SM OU Glow Like Dat - Zard X BO ft. Big Clef

What's poppin y'all, it's ya boi, coming back at you to bless you with my presence for the second time in RMT. This time, coincidentally, I'll be showcasing a team I made with the other Mega form of Charizard - Charizard X. I've seen a lot of hate for this mon recently and I wasn't sure why, it's also dropped on the VR a bit despite nothing really changing for it (tbh I thought it would've gotten better with all the new defoggers we got from USUM) so I wanted to try it out and see if it's actually gotten worse. I'm kinda undecided as of now, it's a formidable wallbreaker and will punch severe holes in any team without a Landorus, however we all know every team has Landorus on it, also the weakness to rocks and the fact it damages itself a lot with Blitz recoil means it has to click Roost a lot more often than it would like. Anyway, enough intro, let's get into the team (credit to ZstealthrockZ for the clean ass picture).

Teambuilding Process -

The offensive core the team functions around. Koko and Zard X have great synergy; Koko can volt on any grass types that it can't break to freely bring in Zard X to throw off a powerful Blitz / Roost if it's a bit low on health. Koko deals with bulky waters Zard X struggles to break and somewhat lures in Lando.

Next comes the defensive core - the bread and butter if you will. Nothing special, just defensive Lando and AV Magearna.

I then added Clef so I'm not as reliant on Landorus to check mons like Zygarde and Mega Medicham, while also giving me another wincon. It fits well as the most annoying thing for it is Steels, for which I have Koko to pressure and Zard X to force out.

And finally, I added Latias for some speed control, a defogger and as a healing wisher to bring back one of my mons that does a lot of work in the matchup back to full.

Sets -

Charizard-Mega-X @

Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Roost

I find that 3 attacks + roost tends to be the mons best set - it's the most consistent, as you don't really need boosts to break through teams for the most part, and you're not forced to drop one of D Claw / EQ / Roost which all give Charizard problems if you don't have them. Flare Blitz is the main STAB attack you'll be clicking with the mon for the most part, hitting even resists really hard. Dragon Claw is the second STAB of the set, hitting Dragon types like the Lati twins, Zygarde and Garchomp that can stomach Flare Blitz for super effective damage. Earthquake hits things that would wall you otherwise, namely Toxapex and Heatran. Roost for longevity, mitigating rocks and recoil damage. Despite the comment I made earlier, I do want to try out SD or DD Zard X, as I lack immediately threatening setup.

Tapu Koko @

Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 128 HP / 188 SpA / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Roost / Defog

This is what I was referring to when I called Koko somewhat of a lure for Landorus-T. Shuca makes it so you'll easily lived an Earthquake from even offensive Landorus, and you can hit it super effectively with Hidden Power Ice for heavy damage, to the point where it's in range of a Flare Blitz from Zard X. This particular spread allows Koko to live a Banded / +1 Thousand Arrows from an Adamant Zygarde after rocks always. Thunderbolt hits hard in Electric Terrain, even without a boosting item or full investment. Hidden Power Ice, as mentioned earlier, hits common ground types that try to switch in on your electric moves like Zygarde and Landorus. Volt Switch allows Koko to pivot on defensive countermeasures that it can't break through like Amoonguss, AV Tapu Bulu, Tangrowth and Mega Venusaur and bring in Charizard X / any other mons to take advantage of the grass type. Roost again is for longevity to get back up to full after numerous rocks / spikes switchins (due to the nature of Koko's fantastic ability to pivot, it'll be switching in and out a lot). Defog is also an option to provide a secondary defogger for Zard, but I've found that I prefer Roost's ability to keep Koko in the game for longer.

Landorus-Therian @

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Standard defensive set, running leftovers to allow Lando to switch into the mons it checks and counters more frequently. Earthquake is there as a fantastic STAB attack, hitting decently hard even on a set with no attack investment. Stealth Rock as Landorus forces a lot of switches defensively as it's a hard stop to a plethora of physical attackers lacking ice coverage in the tier, meaning you can freely get rocks up on their expected switch and start racking up the chip on their mons / force them to defog for your own Charizard if they also have something that is crippled by rocks being up. U-Turn allows me to generate more momentum by getting chip on mons coming on / scouting what will come in and forcing them out again with a different mon. Hidden Power Ice hits opposing Landorus for a clean 2HKO which clears the way for Zard X, but it also hits Zygarde for super effective damage too.

Magearna @

Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Iron Head
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Again, standard defensive pivot. Maximised investment in HP and SpD to stomach hits from special attackers the set is meant to check, Assault Vest maximising this bulk to insane levels, hitting 541 SpD factoring in the item. Fleur Cannon gives Magearna it's main offensive presence. Iron Head may look odd on a special attacker, however it hits Pokemon that boost their SpD with setup such as Calm Mind Clefable and opposing Magearnas for more consistent damage. Hidden Power Fire stops the set from being fodder for Ferrothorn to setup spikes, for Scizor to get up a Swords Dance and it also knocks out Kartana with ease which can't be said for any other move on the set. Volt Switch solidifies the VoltTurn core the team has, again being able to freely bring in Zard X to punch holes is quintessential for the teams success.

Clefable @

Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

I wanted to try a less conventional set on Clefable this time; Cosmic Power + Stored Power. This set is just so annoying to play against, once it gets a boost up it's so hard to kill it outside of crits. However, the downside of the set is if you do setup and you're in a position to sweep, you will get crit and die. It's insane how many matches I've lost purely because I've been crit with this mon. Anyway, max HP and max Def to check Mega Medicham and DD Groundium Zygarde as best as possible (watchout if Medicham Zen's on the switchin as there's quite a high chance you'll get 2HKO'd). Cosmic Power allows you to boost both your defensive stats, meaning you are nigh unkillable, even if you're being hit for super-effective damage. Stored Power is obviously boosted by Cosmic Power, hitting pretty hard once you get the ball rolling. Moonblast is just the strong stab, I chose to over Flamethrower as I have enough ways to apply pressure to steel types, and being hard walled by Dark types is annoying (you also don't beat the mons you're supposed to without Moonblast). Soft-Boiled lets you recover any damage dealt to Clef for future switchins / to keep on setting up.

Latias @

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Finally, Latias. I ran a Choice Scarf as I chose this mon for speed control, and a scarfer is the most common form of speed control. Draco Meteor and Psyshock as spammable STABs for the set, I opted for Psyshock over Psychic as it hits Chansey, Toxapex and Volcarona harder. Defog is fantastic for keeping the team alive and well, particularly Zard. Healing Wish is really nice as it allows me to sack off Latias if it's not necessary in the matchup and bring back in a severely weakened teammate.

Importable

Threatlist -

Volcarona

Due to this team lacking a bulky water / a scarfer that OHKOs, Volcarona is a big threat to this team. Thankfully I have Zard X, which will live any attack at +1 outside of Psychium Z which I can scout for, but if it's weakened it's very difficult for me to deal with Volcarona, considering my lack of priority to finish it off after Lati weakens it with Psyshock.

Kyurem-Black

Nothing new, this thing threatens every team. Icium Z pretty much claims a kill outside of Magearna, which nearly dies after the next hit, which can be catastrophic against teams with Ash Greninja for me.

Rain

The team is lacking a grass type, which means switching into common abusers of rain can be very difficult. However, with the combination of Cosmic Power Clefable, Latias and Magearna, I have a fighting chance.

Calm Mind Mega Latias

Thankfully this thing is very rare to find on the ladder, but it seriously destroys this team. My best bet is to go hard into Zard X if I suspect at all they could be Mega and click Dragon Claw; I can't go into something to scout then go Zard X as it dies to Stored Power after 2 Calm Minds. This mon is lowkey nasty.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-716154629 rain matchup
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-716464533 beating a team with volc on it (ft. a gay ass set and a gay ass opponent)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-716483934 beating icium z kyub (aka sack something)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-717058516 clef 6-0

Thanks for any advice in advance! :]

Last edited:
First of all, I really like your team.

Second, if I had to make any changes to the team, it would be to change Magearna for Ferrothorn.
Ferrothorn makes a very good balanced/defensive core with Lando-T and Zard-X, it also helps you solve part of the problem with rain teams and can remove items like leftovers, eviolite Chansey, etc. I'm not a true fan of SR + Spikes and Defog. But if you manage to put both, you would be very helpful if Zard-X and Tapu Koko sweep the opposing team.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock /Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

Regarding Tapu Koko, maybe you consider removing Roost / Defog and using Taunt. That could help you avoid hazard setters, defogers, setup sweepers and M-Latias from doing their shit things.

For the rest of the team, I think it's pretty solid and answers for almost everything.

First of all, I really like your team.

Second, if I had to make any changes to the team, it would be to change Magearna for Ferrothorn.
Ferrothorn makes a very good balanced/defensive core with Lando-T and Zard-X, it also helps you solve part of the problem with rain teams and can remove items like leftovers, eviolite Chansey, etc. I'm not a true fan of SR + Spikes and Defog. But if you manage to put both, you would be very helpful if Zard-X and Tapu Koko sweep the opposing team.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock /Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

Regarding Tapu Koko, maybe you consider removing Roost / Defog and using Taunt. That could help you avoid hazard setters, defogers, setup sweepers and M-Latias from doing their shit things.

For the rest of the team, I think it's pretty solid and answers for almost everything.
Thanks for the advice and the compliment! Ferrothorn over Magearna does help my rain mu and knock is always useful utility, however I fear my Lele matchup becomes a lot worse if I put it over Magearna, but I will give it a try. Also, the Koko set change sounds good, I'll give it a whirl. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice and the compliment! Ferrothorn over Magearna does help my rain mu and knock is always useful utility, however I fear my Lele matchup becomes a lot worse if I put it over Magearna, but I will give it a try. Also, the Koko set change sounds good, I'll give it a whirl. Thanks again.
I guess you mean Tapu Lele scarf, in that case you could try using Jirachi Scarf and removing Latias. Jirachi walls Lele and can KO with Iron Head, Heal Wish supp, U-Turn for momentum and Ice Punch for Lando-T, Zygarde, Gliscor and Garchomp. Lando-T remove SR and using Defog.

The downside of this change, is that the team becomes really weak to the Sand Teams and the scarfGround-Type like Lando-T / Garchomp and that you need to play Lando-T in a very conservative way. On the other hand, something I have forgotten when suggesting the change to Ferrothorn. Removing Magearna, you also removed your other alternative to end Ferrothorn and M-Scizor, in that case if you decided to include Jirachi, you could try to change the HP Ice for HP Fire with Tapu Koko.

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
What's poppin y'all, it's ya boi, coming back at you to bless you with my presence for the second time in RMT. This time, coincidentally, I'll be showcasing a team I made with the other Mega form of Charizard - Charizard X. I've seen a lot of hate for this mon recently and I wasn't sure why, it's also dropped on the VR a bit despite nothing really changing for it (tbh I thought it would've gotten better with all the new defoggers we got from USUM) so I wanted to try it out and see if it's actually gotten worse. I'm kinda undecided as of now, it's a formidable wallbreaker and will punch severe holes in any team without a Landorus, however we all know every team has Landorus on it, also the weakness to rocks and the fact it damages itself a lot with Blitz recoil means it has to click Roost a lot more often than it would like. Anyway, enough intro, let's get into the team (credit to ZstealthrockZ for the clean ass picture).

Teambuilding Process -

The offensive core the team functions around. Koko and Zard X have great synergy; Koko can volt on any grass types that it can't break to freely bring in Zard X to throw off a powerful Blitz / Roost if it's a bit low on health. Koko deals with bulky waters Zard X struggles to break and somewhat lures in Lando.

Next comes the defensive core - the bread and butter if you will. Nothing special, just defensive Lando and AV Magearna.

I then added Clef so I'm not as reliant on Landorus to check mons like Zygarde and Mega Medicham, while also giving me another wincon. It fits well as the most annoying thing for it is Steels, for which I have Koko to pressure and Zard X to force out.

And finally, I added Latias for some speed control, a defogger and as a healing wisher to bring back one of my mons that does a lot of work in the matchup back to full.

Sets -

Charizard-Mega-X @

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Roost

I find that 3 attacks + roost tends to be the mons best set - it's the most consistent, as you don't really need boosts to break through teams for the most part, and you're not forced to drop one of D Claw / EQ / Roost which all give Charizard problems if you don't have them. Flare Blitz is the main STAB attack you'll be clicking with the mon for the most part, hitting even resists really hard. Dragon Claw is the second STAB of the set, hitting Dragon types like the Lati twins, Zygarde and Garchomp that can stomach Flare Blitz for super effective damage. Earthquake hits things that would wall you otherwise, namely Toxapex and Heatran. Roost for longevity, mitigating rocks and recoil damage. Despite the comment I made earlier, I do want to try out SD or DD Zard X, as I lack immediately threatening setup.

Tapu Koko @

Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 128 HP / 188 SpA / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Roost / Defog

This is what I was referring to when I called Koko somewhat of a lure for Landorus-T. Shuca makes it so you'll easily lived an Earthquake from even offensive Landorus, and you can hit it super effectively with Hidden Power Ice for heavy damage, to the point where it's in range of a Flare Blitz from Zard X. This particular spread allows Koko to live a Banded / +1 Thousand Arrows from an Adamant Zygarde after rocks always. Thunderbolt hits hard in Electric Terrain, even without a boosting item or full investment. Hidden Power Ice, as mentioned earlier, hits common ground types that try to switch in on your electric moves like Zygarde and Landorus. Volt Switch allows Koko to pivot on defensive countermeasures that it can't break through like Amoonguss, AV Tapu Bulu, Tangrowth and Mega Venusaur and bring in Charizard X / any other mons to take advantage of the grass type. Roost again is for longevity to get back up to full after numerous rocks / spikes switchins (due to the nature of Koko's fantastic ability to pivot, it'll be switching in and out a lot). Defog is also an option to provide a secondary defogger for Zard, but I've found that I prefer Roost's ability to keep Koko in the game for longer.

Landorus-Therian @

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Standard defensive set, running leftovers to allow Lando to switch into the mons it checks and counters more frequently. Earthquake is there as a fantastic STAB attack, hitting decently hard even on a set with no attack investment. Stealth Rock as Landorus forces a lot of switches defensively as it's a hard stop to a plethora of physical attackers lacking ice coverage in the tier, meaning you can freely get rocks up on their expected switch and start racking up the chip on their mons / force them to defog for your own Charizard if they also have something that is crippled by rocks being up. U-Turn allows me to generate more momentum by getting chip on mons coming on / scouting what will come in and forcing them out again with a different mon. Hidden Power Ice hits opposing Landorus for a clean 2HKO which clears the way for Zard X, but it also hits Zygarde for super effective damage too.

Magearna @

Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Iron Head
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Again, standard defensive pivot. Maximised investment in HP and SpD to stomach hits from special attackers the set is meant to check, Assault Vest maximising this bulk to insane levels, hitting 541 SpD factoring in the item. Fleur Cannon gives Magearna it's main offensive presence. Iron Head may look odd on a special attacker, however it hits Pokemon that boost their SpD with setup such as Calm Mind Clefable and opposing Magearnas for more consistent damage. Hidden Power Fire stops the set from being fodder for Ferrothorn to setup spikes, for Scizor to get up a Swords Dance and it also knocks out Kartana with ease which can't be said for any other move on the set. Volt Switch solidifies the VoltTurn core the team has, again being able to freely bring in Zard X to punch holes is quintessential for the teams success.

Clefable @

Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

I wanted to try a less conventional set on Clefable this time; Cosmic Power + Stored Power. This set is just so annoying to play against, once it gets a boost up it's so hard to kill it outside of crits. However, the downside of the set is if you do setup and you're in a position to sweep, you will get crit and die. It's insane how many matches I've lost purely because I've been crit with this mon. Anyway, max HP and max Def to check Mega Medicham and DD Groundium Zygarde as best as possible (watchout if Medicham Zen's on the switchin as there's quite a high chance you'll get 2HKO'd). Cosmic Power allows you to boost both your defensive stats, meaning you are nigh unkillable, even if you're being hit for super-effective damage. Stored Power is obviously boosted by Cosmic Power, hitting pretty hard once you get the ball rolling. Moonblast is just the strong stab, I chose to over Flamethrower as I have enough ways to apply pressure to steel types, and being hard walled by Dark types is annoying (you also don't beat the mons you're supposed to without Moonblast). Soft-Boiled lets you recover any damage dealt to Clef for future switchins / to keep on setting up.

Latias @

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Finally, Latias. I ran a Choice Scarf as I chose this mon for speed control, and a scarfer is the most common form of speed control. Draco Meteor and Psyshock as spammable STABs for the set, I opted for Psyshock over Psychic as it hits Chansey, Toxapex and Volcarona harder. Defog is fantastic for keeping the team alive and well, particularly Zard. Healing Wish is really nice as it allows me to sack off Latias if it's not necessary in the matchup and bring back in a severely weakened teammate.

Importable

Threatlist -

Volcarona

Due to this team lacking a bulky water / a scarfer that OHKOs, Volcarona is a big threat to this team. Thankfully I have Zard X, which will live any attack at +1 outside of Psychium Z which I can scout for, but if it's weakened it's very difficult for me to deal with Volcarona, considering my lack of priority to finish it off after Lati weakens it with Psyshock.

Kyurem-Black

Nothing new, this thing threatens every team. Icium Z pretty much claims a kill outside of Magearna, which nearly dies after the next hit, which can be catastrophic against teams with Ash Greninja for me.

Rain

The team is lacking a grass type, which means switching into common abusers of rain can be very difficult. However, with the combination of Cosmic Power Clefable, Latias and Magearna, I have a fighting chance.

Calm Mind Mega Latias

Thankfully this thing is very rare to find on the ladder, but it seriously destroys this team. My best bet is to go hard into Zard X if I suspect at all they could be Mega and click Dragon Claw; I can't go into something to scout then go Zard X as it dies to Stored Power after 2 Calm Minds. This mon is lowkey nasty.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-716154629 rain matchup
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-716464533 beating a team with volc on it (ft. a gay ass set and a gay ass opponent)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-716483934 beating icium z kyub (aka sack something)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-717058516 clef 6-0

Thanks for any advice in advance! :]
Hi mate, I really like the team. Some things I would change, however.
What does DClaw on the Zard hit? In my opinion, putting DD or Will-o here is a better option.
Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Earthquake
- Roost
I'd make the Koko Roost and not Defog. This allows it to keep being a Lando threat throughout the game.
I'd also change Clef to a Mew, if you're not adamant about keeping Clef. Mew gives a Defog option while still letting you beat Zygarde and Medicham and being a lure for Landorus
Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Roost
- Ice Beam
If you want, you can increase the speed to take care of Landorus, (make it 310 speed) but I don't think it's necessary as many things on the team beat Landorus.
Like the user above me has said, Ferro > Mag is a pretty good idea. I'd go with TWave over Spikes though, as you're going to need to keep defogging for your Zard.
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

We're still a bit Mega Latias and Clef weak. Changing Koko to the common specs set makes it a little easier to deal with, thought both are still troublesome for this team.

Finally, I'd use scarfed Keldeo over Latias. This works as a secondary Greninja check, while still being able to outspeed +1 Volcarona and OHKO with Stone Edge.
Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stone Edge
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword

Here's my updated version of the team: http://pokepast.es/f3d5e4e3aa9bfa60
I hope you enjoy. If you have any questions, shoot em my way :)

I guess you mean Tapu Lele scarf, in that case you could try using Jirachi Scarf and removing Latias. Jirachi walls Lele and can KO with Iron Head, Heal Wish supp, U-Turn for momentum and Ice Punch for Lando-T, Zygarde, Gliscor and Garchomp. Lando-T remove SR and using Defog.

The downside of this change, is that the team becomes really weak to the Sand Teams and the scarfGround-Type like Lando-T / Garchomp and that you need to play Lando-T in a very conservative way. On the other hand, something I have forgotten when suggesting the change to Ferrothorn. Removing Magearna, you also removed your other alternative to end Ferrothorn and M-Scizor, in that case if you decided to include Jirachi, you could try to change the HP Ice for HP Fire with Tapu Koko.
I meant more specs as Scarf doesn't carry HP Fire usually. Scarf Jirachi really isn't a very good set tbh, only Jirachi that likes switching into specs Lele repeatedly is SpDef, which doesn't fit on this team. And HP Ice is 100% mandatory on the Koko, if I make it HP Ice there's no point in Shuca Berry anymore, since ground types wall me. Only set that can get away with HP Fire is Specs tbh.

Hi mate, I really like the team. Some things I would change, however.
What does DClaw on the Zard hit? In my opinion, putting DD or Will-o here is a better option.
Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Earthquake
- Roost
I'd make the Koko Roost and not Defog. This allows it to keep being a Lando threat throughout the game.
I'd also change Clef to a Mew, if you're not adamant about keeping Clef. Mew gives a Defog option while still letting you beat Zygarde and Medicham and being a lure for Landorus
Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Roost
- Ice Beam
If you want, you can increase the speed to take care of Landorus, (make it 310 speed) but I don't think it's necessary as many things on the team beat Landorus.
Like the user above me has said, Ferro > Mag is a pretty good idea. I'd go with TWave over Spikes though, as you're going to need to keep defogging for your Zard.
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

We're still a bit Mega Latias and Clef weak. Changing Koko to the common specs set makes it a little easier to deal with, thought both are still troublesome for this team.

Finally, I'd use scarfed Keldeo over Latias. This works as a secondary Greninja check, while still being able to outspeed +1 Volcarona and OHKO with Stone Edge.
Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stone Edge
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword

Here's my updated version of the team: http://pokepast.es/f3d5e4e3aa9bfa60
I hope you enjoy. If you have any questions, shoot em my way :)
D Claw is just a reliable STAB, but it hits shit that resists Flare Blitz (namely dragons), I said in the RMT that I'm gonna try out dd zard x.
The Koko is already roost. And I don't really like Mew in the current meta tbh, a defogger prone to every form of hazard isn't great imo, also makes the team a lot more passive and removes a wincon. I can usually beat Medi with Clef by getting the intimidate off with Lando then going Clef, or just going straight Clef if an ice punch is expected. Also Z Outrage at +1 kills Mew a lot of the time.
I don't really like Keldeo either, with Pex and Bulu everywhere it just doesn't get much opportunity to do stuff most of the time. I'll try out the changes nonetheless. Thanks c:

Hey mellowyellowhd, pretty cool team and pretty cool RMT!

Whilst the team seems pretty solid and is able to break through any kind of team, it does lack the sustainability to prevail versus other teams. That I am trying to cover in this rate!

What is your team weak to? :
  • Tapu Lele, especially when Choice Specs, can put in a lot of work versus your team. Psyshock is basically able to break through anything and everything there is on the team, that being the case because you do not enough offensive pressure against it. You cannot set-up with Charizard, you cannot rlly damage the Tapu Lele with Latias, the list goes on.
  • Zygarde, if Choice Banded, can also be a pain for you to deal with, if brought in right. Most banded Zygardes tend to run Toxic over Iron Tail for Pokémon like Quagsire on stall, or Tapu Bulu on balances.
How can you improve the team? :

Jirachi > Magearna: This is going to be controversial, but i think Jirachi performs better versus the threats you have mentioned above and the threats I mentioned in this post. Jirachi gives you reliable recovery for the whole of your team to profit off of. Jorachi can also give you the option of running Stealth Rocks on, which is something nice, generally speaking.

Tyranitar > Landorus-Therian: Tyranitar gives you the trapper you so desperately need versus stuff like Ash-Greninja. With the Band you should do over 60% to it, making it more easy to wear it down. The removal of Landorus is gonna be made up for with the next change.

Zapdos > Tapu Koko: Zapdos gives you a Flying-Type that your team would have lacked after my Tyranitar suggestion. Zapdos offers great support with Defog, as well as Pressure and good recovery options.

Hippowdon > Latias: I do not think speed is necessary on balances like this one turned out to be, so I decided to put a solid setter, that does not get trapped by anything, in here. You can run Whirlwind on it to phaze out certain threats like Charizard-X or run Toxic to put pressure on Pokémon like Zapdos. The fact that you have double sand is also huge, because you win the weather war most of the time.

I hope I helped you out, man ^^

Tyranitar gives you the trapper you so desperately need versus stuff like Ash-Greninja. \
Wut

While I agree that he should change Magearna to Rachi, and should try out Tyranitar, I don't really understand why you suggested switching out Hippowdon for Latias. Doing that change literally exacerbates a lot of the bad match-ups he already said he had like Rain and the Kyurem match-up. Another problem I have with that idea is the fact that Hippowdon doesn't really add to much that Tyranitar and Landorus and Jirachialready does. He already has a Hawlucha check so that isn't a problem, Jirachi or Landorus provides rocks, and neither Hippowdon or Tyranitar really bother Rain Teams as they naturally breeze right through those two.

The single biggest problem with that suggestion is that its practically begging Kartana to sweep right past his team to the point of no return. Without Latias, Kartana naturally outspeeds the team and can damage Charizard and Zapdos pretty heftily, and if its a swords dance variant, cheese their way through both of them. Latias basically prevents this scenario from happening. Other than that qualm, I really have no problem with your rate.

Wut

While I agree that he should change Magearna to Rachi, and should try out Tyranitar, I don't really understand why you suggested switching out Hippowdon for Latias. Doing that change literally exacerbates a lot of the bad match-ups he already said he had like Rain and the Kyurem match-up. Another problem I have with that idea is the fact that Hippowdon doesn't really add to much that Tyranitar and Landorus and Jirachialready does. He already has a Hawlucha check so that isn't a problem, Jirachi or Landorus provides rocks, and neither Hippowdon or Tyranitar really bother Rain Teams as they naturally breeze right through those two.

The single biggest problem with that suggestion is that its practically begging Kartana to sweep right past his team to the point of no return. Without Latias, Kartana naturally outspeeds the team and can damage Charizard and Zapdos pretty heftily, and if its a swords dance variant, cheese their way through both of them. Latias basically prevents this scenario from happening. Other than that qualm, I really have no problem with your rate.
The problem is that Latias does not do that much either. It being the defogger makes it easy to stack in the first place. Kyurem gets covered by Jirachi, Ash-Greninja can get trapped and as for rain, well, you cannot really cover it. Granted, the team could not cover it in the first place. Also, there is a Zapdos walling almost any Kartana varient. lol

To the phrase you quoted, though. Yes, I did say that, and yes i still think that is a pretty solid option to handle Ash-Greninja, to be honest, given how Magearna can get chipped pretty easily. I personally would prefer getting rid of the problem before it actually sweeps the team in the end.

Hey mellowyellowhd, pretty cool team and pretty cool RMT!

Whilst the team seems pretty solid and is able to break through any kind of team, it does lack the sustainability to prevail versus other teams. That I am trying to cover in this rate!

What is your team weak to? :
  • Tapu Lele, especially when Choice Specs, can put in a lot of work versus your team. Psyshock is basically able to break through anything and everything there is on the team, that being the case because you do not enough offensive pressure against it. You cannot set-up with Charizard, you cannot rlly damage the Tapu Lele with Latias, the list goes on.
  • Zygarde, if Choice Banded, can also be a pain for you to deal with, if brought in right. Most banded Zygardes tend to run Toxic over Iron Tail for Pokémon like Quagsire on stall, or Tapu Bulu on balances.
How can you improve the team? :

Jirachi > Magearna: This is going to be controversial, but i think Jirachi performs better versus the threats you have mentioned above and the threats I mentioned in this post. Jirachi gives you reliable recovery for the whole of your team to profit off of. Jorachi can also give you the option of running Stealth Rocks on, which is something nice, generally speaking.

Tyranitar > Landorus-Therian: Tyranitar gives you the trapper you so desperately need versus stuff like Ash-Greninja. With the Band you should do over 60% to it, making it more easy to wear it down. The removal of Landorus is gonna be made up for with the next change.

Zapdos > Tapu Koko: Zapdos gives you a Flying-Type that your team would have lacked after my Tyranitar suggestion. Zapdos offers great support with Defog, as well as Pressure and good recovery options.

Hippowdon > Latias: I do not think speed is necessary on balances like this one turned out to be, so I decided to put a solid setter, that does not get trapped by anything, in here. You can run Whirlwind on it to phaze out certain threats like Charizard-X or run Toxic to put pressure on Pokémon like Zapdos. The fact that you have double sand is also huge, because you win the weather war most of the time.

I hope I helped you out, man ^^
Did you set yourself a goal to change as many mons as possible? It's not even the same team as before lmao, it's not even the same archetype.

Hey, that's a pretty cool team you got there though I feel it could be improved a little. I'm gonna keep this rate short since I'm on phone. Basically, this team has issues against generic heatran + scarf lando + ferro teams as this combination kinda walls your team and it doesn't appreciate hazard stack either since your remover is Latias. It's true that the core is a bit weak to zard-x but oftentimes these kinds of teams will carry another way to deal w/ it and pressure your whole team (gren for example) so it's kinda tricky to deal w/ those archetypes. Besides that, there also are some weaknesses outlined before such as Koko, Rain, Volc and M-Lati.

• First off, I'd suggest Scarf Lando > Defensive. The reason being that it is, imo, a much more reliable remover than Latias since it's able to force out a lot more mons such as heatran on which you can Defog as it switches. Also, it gives the team a reliable way to revenge kill things like Tapu Koko and doesn't sacrifice the defensive utility thanks to its bulky spread. I'd run HP Fire on it to check Kartana (and somewhat ferro) since Clefable checks Zygarde.
  • Talking about Clefable, I'd tweak its set a little. I know your current set is an important part of this team but since I changed Lando, I'd just make Clefable rocks. Also, for it's 4th slot, I think Thunder Wave is the superior option here since cm clef is just kinda easy to prepare for and twave helps you to cripple dangerous sweepers like Volc.
  • This one is mainly an alternative option but I'd definitely consider running Explosion > HP Fire on Magearna, mainly for Volc as it deals ~80% to it, putting it in range of priority.
  • Finally, I'd do one major change in Ash-Gren > Latias which will add a lot more offensive presence to the team, a pseudo heatran switchin, and hazards in spikes. It's really cool because it improves your matchup vs rain, M-Lati and Volc with it's priority.

~~

Now, if you wanna keep Latias, it's possible. In this case, I'd just replace Clefable by Ash-Gren for more offensive presence and spikes which is great considering the offensive route this team takes. Also, I'd highly consider making Charizard DD as I think it makes more sense with Latias' healing wish support. DD Zard-X can threaten the opposing team a lot faster as it helps the team by breaking threatening defensive mons while also having sweeping potential.

Importables [1&2] mellowyellowhd (slashed all the options in the imports, hope that will answer your questions below)

Last edited:
Hey, that's a pretty cool team you got there though I feel it could be improved a little. I'm gonna keep this rate short since I'm on phone. Basically, this team has issues against generic heatran + scarf lando + ferrel teams as this combination kinda walls your team and it doesn't appreciate hazard stack either since your remover is Latias. It's true that the core is a bit weak to zard-x but oftentimes these kinds of teams e twill carry another way to deal w/ it and pressure your whole team (gren for example) so it's kinda tricky to deal w/ those archetypes. Besides that, there also are some weaknesses outlined before such as Koko, Rain, Volc and M-Lati.

• First off, I'd suggest Scarf Lando > Defensive. The reason being that it is, imo, a much more reli'able recover than Latias since it's able to force out a lot more money such as heatran on which you can Defog as it switches. Also, it gives the team a reliable way to revenge kill things like Tapu Koko and doesn't sacrifice the defensive utility thanks to its bulky spread. I'd run HP Fire on it to check Kartana (and somewhat ferro) since Clefable checks Zygarde.
  • Talking about Clefable, I'd tweak its set a little. I know your current set is an important part of this team but since I changed Lando, I'd just make Clefable rocks. Also, for it's 4th slot, I think Thunder Wave is the superior option here since cm clef is just kinda easy to prepare for and twave helps you to cripple dangerous sweepers like Volc.
  • This one is mainly an alternative option but I'd definitely consider running Explosion > HP Fire on Magearna, mainly for Volc as it deals ~80% to it, putting it in range of priority.
  • Finally, I'd do one major change in Ash-Gren > Latias which will add a lot more offensive presence to the team, a pseudo heatran switchin, and hazards in spikes. It's really cool because it improves your matchup vs rain, M-Lati and Volc with it's priority.

~~

Now, if you wanna keep Latias, it's possible. In this case, I'd just replace Clefable by Ash-Gren for more offensive presence and spikes which is great considering the offensive route this team takes. Also, I'd highly consider making Charizard DD as I think it makes more sense with Latias' healing wish support.

Will edit with imports later
These changes look great, I'll be sure to give them a try. For the Scarf Lando set, would you recommend a bulky scarf or just the standard scarf on smogon? I'm sad to see the Clef set go but the inconsistency was kinda annoying me, it either wins because it's so hard to kill or I get crit and end up losing, usually the latter, and I'm kinda forced into running rocks anyway so w/e. Explosion on Magearna sounds fun, HP Fire isn't too necessary either since I have big daddy to fuck over Ferro and Zor anyway. I agree with the Ash Gren change too, I'm not too fond of either of the Lati twins outside of their megas, I just thought Latias worked really well bc Healing Wish and it patched up some matchups in regards to revenge killing. One thing though, since I'm not using a Z, should I run it on Gren? I might tinker with Darkinium Z since most stuff switching into Gren resists Waterium anyway. Thanks for the rate!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)