Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKIII *Official Media Only*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think my favorite thing about z-moves is the opposing pokemon's nonchalance while a super-powered nuke of an attack rains down on them. These new ones all look really cool.

These UBs are crazy. They truly look like expected eldritch abominations. I love them.

Alolan Dugtrio's new ability isn't that great. At least it has fabulous hair.

I feel you, bro.

I seriously cannot stand those trainer animations, though - I hope you can skip them entirely, at least in future titles.

I like how UB-03 has like, 5 legs. I couldn't tell if it was a three legged weirdo or if it was just a tail at first. This pleases me.

EDIT: Pokemon website has updated with Version exclusives! Huzzah!

• Passimian, Tortonator and Alolan-Vulpix for Sun
  • Oranguru, Drampa and Alolan-Sandshrew for Moon.

Midday and Midnight Lycanroc can be found in either Sun/Moon, website says to check at day and night. Thank goodness. There's also official artwork for the Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon black prism ... thing leaked in the CoroCoro. For some reason there's no information on the UB-03 at all, probably an oversight.

Last edited:
Even if I wasn't going for Popplio, I think I'm obligated to with Primarina's move. That is the most Dragon-Ball-Z-esque thing that I've ever seen out of Pokémon, and she reminded me of Frieza when she did it with that grin on her face. It doesn't hurt that her eyes are unreadable, but seem cheery.

I wonder if any of these Z-moves will be dual typed. It seems that this would be the medium to let dual-typed attacks shine. It seems odd that Primarina is the only one to use her attack against a type weak to her primary in the Japanese video. On the other hand, Dicidueye used his on Marowak, a ghost type, and Incineroar used his on Alakazam, a psychic type. Neither of these defending type were weak to the user's primary type, but they were weak to the user's secondary types.

I also love the theme music for the Ultra Beasts, and that last clip at the end of the English trailer where it was recounting everything up to this point was kind of sad. These build up periods are enjoyable, and this one is almost over. Hopefully we'll start up again for that Switch game in a year.

This was a pretty good trailer. It feels like the perfect amount of information to drop right before the games come out so even more hype can be generated.

This thing is pure nightmare fuel, but I love it anyway. It's design radiates "Don't mess with me" and sets the tone for what the Ultra Beasts will probably be like.

Now to make a 180 degree turn to talk about something that's downright hilarious!

After seeing screenshots of Alolan-Dugtrio in the demo, I thought it was the funniest thing, and now that its been officially revealed, it's even better! I like how its official art looks like it has a nice tan! I thought it couldn't get any better until I read its dex entry.
In the Alola region, Dugtrio is revered as an incarnation of the god of the land, and it’s treated with great importance. This is why the people of Alola fall to their knees and bow deeply whenever they come across an Alolan Dugtrio that has poked its faces out of its burrow. Alolan Dugtrio’s whiskers shine with a brilliance akin to golden hair. The whiskers are flexible, just like Diglett’s, but hard and strong. They continue to grow throughout an Alolan Dugtrio’s life, although at a very slow rate. Removing Alolan Dugtrio whiskers from the Alola region is prohibited. It’s said that those who take them receive divine punishment. Every year, many tourists come back, apparently to return whiskers they had taken. There is a superstitious belief that many Alolan Dugtrio come out of their holes on a day when a volcano will erupt. Older residents of Alola will flee immediately at the sight. It’s thought that Alolan Dugtrio, which live beneath the ground’s surface, detect movements in the ground that indicate an impending eruption and are so alarmed that they come aboveground.

The only thing better than Alolan-Wigtrio is Alolan-Wigtrio being worshiped as a god.

"This is why the people of Alola fall to their knees and bow deeply whenever they come across an Alolan Dugtrio that has poked its faces out of its burrow."

"There is a superstitious belief that many Alolan Dugtrio come out of their holes on a day when a volcano will erupt. Older residents of Alola will flee immediately at the sight."

Bow down to me and run away at the same time, mongrels!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
WHOOT! New trailer just before the release. Huh? Leaks? What leaks? *cough*

Starter Z-Move: Glad the Starters get a Z-Move :). I don't know, but with stuff like Mega Evolution and now Z-Moves it feels strange when the Starters don't get something additional (though this really only applies to the Kalos Starters except Greninja. Actually Greninja getting something but not Delphox and Chesnaught makes it seem even stranger, why no Serena-Delphox or Clemont-Chesnaught, huh designers? You could even have a Bonnie-Dedenne. Now back on point).
I don't have much to say except they all look great and powerful. Decidueye raining arrows down on the opponent, Incineroar creating a wrestling ring and attacking by jumping by high off the belt, and Primarina creating a water spirit bomb she explodes while singing. I'd say these are provably the first Z-Crystals you'll get though then again maybe they'd wait until at a point of the game where you should have either reached or about to get the Starters final evo.

Ultra Beasts: Had it not been for the leaks this would have been a major video. Not only does it show more Ultra Beasts, but it also shows them battling! And that when you battle them they get an aura just like the Totem Pokemon! The battles also look normal, course who knows what else these creatures from another dimension may have up their sleeve, especially if they're using mechanics similar to the Totem Pokemon (I haven't seen story spoilers so I don't know, I'm hoping there's more than just a straight battle).
Odd CoroCoro didn't give us the number or names of the two Ultra Beasts it showed yet these two did. Are the ones in CoroCoro important, I don't think they said they are?
No description on UB03-Lighting, though it certainly looks odd. And once again, had the leaks not happened people would be freaking out by now how it looks like Guzma (and theories of it having no description probably because anything said about it would be spoilers). I've dropped my theory at this point, especially since the games will be out in a few more days. Related to Guzma or not, we'll be battling it and the other UBs soon enough to know the deal.
holy s***, UB guzma is actually christmas lights
Huh? *Watches video again* Oh, you're right O_o. It's a string of Christmas lights! Huh, like obviously I knew it was meant to be wires and plugs but didn't think it was a specific kind of wire, lol.
UB05-Gluttony (er, where's 4? Are the ones in CoroCoro UB-04? Is there two of them like with 2?) has a description. It eats everything yet creates no waste, possibly converting everything it eats into energy. So essentially its a black hole, alright, that plus its appearance is intimidating enough to make be worried about battling this thing. Though before this info I kind of thought this guy was going to be the boss of the Ultra Beasts or the final Ultra Beast brought over. I mean it could still be, its description doesn't say one way or another.

Alolan Diglett & Dugtrio: Wasn't expecting part Steel-type.
I've been reading some facebook comments and... could Alolan Dugtrio's hair and relation to volcanoes be related to Pele?
The "whiskers" they now are a reference to a material called "Pele's Hair", thin strands of volcanic glass. If you're wondering why its Steel-type, a manufactured version called "mineral wool used for insulation is made by using recycled steel slag.
But why do they have the whiskers? Well living in a volcanic region you kind of need to know what's going on around you do the whiskers are sensitive to vibrations in the ground. And much like a cat's whiskers, they also show Diglett's mood.
Oh, but it gets better, Alolan Dugtrio's glorious locks of whiskers are treated with great admiration in Alola. People even consider it a land deity and bow to it if one appears in front of them. Though they might run soon after as its also believed a batch of them appearing at once is a sign of an eruption (well at least they aren't blamed for it, right Absol?). Anyway cutting the whiskers is forbidden and punishable (though considering how groomed the hair looks I don't thin anyone listens, though the whiskers grow back but slowly), tourists often coming back to return whiskers that they took.
Anyway the hair isn't only for aesthetics, they have a battling purpose. They get a Signature Ability called "Tangling Hair"... which is a Gooey clone, it reduces the Speed of Pokemon who attack it with a contact move. Well with its new Steel-typing maybe it can provide some support, though too bad it needed to lose Arena Trap to do so...

Version Exclusives: On the site they confirmed a whole batch of version exclusives, handy if you're still undecided what version you want.

Sun: Passimian, Alolan Vulpix, Turtonator
Moon: Oranguru, Alolan Sandshrew, Drampa

Passimian/Oranguru we already knew and not surprised the two Ice-type Alolan forms are version exclusive, though I am that Turtonator and Drampa are. I never really say the two as counterparts, though thinking about it they are both Dragon-types.

Another interesting bit of news is that, though you can only evolve Rockruff into one of its form depending what version you have, you may be able to get the other in the Wild! So Moon Players may not be out of luck just yet!... oh, and Sun players I guess can add Midnight Form to their dex or something.

Mysterious Black Prism Titan Pokemon: It says hello.

Yeah they showed you at a certain point you battle one of them, but you don't know whether at a later point the other one battles you.
It would quite refreshing if UB-04 was Absorbtion in Moon and Beauty in Sun. These things seem to be touted as legendary-like, and we haven't had version exclusive legendaries together in the initial generational games since Gold and Silver.

Given the implication that the naming system seems to be human-borne, it would make much more sense if the Ultra Beasts are named in the order that they are discovered, which would clear up the issue of two unique and seemingly unrelated beings having the same classification.

After seeing their official artwork, I am disappointed that the model of Alola Diglett and Dugtrio is the exact same light colour as regular Diglett and Dugtrio. They should have a brown tan to make the surfer dude jokes complete.

And those little hairs on Diglett´s head are whiskers? Aren´t whiskers usually located on the face, like in cat, mice and moles? Some whiskers in the face would have also made the blonde hair on their heads look less out of place.

Kinda disappointed that Alolan Vulpix is Sun-exclusive, and I already preordered Moon. Considered using it. At least there's always trading.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but sun and moon really fucked up when it comes to showing the trainer in the background. I recently saw a photo of a trainer in battle with a wailord and the two are of comparable size, in fact the trainer is probably larger. It looks so unbelievably bad it's not even funny. I'm fairly certain that this specific instance wasn't specifically "revealed", but the whole trainer standing behind the pokemon has been, so I thought it would be worth mentioning. Initially I thought it would be cool, but now I realize there are so many instances where it just won't work. Come on gamefreak, if you're going to implement something new, do it right or don't do it at all.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but sun and moon really fucked up when it comes to showing the trainer in the background. I recently saw a photo of a trainer in battle with a wailord and the two are of comparable size, in fact the trainer is probably larger. It looks so unbelievably bad it's not even funny. I'm fairly certain that this specific instance wasn't specifically "revealed", but the whole trainer standing behind the pokemon has been, so I thought it would be worth mentioning. Initially I thought it would be cool, but now I realize there are so many instances where it just won't work. Come on gamefreak, if you're going to implement something new, do it right or don't do it at all.
Maybe it's an XS Wailord from a future version of Pokemon GO?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The thing is this isn't new, they had the trainer standing behind the Pokemon in the Colosseum games and Battle Revolution and there Wailord was its proper size (well, maybe a bit smaller, but it was still fairly larger than the trainer).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)