Golurk

this pokemon is crappy in the attacking department, considering his high attack stat.

-he gets iron fist with only 1 decent punching move. [shadow punch]

-no guard+dynamic punch sounds good on paper, or on machamp. but for this guy, he gets no stab, and has less attack than machamp, its alot less threatening.

-physical move "puddle". i would of really liked to of seen fire/ice/thunder punch.

-only saving grace for this pokaman is rock polish.

Why has no one said anything about hammer arm

It gets the iron fist boost as well and the speed drop doesn't really matter to him.

It gets the iron fist boost as well and the speed drop doesn't really matter to him.
If he learned the elemental punches, one of those, Hammer Arm, EQ, and Shadow Punch with Iron Fist would've done pretty well for him. Machamp is a superior user of No Guard, in my opinion. I cannot wait to see what the third installment has to offer in the form of move tutors.

And besides, this guy looks great. Gigantor in Pokémon form is an amazing sight to behold.

Iron Fist or No Guard, that is the question. Goruugu has the move pool to abuse both but the thing is when it runs No Guard it's not as good as Machamp so for most cases I personally would run Iron Fist.

Iron Fist or No Guard, that is the question. Goruugu has the move pool to abuse both but the thing is when it runs No Guard it's not as good as Machamp so for most cases I personally would run Iron Fist.
Too true. In the OP, I said that I thought Goruugo was destined to be UU, so who knows, maybe he'll be the Machamp of UU.

Isn't Night Shade more reliable than Shadow Punch? I mean, you can spare a move slot for another use. A combination of something like:

Groundizer: (Yes, I did. It flies so you get the....)
No Guard / Iron Fist
Impish @ Leftovers /
-Earthquake
-Night Shade
-Toxic / Stone Edge?
-DynamicPunch / Gyro Ball?

Well, on the subpuncher set, focus punch is better. I guess if you want an immediate attack, you could have it on top of foocus punch, but then sub + focus punch + shadow punch + hammer arm would leave no room for eq.

On the noguard set, might as well use dynamicpunch

I tried using a lead Goruugu with No Guard and Dynamic Punch on PO. I can confirm that in every situation, I just found myself asking why I wasn't using Machamp.

Unfortunately, this also applied to an Iron Fist set I tried to run. I just found myself asking why I wasn't using Roopushin, or even Infernape.

I'm afraid poor Goruugu is simply just outclassed by his competition, which is a shame, as he's my favorite Pokemon of the generation.

He does have some nice immunities the others don't have though.

And he'll be usable in nu/uu
The Normal/Fighting immunities are nice, yes, but his Water/Ice weaknesses are very unfortunate. Certainly not hard to work around, but when it comes down to it Goruugu needed to be bulkier to be of much use. Once tiers get established I can agree that he'll probably be in UU, unless someone finds a niche for him in the meantime.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
It's interesting to note that Game Freak have came out and said Goruggo is the first Pokemon ever to be designed by an American so if he sucks y'all only have yourselves to blame. :)

Its also interesting to note that if Goruggo gets Ice Punch in the third game (which is very possible considering both Emerald and Platinum brought Punch tutors), he would have the best super-effective coverage on the game with a set of Hammer Arm/Earthquake/Shadow Punch/Ice Punch, hitting a grand total of 14/17 types. Of course, super-effective coverage isn't everything as Electivire (13/17) will gladly demonstrate but it helps that two of the moves on the set are STAB and three are boosted by Iron Fist. Probably not that practical but there you go.

What-ifs aside, he's an interesting Pokemon but falls a little short of being good enough to compete in standard, IMO. Normal, Fighting, Electric and Sandstorm immunities are very helpful, and would probably justify his use over his competition on certain teams but for the most part there will usually be something that performs better than him in whatever role you pick for him.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Like some people have said in this thread, Iron Fist SubPunching Spinblocker and the Rock Polish set seems to be the best for him. With Rock Polish and No Guard, he can have a 100% accurate Stone Edge and DynamicPunch while being immune to Thunder Wave so that the opponent can't totally interrupt his sweep.

At least the Rock Polish set is something he has over Machamp as a No Guarder. Maybe a Choice Band set would work since he does have a nice set of immunities and STAB Earthquake.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Seeing Goruugu played, I think that if he can get set-up he can be a monster. Setting him up is really hard though, as he has a lot of Weaknesses to common types. Many times when he switches in I find that I'll have a immediate way to KO him. At least he has some immunities to abuse.

I have been on PO for a few days and have been using Goruugu and it tears teams apart.

High Speed Golem
No Guard
Jolly
4 HP/ 252 ATK/ 252 Spe
Leftovers/Lum Berry
Dynamic Punch
Earthquake
Shadow Punch/ Stone Edge
Rock Polish

This set has torn through teams and spreaded confusion like mad after a RP, giving it 458 speed if I'm not mistaken. I have a log if anyone wishes to read it.

Goruugu @ leftovers
0 spe IVs
Brave
252hp/252atk

-Hammer Arm
-Gyro Ball
-Earthquake
-Shadow Punch

Low speed abuse? Could function as a bulky-heavy hitter esp. in a trick-room.

Gyro ball would basically only be for flying types and bugs though, since hammer arm/shadow punch/earthquake is better against any other type.

I would deifnitely like to see a log, moe1216, as I really can't see a niche in this guy.

@ lumpor not a prob, though to be honest I don't know how to properly set one up. Can someone please inform me on how to do it?

Isn't Night Shade more reliable than Shadow Punch? I mean, you can spare a move slot for another use. A combination of something like:

Groundizer: (Yes, I did. It flies so you get the....)
No Guard / Iron Fist
Impish @ Leftovers /
-Earthquake
-Night Shade
-Toxic / Stone Edge?
-DynamicPunch / Gyro Ball?
Wat

Ground/Ghost is resisted by like one thing, Skarmory, who is killed by Stone Edge and Earthquakes on the Roosts.

btw Stone Edge should be the first option in the third slot, and the last slot should be Toxic/Dynamicpunch. (and Iron Fist should be first). Dynamicpunch, without STAB, is kind of inferior to Earthquake, as weird as that may sound, and Shadow Punch really needs more power.

flying types and bugs
Stone Edge

I don't know how to properly set one up
Um, choiced electric/normal/fighting moves, Thunder Wave, things that don't like EQ, like Doryuuzu (haven't seen a Shadow Claw yet) or something, um Cresselia

I'm surprised nobody has layed down just a run-of-the-mill Bulky Offense set.

Goruggo@Leftovers No Guard
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
-DynamicPunch
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Toxic/Protect

DPunch for confusion hax, Earthquake for powerful STAB, Stone Edge for Coverage, Toxic to help hurt walls a bit, maybe Protect for scouting for attacks... It's just a standard set to throw on him for him to act a good defensive role on the team and hit back hard.
Toxic won't really "hurt" walls. Blissey won't switch into a Pokemon with No Guard DynamicPunch, and Toxic doesn't even affect Skarm and Nattorei which are the best physical walls. Poison Heal Gliscor not only walls it extremely well, it also LOVES being toxic-ed for extra healing which means better walling. The only decent physical wall you're hurting with Toxic is Hippowdon, and you usually only see that as a sandstorm lead. It would hurt Pre-Evo Stone Porygon 2, but Goruggo will NOT like Ice Beams from it. I suppose it would hurt Burungeru too, but they would probably stay away just like Blissey because of the fear of STAB Super Effective Shadow Punch, at least until they figure out that this set lacks it.

So I would say Substitute works much better in that spot. Or with Speed EVs instead of the HP EVs, Rock Polish.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You don't need EdgeQuake on this set, since it leaves you walled by bulky Psychic types and Shadow Punch/Dynamic Punch/Earthquake will hit everything you need it to as it is.

Goruggo's typing is actually pretty useful for what he does. His immunities allow him to check things Machamp can't, and getting up Subs is pretty easy for a bulky/powerful Pokemon with a Dynamic Punch that doesn't miss.

It's nice to see we're getting some more "diverse" ghosts. Still, he can't really do much to skarmory outside will-o-wisp.

And Honchkrow, Barujina, Sazandora, Wargle, Kenhorou, Shiftry, Cacturne, Mebukijika, Togekiss, Chatot, Pidgeot, Fearow, Noctowl, Staraptor, Dodrio, Swellow, Farfetch'd (lol)...
And Hammer Arm (or whatever fighting move) hits everyone on that list neutral or better, including Skarm anyways for what it's worth. Stone Edge as well but that was mentioned.

Total theorizing here but Level Ground/Ankle Sweep could be used on the switch, though this would mostly just be to benefit another teammate as Goruugu is slow enough. Ankle Sweep is considered despite not getting Level Ground's STAB for ground-immune switch-ins. Fly might also be usable for stalling/Leftovers recovery, possibly, though a slow Flyer is getting hit before it flies and hitting whatever the opponent wants it to hit so perhaps not. It's a shame he doesn't get Wisp or even Thunder Wave for support.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)