Pokémon Gourgeist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Add trick-or-treat and shadow ball for sure, i'd also give it a quick claw, just in case.
Trick-or-Treat and Quick Claw are trash. ToT doesn't override the enemy's type, which is the only reason why Soak was ever useful, and QC is too unreliable to work when you need it.

Trick-or-Treat and Quick Claw are trash. ToT doesn't override the enemy's type, which is the only reason why Soak was ever useful, and QC is too unreliable to work when you need it.
If you were going to use ToT, use Shadow Sneak with it instead of quick claw.

I didn't see it in this thread, but how is the size influenced by breeding? Like if you got a female super size one and bred it, the babies would all be super size or random?

Thanks.

Hmmm, so many new choices for a team. I might make one with Gourgeist, Dragalge and MMawile included, with perhaps Mienshao thrown in. Decisions, decisions...

This thing is actually pretty difficult to deal with... the kind of Pokemon what don't mind coming in on the offensive set generally don't appreciate a burn and struggle to outdamage Leech Seed when they are burned. Heatran is probably the number one counter but even that can't take two Phantom Forces from CB Gourgeist-H so it can only come in once.

Incidentally, this thing actually beats CB Terrakion one-on-one, taking 49% max from CB Stone Edge and prooceding to burn, pain split and KO with Seed Bomb.

I can't wait to get my hands on one of these cuties. I have a few ideas on what to do with her. One is on a double team with FLorges. Flower Veil and Grass Terrain combined with Gougeists High defences and Leech seed AND WoW? That thing will not go down. The Grass Boost from Grass Terrain will make Seed Bomb hurt even more as well.

Seed Bomb
WoW
Shadow Sneak
Leech Seed

As for a single's. I have a few ideas.

FLame CHarge
Seed Bomb
Phantom Force/Shadow Sneak
Pain Split/Leech Seed/WoW

Get a few Flame charges up to make her decently fast, then go to town. Last depends on if you want a more healing move over a shut down move or a Heal over time move. FLame charge may make you fast enough to get pain split before a few pokemon

Leech Seed
Substitute
WoW
SHadow Sneak/Seed Bomb

The set where you will not be killed at all. If an ally dropped grass Terrain you will not be KOed. This is probably the set to use on Small forms.

SHadow Sneak
Seed Bomb
GYro Ball
ROck Slide

The CHoice Band set. Capitalizes on Super forms heavy attack and very low speed. Gyro Ball will do ALOT of damage. ROck Slide is there mainly for the FLyers/Fires.

I wish we could see exactly what Egg moves she gets. I am curiouse what she can get from all her ghosts, and the Ralts Family.

I have two shinies, one Impish one Careful.

EDIT: Gourgeist is one of my favorite new pokemon, so I wanted to get at least one and then I ended up with two.
SO far from what I have seen I have liked it. I just need to catch it. I just keep getting slowed down by EV training, breeding, and playing 2 versions at once. Oh, and work doesn't help either :p

EDIT: Nice on the 2 shinies too. How does she look?

SO far from what I have seen I have liked it. I just need to catch it. I just keep getting slowed down by EV training, breeding, and playing 2 versions at once. Oh, and work doesn't help either :p

EDIT: Nice on the 2 shinies too. How does she look?

One is male, one is female.

I got Jack and Jill O' Lantern.

Also I haven't evolved either of them yet because my wifi stopped working.

EDIT: Also they are both supersize.

I wish Gourgeist's SpA wasn't as terrible. I'd really like to run an Assault vest set with Giga Drain, but with that special attack...

Uninvested Assault Vest Gourgeist reaches 279 SpD, and its uninvested defense is 282. An adamant max attack Gourgeist with assault vest has stats of:

374/ 328/ 282/ x/ 279/ 144

That's definitely a solid tank, with great typing. Obviously EV's can be moved around to target specific threats, or survive certain attacks. With resistances to the ever so common types Water, Electric, Fighting, Ground, and to a lesser extent normal, this thing can find quite an easy time switching in. With assault vest limiting it to attack moves, it really would like a usable giga drain for recovery, but it can still come in on things like starmie or rotom-w and easily do away with them.

I wish Gourgeist's SpA wasn't as terrible. I'd really like to run an Assault vest set with Giga Drain, but with that special attack...

Uninvested Assault Vest Gourgeist reaches 279 SpD, and its uninvested defense is 282. An adamant max attack Gourgeist with assault vest has stats of:

374/ 328/ 282/ x/ 279/ 144

That's definitely a solid tank, with great typing. Obviously EV's can be moved around to target specific threats, or survive certain attacks. With resistances to the ever so common types Water, Electric, Fighting, Ground, and to a lesser extent normal, this thing can find quite an easy time switching in. With assault vest limiting it to attack moves, it really would like a usable giga drain for recovery, but it can still come in on things like starmie or rotom-w and easily do away with them.
Can she learn Horn leech? I have not seen anyone try. If she could... then this would be a VERY solid pokemon.

/Assault Vest
Horn Leach
FLame CHarge
SHadow Sneak/Phantom Force
ROck Slide

EDIT: That is SO ADORABLE Green. I want one

I'm in love with Gourgeist <3

I've been breeding some super-sized Pumpkaboos with 31IVs in Attack... Trick room set the best to go for? Or something like, Seed Bomb, Phantom Force, WoW and Leech Seed?

is there any reason to have a small one with higher base speed he could make use of flame charge to bring his speed above other things while also being bulkier than some things. Reason i ask honestly is i caught a shiny one thats small and at least wanna play through campign with it lol

is there any reason to have a small one with higher base speed he could make use of flame charge to bring his speed above other things while also being bulkier than some things. Reason i ask honestly is i caught a shiny one thats small and at least wanna play through campign with it lol
First, congrats on the shiny. I was planning to use flame charge on mine when I get one. It seems to be frowned upon here but I like it. You can also go with the sub/seed set that a lot of people seem to like on their small ones.

I liked Trevenant a lot before, but his horrible movepool and stats made me think twice. This is my new Ghost/Grass to go, I really love the versatility it has!!

I liked Trevenant a lot before, but his horrible movepool and stats made me think twice. This is my new Ghost/Grass to go, I really love the versatility it has!!
I really want to know if we can get Horn Leech on our pretty pumpkin. If so... that would be amazing

i might be wrong but i think it pairs well with charizard as they split resistances pretty well unless im mistaken and grass dosent actually resist rock i would think if it dosen't get better stabs then the flame charge would be a little redundant as it wouldnt be able to deal enough damage so we will have to see what its final stabs are

BST is the same between formes, so small ones aren't "supposed" to be weaker or anything; it's just a different distribution. I don't think Flame Charge in particular would be optimal but there's definitely stuff you could give him for Small Size.

BST is the same between formes, so small ones aren't "supposed" to be weaker or anything; it's just a different distribution. I don't think Flame Charge in particular would be optimal but there's definitely stuff you could give him for Small Size.
i mean th eonly reason to use flame charge is to rbing up speed and hit other grass trying to wall it the size determins what defense and or hp and attacks and speed

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
There's a reason why Flame Charge isn't used competitively. I've already addressed this twice now:
It's 50 power non-STAB and does pitiful damage even though Gourgeist's attack is much higher:

0 Atk (custom) Flame Charge vs. 252 HP / 48+ Def Ferrothorn: 104-124 (29.54 - 35.22%) -- possible 4HKO
0 SpA (custom) Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 208 SpD Ferrothorn: 152-180 (43.18 - 51.13%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Also Super Size Gourgeist is so slow that it would take 2-3 boosts to actually outspeed things. No opponent is going to give you that many free turns... on top of that, there's no reason to boost your speed if you're using Shadow Sneak since it has priority anyway.
It would take 2 wasted turns to get Super Size up to Small form's speed, no opponent is just going to sit there and let you boost for free.

As much as I love our new Pumpkin friends, if you think Trevenant has a horrible movepool you're completely mistaken. Gourgeist is the one with the horrible movepool: Trevenant has Earthquake, Shadow Claw, Horn Leech, Wood Hammer, X-Scissor, and even Poison Jab, and Gourgeist doesn't get any of those moves. If you want a Pokemon with better attacking options and more reliable recovery, Trevenant's the way to go.

However, Gourgeist does have a ton of versatilty, much better physical defenses, and Shadow Sneak for priority. Small forms are much better at utilizing WoW and Leech Seeding. It also packs a potent TR set with Explosion. You should try both and see which strengths are most important for your team!

Edit: myself and others have been testing Egg moves in the research thread, and sadly the most notable moves can't be passed to Gourgeist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)