'Gimmicks' on other communities

about a year ago on the nintendo forums I made an alt account and claimed that it was my brother, and used it to stir up trouble whenever things got boring

which was a lot

then he got banned =(

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Pretending to be 13 to get past that "You must be 13 or over to enter" sort of message seems so long ago and makes me feel old. :/
orly

when I was under 13 I didn't have to pretend to get onto message boards because THERE WAS NO INTERNET

I am pretty much the opposite to how I come across on the internet. On the internet I have barely any tolerance for anybody, and lash our at anyone like I've been drinking all day or something. I still hold true to my opinions on music and such, but do not put my opinions across as I'd like to.

Not really on the internet, but I frequently used NetBattle pretending to be the user "TheNewGod." Heh, I'm sure my profile description got a laugh out of some people

To be honest, how do we know that anything here is real? How do we distinguish one user from another, other than by names? Perhaps we learn to recognize each other's writing styles, like how someone could recognize the voices of friends out of a crowd. Or perhaps certain users have the habit of doing things that others pick up on? It's an interesting thought, at least to me, particularly because I'm a writer.

... I'm a fucking ninja!

My current screen name started off as a gimmick for messing with a mate on Yahoo Pool years and years ago. I made a few friends under the name so I just kept it. That and it's easy to type.

I've had a few others, but this one's stuck. I now get called it in real life by people I know at uni who I first met online.

Karrot

plant
is a Past WCoP Champion
I'm a girl on half the forums I go on, and the other half I'm a guy. Quite frankly I don't know what gender I am!!

hi my name is nikki ^__^

When the Internet was young and new and AOL was the most popular ISP, there was a lot of excitement over the fact that because communication is restricted entirely to text, everyone would be on a level field, with no one being able to discriminate based on race, gender, or physical handicap. While I do agree that the Internet makes this possible, it usually requires quite a bit of dishonesty to put into effect.

In practically every community, you will inevitably find cliques. Because of how vast the Internet is, no matter how low you are, you are always higher than someone else and have to maintain that supremecy. Of course, cliques aren't always based on supremacy, but often Interest, but communities are often formed based on interest, which is why there is a hierarchy within each group. Because of this, people are often encouraged to conform to what they believe would be an accepted character. Sometimes this encouragement is subtle, making examples of those who don't conform, but it's not rare that I find this done deliberately. The command "LURK MOAR" can more accurately be interpreted as an order to spend more time studying the social habits of those within the existing community so that you can more closely imitate them. This is why it is inevitable that people will censor themselves depending on the community. My behavior on Smogon is significantly different than my behavior on Slashdot, because I'm performing for two completely different audiences.

I very often find myself trolling to communicate with those who share my interests and motives. I'm still a (fairly) active member of Pojo, and while Pojo has intelligent posters, they are far outnumbered by naive and relatively uniformed users. If someone asks a seemingly pointless question, but in an articulate manner, my answer is often made with the intent of determining whether their naivete is genuine. I usually give an incredibly obtuse answer that provides the OP with significantly more technical information than is necessary and prattle off a detailed explanation for this incorporating vocabulary that they are unlikely to comprehend. If the OP has the mental capacity to comprehend my response, hopefully he will respond in a similar manner. Also, when asking questions, I usually make several self-deprecating remarks, but word it in such a way that it is apparent that I posses far more technical knowledge or understanding of the subject than I am admitting. This is trolling in perhaps its most subtle form: those who do not understand my intents are perplexed and eventually leave me alone, and those who share my interests and motives are likely to respond to my homing beacon.

On practically every Internet community that I am a member of, I conduct myself as though I am a social misfit IRL and have noted that many others do the same, deliberately lying to cultivate the impression that they are significantly less well-adjusted than they are IRL. One of the more notable examples I have seen is an acquaintance of mine who sheepishly admitted to everyone on ABS IRC that he had spent his Saturday night at a LAN party, when in fact he had been at a more traditional recreational party. Of course, the people who actually DO spend all weekend at a LAN cafe are usually complaining about a hangover the next day.

During my time on Smogon, I have lived a life of lies. I have often feigned cluelessness my entire time here. Of course, I'm fairly confident that quite a few of you were able to ascertain that long ago, because it is a commonplace practice throughout the Internet. Some of the most perceptive people I know deliberately cultivate the impression that they have relatively little knowledge on whatever subject is being discussed. No Internet persona is genuine, and some require intense fabrication to maintain, but are that almost anyone who's assumed an identity on the Internet has tweaked that identity to fit the role that they feel would most easily fit into whatever social circle it is they're trying to enter, or at least attract those who share similar interests, and to condemn this higher-maintenance fabrication is hypocritical.

I guess that would make me quite a hypocrite.

(Every post is a repost)

Wow, Kikuichimonji, that was pretty long.

Honestly, if I'm doing a gimmick depends on if you are percieving me as a boy or as a girl...

I remember i once played an MMO called runescape. i was introduced to it by a guy i met in a chat room. anyway I discovered that his name on the game was "AznPrincess0098" or something like that. He sent me a pm and said "look everyone here thinks I'm a girl don't tell anyone plz" I never spoke to him
again.I understand why a girl would pretend to be a guy (a ward against love starved nerds) but why would a guy pretend to be a girl? I dont know and its possible i don't want to know.

honestly it doesnt matter if u are a boy or girl on the internet.

unless u have a webcam.... if u play pokemon and can communicate u should be able to live here.

the internet is anonymous and i can be a 15 year old stripper from hong kong if i want to be.... why i would want to be... that is unknown..

but the possibility is there.....

but if im sitting here on a forum talking to a bunch of people about a subject and have intelligent input into the conversation.. who really cares if you are a 56 year old midget that lives in his moms basement.

I used to masquerade around in places I didn't particularly care to be part of the community as A.Coz (props if you know where the name came from), and I used that name to troll several places. Now, though, I use several different nicks for my trolling needs, usually based off of album or song names from various bands.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)