Glowking's Nasty Plots (Glowking Spikestack Balance)

:ss/slowking-galar: :sm/lopunny-mega: :sm/gliscor: :ss/ferrothorn: :ss/weavile: :ss/moltres:

PokéPaste:

https://pokepast.es/5136b94d265af0d5

Building Process

:slowking-galar:

I begin here, Slowking-G is mostly known for it's Assault Vest sets, however, it's solid special attack, wide coverage, and access to psyshock to destroy common special checks makes it a solid stallbreaker as well. Trick is the cherry on top to ruin it's few switchins, like non-Z Heatran.

:slowking-galar: :lopunny-mega:

Lopunny partners up well with Glowking. Glowking has issues breaking Tran and can falter vs. faster opponents, especially choice-locked mons and physical attackers. Lopunny also adds some speed control to keep this team from being overwhelmed by offensive mons.

:slowking-galar: :lopunny-mega: :clefable:

I forget why I had Clefable here tbh, I don't think I needed it, but it did provide a secondary wincon.

:slowking-galar: :lopunny-mega: :clefable: :gliscor:

Gliscor provides an electric and ground immunity, Stealth Rocks, a pivot, and a blanket check to physical mons.

:slowking-galar: :lopunny-mega: :clefable: :gliscor: :ferrothorn:

Ferrothorn shows that I am incapable of not turning a team into a spikestack. Also it checks a lot of stuff Gliscor cannot, like waters, ices, and can punish u-turns.

:slowking-galar: :lopunny-mega: :clefable: :gliscor: :ferrothorn: :weavile:

Weavile lets me abuse Z moves, break things that the rest of my team has trouble breaking (mostly grounds like Landorus, Gliscor, and Hippowdon, but also provides a way to break through Mega Latias,) and can also serve as another wincon.

:slowking-galar: :lopunny-mega: :gliscor: :ferrothorn: :weavile: :heatran:

Realizing my poor Volcarona matchup, I opted for specially defensive Heatran over the fair(l)y unnecessary Clefable. However, while this is a good check for Volc, Mega Charizard Y absolutely demolished this team unless I played super aggressively and made perfect plays. Furthermore, Heatran doesn't have very good longevity.

:slowking-galar: :lopunny-mega: :gliscor: :ferrothorn: :weavile: :moltres:

Moltres solved both of these problems. It checks both Volcarona and Charizard, and it has great longevity with roost. I haven't tested the team much ever since I made this change, but I think it's pretty complete.

The Sets

:ss/slowking-galar: @ :black-sludge:

Slowking-Galar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 80 SpA / 132 SpD / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Trick
- Psyshock
- Flamethrower

As mentioned previously, Galarian Slowking is a great stallbreaker and win condition vs fatter teams. Nasty Plot lets it boost it's special attack from nothing particularly scary to very threatening levels. Trick lets you punish mons on the switchin. Psyshock is chosen for it's ability to break more specially defensive mons like Blissey, Chansey, and Gastrodon, while Flamethrower tears apart a lot of Steels like Corviknight, Mega Scizor, and Ferrothorn (although you must be weary of Knock Off on Ferrothorn and Sand Tomb on Mega Scizor.) EVs are to OHKO Corviknight after a Nasty Plot, and the rest is dumped into HP and Special Defense to maximize Glowking's ability to check special threats. 44 Speed EVs are used to outspeed Toxapex.

:ss/lopunny-mega: @ :lopunnite:

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Return/Frustration
- U-turn

Standard Mega Lopunny set. Not much to say here. Return and CC synergize with Scrappy to make a nigh-unresisted STAB combo, safe for Shedinja. Frustration can be run with 0 happiness to fuck up Dittos with max happiness, but Dittos can still run minimum happiness, so really, it's up to you. U-Turn is used to predict double switches and get in a breaker. Limber lets you not get paralyzed as you switch in, should you ever need to come in on something like, say, a Serperior's Glare.

:ss/gliscor: @ :toxic-orb:

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 52 Def / 100 SpD / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Roost

Again, fairly standard set here. Stealth Rock is run so Ferrothorn can Spike, and because we want to keep hazards here, not remove them. Earthquale lets you have a STAB option. Again, U-Turn is used here against faster threats that can't hurt you to safely get in threats on this team like Weavile and Mega Lopunny. Roost gives you some amazing longevity. Standard spread for EVs. Toxic Orb activates Poison Heal and increase longevity.

:ss/ferrothorn: @ :leftovers:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

Spikes is here to chip down opponents even further than normal. Knock Off removes items and can scare away some mons like Reuniclus or my opponent's Galarian Slowking. Leech Seed increases chip damage and recovery, and Power Whip can be used to scare away grass-weak mons, like Tapu Fini, Rotom Wash, Gastrodon, and Tyranitar. Standard EV spread. Leftovers are here to maximize recovery.

:ss/weavile: @ :darkinium-z:

Weavile @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Crash
- Throat Chop
- Ice Shard

The Z move abuser for this team is Weavile. Weavile runs max attack, max speed, and a Jolly Nature, to maximize speed and damage output. Swords Dance allows you to set up and bring your attacking prowess to sky-high levels. Icicle Crash is used over Triple Axel due to it's higher accuracy and ability to bypass contact punishing effects, like Rocky Helmet, Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs, and Zapdo's Static. Throat Chop is used over Knock Off for it's higher base power when Z'd. Ice Shard allows you to hit faster, frail/weak/chipped foes, like Choice Scarf Landorus-Therian, and chipped Mega Lopunny/Ash Greninja.

Moltres @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 52 SpD / 60 Spe
Timid Nature
- Mystical Fire
- Scorching Sands
- Roost
- U-turn

:ss/moltres: @ :heavy-duty-boots:

Moltres patches up a lot of holes in this team. Namely, it's lack of a check for fire types like Heatran, Mega Charizard Y, and Volcarona. Mystical Fire slows down the latter 2 threats to a crawl, while Scorching Sands destroys the first. Roost gives you some much-needed longevity. U-Turn allows you to bring in your breakers against faster opponents. Heavy Duty Boots are used to alleviate your terrible weakness to Stealth Rocks.

Conclusion

In conclusion, this team probably has some flaws that are worth patching. It's possible I overlooked a crippling weakness. However, it feels like it's complete now, I can't really think of any threats that are still a problem. But, I'd like to hear the thoughts of people better at building than me :p. I'm fine if you wanna change things, just preferably keep Glowking and make sure it's a Nasty Plot set.

:ss/diancie-mega:

EDIT: There is one thing I noticed that my team is weak to, and that is Mega Diancie. I don't really have a defensive answer to it, I mostly need to just try and overwhelm it. Which can be hard, due to its high natural bulk and resistance to rocks.

Last edited:
Nice team but i dont see any defoggers here
Altho u have 2 flying type mons
Don't want defoggers. That would undo all the spikes I'm trying to stack.

2 fliers isn't a big deal to me when they have mostly completely different checks anyways, and the ones they do share aren't even related to their typing being similar.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)