Get 'em Kabutops!: VGC 2010 RMT

Xzibit Approves (props to Lugia): VGC 2010 RMT

Yep, revamped, and in a good way, get em! Anyways, my last team was…well…bad. So, I decide to go back to my original idea based off of a Sub-Lugia set and to go from there, as that was how my original team was going to be done before I changed it.

So, yeah, here it is. Critiques all around. Lend me your ideas, all of that jazz, etc etc.

The Squadron:

Lugia @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 Speed
-Substitute
-Roost
-Aeroblast
-Dragon Pulse/Earth Power

My sub-Lugia at work. This is sort of a modified version of another Lugia set, so you may see some similarities. Mainly, Lugia’s charge is to put up a substitute and then either recover (roost, in this case) or go on attacking.

Substitute is obviously required for this set. Roost is there if I get the chance to recover health behind the sub, but it’ll be situational. Because I need Lugia to stay in as long as possible as a lead, it would be beneficial to hide behind a sub to get a free Roost so that way even if the sub falls, Lugia still has HP to spare.

Aeroblast is just because it’s Aeroblast. But, in all seriousness, this attack has STAB, an above-average critical hit ratio, 100 base power and has a cool name. Most, if not all Lugia sets have Aeroblast, so I’ll just be a victim of ad populum and go with it.

Finally, the last move here is sort of iffy, split up between Dragon Pulse and Earth Power. Both have a bit of a surprise factor to it, namely Dragon Pulse, but I’m really not sure what would be the most effective with a lead Lugia. This is where I do need some assistance.

Weavile
@ Focus Sash

Ability: Pressure
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Speed / 252 Atk / 4 HP
-Fake Out
-Brick Break
-Night Slash
-Ice Shard

This is Lugia’s best friend. Lugia needs some sort of distraction first turn to get sub up, so Weavile is here for just that reason. Being a Fake Out user, Weavile is also for a good revenge killer, since he won’t be staying in once the game starts that long.

Fake Out is the obvious choice here. It should allow Lugia time to set the first sub up, as well as being useful later in the game when Weavile has to be brought back in. Essentially, it helps bide time for whatever teammate that needs it.

Brick Break is for any steel types, but namely Dialga, but also for anyone like Blissey. Though it’s not that great on damage, it can leave some good blows if used correctly.

Night Slash was put up over Pursuit namely because I think I’ll get more use out of this (yay for higher crit ratio!), especially when doubles matches don’t have as much switching as singles does. Otherwise, it’s a great STAB move that can do some good damage on guys like Mewtwo.

Finally, Ice Shard. Who doesn’t want a STAB priority? Just in case Fake Out doesn’t do the trick, Weavile has another priority up his sleeve to take out any stragglers or whatnot.

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Ability: Air Lock
Nature: Hasty
EVs: 252 SpecAtk / 216 Speed / 40 Atk
-Draco Meteor
-Earthquake
-Thunder
-Extremespeed

A Mixquaza at your service. Rayquaza has a great special attack that is…well, not only exactly like his attack stat, but is good enough to allow him to abuse some great special moves. Rayquaza’s main objective here is anti-weather. As everyone and their grandma will be using Kyogre, it will certainly be a nice change of pace for that weather to go away. So, in comes Rayquaza.

First, Ray’s bread and butter, Draco Meteor. This attack packs one hell of a punch and guys like Palkia and other Ray’s won’t like it. It’ll certainly be a surprise, too, since there are a lot of physically-based Ray’s out there and not so many of this.

Next, Earthquake, which was originally going to be Outrage. I decided on Earthquake namely because of the fact that it can hit two enemies at a time and that, if the case arises, Lugia doesn’t need to do anything to avoid it (my fourth won’t either with protect, so only Weavile needs to not get hit, which is easy since I just won’t use it). Dialga certainly won’t like EQ since Draco Meteor won’t do as much against him. Metagross players won’t like it either.

Third, Thunder. Yes, Thunder. Why? Kyogre is why. Kyogre is too big of a threat not to have a check for and especially since those guys like to run either Ice Beam or Blizzard, it would be nice to do something about it. Thunder is truly situational, mainly in case a Kyogre gets put out after Ray does. Though I don’t want to take a chance with missing, I may have to, though the rewards are with risking for. Again, it’ll take advantage of his great special attack stat and will put Kyogre to bed.

Finally, Extremespeed. It’s expected. A good priority move to clean up any mess my opponent still has left. Nothing much can be said here.

And, finally…

Metagross @ Leftovers

Ability: Clear Body
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Speed
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Protect
-Rock Slide

Metagross the tank. Not much can be done against a hefty Metagross with teammates like Rayquaza hassling opponents, so Metagross is really there to make things worse. Taking down Metagross in a special-centric metagame can be hard (unless your Ho-Oh or Groudon), but overall, Metagross has a lot going for it. His stats make him pretty sharply toned for taking hits, especially physically-oriented ones and really anything in general.

First is Meteor Mash. Can’t explain much here. It’s a good STAB, that’s all there is to it. Though, the 20% chance of raising ATK one stage is nice, but I’m not banking on it (again, it would be nice).

Earthquake is another big move in this game that can really bring on the hurt. With two of my teammates not affected by EQ at all, as long as Weavile isn’t out and there’s a non-flying/magnet rise-using target to it, Metagross is as good as gold. Earthquake hits hard and hits all opponents. What’s not to love?

Protect finally shows up on my team. Metagross probably won’t be seeing too much action early in the match unless I truly need it, and if that’s the case, keeping him alive near the end is critical, thus making Protect viable for this slot.

Finally, Rock Slide. Rock Slide is for any pesky flying type that didn’t want to go down before, as well as being a two-opponent attacking move and the possibility of a flinch (though, Metagross may get outrun by a lot of people anyways, so it may not matter, unless TR is in effect)

So, there’s my team, let me know of any and all suggestions, revisions, comments, questions, etc. Thanks!

There is a reason kabutops is UU, and it really is only viable in this type of team with rain support.

Well, obviously I know why he is UU, but that's why the chance for rain (ie, Kyogre being so common) can be used to my advantage.

Plus, if you don't tell me what would be a good replacement for him, just saying he sucks doesn't help much. And saying that there are tons of replacements doesn't help either. Give me something concrete.

Well, obviously I know why he is UU, but that's why the chance for rain (ie, Kyogre being so common) can be used to my advantage.

Plus, if you don't tell me what would be a good replacement for him, just saying he sucks doesn't help much. And saying that there are tons of replacements doesn't help either. Give me something concrete.
dont mis quote me. i didnt say it sucked or mention anything about replacements. realistically, you can't expect every team to have rain support right? and im hoping your team is made to beat em all ;).

I'll assume that you want something that functions similar to your kabutops. a fast physical sweep with a priority attack. a physical life orb rayquaza. you want either naughty, lonely, hasty or naive, 252 att, 252 spe, 4 hp. extreme speed, outrage, roost/dd, overheat.

dont mis quote me. i didnt say it sucked or mention anything about replacements. realistically, you can't expect every team to have rain support right? and im hoping your team is made to beat em all ;).

I'll assume that you want something that functions similar to your kabutops. a fast physical sweep with a priority attack. a physical life orb rayquaza. you want either naughty, lonely, hasty or naive, 252 att, 252 spe, 4 hp. extreme speed, outrage, roost/dd, overheat.
Ray and Kabutops are two very different pokemons.
If he wanted something that works (unless he wants an anti-weather team) in both sun and rain (90% of all weathers), he should go for something like Palkia (TC, which "theme" or playstyle are you aiming for? TR? Rain? Sun? Anti-weather?). Also, both roost and dd are quite terrible moves in the doubles and this IS doubles not singles. While I do not fully agree with your statement about UU pokemons, I won't talk about that in here. However, I will say that being an UU pokemon in singles does not mean it's an UU in the doubles (look at ludicolo, toxicroak, abomasnow <-- bl but meh, and many more).

As for the team...TC...what playstyle are you aiming for?

I personally believe things like Palkia and Kingdra would fit the slot in which Kabutops is currently in. Also, I absolute despise choice items in the doubles...i hate them. As for heatran, the abundance of the rain team and especially palkia and kyogre really does not help him. In addition, while it is true heatran can deal some solid damage to dialga with earth power, dialga is faster and also has aura sphere to tear tran apart.

My original idea was to have a sub-Lugia with a Fakeout Weavile as a lead, followed by a Mewtwo in the back and something else as my fourth, but I was told that was not a good idea, so I came up with this.

Well, the original was to let Lugia sub up and do whatever. This one was...well...get rid of everyone that can hurt Kabutops and...let Kabutops do stuff.

Yeah, I liked my other one better. Sub-lugia sounds much better than this, lol.

Bumpage!

As I cannot make another thread, I redid this and just editted the first post, so disregard past stuff relating to the old team and all of that.

Thanks!

I actually like the current setup.
Sure Rayquaza is really giving up the defensive capabilities by trashing away the move protect, but with the current moveset, it will cause havok.
However, could you consider the item haban or yache on him?
I think even without life orb, he will do well enough offensively.

as for your sub lugia set...it's rather odd but with his/her astonishing defensive stats as well as its incredible speed, it can vgc-style stall. though...you'd have to watch out for rain team's thunders, which may be an annoyance.

Yes, I do agree, Rayquaza would do fine without it. It was sort of an added measure. I'm thinking of going with Haban in case of dragon types, since I feel that'll help more in the long run.

As for Lugia, do you think going for a stall set would be better than sub? I'm fine with either, but I was wary that stalling in VGC wouldn't work too well.

stalling wouldn't work too well in vgc but there is avgc-style stall though
i guess it would be kind of like quick stall of the ubers in smogon :/

Do you have an example of such a stall set?

EDIT: Plus, I think sub will really just do better with this team, as it's not a stall team. Though, still not sure between Earth Power and Dragon Pulse on Lugia. I'm leaning towards DP.

it would be your sub lugia
offensive pokemon with defensive sets vice versa
there aren't too many because stall in general just isn't too great
but it could work but with your team, that just wouldn't work sincex your team is (like 99.9999% of the vgc teams...including all of mine lol) very offensively oriented

edit: as for your lugia...you should look at these sets if you already haven't: http://skarmbliss.com/forum/index.php?topic=172.0
oh and i'd go with earth power just so there are quite a few dialga leads nowadays. sigh...i wish they could let us use 6 pokemons...it would make it so much easier lol...

but that means you'd have to switch...which would suck because pretty much you'd have a hard time against any dialga leads since weavile can't do much either.

Some simple suggestions:

I don't think Lugia fits in the team. He needs to do support or Calm Mind to be useful. You should change it for on eof the two options I gave above.

Weavile loves to have Low Kick. Take out Brick Break for Low Kick, since it will do a lot more damage to everything and Double-Screens are extremely rare on VGC.

Rayquaza (as Mewtwo) is extremely frail on this metagame. You ABSOLUTELY need a Yache Berry to whitstand those Randoms un-stabbed blizzards and Ice Shards.

Metagross is not going to do any damage with that EV spread. He has an awesome attack stat, so why waste it? You should change the EV spread to 248 HP/252atk/8 SpDef with an Adamant Nature. Those HP EVs give an odd HP number, so you will take less damage from Hail/Sandstorm when Rayquaza is out. You don't need speed, almost all Groudon and Kyogre run -Speed nature, 0 Speed IVs and sometimes an Iron Ball.

I see SubRoost Ho-oh doing some damage here, though.

Golden, all of those changes seem pretty good. I may end up doing literally all of that (maybe even going as far as just replacing Rayquaza with, say, Palkia).

With palkia, might as well just use the rain team with the #1 abused combo: ogre+palkia
with ogre being support and palkia being the sweeper.

I think you should just take out Rayquaza. His fragility just makes your team have one less member from pretty early. Props for the idea of using Palkia. This is the most common set for it (and for something):

Palkia @Haban Berry
Timid
[Pressure]
EV's: 252 SpAtk, 6 SpDef, 252 speed

Spacial Rend/Dragon Pulse
Flamethrower/Aura Sphere
Protect
Thunder

In the case of Spacial Rend, I recommend it over Dragon Pulse because of the higher BP and the higher chance of CH. Dragon Pulse is just if you feel you have very little PPs on Spacial Rend and you care a lot about accuracy.

In Flamethrower's spot you can also try for Aura Sphere, but you will lose a way to hit Shedinja, who will always end the battle if the opponent doesn't have a way to hit it. And the most common weather will be rain, so it will remain untoucheable by weather ¬¬

Well, what if I were to fit in protect on Rayquaza?
that would work just fine.
while rayquaza is frail, it certainly is incredibly a potent pokemon.
mainly because of rayquaza, the anti-weather teams prevail as one of the most popular/competent playstyle.

If I don't use Palkia instead of Ray, I was thinking of putting in a Mewtwo instead of Lugia and replacing Thunder with Protect on Ray.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)