway and the rest of my team doesn't have much trouble with Hippowdon. I opted to run HP Flying instead, as it gives pretty good neutral coverage and lures Mega Venusaur for Azumarill. HP Ice can also work here (and I find myself wishing I had it sometimes) just because Thundurus is a monster against offense regardless.

vulcan furnace (Heatran) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge

Choice Scarf Heatran is still good. It's an excellent glue on this team since it gives me a Lati switch-in (I don't have to do 50 50s with Azu / Weavile), a switch in to fairy STAB, Serperior, Venusaur, Wisp Talonflame and a bunch of other stuff. Being a switch-in while also being a Choice Scarf user is a pretty rare attribute that I'd say only a few mons have and Heatran is one of them. Its wonderful defensive typing doesn't go to waste on this offensive set because it can switch in to multiple things and retaliate while still retaining enough HP to be a threat later on. The set itself is pretty basic, but I went with Fire Blast > Overheat for late game sweeps. This helps with Clefables that aren't at +1 and is my general go-to Fairy check and revenge killer.

retribution (Garchomp) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic

Rocky Helmet Chomp is so valuable in this metagame for offense and is a pretty solid win condition at times. The set is standard with 4 EVs allocated from HP to speed to creep other chomps while taking less Spikes damage. Opted for Toxic in the last slot to lure stuff like Hippo and particularly Slowbro which can be a real pain in the ass. Yeah this is my switch-in to Bisharp, Mega Lopunny and Mega Metagross and is also a secondary Talonflame check after Heatran. Originally had some SpDef on this Chomp but I think outspeeding Bisharp is really important on this team.

grandmaster (Medicham) @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch

assassin (Weavile) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

tsunami (Azumarill) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Power-Up Punch

divine judgment (Thundurus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Focus Blast

vulcan furnace (Heatran) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge

retribution (Garchomp) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic

Shout out to LightYamani who originally requested the core. Cool core man and I'm glad I chose to build around it. This is a slightly updated version of the team so if you're still using it be sure to check this out.

Everyone who's a friend knows who they are and hopefully won't be insecure when I'm too lazy to shout them all out individually. :)

Threat List:

Cresselia is a bitch and a half for this team. Basically relies on things like Toxic from Garchomp or T-Wave hax from Thundy combined with being able to get Weavile in against it. Since it's usually found on full stall, even the status stuff isn't all that helpful.

Slowbro is pretty similar to Cresselia but is less annoying because Thundurus bops it and it just isn't as bulky. Regenerator is pretty annoying though and honestly Toxic on Garchomp is pretty much for this mon.

Clefable is pretty annoying since it can actually beat Heatran after setting up a CM. Fortunately non Unaware variants are susceptible to PuP Azu which forces them to kill it while getting weakened in the process, allowing another team member to clean up the mess.

Keldeo can be a threat if it is well played and my Azumarill is weakened. I have ways to hit and revenge Keldeo but a lack of reliable switch-ins makes it a threat.

Charizard Y is something I don't have a switch-in for.

Offensive fairies are also difficult to switch into, but at least they can't just spam STAB.

Gengar / Hoopa U / Hydreigon are pokemon that I don't have great switch-ins for either, although Weavile puts in a lot of work against them.

Mega Manectric is a threat; I can't reliably stop it from Volt Switching once Chomp is slightly weakened, and it checks most of my team pretty well. I usually rely on getting some chip damage with priority and Stealth Rock and using Heatran to check it.

Mega Sableye stall is a problem if Azu can't lure it.

Hazard stacking in general is a bitch since I have no removal. I kind of hate hazard removal in this metagame since all the removers are totally linear outside of Latios which I don't want to put on every team. Gotta play this team fast paced and don't let the opponent set up all their hazards on you or it's probably a loss.

Overall although the team is not perfect, I feel that it is pretty strong and gives me a reasonable shot against most other teams bar certain stall squads mostly.

I hope you enjoyed reading my RMT and any feedback is greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey hi how's it going dude

I like this team. I do think there are a few changes you can make to improve it. Given how much of an issue clefable is, a possibility is poison Jab over pursuit on weavile. This let's you 2HKO it on the switch. Slowbro does become a bit more annoying, but it's something to try out and test.

Another thing you could try is the tank chomp set that runs spdef, and use stone edge over toxic. This let's you have something to switch into zard y, as opposed to absolutely nothing. I don't think you lose too much out of this other than not being able to toxic hippos and landos and the like, so that's another thing to try out.

Other than that, I can't really think of anything else that needs to be changed. Thunderpunch over bullet punch on Medicham helps with slowbro, but as you said its useful for garde and diancie so I don't feel strongly at all about this. Cool team. Hope I helped.

sets:

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Stone Edge

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Poison Jab

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)