Genesect [QC 0/2]

[OVERVIEW]
:sm/genesect:

Genesect is an amazing pivot and offensive Pokemon, with its wide movepool, U-turn to generate momentum and to scout its answers, and good speed allows it to unleash its hard-hitting Download-boosted attacks. It does unfortunately have a speed of 99 making it rely on a Choice Scarf or be OHKO’d by Volcarona and Zapdos. It also doesn’t have coverage for fire types such as Heatran and Incineroar leaving it walled by them. Because of this, it appreciates team support from Zygarde, and Volcanion to remove those roadblocks while also taking care of Zeraora and Zapdos in the former, and Amoonguss and Rillaboom in the latter. It also appreciates speed control such as Tailwind and Fake Out so it can fire off its attacks.

[SET]

name: Fast Bug (Choice Scarf)
move 1: U-turn
move 2: Iron Head
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Flamethrower / Thunderbolt
Item: Choice Scarf
ability: Download
nature: Hasty
108 Atk / 148 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* U-Turn is a great tool for generating momentum due to it being able to act as a pivot bringing its teammates in, potentially being Download boosted and greatly damaging Pokemon such as Rillaboom and Tyranitar while scouting switches and bringing its hard hitting teamates.

* Iron head is able to pressure the plethora of Rock and Fairy-types such as Tyranitar, Nihilego, Diancie, and Tapu Lele while also pressuring Kyurem-B, and Tapu Fini.

* Ice Beam can OHKO Ground and Dragon-types such as Dragapult, both Landorus forms, Kommo-o, and Zygarde.

*Flamethrower is used to KO Steel-Types such as Kartana and opposing Genesect, while Thunderbolt can greatly damage water types such as Tapu Fini and Urshifu-R.

*148 Special Attack EV’s make sure to make sure it OHKO’s 4 HP Zygarde with Ice Beam even without a download boost, while 252 speed makes it as fast as possible and the rest are dumped into attack.

[SET]

name: Fashion Bug (Assault Vest)
move 1: U-Turn
move 4: Flamethrower \ Thunderbolt
item: Assault Vest
evs: 108 Atk / 148 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* U-turn alongside Assault Vest allows it to act as a bulky pivot, putting pressure on Pokemon such as Indeedee and Rillaboom and generating momentum, It also can predict a switch allowing it to bring its heavy hitting teammates in.

*Iron Head is Genesects Steel-type physical coverage, having the ability to hit Nihilego, Diancie, Kyurem-B, and Tapu-Lele for huge damage.

*Ice Beam is great coverage to pummel Dragon and Ground types such as Naganadel, Dragaput, Zygarde, and both Landorus forms.

* Flamethrower is able to pressure Steel-types such as Metagross, Kartana, and opposing Genesect while Thunderbolt pressures water types such as Pelliper, Tapu Lele, and Urshifu-R which otherwise they wall the set completely as it can only U-turn out.

*148 Special Attack EV’s are here to guarantee it OHKO’s 4 HP Zygarde with Ice Beam even without a download boost 100% of the time, while 252 speed makes it as fast as possible and the rest are dumped into attack so that its U-turn hits hard.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options

=============

Energy Ball can be run with Rillaboom’s Grassy Terrain to really put the hurt on Water-types such as Tapu Fini and Urshifu-R. Flash Cannon can be used so that it’s not affected by Intimidate, but it loses the ability to pressure Nihilego, Tapu Fini, and Kyurem-B. And Life Orb and Expert Belt both give an extra kick for Genesect’s power. But while they are appealing, they usually aren’t as valuable as the Choice Scarf and Assault vest due to their great utility due to them being able to fill a role excellently.

[CREDITS]

- Written by: [[Powerman103, 519385]]
- Quality checked by: [[username1, userid1], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [username1, userid1]

Last edited:
hey there, just a few quick points to help you along

[OVERVIEW]
Genesect is a amazing offensive Pokemon, with its wide movepool, great defensive typing leaving it with only one weakness, and good speed allows it to unleash its strong download attacks. Choice scarf is a great addition able to outspeed Kartana and Choice Scarf Landorus-T and get a kill. Assault Vest allows it to increase Genesect’s special bulk allowing it to act as a bulky pivot and its ability to revenge kill Pokemon such as Nihilego and Landorus-I though its unfortunate speed of 326 allows it to be knocked out by any stray fire moves from a multitude of Pokemon. It also doesn’t have coverage for fire types such as Volcanion and Heatran.
I think starting off by painting Genesect as a great "offensive Pokemon" is appropriate, but I think elaborating on defensive typing isn't huge. I'm not using Genesect because it resists Fairy. I'm using Genesect because it has one of the most unique sets of coverage in the game, which only a limited number of Pokemon can stop all of its options. Don't describe items in the overview though. Do this in set details. You also don't mention any realistic partners for it. Zygarde and Volcanion would be good for pressuring the Fires that you just mentioned.
[SET]

name: Choice Scarf
move 1: U-turn
move 4: Flamethrower / Thunderbolt
Item: Choice Scarf
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* U-Turn is a great tool for keeping up momentum due to it potentially being Download boosted and greatly damaging Pokemon such as Tapu-Lele and Tyranitar.

* Iron head is able to pressure the plethora of Rock and Fairy-types such as Tyranitar, Nihilego, Diancie, and Tapu Lele while also pressuring Kyurem-B.

* Ice Beam can OHKO Ground-Types such as Zygarde-50% and both Landorus forms with ease while pummeling Grass-types such as Rillaboom and Amoonguss.

* It has variance in its last move, it can run Flamethrower to KO Steel-Types such as Kartana and opposing Genesect, and Thunderbolt can greatly damage water types such as Tapu Fini and Urshifu-R.

*252 Attack and 252 Speed is able to maximize its offensive potential while using its hit and run style while the rest is in special attack and a Hasty nature to increase its speed and not affect its special attack.

I strongly recommend using the EV spread 108 Atk / 148 SpA / 252 Spe, as it allows Genesect to always OHKO 4 HP Zygarde with Ice Beam without relying on the Download boost.

I like to describe U-turn as generating momentum rather than keeping it up, because the latter implies that you always have the edge and youre just clicking the button to maintain. U-turn is one of the best tools for gaining back lost board. But you have a bit of an error in your logic in this line in that this momentum comes from Download boosted damage onto... neutral targets? The momentum comes from the free switch. The download boosted bug move is good for threatening bug weak Pokemon. Rillaboom is the number one most used mon in the tier, so I would start there. Necrozma has also been making waves recently so that can be your second mention.

I would like some sort of elaboration as to why I'm running Iron head and not flash cannon. your current line doesn't really sell me on anything more than "it's the steel move"

I would not say Ice Beam "pummels Rillaboom and Amoonguss" since it isn't even 2HKOing either without a Download boost.

I'm really not a fan of AV Gene as a whole and think it should be moved to OO but we can talk about it.

Other Options

=============
Energy Ball can be run with Rillaboom’s Grassy Terrain to really put the hurt on Water-types such as Tapu Fini and Urshifu-R. Life Orb can be run to give it the extra power it needs to OHKO Pokemon such as Bulky Kyurem-B and Indeedee. A Shift Gear set can be used but it can’t touch Fire types at all. And it can use its Douse Drive alongside its signature Techno Blast to absolutely destroy Heatran and Modest Volcorona, but it also loses to Volcanion, and it takes an Item and move slot. Expert Belt is able to captialize to its many coverage moves able to ensure KO's while not damaging itself.
I have never seen anyone competent use Shift Gear or Douse Drive, so those can go for sure. With Life Orb/EBelt/AV it is HUGE to mention that Genesect will greatly feel the loss in Speed, being outsped by Kartana/Max Zapdos/Pult can be really unfortunate for it. Flash Cannon is probably worth a mention here for being a steel move unaffected by intimidate, the downsides being that it does less to Nihilego, AV Kyu-B, and Tapu Fini.

as promised. gonna try out a new QC style for this one, your sentences/points that I want to highlight will be marked green. my words will be in normal text.

first off, a note on formatting: please fix your spacing because it makes our life easier. you can see what your thread/post will look like by hitting the "preview" in the bottom right corner.
Additionally, please just name them "Choice Scarf" and "Assault Vest". Do not use backslashes ( these '\' ) in sets.
Leave a space in between your asterisks and your comments.

"Zygarde-50%" is just Zygarde. The spelling and grammar standards have pretty much any form covered, just ctrl-f to find what you're looking for.

Overview

"Genesect is a amazing offensive Pokemon, with its wide movepool, and good speed allows it to unleash its hard-hitting Download-boosted attacks."

I would like this to emphasize that Genesect is a pivot. It's best to open up with what the Pokemon does best first, and Gene is insanely good at this. I think elaboration on the types of Pokemon that its coverage is effective against either in this sentence or one immediately after it.

" Though its unfortunate speed of 99 allows it to be knocked out by any stray fire moves from a multitude of Pokemon with a higher speed stat such as Zapdos and Naganadel. It also folds to any speed control since it relies on its speed It also doesn’t have coverage for fire types such as Heatran and Incineroar."

As is, this reads like base 99 speed is what makes it weak to fire. You're also just a bit all over the place here as you bring up both speed issues and fire coverage in both sentences. I think it would be good to split these points for their own sentences: one about how its base 99 Speed can be harmful/reliant on Choice Scarf, and one about having trouble breaking fires, Heatran and Incineroar are good examples.

Choice Scarf

Refer to my last post for how I feel about U-turn. To me it doesn't look like you've changed that part much.

Iron Head is literally unchanged from last time. Did you mean to ask for help?

On Ice Beam, I think I would rather you just mention Landorus-T. IIRC generally when saying both forms you want to just list them explicitly, and I think doing that would just make it flow a little worse.

* It has variance in its last move, it can run Flamethrower to KO Steel-Types such as Kartana and opposing Genesect, and Thunderbolt can greatly damage water types such as Tapu Fini and Urshifu-R.

"it has variance in its last move" is filler and can be cut. Just lead this line with Flamethrower. Volcanion is one of the most compelling reasons to run Thunderbolt so I would include that.

*148 Special Attack EV’s are here to make sure it OHKO’s 4 HP Zygarde with Ice Beam while 252 speed makes it as fast as possible and the rest are dumped into attack so that its U-turn hits hard.

The wording here is a little off. You can just say 148 Special Attack EVs let Genesect OHKO 4 HP Zygarde with Ice Beam. Be sure to clarify that is without a Download boost. Yes, the speed is maxed out but there are reasons, namely outspeeding Kyurem-B and Zygarde after a Dragon Dance. The ending bit just sounds really out of place, so try to rephrase it a bit to sound more formal.

Assault Vest

My same point about U-turn applies here

For consistency's sake, just cover Iron Head here. We'll move Flash Cannon down to other options entirely.

your last three sentences are either completely or nearly copy/pasted from Scarf, this is a no-no. It's okay to drive home the same points but try to have some variance in your language. Explain the merits of Assault Vest somewhere (makes up for its average bulk, freedom to switch moves)

Other Options

Eball fine, I think Belt/LO also fine. Just wanna point out this:

In the last check I said Flash Cannon is worse against Tapu Fini, but you've listed Tapu Koko. Even discounting Tapu Koko's near irrelevancy, it being Fini explicitly is important because a Calm Minding Fini can easily wall Gene very quickly.

While all of these seem appealing, they all lack the speed Genesect Lacks to outspeed Pokemon that the Choice Scarf set checks such as Zapdos and Scarf Landorus-T.

apart from whatever grammatical errors are present, we can just shorten this to say that these items are typically not as valuable as Choice Scarf or Assault Vest

This is a lot to go over so I won't stamp just yet, but we're getting there. You know how to reach me or the rest of the QC team if you have any questions!

you're offline on discord so I'll just reach you here: you may have implemented some of this, but very little of it. a lot of my comments are still unaddressed, especially in the set details after we already talked about you not implementing stuff the first time around.

To me it is apparent that you aren't proofreading your work and/or taking your time because you are rushing to get it checked. Please, be a little more patient and thorough in your work. If you need help, ask for it. I believe you can do it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)