Project Good Cores in PU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by WhiteDMist
Stolen from the NU thread

Good Cores in XY PU

Welcome to the PU Good Cores thread, where you can post, discuss, and debate about an essential part of teambuilding: Cores, and the synergy between certain Pokemon.

Effective cores are very important in competitive Pokemon, and any good player uses them, intentionally or not. Defensive cores rely on covering a lot of attacking types and common threats within the core, while also offering team support, so that the core is useful even when walled. On the other hand, offensive cores still like having the common attacking types covered between its members, but offensive synergy is most important. Be it one member of the core attracting Pokemon that another member can easily switch into and force out, one member luring and weakening the checks and counters of another, or one member being able to beat the Pokemon that the other can't, those are the characteristics that are wanted from a good offensive core. Finally, there are mixed or balanced cores, as well as support and pivoting cores, which blend in into offensive and defensive cores. Support or pivoting elements in cores aim to either provide easier switch-in and set up chances to offensive Pokemon, or help to wall and stall out the opponent in the case of defensive cores.

The point of the project is to help teambuilders, newcomers, and other battlers to assist them in helping building their teams. Therefore, please don't post bad examples. Post cores that truly work and be ready to defend why. For example, Sneasel + Musharna is a good offensive Balanced (h8 you mike) core because they break down each other's counters so that the other one can sweep. However, Golem + Gigalith is not such a good defensive core because their roles overlap and they stack weaknesses with one another. If you wish to post a core, please make sure to explain how each member of the core works to help each other out. There has to be a reason why the Pokemon is there and not simply tacking on two random Pokemon!

Let's go! I'll be picking out the ones I like and archiving it here. When posting cores, please provide an explaination of why the core works, an importable, and preferably sprites, which can be retrieved here. Note: I reserve the right to make minor changes to cores posted if I feel like they improve the core.

Since nobody else seems to wanna post any cores yet.

Decent offensive core that I've had some success with so far.

Camerupt @ Choice Specs
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Eruption
- Flash Cannon/Other Coverage Move
- Fire Blast

and

Altaria @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Earthquake/Heal Bell
- Outrage/Dragon Claw

So the basis of the core is for camerupt to rip only holes so that altaria can set up and do a number to the other team. It can also work to draw out sneasel with altaria and hopefully get a shot in on it with camerupt. (Hence the HP)

A couple of calcs against A+/S rank mons.

Camerupt Vs. Sneasel
252+ SpA Choice Specs Camerupt Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sneasel: 264-312 (105.1 - 124.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Camerupt Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sneasel: 644-762 (256.5 - 303.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Camerupt: 222-263 (64.5 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Camerupt Vs. Band Scyther
252 SpA Choice Specs Camerupt Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Scyther: 560-660 (199.2 - 234.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Technician Scyther Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Camerupt: 262-309 (76.1 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Camerupt Vs. Tauros
252+ Atk Tauros Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Camerupt: 266-314 (77.3 - 91.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Camerupt Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tauros: 339-400 (116.4 - 137.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Altaria Vs. Defensive Musharna
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Altaria Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 298-352 (68.3 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 0 SpA Musharna Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Altaria: 196-232 (67.3 - 79.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Altaria Vs. SPA Musharna
+2 252+ SpA Musharna Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Altaria: 271-319 (93.1 - 109.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Altaria Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Musharna: 426-503 (97.7 - 115.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Altaria Vs. Specially Defensive Musharna
+2 4 SpA Musharna Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Altaria: 198-234 (68 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Altaria Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Musharna: 426-503 (97.7 - 115.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

The core handles the top threats in the tier pretty well. In addition it can handle almost all of the rest of the A ranks.

However the core is weak to Barbacle and Carcosta so tangrowth is a nice compliment to it.

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Offensive core:

Scyther @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Bug Bite
- Brick Break

Raichu @ Choice Specs
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Focus Blast

'Tis the standard VoltTurn core. The point of this core is to wear down the opponent by constantly being one step ahead of him, and wearing his pokemons down with hazard damage along with Volt Switch and U-turn. Scyther covers Raichu's Ground weakness, while Raichu covers Scyther's Electric weakness with Lightningrod.

A good teammate is Garbodor, as it can set up Spikes and Toxic Spikes to help wear down the opponents team. A Defogger or Rapid Spinner is necessary to keep hazards (especially Stealth Rocks) away.

Zebstrika can be used instead of Raichu.

We need a subforum, i did not even know this exists.
Offensive Core

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Rest
- Circle Throw
- Scald
- Sleep Talk

Swoobat @ Leftovers
Ability: Simple
EVs: 132 Def / 124 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stored Power
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Roost

Swoobat main counters are Dark and Ice-type, with the help of defensive poli you can counter them in any moment, meanwhile Swoobat can set up in Gour, non-taunt Serperior, Musha and others psychic-types than can try to break Poli.
Obviously, electric-types are a problem, Sash Trapinch, Light Raichu and Pilo are good team mates. Hazard support is a good thing to have, Roselia is the best option for spikes.

Some usefull calcs(because ya know,get one or two boost and you dont need calcs, just kill sh*t):
0 Atk Serperior Dragon Tail vs. 0 HP / 132 Def Swoobat: 45-54 (16.3 - 19.6%) -- possible 6HKO
0 Atk Gourgeist-Super Seed Bomb vs. 0 HP / 132 Def Swoobat: 57-67 (20.7 - 24.3%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
0 SpA Roselia Sludge Bomb vs. +2 0 HP / 0 SpD Swoobat: 79-94 (28.7 - 34.1%) -- 99.3% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Hello, I thought I would post my core team since there aren't too many cores on this thread, and my core includes musharna, whom is suspected at the moment, and prolly gonna get banned. Not sure if a core is strictly only 2 pokemon, but this has 4 :| I'll change it if necessary.
Balanced core
Trapinch @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- Superpower
- Crunch

Musharna @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell
- Calm Mind

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled

Krokorok @ Eviolite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Taunt

So, this team looks pretty weak because some pitiful BST pokes like clefairy, trapinch, and krok, but they work really well together, and I managed to get a 34/12 w/l ratio with this team, so not bad.

My intention with this team was to counter stall teams, and synchronize musharna and magic guard clefairy work well for boosting because they don't care about status, and clefairy doesn't care about leech seed. Clefairy and Musharna are the boosters that will be carrying the game, while trapinch and krokorok will support them by taking out their counters and threats. Clefairy and musharna essentially do the same thing, and trapinch and krok essentially do the same thing.

Trapinch - Trapinch is actually really good on this team because he can trap and 1hko some main stall pokemon including sp. defensive licky, garbodor, and bastiodon. Bastiodon and licky both counter musharna with phazing moves, so killing them first is important. He also takes care of steel or poisons that would be a problem for clefairy. Trapinch is a decent revenge killer with banded quick attack, though you need to know when you would be okay locked into quick attack. Max speed lets it not be the slowest pokemon ever, and at least outspeed base 40s.

252+ Atk Choice Band Trapinch Superpower vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Lickilicky: 374-440 (88.2 - 103.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Trapinch Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Bastiodon: 444-528 (137.4 - 163.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO (most bastiodon are Sp.def tho for mush)
252+ Atk Choice Band Trapinch Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Garbodor: 368-434 (101 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Krokorok - (I run 16 speed evs to outspeed base garbodor) Sometime's I'm unsure about Krok, and feel like he could just be eviolite sneasel, but running double EQ coverage seems important to get rid of poison/steels that threaten clefairy, and bastiodon for my musharna. Krokorok is also a solid counter to most forms of musharna and haunter, as he can knock off, and pursuit trap while resisting most their attacks. The main reason I consider krok on this team is because haunter threatens the other 3. Access to taunt really screws with stall too.

This core really hates sneasel, and less intensely, scyther. So something like rocky helm garbodor or avalugg fits nicely.

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Kricketune @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swarm
Jolly Nature
- Sticky Web
- Taunt
- Endeavor
- Knock Off

Purugly @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Fake Out
- Knock Off / Sucker Punch
- U-turn

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 140 HP / 184 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Taunt / Substitue / Will-O-Wisp / Thunderbolt
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

This is a very standard Sticky Web core. You have the setter, kricketune, the best (and my personal favourite). Leavanny can be used over it, its just a matter of preference. Then you have the defog taker/discourage-er, Purugly. Defiant allows it to switch into defog and get +2 attack, as well as getting an attack boost vs sticky web. It is also good support, being able to outspeed most pokes who fly, like scyther, whilst having priority, vital for offensive teams. Lastly is the Spinblocker, Misdreavus. The evs are to outspeed every thing up to zebstrika in webs, while being able to take a +2 scyther areal ace from full (scyther is threatening for webs) and the rest is dumped into spatk. Shadow ball is you stab, dazzling gleam hits darks, and is good neutral coverage. The last slot depends on what you want, sub is cool for blocking status + missy is good for tanking hits (licky knock off wont break it as well), taunt blocks status and defog, wisp in nice for scyther/slower physical attackers and lastly tbolt is good extra coverage and can ko mantine. This is pretty much a mould for sticky webs (not always missy, but most likely a spin blocker), as most webs teams do rely on sticky webs being up (team mates like sd kingler struggle to do anyhing without webs up).

More ppl post here. Stuff like this and sample teams help newer players learn the tier, whilst (hopefully) increase ladder quality

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm surprised that no one posted a spike stacking core with the meta centered around it at the moment.

Balanced core:

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Rock Blast / Seed Bomb / Thunderbolt

+

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 184 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split / Heal Bell / Hidden Power Fighting

+

Purugly @ Silk Scarf / Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch / U-Turn

This core works pretty simple. Garbodor sets up hazards on a lot of pokemon in the meta. Misdreavus is easily the best spinblocker, so the hazards Garbodor sets up won't be spinned away. Wartortle can still use Rapid Spin with Foresight, but is easily worn down. They can still be removed with Defog though, which is why Purugly is added to punish the opponent for Defogging.

Roselia is arguably better than Garbodor for stall teams because it has recovery, and can be used over it. Although Purugly is without doubt the best Defog punisher, Meowstic-F is actually a decent choice if you really don't want to use Purugly.

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I've been testing this core for a bit in PU and I have to say its been putting in work for me especially with the many viable cores u can make. Here's mine atm:

Camerupt @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power

Camerupt is the hazard setter of this core with Stealth Rock and stopping set-up sweepers with Roar while racking up hazard damage. I first thought of using Camerupt as a bulky attacker, but found that being able to tank hits as well as being able to hit back coming off its base 105 Sp. Atk was much more beneficial allowing it to fare better aganist strong special attackers. With that being said however, Camerupt doesn't like taking Water or Ground attacks at all which brings me to my next member of this core:

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Toxic
- Roost
When it came to finding a pokemon to pair up with Camerupt, the first thing that came 2 mind was something 2 deal with its horrible 4x water weakness and this is what i found 2 work, Pelipper. Tho it may have competition by other defoggers in the tier like Togetic, and Mantine, Pelipper can hold its own as well, while also providing perfect synergy with Camerupt. Pelipper takes on any water attacks aimed at Camerupt while also being immune to Camerupt's ground weakness as well. on the other hand, Camerupt is immune to Pelipper's glaring 4x electric weakness and also handles rock types with STAB Earth Power. The main goal of this Pelipper is simple. Defog away hazards while being able to cripple physical sweepers with STAB Scald. Toxic is for bulkier pokemon that Pelipper has trouble getting past while Roost provides reliable recovery on top of leftovers recovery. While Camerupt can handle Pelipper's 4x electric weakness, it doesn't hurt to have some insurance which brings me to my 3rd pokemon of my core:

Raichu @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Nasty Plot
- Encore/Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

When I first started playing PU one thing was sure, hazards were everywhere! This Raichu set is meant to add insurance to Pelipper's 4x electric weakness with Lightningrod, punish hazard setters with Encore while getting off a Nasty Plot while they switch out. Focus Blast is an option over Encore as it allows you to nail Ice-types like Rotom-F and Avalugg.This set can be used a lead if u see ur opponent has an obvious hazard setter and then proceed to encore them into using said move or as a late game sweeper as pseudo Bolt-HP Ice + Fighting coverages only resisted by the ever rare Shedinja. And while base 110 Speed is very solid in PU, having a sticky web setter on ur team like Kricketune will help it out speed faster pokemon like Sneasel (or scarfed pokemon)who won't like taking a possible +3 STAB Thunderbolt.

Eviolite Roselia would also do well for this core if ur into hazard stacking with Spikes or Toxic Spikes while also absorbing Toxic Spikes on ur side while handling opposing Water and Ground types making it a great teamate with Camerupt. Anyway this is my PU core. Hope u give it a chance and happy battling!

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've been testing this core for a bit in PU and I have to say its been putting in work for me especially with the many viable cores u can make. Here's mine atm:

Camerupt @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power

Camerupt is the hazard setter of this core with Stealth Rock and stopping set-up sweepers with Roar while racking up hazard damage. I first thought of using Camerupt as a bulky attacker, but found that being able to tank hits as well as being able to hit back coming off its base 105 Sp. Atk was much more beneficial allowing it to fare better aganist strong special attackers. With that being said however, Camerupt doesn't like taking Water or Ground attacks at all which brings me to my next member of this core:

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Toxic
- Roost
When it came to finding a pokemon to pair up with Camerupt, the first thing that came 2 mind was something 2 deal with its horrible 4x water weakness and this is what i found 2 work, Pelipper. Tho it may have competition by other defoggers in the tier like Togetic, and Mantine, Pelipper can hold its own as well, while also providing perfect synergy with Camerupt. Pelipper takes on any water attacks aimed at Camerupt while also being immune to Camerupt's ground weakness as well. on the other hand, Camerupt is immune to Pelipper's glaring 4x electric weakness and also handles rock types with STAB Earth Power. The main goal of this Pelipper is simple. Defog away hazards while being able to cripple physical sweepers with STAB Scald. Toxic is for bulkier pokemon that Pelipper has trouble getting past while Roost provides reliable recovery on top of leftovers recovery. While Camerupt can handle Pelipper's 4x electric weakness, it doesn't hurt to have some insurance which brings me to my 3rd pokemon of my core:

Raichu @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Nasty Plot
- Encore
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

When I first started playing PU one thing was sure, hazards were everywhere! This Raichu set is meant to add insurance to Pelipper's 4x electric weakness with Lightningrod, punish hazard setters with Encore while getting off a Nasty Plot while they switch out. This set can be used a lead if u see ur opponent has an obvious hazard setter and then proceed to encore them into using said move or as a late game sweeper as pseudo Bolt-HP Ice combo is only resisted by Rotom-F and the ever rare Shedinja. And while base 110 Speed is very solid in PU, having a sticky web setter on ur team like Kricketune will help it out speed faster pokemon like Sneasel (or scarfed pokemon)who won't like taking a possible +3 STAB Thunderbolt.

Eviolite Roselia would also do well for this core if ur into hazard stacking with Spikes or Toxic Spikes while also absorbing Toxic Spikes on ur side while handling opposing Water and Ground types making it a great teamate with Camerupt. Anyway this is my PU core. Hope u give it a chance and happy battling!
Why focus sash Raichu? Sure, you have defog support to preserve it but I feel having the extra power of a Life Orb would be much more beneficial.

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Why focus sash Raichu? Sure, you have defog support to preserve it but I feel having the extra power of a Life Orb would be much more beneficial.
Yeah you make a point. It wouldn't be much of a core if i just focus Raichu on on just trying to encore lead hazard setters and tbh that Raichu was used early on when PU first began. I'll rework the set for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)