Girotina's revenge!

GIROTINA'S REVENGE!

INTRODUCTION

After the spike on Deoxys-A usage I thought other not so used Ubers needed some love too. From the suggested pokes for CCAT, Shaymin-S was left behind because "it's a dirty pokemon" or "it's annoying". Well if that's a valid argument, then some may say that stall as a playstyle is also "annoying" or "dirty".

Anyways, I tried to come up with a team showcasing Skymin. But to my surprise, my MVP didn't turn out to be Skymin but Girotina (yes, with an O). This team abuses hazards with Girotina's unique set and Shaymin-S ability to create switches and stall out several pokes with Substitute + Leech Seed. The team did better than I thought, getting +1500 (top 15) in the PO ladder. I guess I could have gone higher but I was just trying to prove a point. I'd have tested this on the Smogon ladder but honestly few people ladder there.

TEAM BUILDING

Like I said, the team started off with Shaymin-S in mind so it was my first pick.

Then I thought Toxic Spikes would be beneficial for the SubSeed set. I don't like Tentacruel that much because it means you kinda have to run Kyogre, and as a moral rule I try to avoid using Kyogre on my team. So Forretress was my pick.

Now I needed a spin blocker if I was going to abuse T-spikes. I originally thought of Ghost Arceus but then I remember this set I wanted to try with Giratina-A so I chose him instead.

Since my only offensive pokemon is not exactly the bulkiest, I decided to have my trusty bulky Dialga who has proven me many times how versatile he is.

I usually don't like to have scarf pokes for some reason so I always try to include some speedy attacker (Deoxys-A in the past). This time I went with Mewtwo because I can't afford switching that much with this team.

Finally, I know for a fact that 95% of the teams I face are rain based. So just to against the metagame I went with Groudon. He is also my physical attacker and late game sweeper.

TEAM REVIEW

Haxmin @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Timid (+Spe / -Atk)
16 HP / 252 SpAtk / 240 Spe

Leech Seed
Air Slash
Substitute
Seed Flare

Ah, Haxmin. How many rage quits I've seen because of him? The reason I put him as a "lead" is for the remote chance that people might think it's scarfed. I rarely use him as lead unless I suspect (or guess) they might lead with Groudon or Darkrai (who I outspeed). EVs are straightforward, enough speed to outspeed Darkrai and the rest in HP. I don't care about speed tying with other Shaymin-S because I've only seen another one in +100 battles plus the extra HP does help (I've survived a lot of things with <10 HP). Normally I don't bring him into battle unless TS are up. If they are, then possible switch-ins are Ferrothorn or Chansey (they have to be smart switches otherwise status owns him).

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Calm (+ SpDef, -Atk)
252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpDef

Spikes
Rapid Spin
Volt Switch
Toxic Spikes

I remember that I used Forry to spin (or at least try) on my old sun team. To your surprise, I used to spin 25% of the times. This time, it's mostly for setting up Toxic Spikes. If I see a Tentacruel on the other team then I go for Spikes. Volt Switch is very useful and helps me switch against Giratina-A without getting statused. Normally I lead with Forry so that I can get poison damage asap. I usually don't keep him alive very long unless there is a Deoxys-A in the other team. If they try to spinblock with their ghost then I get more hazard layers.

Girotina @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Careful (+SpDef / -SpAtk)
236 HP / 236 SpDef / 20 Spe

Substitute
Calm Mind
Will O' Wisp
Dragon Tail

My MVP. Extra cool points if you figure out where/who did I steal the name from. I know what you are thinking. What is this rubbish set? CM with no special attack and a negative nature?? Well the thing is, I've found that Giratina's role as spin blocker often allows opposing spinner (Tenta or Forry) to set up their own hazards while he 1. switches in 2. WoW/Dragon Tail. I've seen few players taking this into their own advantage using both Giratina/Gira-O's SubCM set (I guess Gira-A can also run a Resttalk CM set but imo is not very effective). With this set, you become almost untouchable. Will O' Wisp against steels who don't get poisoned by TS and physical attackers (some EKArceus run Lum Berry), Careful nature + CM allows me to stall out special attackers while poison -and hopefully hazards- damage racks up. If they try to go into CM wars (Kyogre, Manaphy, Mewtwo, Arceus and the nowadays rare Latios) then just Dragon Tail them. The speed EVs ensure that he is faster than most phazers (support Groudon/Dialga, CroOgre, Skarmory). Only Lugia and Ghost Arceus are faster and I can't afford to put speed EVs just to outphaze them. Lugia is not that common anymore and Roar on Ghost Arceus is also not that common. If I see Lugia I just need to not let him switch on me by dragon tailing his tail(?) on the switch-in. If unavoidable I can Will O' Wisp Lugia as it phazes me so that it will take passive damage over time. I've ran into several teams that let me CM as they lay multiple hazards just to lose to Girotina + one layer of TS. If I see Tenta on the other team I try to get either SR or a layer of Spikes and then switch Girotina quickly before TS are on my field otherwise this set loses effectiveness. The EVs are specially defensive oriented because this is my first answer to Kyogre. Water Spout deals about 30-35% when scarfed and maxes out at 51% when Specs so I avoid being 2HKOed without SR (most SpecsOgre are leads so no SR on my field right away). Substitute helps a lot against physical attackers, crits, status, Trick, flinches, Leech Seed, etc. plus along with pressure it drains PP while they try to break my sub as I CM. This set is really something, not a super general slap-onto-any-team set, but try it and see it yourself.

Dialga @ Leftovers
Nature: Modest (+SpAtk / -Atk)
252 HP / 240 SpAtk / 8 SpDef / 8 Spe

Roar
Thunder
Fire Blast
Dragon Pulse

My bulky Dialga. It's my check against Kyogre and Manaphy. Based on the other -rain- team, if I think my Girotina is gonna play a big role in a hazard war, then I lead with Groudon (to get the sun up) and then switch in Dialga as it takes little from Kyogre in the sun. Fire Blast and Thunder gives him perfect coverage under the most used weathers (rain and sun) and it is also my answer to Giratina-O. Roar helps to rack up hazards damage and avoids those pinky blobs who are always lured by it.

BigDaddy @ Life Orb
Nature: Modest (+SpAtk / -Atk)
4 Def / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe

Will O' Wisp
Ice Beam
Psystrike
Flamethrower

Modest Mewtwo because I need the firepower to punch holes through teams. Timid means I speed tie with other Mewtwos and I don't like speed ties. Downside is that I get outspeed by Darkrai (and max speed Arceus forms I think) although most players assume this is Timid so they don't risk it. WoW is just as safety control against Arceus, Wobba or Jirachis (in rain). I guess I could change that, but when I had CM, it wasn't thaaat useful to be honest.

Groudon @ Life Orb
Ability: Drought
Nature: Adamant (+ Atk, - SpAtk)
88 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def / 124 Spe

Rock Polish
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Stealth Rock

My late/mid game sweeper. I don't "try" to set up a RP sweep unless I notice they don't have an answer for it. I usually use him to set up SR and sometimes as a lead to catch off guard support Dialgas with EQ (most think this is support Groudon leading). Other than that, the EVs are meant to outspeed scarf Palkia after one RP and the rest goes to attack and split between HP and Def. If you have a better EV spread then I'm all ears.

CONCLUSION

This team may not the best out there but it was a fun test. It also helped to prove myself two things:

1) Skymin's viability with TS around
2) Girotina's set

Hope you have enjoyed this RMT, constructive criticism is welcomed. I guess I could use a more effective Mewtwo set/EV spread for example.

REPLAYS

Here are some recent replays against decent players. I always try to include these in RMTs as it shows better how does it handle certain threats. I think most of them were against rain teams (how surprising). It was hard to come up with good replays because a lot of my wins were rage quits. I hope these will show you how annoying my Girotina set can be!

THREAT LIST

These pokes are big threats to this team. I'd like to hear suggestions as to how to deal with them.

Mewtwo: Girotina is my best choice but if it is damaged then Mewtwo can sweep through my team.

Rayquaza: I've seen his usage spiked a little. Tough to handle unless you know which set he is running. SD set coupled with EK Arceus is very hard to counter.

Reshiram: I have no answer for this one. I switch between Forry and Girotina and try to get it behind a sub so I can deal with him between Dragon Tail + Hazards.

Smeargle: If it leads then I have a small chance if I lead with Shaymin. But most Smeargle teams lead with Deoxys-S, so I usually get screwed by him.

Arceus Dark: Tough to handle if my team is weakened or if he is the last poke.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey, nice team! I can't see any fixes to help against those threats right now without changing your team drastically, although a Chansey would help you against Mewtwo and Reshiram.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled / Heal Bell / Stealth Rock

Chansey has a monster Special Defense stat, and can take hits from the most powerful special attackers. If you see either Mewtwo or Reshiram, your best bet would be to get Toxic Spikes up, and then go to this little blob and stall them out with Wish / Softboiled and Protect. You wouldn't need Toxic because of Forretress' Toxic Spikes. If you're gonna use this on your team, I'd say put it over Dialga, because Chansey can still be your switch-in to Kyogre. You should definitely try this out and see if you can deal with Mewtwo / Reshiram better

Will-o-Wisp isn't helping that much on Mewtwo, because a +2 Arceus can OHKO it with ExtremeSpeed, sadly. Any of Taunt / Calm Mind / Recover will come in handy in the slot. Taunt can stop things like Wobbuffet, Chansey, Lugia, Giratina, and what have you. Calm Mind will give you a big boost in power if you want to attempt a sweep, although you should probably run Timid if you're gonna do that. Recover might seem wierd, but if you use it right, it's good. The trick is to Recover as your opponent switches, which will happen a lot, because Mewtwo is a beast! Also, definitely use Fire Blast > Flamethrower, because the extra power is nice, especially with the sun that Groudon brings.

On Groudon, replace Stealth Rock with Overheat. This will let you take out Steel-types that might try and stop your sweep (The ones that don't mind Earthquake of course). In particular, this is for Skarmory, but it also helps against Ferrothorn and Forretress. Oh, and it's a safer attack for Shaymin-S once you've set up, because your really really don't want to miss against one of those. You still need Stealth Rock on your team, but just not on a Pokemon that you intend on sweeping with. Put Stealth Rock on Dialga / Chansey (whichever you go with, it doesn't matter), or Forretress if you don't mind being without Spikes.

Good luck with the team, I hope I helped!

I would honestly run the rest talk set on giratina as it can be more of its ability to cripple physical attackers, take hits from special sweepers phaze someone thats trying to set up and recover all damage with rest

Hey, that's a pretty good team you got there ;D

Anyway, there are two main changes I'd like to reccomend:

1) Make Giratina Physically Defensive

Since Groudon is neither Physically Defensive or carries Dragon Tail, you may struggle against Espeed Arceuses (Arcei?) with a Lum Berry. True Giratina (sorry, Girotina ;) ) can phaze it out, but will take a metric crapton from Shadow Claw before doing so and can come in later to wreak havoc. Changing the SDef EVs to Defensive EVs should help remedy this. Besides, you have CM to boost SDef

2) Reshiram > Mewtwo

Although Mewtwo is indeed a fearsome sweeper, Reshiram, due to the presence of Groudon, may be even more fearsome. I'd also reccomend giving it a choice scarf, as you lack a dedicated revenge killer.

Something like this should suffice:

Reshiram @ Choice Scarf
Turboblaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid/Modest
- Draco Meteor
- Blue Flare
- Solarbeam
- Dragon Pulse/Fusion Flare/Hidden Power [Rock]

The first two moves are staple on this set, giving Reshiram perfect neutral coverage and two extremely powerful STABs. Solarbeam is coverage, and is good for dealing with the odd Water Arceus or Gastrodon, who's popularity in Ubers is rising. The last move slot is the 'reliability' slot. Dragon Pulse being the alternative to Draco Meteor when you want to carry on a sweep and Fusion Flare being the alternative to the more powerful, but less accurate, version. You could also run HP Rock, if you wanted to repeatedly hit Lugia or Ho-Oh hard.

Hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)