Gen V Initial NU Metagame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
butterfree is more dangerous than people make it out to be

sleep powder + quiver dance + attacking moves almost swept me

If being vulnerable to all sort of entry hazards isn't a big deal to grounded spinners such as Staryu and Wartortle, why is Cryogonal's SR weakness a problem when it's immune to the others?

Even if Cryogonal is SR weak it's still immune to Spikes/TS. This alone makes it a great spinner. And unlike Baltoy, it can actually attack. Please stop assuming that a SR weakness is automatically horrible for a spinner.

Its low defense is its only true weakness but unless you're stupid you're not keeping it into physical threats anyway. Yes Cryo is forced out whenever the opponent brings a physical attacker in, but if it managed to use Rapid Spin then it has done its job.
Because 99% of teams use Stealth Rock. Spikes and Toxic Spikes are much less common. If you want a frail, fast spinner with Recover use Startup, who isn't SR weak.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
With Compoundeyes isn't it like a 95% Accuracy Sleep Powder?
something like that

someone was on the ladder earlier with only a butterfree, almost swept me...
i won 3-0 when relicanth tanked a +6 psychic (i think) and finished it off with waterfall

CB slaking is a beast down here. it outspeeds almost every non-scarf pokemon, most pokemon can't tank a neutral CB return/frustration or a SE coverage attack, and the main reason not to use slaking in the upper tiers, setup bait, isn't much of a problem since the sweepers are much less deadly here, and if paired with a sableye, physical sweepers won't be doing anything when there burned either way

Slaking, Butterfree, and Zweilous appear to be dominant threats. As said, cb slaking can revenge VERY well with retaliate and has return, ice punch, eq to go along with it.

I am disappointed in NU, all I've been seeing on the ladder is random useless shit. People really need to see that NU is not where anything can work and there are plenty of really good pokemon that are actually usable. Then again, the ladder just came out recently so this makes sense.

Stuff like Slowking, Tangela, Scolipede and Miltank shouldn't be going under the radar, especially when Slowking can tank most of the tier and is almost impossible to OHKO.

Also, Slaking is great and all, but it's only really useful on more stall-ish teams since it needs to switch out a ton.

a fairy

Community Leader
I am disappointed in NU, all I've been seeing on the ladder is random useless shit. People really need to see that NU is not where anything can work and there are plenty of really good pokemon that are actually usable. Then again, the ladder just came out recently so this makes sense.

I've seen good stuff. What are you seeing?

Stuff like Slowking, Tangela, Scolipede and Miltank shouldn't be going under the radar, especially when Slowking can tank most of the tier and is almost impossible to OHKO.
I've seen loads of Scolipedes and Militanks.

Tangela lacks offensive presense. For me, it just turns into Screen Setup Fodder, and my Altaria couldn't care less about being seeded if it gets some free DD's. It has Roost, after all.

Slowking is a special defender, and NU is primarily physical. Slowking might not get OHKO'ed by a lot [By the way, things like Pinsir, and Scolipede can probobly OHKO Slowking, as well as boosting attackers], but he's gonna be taking more than 50% from non-resisted attacks from powerhouses like Rhydon, or things like Rapidash's Megahorn/Wild Charge.

95/80 physical defenses is bulky, I'll give Slowking that, but it's still not much in the face of some of the attacking forces in NU. Slowking simply cannot tank things like Guts Swellow as well as it should. Although, to be honest, there's not a lot in NU that CAN tank things like Gust Swellow. A defensive evolite Onix was taking over 30% damage from Facade...

That said, I'm one of those players who constantly underestimates defense. I'm almost completely incapable of playing Stall myself, after all...

EDIT:

Just played a Slowking. It took over 25% from Rapidash's Flare Blitz, and 60% from Rhydon's EQ.

On the other hand, Wish Shelgon is a complete peice of work.

Why would you make Slowking try to tank and tank guts swellow? O_o Nothing that doesn't resist normal/flying can tank it. Slowking does just fine tanking physical attackers, and he can tank special attacks really well, obviously. Slowking tanks a ton of the tier, but he obviously has trouble with some of the threats you mentioned. However, Slowking is switching a ton, so as long as there aren't a bunch of threats that can force it out on a team, Slowking does amazing.

Lady Salamance, I've been seeing a lot of pokemon like Zebstirka, Gigalith, Butterfree, Magcargo, Ramparados, etc. (Golem is honestly quite a bit better, ground-rock is a better dual typing and golem also has sucker punch.) The NU ladder is better then it was yesterday, though.

Rapidash pretty much hard counters it. The worst Sableye can do is Thunder Wave.
Rapidash is good, I was using it in RU as a Sableye counter before I started using it down here. Even though it is a good counter, most its moves are recoil, and its SR weak, so with the lack of decent spinners in the tier, it does have a hard swtiching into Sableye repeatedly

Rapidash is good, I was using it in RU as a Sableye counter before I started using it down here. Even though it is a good counter, most its moves are recoil, and its SR weak, so with the lack of decent spinners in the tier, it does have a hard swtiching into Sableye repeatedly
That isn't the way you look at defensive suspects, defensive suspects should be suspected on how many threats they can switch in and cripple/beat. If you look at this as how you counter defensive pokemon, good luck finding many "counters" since a lot get crippled on the switch.

(Please note that in this post I am not sharing my opinion of what I think of Sableye, I am currently unsure.)

Hail teams have been a huge thorn in my side. StallRein is a beast as always, and things like Jynx and Rotom-F hit hard with Blizzard.

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I don't know if this has been posted yet,but some released DW abilities like Raichu and Mr.Mime are not allowed in the ladder.

I thought Emboar's was released too and it didn't let me use that D:

EDIT: Wait, why were you trying to use Raichu? o.O

Why would you make Slowking try to tank and tank guts swellow? O_o Nothing that doesn't resist normal/flying can tank it. Slowking does just fine tanking physical attackers, and he can tank special attacks really well, obviously. Slowking tanks a ton of the tier, but he obviously has trouble with some of the threats you mentioned. However, Slowking is switching a ton, so as long as there aren't a bunch of threats that can force it out on a team, Slowking does amazing.

Lady Salamance, I've been seeing a lot of pokemon like Zebstirka, Gigalith, Butterfree, Magcargo, Ramparados, etc. (Golem is honestly quite a bit better, ground-rock is a better dual typing and golem also has sucker punch.) The NU ladder is better then it was yesterday, though.
*looks at avatar* yeah, you might be a bit dilusional about your favorite mon, but slowking isnt that great unless hes tanking special hits, which his typing is lolbad for(psychic..) slowbro can actually tank guts swellow though

*looks at avatar* yeah, you might be a bit dilusional about your favorite mon, but slowking isnt that great unless hes tanking special hits, which his typing is lolbad for(psychic..) slowbro can actually tank guts swellow though
..Too bad Slowbro is a couple tiers above this one.

Am I the only one using choice scarf bravairy? I pair it with roselia (for spikes) Wartortle (for spinning) and Rhydon (for rocks) and after 1 layer of spike damage and Rocks, almost everything crumbles under Brave bird spam (or frustration if I cant spin).

The only problem i have had with hail thus far was one battle where I almost lost too a beartic (sub punch) thanks too repeated missing -.-, but apart from that having mons weak too SR at a time where there are precious little spinners seems odd too me.

PS Sableye < magmortar with flamethrower. its a OHKO with spikes + rocks and LO (may only need 2 of the 3), and it generally cant do anything back, it may cripple me with an iron ball but at least I can spam Bravairy now ;O

Also, to all you noobs using Sawk. Get on my level and use Bulk Up Circle Throw Throh. (say that five times fast). I can safely say that it has gotten me out of a whole after being down 1-4 on more than one occasion now, including against Eo Ut Mortus (yeah, don't wanna brag, but I beat him <3)

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Gurdurr is really good, especially in a metagame that's so heavily concentrated on physical attacks like this one. After a Bulk Up, Sawk's CC does about 27% on average to my build and you OHKO (or I guess drop it down due to Sturdy and KO with Mach Punch) and recover the lost health easy. Gurdurr can also function as a status sponge, eating Will-o-Wisps and T-waves like it's nothing and even getting stronger because of them. It's been a huge boon and has consistently held its weight throughout most of the matches I've played with it.

a fairy

Community Leader
Also, to all you noobs using Sawk. Get on my level and use Bulk Up Circle Throw Throh. (say that five times fast). I can safely say that it has gotten me out of a whole after being down 1-4 on more than one occasion now, including against Eo Ut Morty (yeah, don't wanna brag, but I beat him <3)
fix'd

Also, yeah Throh is p. good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)