Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, Peef Rimgar is ded and just about every single core from the old thread is ridiculously outdated (half of them aren't even legal, altaria + camerupt gogogo), so I'll be making a new one that actually has someone to update the archive. OP modified from the old thread.

Welcome to the PU Good Cores thread, where you can post, discuss, and debate about an essential part of teambuilding: Cores, and the synergy between certain Pokemon.

Effective cores are very important in competitive Pokemon. Defensive cores rely on covering a lot of attacking types and common threats within the core, while also offering team support, so that the core is useful even when walled. On the other hand, offensive cores still like having the common attacking types covered between its members, but offensive synergy is most important. Be it one member of the core attracting Pokemon that another member can easily switch into and force out, one member luring and weakening the checks and counters of another, or one member being able to beat the Pokemon that the other can't, those are the characteristics that are wanted from a good offensive core. Finally, there are mixed or balanced cores, as well as support and pivoting cores, which blend in into offensive and defensive cores. Support or pivoting elements in cores aim to either provide easier switch-in and set up chances to offensive Pokemon, or help to wall and stall out the opponent in the case of defensive cores.

The point of the project is to help teambuilders, newcomers, and other battlers to assist them in helping building their teams. Therefore, please don't post bad examples. Post cores that truly work and be ready to defend why. For example, Sneasel + Mightyena is a good offensive core because they break down each other's counters so that the other one can sweep. However, Gourgeist + Tangela is not such a good defensive core because their roles overlap and they stack weaknesses with one another. If you wish to post a core, please make sure to explain how each member of the core works to help each other out. There has to be a reason why the Pokemon is there and not simply tacking on two random Pokemon!

Let's go! I'll be picking out the ones I like and archiving it here. When posting cores, please provide an explaination of why the core works, an importable, and preferably sprites, which can be retrieved here. Note: I reserve the right to make minor changes to cores posted if I feel like they improve the core.

url-1.jpg
url.jpg
i figured i would start the thread off with an offensive core. although it's an obvious and overused core it's for good reason. Choice Scarf Raichu and Choice Band Scyther compliment each other extremely well and are able to easily keep offensive momentum on most teams. while Raichu struggles with common grass types such as Gourgeist, Scyther can easily deal with them. Bulkier attackers like Throh who beat Raichu 1v1 are taken care of by Scyther. Although Scyther struggles with pokemon such as Avalugg, Raichu is able to 2HKO it with Focus Blast. Raichu is able to prevent other Raichu/Rotom-Frost/Zebstrika from gaining momentum with Volt Switch on Scyther. this core along with a pokemon to take on Bastiodon (which isn't that hard lol) and Piloswine, is a deadly core sure to take on most teams fairly well.

Raichu @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Lightning Rod

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

- Volt Switch

- Thunderbolt

- Focus Blast

- Hidden Power [Water]

Scyther @ Choice Band

Ability: Technician

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- U-turn

- Aerial Ace

- Knock Off

- Quick Attack

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i figured i would start the thread off with an offensive core. although it's an obvious and overused core it's for good reason. Choice Scarf Raichu and Choice Band Scyther compliment each other extremely well and are able to easily keep offensive momentum on most teams. while Raichu struggles with common grass types such as Gourgeist, Scyther can easily deal with them. Bulkier attackers like Throh who beat Raichu 1v1 are taken care of by Scyther. Although Scyther struggles with pokemon such as Avalugg, Raichu is able to 2HKO it with Focus Blast. Raichu is able to prevent other Raichu/Rotom-Frost/Zebstrika from gaining momentum with Volt Switch on Scyther. this core along with a pokemon to take on Bastiodon (which isn't that hard lol) and Piloswine, is a deadly core sure to take on most teams fairly well.

Raichu @ Choice Scarf

Timid Nature

- Volt Switch

- Thunderbolt

- Focus Blast

- Hidden Power [Water]

Scyther @ Choice Band

Ability: Technician

Jolly Nature

- U-turn

- Aerial Ace

- Knock Off

- Quick Attack
Raichu gets surf, so unless you really need an electric immunity and least slash that with HP water if not replace

Might as well post the example core from the op

+

The premise of this core is incredibly simple. Sneasel wears down Poliwrath and Throh so that Mightyena can have an easier time sweeping. I guess you could also do it the other way around and use Mightyena to wear them down for SD Sneasel, but this core works better with LO Sneasel tbh since it wears Poliwrath and Throh down a lot faster. There's really nothing else to say about this core, it works pretty well from what I've used of it and is really fun to use to except for the fact that both of these pokemon are blind.

Mightyena @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Sucker Punch
- Crunch
- Play Rough
- Iron Tail

Sneasel @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Low Kick
- Ice Shard

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Imma go and post an offensive core of my own

+

Simple Normal spam core. Tauros is an amazing pokemon that rips through plenty of pokemon with its range of moves backed with Sheer Force + Life Orb. Tauros is crippled by burns (as well as Solrock as this set isn't running Iron Tail/Head) which is where Ursaring comes in and not only takes the burn (or any status for that matter) and rips holes in teams with Guts STAB Facade combined with Close Combat and Crunch helping Tauros ease the burden off its shoulders to deal out heavy damage. Jolly is run on Ursaring to speed tie with neutral max speed base 65 pokemon like Flareon and Heatmor.

Tauros (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Climb
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Ursaring @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Protect

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Nice core
+

Swoobat @ Salac Berry
Ability: Simple
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Signal Beam

Throh (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Def / 32 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Storm Throw
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

The aim of this core is basically to wear or KO Swoobats checks and counters with throh, allowing it to sweep. Looking at swoobats checks&counters you can see a bit of a trend: Lickilicky/Sneasel/Piloswine/Bastiodon/Regice. Hulk Throh smashes them all. It can also wear down pokes like Grumpig, who have to be slightly weakened in order for Swoobat to sweep. I prefer restalk throh as it is prone to getting warn down, but toxic + taunt set also beats the same pokes, it just dislikes switching in too many times.

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
+

Carracosta @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Synthesis
- Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

I've got a defensive core for you guys this time. Carracosta and Roselia cover each other's weaknesses really well imo. Carracosta takes the physically based flying, ice and fire attacks aimed at Roselia, then sets up rocks or uses knock off as what you countered switches out. In return, Roselia takes the specially based fighting, grass and electric attacks aimed at Carracosta, then uses spikes or sludge bomb as your opponent switches out to something that threatens Roselia.

To give you a few examples, Sneasel, CB Flareon, Scyther all OHKO Roselia, but even Flareon's Superpower (CB or Guts, doesn't matter) doesn't 2HKO Carracosta with the attack drop factored in. Sneasel's +2 LO boosted Low Kick has a ~50% chance to 2HKO Carracosta, but it can't setup in Carracosta's face without getting OHKO'd by Stone Edge. Scyther does even less than Sneasel / Flareon: 252 Atk Jolly CB Scyther's Brick Break is a paltry 4HKO on Carracosta, and in return is easily OHKO'd by Stone Edge. This of course works in the opposite direction, as Roselia takes very little damage from pokemon like Tangela and Raichu.

This core is Ninetales and Throh weak however, so having a counter to these pokemon in tandem with Carracosta and Roselia is advisable.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Normal spam is innovative as fuck
+

Bouffalant @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Substitute
- Earthquake / Stone Edge / Iron Head

Tauros (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Naive Nature
- Rock Climb
- Earthquake / Thunder
- Fire Blast
- Zen Headbutt

So double bull is super cool as a way to break down both offensive and defensive teams. Both these Pokemon share similar counters so it's really simple to use one to break down the answers to the other. For example, Misdreavus is a pretty solid physical threat that can stop EQ Bouffalant from sweeping a stall team. Enter Tauros who sacrifices itself to a burn in exchange for Zen Headbutting the crap out of the ghost for Bouffalant to sweep the stall team. In exchange, Bouffalant can use it's general bulk to take a couple of attacks from offense and weaken from of Tauros' checks (i.e. Golem, Carracosta, Piloswine, Poliwrath) so that Tauros can go on a late game clean and killing spree. Naturally they don't share much defensive type synergy so you need to have the rest of your team be either really solid defensively to take attacks or go balls to the wall offense in lieu of that.

Sets are fairly standard with Bouffalant altered depending on what you like to hit. Speed EVs on Bouff beat max speed Adamant Golem. Tauros can also run Thunder over Earthquake to hit Pelipper and Barbaracle harder at the expense of Golem and Gigalith.

Last edited:

MZ

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
689.png538.png
Barbaracle @ White Herb/Focus Sash/Wacan Berry
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Aerial Ace
- Razor Shell
- Stone Edge
Throh (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Def / 32 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Knock Off
- Storm Throw

SS Barbaracle used to be a premier threat, but nobody uses it anymore. However, looking at a list of checks and counters shows just how well throh handles them. It can take on and cripple and/or totally counter tangela, torterra, poliwrath, other throh, scarfed raichu and tauros, purugly, sneasel, dusknoir, carracosta, kecleon, bouffalant, gourgeist, and prinplup. That's basically every relevant thing that checks/counters barb that throh can normally beat/cripple 1v1, leaving opposing teams open for barb to smash through them (hue). Also promoting wacan berry because you can smash on scarftom, scarfchu/ones that don't go for GK, and Zebstrika or electrode that don't go for HP grass (because nobody expects the wacan), as well as things like T-bolt haunter and mime and shit, although run sash if you have hazard support (the team I tested the core with doesn't and I don't like white herb).

Run swoobat for double throh core ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TONE

is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
With the tier shift happening, I'll post an offensive core I believe would work well.

+

In all honesty, I just love Scarfed Mr. Mime. Its Dual STAB combination lets it handle a lot of pokemon in the tier while also having Focus Blast at its disposal to nail Steel-types such as Pawniard. However, being locked into a move that Steel resists is a pain and it would rather want to spam its STAB moves as opposing to relying on Focus Blast to hit Steels. Magnet Pull Probopass is the best partner Mr. Mime could ask for as it can handle opposing Steel-types while also providing Stealth Rock support as well as a slow Volt Switch to get Mr. Mime in safely. Even a more defensive spread can work as Probopass' access to Toxic and Thunder Wave while still having Earth Power to handle opposing Steels. Mr. Mime helps out Probopass as well as it double resists Fighting which threatens Probopass.

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soundproof
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Healing Wish
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast / Trick

Probopass @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Earth Power

TONE

Also gonna post an hazard stacking core which I posted about in a sample team

+
+

Simple strategy with this core. Spike stack with Whirlipede, then either spinblock with Misdreavus or punish defoggers with Pawniard. Some pokemon can be switch out, for example using Purugly over Pawniard and any other Ghost-type over Misdreavus, however I prefer Misdreavus as not only does it have access to Taunt, but it has more reliable bulk than Haunter while also having access to Nasty Plot which makes up for it having lower Sp. Attack than Haunter.
Whirlipede @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Protect
- Endeavor

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

TONE

Now for a defensive core for a change of pace.

+
+

Defensive Fairy/Fighting/Steel core. Togetic with its access to Defog is a key for more defensive oriented teams combined with Toxic, Roost, and Dazzling Gleam or Seismic Toss allows it to hold it own. Probopass is immune to Poison and resists Ice for Togetic while being able to set up Stealth Rock and provide slow Volt Switchs for its teammates. Poliwrath provides shuffling capabilities with Circle Throw and rack up entry hazard damage in the process while resisting Ice, Rock, and Steel for Togetic and handling threatning Ground types for Probopass with Scald while also being a Knock Off absorber for both. This core is Raichu weak however, so having something to handle that is best.

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Dazzling Gleam / Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
- Circle Throw

Probopass @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Earth Power / Flash Cannon / Power Gem

+

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Jumpluff
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Seed Bomb

What does Pawniard hate? Fighting-types! What does Jumpluff get a free switch on? Fighting-types! While Ice Beam Poliwrath is a lot more common than it used to be, physical sets are still very common. Pawniard is normally just a free sub for Poliwrath, but Jumpluff is a fantastic partner that can take advantage of most Poliwrath sets with ease. Additionally, Jumpluff lures in Avalugg and puts it to sleep, which is conveniently a free setup opportunity for Pawniard. This core likes Spikes support as Pawniard naturally works well with them anyway thanks to Defiant and both of these Pokemon love their counters being worn down, which happens more quickly in this case since they get forced out a lot by the other Pokemon in the core.

MZ

026.gif
291.gif

Ninjask @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- X-Scissor
- Night slash

Raichu @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot

The text below is directly from Dundies's post with edits in bold (something happened to the quote for some reason ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ). Edits are in bold

Edit: Raichu is LO now because card Raichu is for nerds and jask is fast enough anyway tbh plus if you run timid you beat scarf rotom and mime so the only new things that outspeed and threaten the core are scarf Simipour, Haunter and Tauros, which nobody runs anyway rn

I figured i would start the thread off with an offensive core. although it's an obvious and overused core it's for good reason. Choice Scarf Life orb Raichu and Choice Band Scyther ninjask compliment each other extremely well and are able to easily keep offensive momentum on most teams. while Raichu struggles with common grass types such as Gourgeist, Scyther ninjask can easily deal with them. Bulkier attackers like Throh who beat Raichu 1v1 are taken care of by Scyther ninjask. Although Scyther struggles with pokemon such as Avalugg, Raichu is able to 2HKO it with Focus Blast. Raichu is able to prevent other Raichu/Rotom-Frost/Zebstrika from gaining momentum with Volt Switch on Scyther ninjask. This core along with a pokemon to take on Bastiodon probopass (which isn't that hard lol) and Piloswine, is a deadly core sure to take on most teams fairly well.​

Last edited:

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
+

Inspired by the Normal and Dark spam cores, this is a cool offensive Water spam core I've been playing around with lately. Double dance Kingler is an incredibly deadly sweeper and wallbreaker, but struggles with Poliwrath and bulky Grass-types such as Tangela and Torterra. That's where lure Carracosta comes into play. After a Shell Smash Carracosta can break through Poliwrath and more or less all bulky Grass-types with Zen Headbutt and Ice Beam, opening the way for Kingler to sweep. I run Jolly Carracosta because no Aqua Jet and Jolly is in my opinion better anyway to outspeed base 110 Speed and higher. This core obviously needs teammates to cover Grass and Electric, so Zebstrika and Grass-types like Roselia are good teammates. Roselia can also set up Spikes to guarantee the OHKO with Zen Headbutt after a Shell Smash on defensive Poliwrath.

Carracosta @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Beam

Kingler @ Life Orb
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Adamant Nature
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Agility

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Defensive Core:
+
+

Standard Quilladin + RestTalk Poliwrath + specially defensive Misdreavus is a nice stall core that I've been playing around with lately.

Quilladin
- Protects Poliwrath from Roselia: immune to Sludge Bomb, resists Giga Drain
- Protects Poliwrath from Torterra: is immune to both Seed Bomb and Bullet Seed, while resisting EQ and Wood Hammer
- Protects Poliwrath from random Energy Balls via Bulletproof
- Takes Electric hits for Poliwrath (is immune to Raichu's Focus Blast too)
- Protects Misdreavus from random Shadow Balls via Bulletproof
- Can Run a small amount of speed to outspeed RestTalk Poliwrath (40 Speed EVs) or 252 speed Carracosta (56 Speed EVs)
- Sets Spikes after it absorbs a hit, or Roars to shuffle and accumulate damage via Spikes

RestTalk Poliwrath
- Takes Ice / Fire / Bug attacks for Quilladin
- Takes Dark attacks for Misdreavus
- Takes Status for Quilladin and Misdreavus
- Knock Off absorb for Quilladin's and Misdreavus' Eviolites
- Accumulates entry hazard damage via Circle Throw
- Can run 4 Speed EVs to outspeed other RestTalk Poliwraths

Misdreavus
- Keeps Quilladin's Spikes on the field by absorbing Rapid Spins and taunting Defogs
- Takes Bug / Poison attacks aimed at Quilladin
- Takes special hits aimed at the core
- Can run a small amount of speed to burn Adamant 252 spe Pawniard (56 Speed EVs) before being hit by Knock Off

Add a spinner, something for Flying Spam and Stealth Rock, and you're all set.

Quilladin @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Synthesis
- Roar
- Wood Hammer

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
- Circle Throw

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
I'm going to post an offensive core based around Specs Chatot this time;

+
+
= PROFIT $$$

The basic idea is to remove anything that would wall Boomburst - these types being Rock, Steel and Ghost (and SDef Lickilicky).

Chatot
- Takes Ground hits for Probopass
- Sweeps with Specs Boomburst
- Either Heat Waves or U-Turns on opposing Mr. Mime switch ins
- HP Ground or Fighting on opposing Probopass switch ins (if Throh and Probopass haven't beaten enemy Probopass' already). Ground is useful for Electrode switch ins if it's low ladder, whereas Fighting is better normally

Probopass

- Takes Rock / Ice hits for Chatot
- Takes Flying / Psychic / Fairy hits for Throh
- Traps opposing Steel Types so that Chatot can sweep with Specs Boomburst
- Destroys opposing Rock or Ice types that would otherwise KO Chatot (e.g. Piloswine) with Flash Cannon or Earth Power
- Runs Air Balloon with more speed than standard Probopass to outspeed Piloswine and other Probopass that would trap and kill it otherwise (140 speed total)

Throh
- Destroys Ghosts with Knock Off for Chatot
- Takes Rock hits for Chatot
- Removes Probopass, Lickilicky, Piloswine with Storm Throw for Chatot
- Runs 60 Speed (141 speed total) to outpace these walls that stop Chatot
- Throh can be replaced with something with Pursuit after the Suspect is over if it's banned (Water Veil CB Floatzel is a nice choice to avoid doubling up on Fighting weaknesses and for taking Ghost type's Will-O-Wisps).

After this point, I'd add paralysis or Sticky Web support so that Chatot can outspeed things like Zebstrika, Raichu, Kadabra, Simipour, Rapidash (anything faster than base 91 speed), etc.

Chatot @ Choice Specs
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ground] / Hidden Power [Fighting]

Probopass @ Air Balloon
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock / Thunder Wave
- Volt Switch
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon

Throh (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 192 HP / 192 Atk / 32 Def / 32 SpD / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Storm Throw
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Last edited:

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Defensive core (technically balance but no balance section atm :[ ):
+

Pretty well known core. Pelipper and Piloswine have great type synergy as Piloswine is one of the best Electric counters in the tier, and Pelipper covers all of Piloswine's weaknesses except Grass which Piloswine hits super effectively with its Ice STAB. Pelipper removes entry hazards, Piloswine sets them. Unfortunately this core is broken by Raichu, which can defeat Piloswine with Focus Blast and obviously nails Pelipper with its Electric STAB, so having a teammate to defeat it needed. Other strong special attackers such as Ninetales and Beheeyem are also problematic, so something with good special bulk or just a revenge killer is nice.
Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog
- Air Slash / U-turn / Toxic

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Offensive core:

+

Pretty standard and simple sun core. Victreebel is one hell of a nuke in the sun, but struggles to get past dedicated special walls such as Lickilicky and Grumpig. Enter Leafeon, the physical sun sweeper, which sets up on those special walls after Victreebel has put them to sleep and has almost literally zero checks if sun is up. The core obviously needs a sun setter such as Carbink, Golem, or Volbeat, and preferable something that defeats Piloswine because Ice Shard is annoying (Leafeon tanks one though).
Victreebel @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Solar Beam
- Weather Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder

Leafeon @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Iron Tail

Offensive core:

+

Ninetales is a very threatening wallbreaker and sweeper, but still gets checked by a few defensive Pokemon, namely Lickilicky, specially defensive Zweilious, and Grumpig. Mixed Simipour just happens to lure all of them with the right move, allowing Ninetales to sweep afterwards. Simiour fails to 2HKO Grumpig without extensive entry hazard support, but it does weaken it enough for Ninetales to break through. Additionally, you can use Dark Pulse on Ninetales to defeat Grumpig. Both Simipour and Ninetales are not very fast (although by no means slow), leaving the core weak to Choice Scarf users and faster Pokemon such as Zebstrika and Kadabra in general. However, this problem can be solved with a good defensive core or just one or two other Pokemon to take advantage of revenge killers, depending on your team.
Simipour @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Low Kick
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

Ninetales @ Life Orb / Leftovers / Passho Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Psyshock / Dark Pulse / Substitute

I would post lesser known stuff but this thread seriously lacks some popular cores lol.

have seen/used all these cores before, they're definitely solid and pretty "standard" so they definitely should be added

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

shell smash carracosta + zebstrika is a purely offensive core. we all know shell smash carracosta struggles against fast pokemon that can outspeed it even at +2, especially Jumpluff and common bulkty-grass types that can tank a +2 hit such as Tangela and Gourgeist-Super. There comes zebstrika, a pokemon that , thanks to sap sipper, is able to counter jumpluff and check grass- and electric-types, which also give problems to carracosta, pretty well, other than being able to come in and revengekill bulky water-types. The ability choice for zebstrika makes it sorta versatile and depends from the team it is placed in, as a team could already have a grass check, so sap sipper won't be really useful as lightning rod. Lightning rod also gives a nice Special attack boost to Zebstrika, which doesn't have to be underestimated, especially by the opponent, as zebstrika is a really threatening special attacker thanks to its decent special attack and excellent speed, with a respectful coverage. Zebstrika also can't break through rock- and ground-types with ease so carracosta can help its job, being able to easily KO them, allowing zebstrika to run hp ice.

Carracosta @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper / Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice] / [Grass]
- Overheat

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
Posting an offensive core that I think is pretty cool in the current meta:

+

In the same way that Pawniard and Jumpluff form a competent offensive duo, Vigoroth can also make a nice partner to Jumpluff. Specially defensive Vigoroth can come in on most of Jumpluff's Checks and Counters, Taunt and proceed to Bulk Up. Sap Sipper Zebstrika, Jumpluff's most common Counter, is walled by SpD Vigoroth. If Vigoroth chooses to run full SpD (which is a usable option), then Zeb can only 4HKO with LO Tbolt.

Similarly, Avalugg and Piloswine are Taunted and setup on, as Avalugg can't do anything but a 3HKO with Avalanche before Bulk UP, and Piloswine's best bet is to pray for Skill Link. Vigoroth can also switch into Jumpluff's Sleep Powder, which is some nice added utility for teams that might struggle against Jumpluff.

Basically, anything with high special attack (and lacking Focus Blast) that hits Jumpluff SE can be used as setup fodder for Vig, whereas Jumpluff handles the fighting types like Poliwrath who attempt to switch in on Vigoroth.
Jumpluff
Jolly Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Seed Bomb
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance

Vigoroth @ Eviolite
Ability: Vital Spirit
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 176 SpD / 84 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Taunt
- Slack Off
- Frustration

252 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 176+ SpD Eviolite Vigoroth: 105-125 (28.8 - 34.3%) -- 2.4% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Vigoroth: 97-114 (26.6 - 31.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252+ Atk Piloswine Icicle Spear (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Vigoroth: 93-111 (25.5 - 30.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

0 Atk Avalugg Avalanche vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Vigoroth: 118-141 (32.4 - 38.7%) -- 98.4% chance to 3HKO

Offensive Core
+

So this core is pretty basic. Since SS Carracosta can use Zen Headbutt to lure Poliwrath in, it only really struggles to beat bulky Grass-types after a Shell Smash (yes, there are exceptions). Ninetales can easily take care of these Grass-types, namely Tangela, Gourgeist-Super, and Torterra with a Fire Blast at +2. Since Poliwrath is such a threat to this core before either of the two set up, Ninetales is holding a Passho Berry, allowing it to take a Water-type attack from Poliwrath, giving you a turn to set up a Nasty Plot, then you can Energy Ball. This core also gives you two win conditions.

Carracosta @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- Zen Headbutt
- Aqua Jet

Ninetales @ Passho Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Dark Pulse / Hidden Power Ground

also, the first two offensive cores are outdated Magnemite :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)