Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Not sure if this was bought up but I just noticed the Electric Captain has a Gameboy with a Link Cable on his T-Shirt and a D-Pad on his belt. Nice detail for the 20th Anniversary.

That's not a D-Pad, that's the symbol for the Captains. Each of the revealed Captains has one on them somewhere with the top piece in that Captain's color. I think its suppose to be a flower. I presented the idea if could maybe also be the "Badge" of these games or you may have your own which you fill up with the color petals won from Captains.

But I'll make up for it by pointing out that he has a Substitute doll keyring on his belt, behind the Electrode keyring. His scarf also looks like Pikachu's tail. ;)

So I've got a few questions about breeding, since I assume there will be breeding in Sun & Moon. For example, will Mimikyu be in the undiscovered egg group? Will it need to take off its disguise in order to breed or something? :o

Additionally, I'm wondering if Pokemon will be able to breed in their Alola forms, like Ice / Steel Sandslash or 60-foot tall Exeggcutor. This could give a lot of potentially unique moves to Pokemon, like for example Ninetales passing down Ice Beam and Sheer Cold to different Fire-types! That would be cool. But how would Alola's Exeggcutor breed with anything…

Anyway, I am excited about the gym news! I like how Game Freak has chosen to shake things up and not keep giving us the same formula for progressing through the game, over and over. Though I still don't really understand how the whole process really works in Alola, I'll have to watch the trailer again. I'm also agreeing with Pikachu315111 that I like how they've given us info about the region and such, maybe we'll get some island lore next :P
Mimikyu will probably be in Amorphous with most of the other Ghost-types.

As for how it and Exeggutor breeds, Pokemon doesn't think about that. Pokemon just don't.

From what I understand you get to an island, beat all the Captain's Trials, beat the Kahuna, and go to the next island. The question they have yet to answer what happens when you beat the last Kahuna?

You shouldn't worry about how a Pokemon breeds... The Internet will find the answers to those questions, and it will scar you when you try to find a cool wallpaper or Google that species.

I'm still in the aftershock of realizing how imaginative the people got with Rhyperior hand holes...

I just wanted a cool Rhyperior firing geodudes wallpaper...got scarred for life.

Last edited:
It looks like a D-Pad. Almost unmistakably.
Looks like it, yes. But the other captains have a similar symbol with the top part being their corresponding color (i.e. mallow's is green) so it isnt that. I wonder if there's any significance to the fact that all of them have the same bit colored?

Also: regarding Z-moves and if non-attack moves count or not, i want to bring up a fact. Regardless, Mew can learn all of the Z-moves. Will that be enough to get it back into Ubers? I kind of doubt it due to it being once a battle, but it is fairly unpredictable in which one it could be, and it would have a fairly decent chance of knocking out whatever it hits with said Z-move... I wonder how comparable to Greninja it would be.

Looks like it, yes. But the other captains have a similar symbol with the top part being their corresponding color (i.e. mallow's is green) so it isnt that. I wonder if there's any significance to the fact that all of them have the same bit colored?

Also: regarding Z-moves and if non-attack moves count or not, i want to bring up a fact. Regardless, Mew can learn all of the Z-moves. Will that be enough to get it back into Ubers? I kind of doubt it due to it being once a battle, but it is fairly unpredictable in which one it could be, and it would have a fairly decent chance of knocking out whatever it hits with said Z-move... I wonder how comparable to Greninja it would be.
It's way too early to start speculating competitive impact in any fashion.

Will SM be directly compatible with XYORAS for trading purposes (like RBY and GSC) or will we have to use Pokébank to move Pokémon to the next Gen?
I am just wondering if there is a way to move the Strange Souvenir to SM or not.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Bulk Up Talonflame with Fighting-type Z-Move (and maybe Acrobatics if the crystal is consumed) to deal with Tyranitar and Heatran could be nice.
I have a feeling it won't work for status moves, otherwise almost everything would be able to learn the poison one due to Toxic, and a huge amount of pokemon would be able to use the fire and water ones because of Sunny Day/Rain Dance, both of which are learned by tons of pokemon. Also a lot of status moves are psychic type as well.

So everyone's saying the leak about Yungoos' evolution being 'fat and hairy' was right, but... am I the only one who's really not seeing it? Like, at all?

It's sort of large and has some slightly hairy bits, but nothing that I'd say is a defining factor. If anything it looks pretty sleek to me; I really don't see how the leaks' description matches up at all.
Yeah, it has plenty of hair to go around, but if that's supposed to be fat, then I'm fat!

Do you think of the rumors Growlithe / Arcanine water type, new hairstyles for Furfrou and a possible new Pokémon Ice / Ghost based on a snowman?

To me so far I revealed everything I like, I'm delighted. This time do not know if I will be able to control my emotions. They are bringing out many things and all good.
Actually, Aquanine (yes, that is my working name!) reminds me of Woofpool (hey, we even have a potential nickname already! I'll you use it in exchange for a Moody Bidoof), the old Pokégod.

It's even possible that other Alolan variants might be inspired by other Pokégods, and why the hell not? Ice type Haunter (Frozone) or Fire type Starmie (Starmish) seems like a good way of acknowledging and using the creativity of fans from way back.

And considering that Mega Charizard is pretty much Charcoal and Mega Mewtwo Mewtree, it isn't like they haven't already started a precedent.

Plus, the fanbase will go nuts!

All I'd like to see is Alolan formes of non-Gen I Pokemon. At least they could try to pretend it's not pure fanservice material.
To be fair, Gen I Pokémon tend to be the ones who need updates the most, though Gen II and Gen IV are close behind.

I guess this does raise the question of: what's the purpose of Alolan forms? I would like it to be giving new life to outclassed Pokémon, but Sandslash seems to be the only one to really fit that mold; there are many Ground types that do what Classic Sandslash does, only better. Classic Ninetales already has a niche with Drought. Or has Mega Charizard Y completely usurped that spot? I haven't been keeping up. Exeggutor was the only Grass-Psychic type allowed in official formats, so it seems weird to lose it. Not that Grass-Psychic is a great type combination; it has a ton of weaknesses. Although uh Grass-Dragon has almost as many weaknesses, and arguably Dragon is a poorer attacking type than Psychic.

Will SM be directly compatible with XYORAS for trading purposes (like RBY and GSC) or will we have to use Pokébank to move Pokémon to the next Gen?
I am just wondering if there is a way to move the Strange Souvenir to SM or not.

I'd be surprised if we could transfer the strange souvenir, I think it was just an Easter egg to hint that the next region would be A tropical island. It would be awesome if transferring it would start some kind of side quest tho. And I can't imagine there being direct 6th and 7th gem trading, but at this point anything is possible.

I could go on as to why I think the thread should be locked, but I'm not going to.

Rather, I'm going to ask this: Am I the only one who likes all of the Alolan starter evos?
I rather like Litten evos design wise as well.

He reminds me of Wolverine in a way, what with those claws and huge muscles. And I like the facial expressions. Lots of character. I think the problem with Emboar is that he is so bulky he looks fat, so in addition to not being viable below UU, he doesn't even look very cool.

Not here. He looks like a werewolf that isn't a wolf, and if he has the same type as Houndoom, then depending on the stats and Hidden Ability, he might find a niche in UU and above. I know many of you wanted a quadruped, but you can't argue that he doesn't look cool (fire crotch not withstanding!)!!!

At the very least, it we were to have to guess tiering based on looks alone.

Edit: and the other evo designs are pretty cool well.

Yes. That Stage 2 Litten is absolute utter garbage and you know it.
I rest my case.

I could go on as to why I think the thread should be locked, but I'm not going to.

Rather, I'm going to ask this: Am I the only one who likes all of the Alolan starter evos?

I'm mainly talking about Litten's final evo (who I'm calling Cenya until its official name is released). Apparently it's a Dark-type heel wrestler, which I think is rather creative and cool. Sure, it sucks that it's bipedal (and as such it's my least favorite of the bunch), but it has a badass design that I definitely prefer over Blaziken's and Emboar's, and I think it's just as good as Infernape's. My only other gripes are the fact that everyone's gonna name theirs John Cena or something and this unfortunate design element:

Source
Okay, maybe it doesn't pee fire but Mallow was still shown cooking tea on its crotch. Yeah, let's stop there.

I also think Rowlet's evolution redeemed it big time, and I'm in love with Popplio's final evolution. In other words: I WANT TO BELIEVE
You are, but if it makes you feel better, I do really like the design for Litten's final form (as long as it is Fire/Dark). I'm just not a fan of Popplio's.
Also, Rowlet doesn't need to be redeemed since he is already a perfect cinnamon roll that's too good for this world.

Am I the only the one that doesn't see the problem with Alolan Exeggutor's dragon typing?

• Its got 3 heads like a hydra
  • Has a long ass neck which many dragons are depicted with
  • Bottom half of its body is pretty reptilian with that tail and scaly look
  • IT'S 35 FEET TALL
  • EDIT: It's also supposedly based off the Dragon palm tree
Even if it wasn't dragon type, what type would it be? Psychic? Regular Exeggutor didn't even have any "psychic" features to begin with, let alone this form.
Even if it doesn't have a reason, I still like it. I mean, this is Pokémon. Weird designs are common.

...to go with my "(9)tales" Alola Ninetales.
Will someone please explain this? I can't figure it out or find out why.

Last edited:
Reactions: JES

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
To be fair, Gen I Pokémon tend to be the ones who need updates the most, though Gen II and Gen IV are close behind.
I daresay it's Gen V, actually. Most of them have not been updated at all.

- Gen IV featured many cross-generation evolutions, and completely overhauled the move mechanics. Gen V 'mons were, obviously, not around to experience this shift, unlike those from gens I-III
- Gen V itself gave us Hidden Abilities, completely changing the face of many Pokémon (Ninetales, Politoed, Dragonite, Blaziken, the list goes on). But Gen V Pokémon had those faces from their onset. We never had a chance to see them without their Hidden Abilities.
- Gen VI gave us Mega Evolutions. The only Gen V Pokémon to have one is f-ing Audino.

Gen I has been around since, well, Gen I, and its Pokémon has got access to all the fancy new toys every time. Every generation brought change to some, if not all, Gen I Pokémon. New evolutions. Abilities. New evolutions again, plus new move mechanics and more abilities. Hidden Abilities. Megas. Gen I got it all. Gen II slightly less. But we've yet to see a full overhaul of the Gen V 'mons, again apart from Audino.

All I'd like to see is Alolan formes of non-Gen I Pokemon. At least they could try to pretend it's not pure fanservice material.
I mentioned this before, but with Pokemon Go bringing back so many old players, it's possible that these Alolan forms of gen 1 pokemon are meant to get them interested in SM. As much as I'd like to see other generation pokemon getting Alolan forms, I kind of doubt it's gonna happen. My biggest concern with Alolan forms though is that some of the pokemon who get them won't make any sense. And while I'm sure some people will say that certain Alolan forms already don't make sense, at least they have some sort of explanation behind them. I like the concept of it, but I don't want to have pokemon randomly getting Alolan forms when they don't need them.

- Gen IV featured many cross-generation evolutions, and completely overhauled the move mechanics. Gen V 'mons were, obviously, not around to experience this shift, unlike those from gens I-III
- Gen V itself gave us Hidden Abilities, completely changing the face of many Pokémon (Ninetales, Politoed, Dragonite, Blaziken, the list goes on). But Gen V Pokémon had those faces from their onset. We never had a chance to see them without their Hidden Abilities.
- Gen VI gave us Mega Evolutions. The only Gen V Pokémon to have one is f-ing Audino.

Gen I has been around since, well, Gen I, and its Pokémon has got access to all the fancy new toys every time. Every generation brought change to some, if not all, Gen I Pokémon. New evolutions. Abilities. New evolutions again, plus new move mechanics and more abilities. Hidden Abilities. Megas. Gen I got it all. Gen II slightly less. But we've yet to see a full overhaul of the Gen V 'mons, again apart from Audino.
Even Audino would have prefered a real evolution over its current fate. Being doomed to rot in unused-Mega hell.

I think I see what you're saying here, and although your conclusion may be sound, your logic is flawed. Just because a Pokémon has received more generations of updates, that doesn't make it stronger than a more recent Pokémon; the more recent Pokémon, on average, started out far more powerful than the older ones did.

But you have a good point that many 1st-gen Pokémon have either gotten strong evolutions or strong Mega evolutions. And there are plenty of underpowered 5th-gen Pokémon, especially since GameFreak seems bent on making almost every generation a weak Bug-type, a weak rodent, and a weak bird for its starting areas. And also they keep cranking out single-form weaklings like Delibird and Stunfisk.

Anyway I would also love to see some Alolan forms of later-gen Pokémon, but I won't be too sad if they're all 1st gen in Sun and Moon. If nothing else, those are the Pokémon that have been frustrating us with their weakness for the longest period of time.

Even Audino would have prefered a real evolution over its current fate. Being doomed to rot in unused-Mega hell.
Is Mega Audino not a good support Pokémon for Doubles (and Triples)? (Forgive me, I haven't been really into the competitive battling scene since 4th gen.) I mean obviously it's lousy in Singles; it has a useless Ability and awful attacking stats. But it has great bulk, Heal Pulse, etc.

Is Mega Audino not a good support Pokémon for Doubles (and Triples)? (Forgive me, I haven't been really into the competitive battling scene since 4th gen.) I mean obviously it's lousy in Singles; it has a useless Ability and awful attacking stats. But it has great bulk, Heal Pulse, etc.
Mega Audino means no Mega Kangaskhan or Mega Salamence or Mega Charizard-Y which means no Mega Audino.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Mega Audino means no Mega Kangaskhan or Mega Salamence or Mega Charizard-Y which means no Mega Audino.
What kills Mega Audino's chance of being useful is its Ability. Healer just isn't that good, especially when compared to normal Audion's Regenerator (also Audino gets Heal Bell). It's also slow. However if they give Mega Audino the new Triage Ability and if Triage works on Heal Pulse...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)