General LC discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh.

I think Croagunk will still be one of the most useful mons in the tier. With all of the easy +2s and etc, Croagunk's priority will be very useful.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
On the weather front, I see Psyduck actually being a lot more viable in general. Its Water STAB lets it fuck up anything trying to take advantage of the permanent weather, and it can run Cross Chop for Munchlax and Ice-types. There's also the possibility of Cloud Nine Lickitung being able to check weather, which can make a big difference in the long run.

Weather will definitely be more powerful (all you guys who thought we were going to unban tangela this gen can suck it), but I think people are going to get more creative with how they choose to check it.

Oh yea I always forget about Lickitung. I actually used it as a weather counter without Cloud nine in Gen4, but with it I guess it'll be that much better.

Any opinions on Darumakka (#554)? His only good stab is Flame Wheel, but he gets 90 base attack powered up by Hustle. His defenses are okay (70/45/45) and he gets access to a bunch of nice things like encore, yawn, rock slide, etc.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hm, I haven't actually played LC before, but I'm just wondering how good Luvdisc might be now that she actually has an evolution now. Base 97 Speed is only outsped by Voltorb and Scarfers, IIRC, so it might be worth just sticking Choice Specs on it and just firing off Hydro Pump (Which she got in 5th gen) for fun.

Hm, I haven't actually played LC before, but I'm just wondering how good Luvdisc might be now that she actually has an evolution now. Base 97 Speed is only outsped by Voltorb and Scarfers, IIRC, so it might be worth just sticking Choice Specs on it and just firing off Hydro Pump (Which she got in 5th gen) for fun.
Luvdisc doesnt evolve. :P

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Unfortunately, it appears Mamanbou won't be a Luvdisc evolution. It's a shame, too, since Swimming Goggles HPump would have been fun with 22+ Speed and a STAB Hydro Pump, even with meh offense.

I thought you had to use moves from before level 5... *shrugs*
You can breed level up moves onto a Pokemon as long as *both* parents know them. The only case in which higher level moves cannot be used are Pokemon that cannot be bred (stuff like event moves), or Pokemon that are Genderless, and as such must breed with Ditto, which cannot have the moves necessary to breed them on.

Dubulous

I look just like Buddy Holly.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Trick Room should see a huge boon now! Not only is it a way to somewhat check weather teams (for instance Bronzor should be able to set up Trick Room easily against Sandstorm teams), it actually gained a lot of decent Pokemon! 577 and 622 in particular look like they could be quite good.

Another guy I reckon could be potentially quite good; Purotooga (#564) AKA mini-archelon.

Has sturdy (or solid rock if you want to use life orb), can take a hit very well on the physical side, reasonable attack, useable special attack and gets STAB priority (Aqua Jet). Oh, and one of the best stat boosts in the game (Shell break). After one break, it sits at a possible 36 attack and 22 speed with Adamant (or Naughty if you want to go mixed)
(and 26 special attack if need be). If he's been damaged before, you can revenge him with Croagunk, but that's about it, I think. He'll smash through just about anything.

I'd use a set like this;

Purotooga @ Sleep Goggles/Oran Berry
EVs: 22 HP / 212 Atk / 96 SpA / 180 Spe
Nature: Naughty
~Shell Break
~Aqua Jet
~Earthquake
~Ice Beam

That's pretty cool actually, but I'd definitely go Waterfall, Stone Edge, Aqua Jet.

I didn't even notice this mon. With Sturdy, it would make an amazing lead with (does it learn SR???) Aqua Jet as a finisher. It's Kabuto with a built-in Sash!

With Solid Rock it would take Gligar Earthquakes. Earthquake only 3HKOes it while you OHKO it back.

Even a slow LO Set would be cool, you can switch it in on dumb shit like Meowth, nail the switch-in with Stone Edge, EQ, or Waterfall and finish it off with Aqua Jet.

Pretty good mon, I actually think it's better than Aaken. Maybe I'll make a thread.

Pre-Evolution Stone will no doubt have a massive effect on Little Cup, giving 50% boost to Pre-Evolutions in both Defense and Special Defense.

I mean, these would be the base stats (HP / Def / SpDef) for some very bulky LC Pokemon from last Generation:

Snover 60/75/90
Hippo 68/117/63
Bronzor 57/129/129
Munchlax 135/60/127
Gligar 65/157/97
Wynaut 95/72/72

We're still awaiting testing to confirm the item, but it could be.. very interesting.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Since afaik we don't know if Dream World abilities will be LC-legal, I will pretend that they aren't for this post.

I am actually fairly disappointed in Megurko, aka the Overconfidence Crocodile Pokemon. It becomes very difficult to stop after it kills a Pokemon, but therein lies the problem. To be worth using over Gligar, it needs to be able to net a kill. It's on the slow side, which to me means that it doesn't hit the magic 19 speed. To compensate for this, I'd probably use Scarf...although I am a little skeptical. I like the looks of M[492], or Trickery, which is a 95 BP Dark-typed move. However, I am a little worried that the description says that the move "does more with a higher attack stat." While yes, Crunch is usable if Trickery ends up falling through, Megurko will really detest the power drop. 15 BP is a hell of a lot in LC. In short: If Scarf Megurko can net a kill or two, it can be damn near unbeatable. The issue is netting that kill.

Uniran (the psychic blob) looks fairly promising for a TR set-up mon. It gets cool STAB in the form of Psycho Shocker, which lets it 2HKO Munchlax thanks hitting Physical Defense, and Psychic. It also gets Energy Ball and Shadow Ball for some pretty decent coverage, not to mention Hidden Power for whatever else it needs to hit. Best of all, these are coming off of the same Special Attack as Abra. Factor in recoilless Life Orb, and you have a superb Trick Roomer on your hands. Its main issue is still Munchlax, as Munchlax underspeeds it, can switch in on any of its moves (including Psycho Shocker ]:), and easily OHKO the relatively frail Uniran. We'll see if that affects its use on TR teams or not when we get a sim up.

I think that while the early LC metagame will be ruled by Weather and field conditions -- mostly Rain, Sand and Trick Room -- we figure out how to effectively deal with it. Just like early LC last generation. However, I definitely think that there will be plenty of viable non-weather teams available for use. Even if weather currently seems insurmountable, I really doubt that teams entirely centered around weather will be the only viable teams. Sure, they offer huge advantages, but they also have the huge disadvantage of having to mainly rely on their associated field effect to get much sweeping done.

I have a quick question. Obviously Tangela and Scyther will stay banned, (Tangela + Vulpix... oh my god) but will things like Missy, Meditite, and Yanma get a test?

I believe we are unbanning all Pokemon.
MUOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO

What d'you think about #592/Pururiru (gotta love that name)/Water/Ghost Jr? Think it'll usurp Duskull as the most annoying bulky ghost? A ton more spd, a chunk less defense, and RECOVER. There's also Water Absorb and Cursed Body, which are both great abilities.

Not to mention unresisted STAB.

Except for the grass/steel thingy. But yeah.

How about

Pururiru
@ Oran
Bold
Max HP/Def
Hydro Pump/Boiling Water
Shadow Ball
Recover
Will-o-wisp/Ice Beam

There's also Trick Room Water Spout, while being immune to a ton of priority moves, like Aqua Jet, Ice Shard, Mach Punch, Extremespeed (if anyone uses that), Quick Attack, Vacuum Wave, and Bullet Punch.

It also has the same Spa as Mantyke.

Dubulous

I look just like Buddy Holly.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm pretty sure that Duskull is still physically bulkier, but no doubt Pururiru will be the bulky Ghost of choice. Recover is HUGE, though I guess there are the merits of using Pain Split with Duskull and its pitiful HP. Water immunity is pretty great (fuck you Mantyke) and Boiling Water is super fun. Only downside is no Levitate, which means no switching in on Gligar (who uses Aqua Tail anyway).

True, but Recover vs Rest? The main advantage this water/ghost has is Recover, before you consider boiling water, which is awesome.

What about the green Psychic blob? It has that sexy 105 base Special Attack (and 20 base Speed for Trick Room).
This gen is a tad too slow Little Cup wise imo.
Perhaps it could be an improved Porygon?

I'm eyeing the new Dark/Fighting guy. New Machop?
Unlikely. Machop's No Guard/Dynamicpunch combo make it unique. I'm sure this... street teenager... will fit in in a different way.

I've heard you can breed in dream world abilities. There is a chance that if a female parent has a dream world ability, whatever you breed from it will. So that means you can't have chain bred egg moves with dream world abilities. On the other hand who cares?

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Personal experiences in LC

I haven't managed to play many people, but from what I've seen myself, Moguryuu is a beast. With Hippo and Moguryuu, you have 4 slots left to stop Gunk, Gligar, Duskull, Pururiru(Water/Ghost), which is pretty easy. You then have SR up, hopefully with Spikes too from something else, and you just destroy everything. Priority is the only way to take it down, meaning you need to keep your Gunk, Dour etc. safe if you see a Hippopotas lead.

Scarf Darumakka can SWEEP. Yes, not just revenge kill, SWEEP. It can also scout and break holes in a team. Flare Blitz punches large holes in the opponent's team, and lategame, Fire Punch is powerful enough for a sweep. U-Turn lets it scout, and Brick Break lets it hit Munchlax.

That's it for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)